[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

a trip down memory card lane..

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 9

File: 818072418_1_1000x700.jpg (51KB, 934x700px) Image search: [Google]
818072418_1_1000x700.jpg
51KB, 934x700px
Then:
>"Oh cool! you got the same game!? let me bring my memory card over and show u how a ril nigga do"
Today:
>"Well i can't show u shit lil homie because i aint luggin my PS4 all over town but u can compare trophies i guess actually dont worry about me."

remember the transition from on-cart saves, to seperate memory peripherals? and then from memory cards to hard drives??

Which did you prefer? whch do you miss? I remember trying to taking my Crash Bandicoot disc to my friends house and then being confused as to why my save wasn't on there..
>>
>show u how a ril nigga do
I remember when video games were mainly for white people.
>>
>>3222043
You can still copy save files to a thumb drive ya dingus.
>>
>>3222043
VMU BEST MEMORY CARD
>>
>>3222059
ew
>>
Yeah memory cards were the shit. But if youre a real badass just have your ps1 with no card and beat games in one sitting
>>
>>3222095
True dat. I loved dicking around at work with a minigame all day, and then coming home and playing Skies of Arcadia with all my bonus gold.
>>
>>3222107
It took me 46 hours from the moment I bought my first PS1 to beat Final Fantasy 7. Never again. I was seeing sounds by the end of it. I am weak. Memory cards are my pillow.
>>
>>3222043
Not only can you email saves through your ps4 friends list you can also copy them to a flash drive.
>>
>>3222095
best memory card of all time confirmed
>>
>>3222130
All of them though? I know for the ps3 you could only copy certain saves and not others.
>>
>>3222180
Any game i've tried. I back up all my saves
>>
>>3222095
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
>>
>rent game
>really dig it
>get pretty far
>take rental back to rental place
>decide to purchase the game
>continue on your new copy where you left off instead of having to start over.

Yeah, going from cart saves to memory cards was the shit.
>>
>>3222043
What the fuck?
>>
File: original.jpg (106KB, 481x320px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
106KB, 481x320px
I had one of those mega memory cards for ps1 which had about 24 or so blocks on it that each acted like its own memory card. Well I used it for years but just recently when I tried switching blocks on it it just gives me an error but the block that it is stuck on still works normally. I guess its just a not so mega memory card now.
>>
>>3222043
My memory card containing a Gran Turismo save was lent to half of my school. Fucken' scrubs couldn't get all the licenses. I actually feared that some guy would claim that it was
"lost", but hopefully all went OK and my gaming cred rose up.
>>
I remember going from saving on floppies to saving on hard drives. But you could still trade saves as long as they fit on a floppy.
>>
>>3222267
Crap. I remember cracking MK3 on PC and sharing the 13 floppies that the zip file took with friends. Save files were easy.
>>
Did N64 Memory Cards actually do fucking anything? They never seem to fill up (I've been using the same one since 2000), and saves are still on the cartridges
>>
>>3222043
>"Well i can't show u shit lil homie because i aint luggin my PS4 all over town

Why can't you invite friends around to your own home.
>>
File: 145352765095.gif (2MB, 349x249px) Image search: [Google]
145352765095.gif
2MB, 349x249px
>>3222043

>tfw had one of those multipage huge memory cards
>had like every damn game saved on it, tons and tons of data
>piece of shit decides it's time to corrupt
>Thank god I had my saves backed up on like 6 other memory cards

Shit still sucked though
>>
>>3222043
Zomg, you totally can't do this with a $.99 usb stick!!!
>>
>>3222289
IIRC only a few N64 games actually save to the cartridge but they tend to be the more popular ones like Mario 64 and the Zeldas. Most 3rd party titles seemed to use the memory card for some reason.
>>
I remember finding 2 GB worth of Deus ex saves on an old hard drive
>>
>>3222051
Op here, I'm white

>>3222059
Every time I try some shit like that it tells me I can't use a save from someone else's psn account

>>3222245
This is what I use and it's amazing however I know its bound to corrupt.. Anyone know how to threat l thwart this?? These cards are amazing

>>3222235
I forgot this was a thing, definitely happened for a couple final fantasies. I remember having a save next to someone else's, re-renting the game and seeing them make progress, then one day some scrub erased both our shits for no reason
>>
>>3222235
I still have saves on my PS1 card from games that i rented 15 years ago and still havent bought
>>
>>3222043
The PS4 and XBox you can just log into your account on their system and it'll pull your saves.
>>
>>3222683
>Every time I try some shit like that it tells me I can't use a save from someone else's psn account

This, it sucks. At least when the Wii locked Smash Bros. Brawl saves to itself it was still the Wii, you could carry that thing around easily. The big consoles? Forget about it.

Frankly I blame achievements, if everyone could go online after loading up any old 100% game save, it would screw up company's precious user data and throw off their statistics for how many people did X or Y in the game.

I'd totally dig being able to move save files via flash drives nowadays. Would beat having to treat every giant console like a ball and chain or fuck around with other stupid shit like downloading a profile onto someone else's system.
>>
>>3222423
I should probably get a card now
>>
>>3222043
As a kid I always preferred when my SNES and N64 games would save on cart. I didn't really mind using memory cards on my Playstation since at least they were cheap and it had two slots making it easy to transfer saves. I hate the way N64 memory cards work, having to swap between a memory card and rumble pack for games that use both is a bitch.

