[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Gems released after a successor console was released.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 16

File: Wario's_Woods_NES.jpg (39KB, 250x360px) Image search: [Google]
Wario's_Woods_NES.jpg
39KB, 250x360px
The typical norm has been for support to stop for a game console once its successor got released.

However, there are quite a few notable (shining) examples.

Pic related was released when the Famicom was going nearing 11 years old, and its among the best puzzle games on the console, and definitely an overlooked gem.

Those who have Animal Crossing for the GameCube can actually play this classic.
>>
>>3227729
>Those who have Animal Crossing for the GameCube can actually play this classic.

Too bad you need the GBA link adapter to unlock it.

AC is a great NES games collection but actually unlocking games on it is actually hard or you need a gameshark or something like that. The only game I ever got was Balloon Fight (twice!)
>>
File: smugpepewithsmugwojak.png (272KB, 696x537px) Image search: [Google]
smugpepewithsmugwojak.png
272KB, 696x537px
>>3227734
Need only a Universal Code to give to Tom Nook:
bA5PC%8JUjE5fj 1EcGr4%ync5eup

Your welcome.
>>
>>3227729
Kirby's Adventure tops my list
I miss when a console had continued support after the release of it's successor
>>
it's a shame this game doesn't get more love
>>
File: FireEmblemThracia776box.jpg (50KB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
FireEmblemThracia776box.jpg
50KB, 640x352px
Pic related is the king of post N64 release Super Nintendo games. It is probably the pinnacle of the Fire Emblem series, and it was released when the Super Famicom was nine years old and over three years after the Nintendo 64's release.
>>
>>3227734
man i used to go to the island all the time in AC with my GBA
>>
File: Kdl3.png (298KB, 481x340px) Image search: [Google]
Kdl3.png
298KB, 481x340px
If Thracia is the king of post N64 Super Nintendo games, then Dream Land 3 is the queen. Its graphically among the most beautiful Super Nintendo titles, and its severely underrated. I personally regard it as being alongside Super Star as the pinnacle of the Kirby series. Such a shame I barely hear any talk about this game despite having a VC release.
>>
>>3227924
>severely underrated
How? It's a Kirby game. That's basically all there is to say about it.
>>
>>3227924
Personally I can't stand this game. It moves at snails pace even compared to Adventure.
>>
>>3227738

I didn't know about that, this changes everything. Thanks anon.
>>
>>3227729
OP, you realize that your pic related was the very last NES game released in north America?
>>
Ristar on Genesis (released after Saturn was released) is really good
>>
Been playing Wario's Woods just now, it's really fucking good, super addictive. It's not hard (mainly because it's not super fast), but it's somewhat complex, lots of different moves you can do
>>
>>3227729
my ultra nigga

only played it on SNES though
>>
>>3227729
>Gems released after a successor console was released
...do you mean swan songs?
>>
>>3227746
It was one of the first NES games I played and spoiled the rest of the library for me.
>>
>>3227729
>The typical norm has been for support to stop for a game console once its successor got released.

The NES and SNES were both supported for quite a while after the release of their successive consoles, actually.
>>
>>3227752

my beat 'em up nigga.
>>
File: samus.jpg (41KB, 400x309px) Image search: [Google]
samus.jpg
41KB, 400x309px
>>3227924
I like the part where Kirby meets Samus.
>>
File: 1426276377596.png (461KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1426276377596.png
461KB, 500x375px
>>3227729
>>
>>3235035
yes

>>3227729
YES

>>3227924
Fucking YES!
>>
>>3227729
>The typical norm has been for support to stop for a game console once its successor got released.
2600, NES, SNES, Master System, Megadrive, Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Xbox 360.

Not uncommon for a successful console to live on as a budget option, I'd even go as far as to say it was the norm for retro days.
>>
>>3227801
Just waiting on a decent translation to play this game. I've heard great things about it.

IntSys also released a Famicom Wars game for SNES in 1998. I guess their strategy game teams really didn't care for the N64.
>>
>>3235195
>Famicom Wars
wasn't that like only for NP carts?
>>
File: terranigma.jpg (33KB, 425x233px) Image search: [Google]
terranigma.jpg
33KB, 425x233px
It's crazy to think about how long the Super Famicom was supported for. The last SFC game published was released in 2000, and the Satellaview service ran into this millennium as well. I kind of wish the N64 and Gamecube had the same longevity; I don't think either made it a year past their successor's release date.

