[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In the mood for shooting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: inthemood.jpg (169KB, 480x711px) Image search: [Google]
inthemood.jpg
169KB, 480x711px
So I want to play a good PC shooter pre-HL2 (in before >reee not retro, I don't care if it was released in 1999 or 2001). I'm not much of a FPS guy, but I played many of the classics and some console-exclusive ones. I'm asking here because modern FPS suck asses and /v/ has no taste.

this is what I've played (counting PC only, excluding modern games) that I can remember and my ratings:

-Doom I & II(9)
-Quake 2 (7)
-Half-Life (9)
-Deus Ex (10)
-System Shock 2 (8)
-Halo (7)
-Halo 2 (5)
-Alien Trilogy (6)
-Forsaken (4)
-Call of Duty (6)

I know I should play the first Quake, but what else? it's hard to find a list of "best FPS ever" that it's well informed instead of putting the Bioshocks and modern CODs upfront
>>
>>3222230
quake
duke nukem 3d
heretic
unreal
>>
Unreal Tournament
Delta Force
>>
Quake with its myriad of custom maps and campaigns.
Thief Gold and Thief 2 (not really FPS but still first person games, and both extraordinary).
Dook 3D
Blood, its expansions and Death Wish
Heretic (and Hexen + Hexen 2 if you liked it)
Shadow Warrior
Unreal
Doom 64 EX
System Shock
The Wheel of Time (not sure if it counts as retro, I don't remember when it was released).
>>
007 nightfire
>>
>>3222325

Also South Park
>>
Goldeneye 007
>>
I would suggest serious sam but it's not retro
>>
Check out Dark Forces. It's more or less a Doom clone in the Star Wars universe. Shit's fantastic.
>>
Kiss Psycho Circus
>>
>>3222230
Doom 2 again, but with Project Brutality and the Maps of Chaos map pack. All on ModDB.
Or, Doom 2 with Brutal Doom and the Hell of Earth Starter Pack.
If you like FPS, you owe it to yourself to try these.
>>
>>3222264
Non OP, but wow I love the Wheel of Time Books so I'll jave to check out the game just looked it up, doesn't sound too bad actually
>>
>>3222461
It's really pretty good and you can get it for free pretty easily since it's not sold anywhere anymore (which is a real shame).
It has some of the best level design in any Unreal Engine game to date with some really amazing texture work.
>>
XIII, its great.
>>
SKynet
>>
>>3222461
>>3222675

I want to posit a counterpoint. To me, the gameplay is clunky and the story is absolutely atrocious. As a long time WoT fan, I just absolutely couldn't stand the game. Try it out though, maybe you will like it.
>>
>>3222230
FEAR
>>
>>3223001

Not retro and also overrated.
>>
>>3222230
Thief Gold and Thief II. First Person Stealth games
>>
File: 3a7.jpg (262KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
3a7.jpg
262KB, 800x800px
>>3223206
>FEAR
>overrated
kek
>>
>>3222798
not retro. but this.
>>
>>3222230
Blood
Duke 3d
Star Wars Dark Forces

Not in love with Quake, tbqh
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.