[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Double Dragon3.png (913KB, 5120x3840px) Image search: [Google]
Double Dragon3.png
913KB, 5120x3840px
What went wrong?
>>
>>3225671

absolutely nothing.
>>
File: 67001201.jpg (341KB, 850x1199px) Image search: [Google]
67001201.jpg
341KB, 850x1199px
>Outsourced to another company because Technos was too busy doing Combatribes (which turned out to be rather meh anyway)
>Literal pay2win system where you can only get certain power-ups (including additional characters) by credit feeding (removed in the JP version mercifully)
>Globe trekking plot that starts out fine, but becomes pretty ridiculous when it ends with the good guys fighting Cleopatra's reanimated corpse in Egypt.
>The Rosetta Stones are a bunch of Dragon Ball-like McGuffins that's nothing like the real Rosetta Stone. Research much?
>Sloppy animation that looks like its skipping frames.
>Is the series was called Double Dragon, why is there suddenly three Lee brothers?
The music was nice I guess and I like the JP flyer, but that's it. It's interesting to watch the superplays online and witness how easy it is to break the game.

The NES version was better, but it's still shares some of the same stupidities.
>>
>>3225671
Simple...

The rushed out ports of the lame version, instead of taking the rocksolid NES game and first doing basic transfers of it first to 8-bit computers, and then just doing what they already proven to turn out nicely with the PCE-CD and made a graphically enhanced version for the amiga, ST and genesis, and then either also transferred that directly to DOS and genesis, or made enhanced CD versions for them.

They didn't have to do anything new&complicated, simply what they did with DD2 except now they had a selection of worthwhile platforms to target.
>>
>>3225831
Genesis is my one doubt, I can see why they ported the arcade-abomination to it, a straight duplicate of an NES game could have resulted in some embarrassment for them. But even DOS would have been served nicely by a basic NES version port.
>>
>>3225836
Genesis version is actually worse due to missing attack animations (e.g. no consecutive attacks, run is just a speeded up walk), messed up controls, and inaccurate balance (in both, player and enemy characters). It was outsourced to Software Creations, which has a history of shoddy ports. I'm guessing no Japanese team wanted to touch it though.
>>
>>3225849
Yeah, but it would have been a lot of work to get the technos version up to genesis visual standards, and a battletoads-grade port would have been harshly underappreciated.

What they should have done is done a plain port of the NES version anyway, to sega CD, but tossed in some unapologetically awful live action cutscenes. Ideal compromise right there.
>>
>>3226806
Technos never made any games on Sega consoles, except for that Popeye's Beach Volley game on the Game Gear. All those Double Dragon ports and that one Kunio's Soccer port for MD were licensed to other companies.
>>
>>3225671
EVERYTHING.
>>
>>3226816
Oh, wow, Naxat software never did anything for the megadrive. Just a few Saturn games later.

I guess that shows why there never was a fixed sega port of Return/Super DD.

Porting based on assemblerey NES code must have been a nightmare anyway.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.