Also, pic related is definitely another gem
>>
Dkc3
>>
>>3227729
Mado Monogatari on the Megadrive.
>>
Well, if you take the NA release date of the SNES to be the baseline, NES got a lot of great games as the SNES was releasing and afterwards.

The Lone Ranger(one of the best uses of the Zapper period)
Ninja Gaiden 3
Adventures of Lolo 3
Rockin Kats
Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves
Snow Brothers
Vice:Project Doom
Shatterhand
Tiny Toon Adventures
Bucky O Hare
Nightshade
M.C. Kids
Dragon Warrior 3 and 4
TMNT 3
Darkwing Duck
Panic Restaurant
Adventure Island 3
Gargoyles Quest 2
Power Blade 2
Little Samson
Fire N Ice
DuckTales 2
Mega Man 4, 5, and 6
>>
>>3241854
Great list there. It reminded me I had to check out a few of those. Is Power Blade 2 as good as the first one?
>>
>>3244283
Na bro it's shit.
>>
File: Sonic2ms-box-eu.jpg (3MB, 2131x1365px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic2ms-box-eu.jpg
3MB, 2131x1365px
Better than the Mega Drive version.
You wanna go?
>>
>>3235119
Like it isn't today
>>
>>3241854
And from SNES to N64:

Kirby Super Star was released about the same time as the N64
Street Fighter Alpha 2
DKC 3
Terranigma
Lost Vikings 2
Harvest Moon
Kirby's Dream Land 3

A much smaller list, but you need to keep in mind that Nintendo briefly tried to market the SNES and NES at the same time, considering the NES an "entry-level" system. As such, the NES was getting games released for it for 4 years after the SNES had hit the market in the US.
>>
>>3229217
Dude, those codes have so much nostalgia for me.
Back when me and my sister were in Elementary school we spent every day just obsessed with out Animal Crossing town. We would spend countless hours on the internet trying every code we could get to give to Tom Nook, and trying out all kinds of online secrets for things that would never work.
Animal Crossing is like Pokemon when it comes to the hidden mysteries I became obsessed with.
>>
>>3227734

What the fuck was Nintendo thinking? Did they not realize just putting free NES games on another game was economically stupid? I adored the feature but not long after AC GCN they were shilling classic NES games on GBA hoping we didn't know about AC's NES games.
>>
>>3245937
That's why they didn't afterwards, with the Virtual Console and all.
They also probably didn't realize the code algorithm would be cracked an odd decade later.
>>
>>3245907

I was a teenager by the time AC came out, so I ignored it.
Got into it as an adult out of sheer curiosity and found it very charming. I'm kind of jealous of people who experienced this game as kids. One of the few games that make me feel that way.
>>
>>3227729

That's not true at all. Support typically continues for roughly a year or so into the next generation as committed titles still have to be released as per contract.

If the norm were to immediately cut off support as soon as a new console was being developed and released then the company would have to cease game production up to 18 months prior. Can you live off savings for 18 months? I'm guessing not, because companies do continue to sign contracts for games for the existing systems even into post-release dates, and this is, in fact, the typical norm. Not your bizarre fantasy of how business works, OP.
>>
>>3245987
Different anon. I was late tween/early teen when I first played it and my sister was 2 years older. We both spent a huge amount of time playing it.
>>
>>3244356
Tell me why.
>>
File: COS_GBC.jpg (71KB, 498x500px) Image search: [Google]
COS_GBC.jpg
71KB, 498x500px
The last English GBC game. I wouldn't call it a gem, but it had a few nice touches. Ron was the summoner, in that he could summon his pet rat to bite enemies. Hermione was the white mage, in that she could buff the team by nagging at them.

And the gnome-tossing minigame was GOAT.
>>
>>3244356
What makes it better exactly? I grew up with Sonic 2 and 3
>>
File: 250px-Zodasrevenge_box.png (258KB, 250x369px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Zodasrevenge_box.png
258KB, 250x369px
pic related is pretty good

>>3245743
lost vikings 2 was released after the release of the n64? i didn't know this

i played it at a friends house a lot in the early 2000s, so i just assumed it was released in the early 90s
>>
>>3245743
From SMS to Genesis/Mega Drive:

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Castle of Illusion
Columns
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Golden Axe Warrior
Paperboy
Sonic the Hedgehog

