[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nostalgia thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

What the title says.
>>
Was it orange to reduce burn in?
>>
I've never used a Windows 9x PC that didn't automatically shut off.
>>
>>3231518
The "It's now safe to turn off your computer" screen was there for older PCs with an AT-type power supply. Most PCs made after Windows 95 came out had ATX power supplies with auto shutoff. XP still has this feature and I think Vista was the first version of Windows that no longer supports AT power supplies.
>>
>>3231528
Yeah, pretty much any PC from 1996 onwards was ATX. I bought a PC in 1995 literally on the same day Windows 95 came out (top of the range) and it was still AT.
>>
File: Im-Just-Saiyan.jpg (55KB, 777x709px) Image search: [Google]
Im-Just-Saiyan.jpg
55KB, 777x709px
I see this quite frequently in Reddit 90s nawstalgia comics, but I never saw the INSTTOYC screen on any of the PCs I used.
>>
>>3231510
Is this 95 or 98? I remember being struck as a kid because my 95 screen said "It is now possible to turn off the computer" which was the most literal translation ever I think, but I did not yet know that "possible" was an actual word of itself as I only knew "impossible" which is the polar opposite so I was always frightened by turning off the computer but my dad was okay so I just did in spite of what was written on the screen.

Windows 98 turned it into "You can now turn off the computer", which I was much more okay with.
>>
>>3231528
XP can run on a 386 PC if the motherboard supports enough RAM (64MB). I think only some $7000 servers and workstations actually could take that much memory though.
>>
>>3231559
I don't see the point of this statement, even if the 386 its compatible it would take over an hour to only boot and even then it would be impossible to use.

It was barely usable for me in a Pentium 150 with 64MB.

And if it can run in a 386 it can run with less RAM to (you bypass the RAM lock), I got a version of Windows Vista without the 512MB RAM minimum at the beginning of the installation.
>>
>>3231528
Why didn't they just keep as shutting down to DOS like with the previous versions? It would have been save to turn it off in DOS since there were no programs running in the background.

How did other OS handle it?
>>
>go to store to buy playstation and PC gaming magazines to get demo discs

>magazines still there but demo discs all stolen
>>
>>3231693
> Why didn't they just keep as shutting down to DOS like with the previous versions?
They wanted to look it like a standalone system but not a fancy shell over DOS.
>>
File: noid-hero.jpg (44KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
noid-hero.jpg
44KB, 640x430px
>>
>>3231554
They never said "possible". Did you have some sort of translated version or something?
>>
File: turbo.jpg (38KB, 268x324px) Image search: [Google]
turbo.jpg
38KB, 268x324px
>>
My family bought our first PC with windows 95 on it in 97 and it still had this message on it
>>
>>3231857
Who was the first manufacturer to use a turbo button?
Why did they call it turbo instead of throttle?
>>
File: df man.png (5KB, 387x276px) Image search: [Google]
df man.png
5KB, 387x276px
>>3231857
>mfw i found out it actually slow the PC down.
>>
>>3231929

Depended on the manufacturer, after all you are completely free to choose how to interpret the status of a switch.
I remember our first computer had a turbo button that made it actually faster when it was pushed in.
>>
>>3231853
Yes, as it would be quite hard to translate English into English. So it wasn't a translation fault after all.

>>3231857
I have this, it makes my 486DX2 get back to 486DX and vice versa, really useful for the few games which hang on startup or are really too fast being CPU timed.
>>
>>3231963
They only went as far as the CPU was designed to go. They didn't overclock it or use magic.
I kind of wanted a turbo button and clock display when I build my computer but I don't know how to do it.
>>
>>3231559
XP needs a pentium. 486 or the like don't work.
>>
>>3231559
>>3231623
>>3232004
Also this: http://winhistory.de/more/386/xpmini.htm.en
>>
>>3231510
I remember this in Windows 95. Was it also in Windows 98? I can't remember.
>>
>>3231997

Indeed no, they more or less "underclocked" it, but you could make it seem like boosting by reversing the position of the switch HI and LO, then it would seem like when pressing it the computer got faster, that this speed is the default and in fact with the switch out it is a slow mode- and not a fast mode with it in- was then not really apparent, it felt like a speed boost.
>>
>>3232020
It had nothing to do with your OS dumbo.
>>
>>3232095
Yeah it did because it was up to the author of that particular OS whether to include it. Are you saying it's in Windows 10? Linux? MacOS? Android?
>>
>>3232095
What the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>3232020
Yes, I don't know whether it received any visual upgrade with 2000.

>>3232095
It's a 320x400 splash BMP, it's definitely something Windows loads.
>>
>>3232095
>>3232095
Yes it did you fucking imbicile. Dont say shit if.you.don't know what you're talking about
>>
I remember back when I was happy...
>>
It's just like one of my Japanese animes
>>
>>3232332
Doesn't that say "KONPYUTAA..."? It's probably the exact same thing.
>>
>>3232359
>コンピュータの電源を切る準備ができました
Preparations for cutting the power source of the computer have been made
>>
>>3232363
I love how Asian languages are so formal and sincere in everything.
>>
>>3232370
It's more that the alien grammar and idioms cause people to tend toward overly stilted translations to avoid misrepresenting the original meaning.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.