[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>renaming the characters in Japanese JPRGS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

File: 1454946509482.jpg (47KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1454946509482.jpg
47KB, 500x500px
>renaming the characters in Japanese JPRGS
>>
It's ok if it's Aeris->Aerith.

Other exceptions may exist but that's the one I encountered.
>>
File: 1421518186889.jpg (29KB, 277x277px) Image search: [Google]
1421518186889.jpg
29KB, 277x277px
>naming the main character after yourself
>living vicariously through your characters instead of guiding them like a wizened sage
>>
>>3224037
>aerith
You're making me really fucking mad right now
>>
>>3224030
It's fine if it's just to fix translation errors like >>3224037's example.

Or if you want to rename "Aerith" to "Slum Drunk".

>>3224045
Face the fucking facts, anon. "Aeris" was a mistranslation and nothing more. "Aerith" is the character's actual name.
>>
>>3224057
Can't help but to imagine someone spewing spit as they pronounce "AeriTHHH"
>>
>>3224082
Yes, people whose native language isn't English will have a hard time pronouncing the TH sound. What else is new
>>
>>3224057
The actual localization trumps your autism, hombre.
>>
>>3224057
Not the same guy but I prefer to keep it as Aeris, if only because thats the name of an actual goddess in greek myth, and Symbolic or no Aerith sounds stupid as all hell to me
>>
>>3224136
You are correct, sir.
>>
>>3224030
who here named the main character's love interest after their crush
>>
>>3224030
>Japanese Japanese Playing Role Games
>>
>>3224665
No. I still had friends back then.
>>
>>3224030
I always do this.
ABC and D are much easier to remember
>>
File: 1376239325884.jpg (34KB, 666x457px) Image search: [Google]
1376239325884.jpg
34KB, 666x457px
>>3224030
>Live in small town
>Finally meet real people that play Final Fantasy and can hang out with, in person, that are even vaguely socially capable
>MFW they name all their characters along the lines of "POOP" in all caps, and laugh at it EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME IT COMES UP IN DIALOGUE

Can't even have a fucking conversation with them about the games. They never finish them, they over-level, they don't know the characters real names, and they dont even read the dialogue.

Why even play an RPG? its just the up/down buttons and X at that point. I just never got it...
>>
>>3224769
Cersei is that you
>>
>renaming characters with canon names
>>
>>3224769
It's all about battle mechanics, man. There's a lot of reasons to play RPGs, even if you ignore the story. You should still finish them though.
>>
>>3224769
Maybe you should stop hanging out with 10 year olds.
>>
Guilty.
>>
>>3224038
If it's a mute character, that's what you're supposed to do.
>>
>>3225386
>supposed to do
where did you learn this behavior?
>>
>>3225393
It's an avatar for the player. Why do you think Dragon Quest lets you name the hero and he doesn't talk? It's supposed to be a stand in for you. It's an extention of the pen and paper RPGs where you created your own character, who was basically yourself in a fantasy setting.
>>
>>3224038
>tfw my brother always played OOT as "Link" even though I told him to put in his own name
>>
I never really say the issue. Though one of the kids in our class would always use HIS names while in discussion. So we'd get shit like him bragging about finding Susan's lvl 4 Limit Breaks or how he knew where to get Tony's final weapon in FF7 and we'd all look at him like the fuck head he was.
>>
>he didn't name the characters after people he knew in real life
>he didn't name the main female character after his crush
>>
File: journal.jpg (69KB, 448x419px) Image search: [Google]
journal.jpg
69KB, 448x419px
>>3224030
>he plays JRPGS
>>
File: picardo.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
picardo.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>3225562
>he reads western visual novels
>>
File: 1463045893613.gif (1MB, 160x170px) Image search: [Google]
1463045893613.gif
1MB, 160x170px
>>3225572
>he touches himself at night while thinking about naked men
>>
>>3225562

Actual most overrated game ever
>>
>>3225606
>Actual most overrated game ever

*reads post*

*updates journal*
>>
>>3225562

How can I enjoy that game? I really want to like it because from what I've read the story and lore seems pretty interesting, but I can't get past the boredom it generates me when I try to play it. The little there is of gameplay is very unappealing, and I usually am not too pretentious when it comes to games, if it has interesting story or world I'll put up with shit gameplay, but couldn't with Torment.

Is there any other way to enjoy the Torment universe that isn't the game? Novels?
>>
>>3224769
I lent EarthBound to one of my friends and they overwrote my save file, gave the characters lewd all-caps names, and never finished the game. To make matters worse, I recently sold off my SNES so I can't change the names if I choose to sell my copy anytime soon. This really shouldn't flare my autism that much, but damn I'm mad.
>>
File: index2.gif (20KB, 458x346px) Image search: [Google]
index2.gif
20KB, 458x346px
>>3224030
Thank fuck some companies are intelligent enough to hire translators who will do this sort of thing. I say, they should go farther, MUCH farther still.

The Japs even try to be cute and use Western names and words in games, but of course they're tongues are retarded and they can't speak these words, and render them in katakana so they come out all fucked up and Jap-ified.

A good translator will attempt to just to change these names and other small bits into their proper forms, but he will also translate Japanese names into their English literal equivalents (Kintaro would be Golden Boy). I would say the very best English translations go a step further, and the translator will change Japanese folklore, "humor," allusion, allegories, etc. into a more relatable Western analog so the humor isn't so fucking dead and cheesy. Japs are the second worst comedic nation in the world after Germany, all Jap jokes can safely be rewritten without damage to the story.

Overall, I would like to see a lot more translations that spurn the weebs and other purists, and instead opt for the fun, culturally relatable themes that are compatible with Western non-weeb gamers.
>>
>>3226507
It's OK, you can emulate. It's better anyway, you can play the game as the developer really intended.
>>
>>3225620
You can read it in noval form, but stay the fuck away from the book on Amazon.

I liked the gameplay, but a lot of people complain about it for some reason.
>>
I always have renamed my people, just how I play.
>>
>>3225620
>you have to enjoy something to appreciate it
Jesus fucking christ
>>
>>3225405
This is acceptable in say, DQ1 where the protagonist really has no individuality to speak of, but if you consider DQ5, the hero there is clearly his own person.

There's also Chrono Trigger where you can do that and then not even have "yourself" in the party when you beat the game.

It ends up being a lot more effective when the separation between player and avatar is highlighted, as in Baiten Kaitos or Contact
>>
File: 1460319424854.jpg (242KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1460319424854.jpg
242KB, 1680x1050px
>>3225405
>projecting yourself as some kind of high-fantasy hero because you suck at regular life so much
>>
>>3227090
>they're tongues are retarded
>they're
>>
File: inquisitive housefly.jpg (72KB, 812x629px) Image search: [Google]
inquisitive housefly.jpg
72KB, 812x629px
>stick to the canon names whenever possible, even if that means looking them up
>play Dragon Quest
>there's no canon names
>>
>>3227243
>tfw I know exactly what that image is
>>
>>3227243
>caring about canon
>not keeping your autism in check
>>
>>3227247

what it is? it looks like a fly's head

lol just kidding, piccoyo dikku! ^^
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.