Another short list, but the SMS was about as popular as the 7800 in the US. The quick release of the Genesis 3 years later sealed it's fate pretty quickly at that point. I suspect all these games were in development before the Genesis was announced. Also keep in mind this is US releases only, the SMS got many great games for about three years after the release of the Mega Drive in the EU, with the last releases arriving in 94. Stuff like Wonder Boy in Monster World, Ultima 4, Smash TV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Strider 2, Simpsons:Bart VS the World, Road Rash, Rampart, and so on.
>>
>>3246409
And Genesis to Saturn:

Alien Soldier
Comix Zone
Donald in Maui Mallard
Earthworm Jim 2
Mega Turrican
Mortal Kombat 3
Ristar
Road Rash 3
Theme Park
Vectorman
Worms
X-Men 2: Clone Wars
Toy Story
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Vectorman 2
Virtua Fighter 2

Though in fairness I should probably include the CD and 32X games as well.

Virtua Fighter
Blackthorne(maybe)
After Burner(maybe)
NBA Jam TE(maybe)

Devs were a wee bit hesitant to hop onboard with the Saturn, I'm guessing due to the CD and 32X.
>>
>>3246116
Lost vikings 2 was released in 1997. I never played it but damn that is really late in SNES's life. I wonder what the last ever officially release games were on SNES and Genesis in the mid to late 90s..
>>
>>3227729
A lot of people my age who grew up in the 90s and early 00s know about this because you could play it in Animal Crossing for the Gamecube.
>>
File: file.png (234KB, 459x304px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
234KB, 459x304px
>>3245907
Shit me too. Do you remember the mysterious dummy item? It was like Animal Crossing's Missingno.
>>
>>3247837
But this board is more for 80-90s kids not you young folk.
>>
>>3247856
>Implying you have to be a certain age to enjoy retro games.

Besides I'm 26...
>>
>>3247856
Those who were kids in late 90's and early 00's started off playing GBC, Dreamcast, and PS1, all of which are retro, as this board is. So fuck you and your Gen X-Y tom foolery.
>B-BUT I PLAYED OCARINA OF TIME WHEN YOU WERE 4
No one cares.
>>
>>3247860
You almost certainly don't have any relevant experience for video games pre-2000 then. Hell, you can't even remember anything before 1995, can you?
>>
>>3247865
What relevant experience from videogames pre-2000 are you using to be an elitist neckbeard right now?
>>
>>3247868
If he can't remember, so what? What is it to you in obsessing over the age and memories of others as if it were membership to a regal club?
A Boomer could say the same exact shit about the Atari and Commodore in the same regards towards you. That is some pure asinine logic to exclude those from a hobby based on what year they're born or what they started with. Games, like music, books, and movies, are timeless. So you can't read anything by Nathaniel Hawthorne since you weren't a part of the Romanticist Period.
>>
>>3247887
The only elitist I see here is you, disregarding others in discussion based on age. And if you want an answer, Metal Gear Ghost Babel, now kindly fuck off.
>>
>>3247894
I meant to quote >>3247868

I was trying to tell the neckbeard to fuck off.
>>
File: 1459165725375.png (211KB, 851x475px) Image search: [Google]
1459165725375.png
211KB, 851x475px
>>3238114
>the Satellaview ran into this millennium as well

Holy shit
>>
>>3227801
I heard it was actually made of the scrapped sprites and stuff for the unmade FE64
>>
>>3238114
that's probably because the standard operating procedue for transitional eras today was to take games made for dying current gem systems and revamp them for the new one.

remember Twilight Princess? Remember Super Paper Mario? Rodea the Sky Soldier?
Remember CUBIVORE?
Heck even Animal Crossing did that.
>>
File: 1453696393270.png (28KB, 524x312px) Image search: [Google]
1453696393270.png
28KB, 524x312px
>>3228002
>even compared to adventure
Are you implying adventure is slow? I think we may have played different games.
>>
File: SeaLionMecha.png (2KB, 248x192px) Image search: [Google]
SeaLionMecha.png
2KB, 248x192px
>>3246025
>>3246109
I just like the level design, level gameplay gimmicks (nothing like those mobile bubbles on the MD!) themes and even some of the music more. I also like the two normal acts then a boss level with no rings design more, as well as unique bosses that aren't the old Eggster every time.
>>
>>3227734
>>3245937
>>3245952
There are 19 playable NES games in the US version of Animal Crossing. 15 are available through the in-game password system and a user-made code generator.

>15 years later, you STILL can't enter a code to get Ice Climber or Mario Bros. (you have to swipe an e-Card or use a cheat device)
>15 years alter, you STILL can't get Super Mario Bros. or The Legend of Zelda without a cheat device

The cryptographic effort to the Animal Crossing codes was amazing. The devs of Animal Crossing hardcoded a ban on certain items being received via the code system - as far as I know, only the "forbidden four" NES games are in this list.

I was able to make digital e-Cards for Zelda and Super Mario. I will release them, but I need to document the card format a lot better first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NiNdUPTQs4#t=1m5s
>>
>>3245907
Same here. I loved playing Animal Crossing at age 8 and just hanging out and being comfy. No future AC game has come close to that level of joy. The future games were so lifeless without the codes & NES game & island backbone.

>>3247842
The backstory is much less interesting. It was super cool.

Here's the boring backstory:
DUMMY is just what Nintendo replaced some of the Japanese-exclusive items with. Rather than confuse Americlaps with items inspired by Japanese culture, they removed them from the game and replaced them with "DUMMY" (i.e., fake or filler) items that were supposed to be unobtainable. Someone forgot to remove the DUMMY from the villager igloo game, so you could still get it.
>>
>>3233110
Swan songs are the last great, big-hitter game released for a console, not necessarily released after a successor console has come out.
>>
>>3246032
Picked this up recently have been playing through it. I'd say it's a gem. I've been surprised by how good it is.
>>
>>3244356
When do you ever fly a kite in the Sonic games? That cover is very misleading and tricked me into buying Sonic 2. Not that I regret it. I just felt cheated.
>>
>>3253021
Its in Sky High Zone Act 1 for the SMS and GG Sonic 2
>>
File: image.jpg (61KB, 250x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 250x360px
Most of the best Master System games were released affer the Mega Drive.
>>
>>3253067

Is there a way to play that game in 60hz systems?
>>
>>3253117
Sega didn't region lock the Master System and Mega Drive like the Nintendo Jews, so you can play it on an NTSC Mastery System, on an NTSC Mega Drive with a Master System Converter or use a modded PAL system.
>>
>>3227996
but it's a Kirby game that came after Super Star and looks like it was drawn with crayons. now the crayon complaint i never agreed with, but i can't deny that powers were a lot more fun to use in Super Star
>>
>>3246441
And from N64 to the Gamecube:

NFL Blitz Special Edition(Maybe?)
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3

I would do Saturn to Dreamcast, if ANY games came out on the Saturn after the Dreamcast was released.

PSX to PS2 is a long list of releases, so I'm just gonna mention some highlights that stood out to me.

Crash Bash
Final Fantasy 9
Driver 2
Harvest Moon: Back To Nature
Breath of Fire 4
Lunar 2
Persona 2
Mega Man X5
Fear Effect 2
Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX
Digimon World 2
Castlevania Chronicles
Dragon Quest VII
Syphon Filter 3
Mega Man X6
>>
>>3227729
The SNES version of Wario's Woods is far superior. Why is it always the NES version people bring up?
>>
>>3255612
I consider Superstar and Dreamland 3 dofferent styles of Kirby. Kirby is either an action game were there are like 30 not complicated powers and obstacles that always be overcome with a power right next to it (the Adventure/Superstar/Squeak Squad etc) or a sort of puzzle adventure game with like 6 fairly complex powers (and animal buddies) that have puzzles that require problem solving and planning to achieve a secondary goal (the Dreamland/64/Canvas Curse in a way). There's also the third, experimental type where they make a new game and put in Kirby for star power (including Kirby in Dreamland 1/Acalanche/Tilt and Tumble/Mass Attack).

>>3256449
Because it's a thread about good games released when a newer console existed, not good games on an exisiting console?
>>
>>3238114
>>3248796
The fact that the N64 and NGC both sold like shit didn't help. The PS and PS2 had plenty of games late in their lifespans and even the PS3 is still getting plenty of new games in Japan despite ths PS4 having been on the market for a few years now..
>>
>>3256449
The reason is that it was the last officially released NES game
>>
>music isn't as catchy
>art style isn't as nice-looking
>no boss battles
>shoulder buttons do nothing when they obviously should've increased drop speed
>no improvements over NES aside from versus cpu
>COOL
Now you've got me curious, why is the SNES version "far superior"? I'd understand if you said that you preferred SNES, but saying that it's objectively better is just false.
>>
>>3257382
meant to reply to
>>3256449
>>
>>3246021
Not so much nowadays though. The Wii came out in November 2006 and I don't think the GameCube got a single game after February 2007.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.