The only hard drive (non-retro) console I owned was a 360, I guess I didn't notice not having memory cards because games were all online then and you didn't really have that human interaction experience of going over to your friends house to play games with them. I think that's why I stopped liking consoles in general.
>>
>>3222551
Lol I had a very similar experience. Deus Ex save files were really large for the hard drives of the time.
>>
>>3222059
Also you can cloud save.
>>
>>3222095
I wish the battery life on it wasn't shit and that it held more data. Those were my two major complaints about it.
>>
>>3222130
>>3222216
Don't you need PS+, though?
>>
>>3222289
Some of the sports games had large save files with all the custom players and stuff like that.
>>
>>3223065
I just bought a 3rd party mem card/rumble pak hybrid. 4 mem cards and 2 vibration settings. That thing is still going to this day and hasn't corrupted once. Yet.
>>
>/vr/ in charge of complaining about modern consoles
>>
File: legend_of_mana.jpg (111KB, 600x588px) Image search: [Google]
legend_of_mana.jpg
111KB, 600x588px
>Neighbor kid and I both have pic related
>Take turns going to each others' house; bring our memory cards along
>Load up our characters
>Kicking ass as TWO HEROES OF MANA AT ONCE, FUCK YEAH!
Now that was action-RPG multiplayer done right.
>>
>>3222043
Never a thing anyone did around here, really.

>>3222051
When, the 70's with arcades and Atari? Fucking way earlier if we count pinball.
You must be old as shit if you remember those times vividly.

>>3222235
That's actually a valid point in favor of memory cards.
>>
File: sc3_review22.jpg (56KB, 600x390px) Image search: [Google]
sc3_review22.jpg
56KB, 600x390px
Best thing about memory cards:

>buy pic related
>after playing arcade mode with best girl (in pic related), decide to create a character
>only three shirts, a trouser and a dirty sock available
>copy a 100% save file from a friend
>have a great time creating mario, snake and other shits
>copy file to other friends' memory cards when they get sc3 too.

That was so convenient in fighting games where half the content needed to be unlocked via single player.

I tried doing that for sc5 and just couldn't. The psn user must be the same or something.
>>
>>3222231
I'd buy those damn batteries in bulk just so I could not hear that damn screech. The chao minigames were pretty cool tho.
>>
>>3222043
I still think moving to hard drives was the best move for memory. I remember having to spend a ton of cash on memory cards that'd hold a handful of saves and thinking, "There's got to be a better way than this."

And then Xbox came along and had a hard drive on it. Suddenly, I could save hundreds of times and not make a dent in the space. It was fantastic. Later on, one of the big drawbacks of the transition to CDs, loading times, was solved as well by copying data to a hard drive.

That said though, I miss getting used cartridges and seeing previous guys' saves on them. I had an FFIV cart that had every character except Cecil named Jody (I'm assuming because characters kept leaving and the guy playing always wanted Jody in his party), GS 1&2 had custom names for everyone, and Oracle of Seasons had Link stopped at the third dungeon. It's like finding out a little about the person and piecing together who they were based on the details.
>>
>>3223973
I only ever had 1 card for ps1 and 1 for ps2. Good enough for me but i dont mind deleting saves
>>
File: 1081148-amy_02.jpg (277KB, 1072x1580px) Image search: [Google]
1081148-amy_02.jpg
277KB, 1072x1580px
>>3223954
>taki
>best girl
>not Amy

Taki's p hot tho
>>
>>3222245
I had the same thing happen. Trying to switch sections on it makes the LCD screen show ERR or similar. I didn't find the fix until the end of the PS2's lifecycle, and I can't remember what it was.

I had the first four sections used exclusively for RPG Maker, so I lost all progress on the thing I was making.
>>
>>3222289
I used it to backup saves for Ogre Battle. Every time, I'd stop the game at the end of chapter 2, take a break, and start a new game when I got back. I backed up each save perviously just in case I wanted to go back.

I have 9 saves just after recruiting Sheen Cacteu, only the tenth did I make it any further.
>>
>>3223861
Just passing by to say I'm gonna give that game a roll.
>>
>>3223981
>not Ivy
>>
>>3223408
I always just left the battery tag in, so it wouldn't die so fast. Still works as a mem card / display even batteryless.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (68KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
68KB, 1280x720px
DUN
DUN
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN
>>
>try to lie about beating a game way faster than everyone else to make them feel pleb.
>get called out and asked to bring over the memory card to prove it
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
>>
>>3224424
She's a little too busty for me honestly.
I haven't played SC in a long while, but did they make Ivy bustier? I feel like her titties got bigger in later titles
>>
>>3222051
That's because white and asian families were the only people who could afford video games

>Shiggy diggy doo
>>
>>3224453
What the fuck is that?
>>
>>3224674
pocket station
>>
>>3222289
some games like rayman 2 only saves to the memory card, while some/majority games saves to the cart. And then some games saved extra data to the memory card like mario kart 64 time-trial records.
>>
>>3224453
Hot damn anon, where did you get one?
>>
>>3224453
>60 USD for one of these

Wew lad.
>>
>>3226269
>implying 60usd is a lot of money
>>
>>3227131
>implying someone who says wew lad would not consider $60 a lot of money
>>
Except you can just log into your PSN account and bring over all your saved data and trophy info that's automatically backed up to cloud storage. Thus I can carry over my Bloodorne and MLB 16 save info from my frat house, to work PS4 to home.

Alternatively, What's a thumb drive?
>>
Kinda crazy that you can get 128mb ps2/gc and 1mb ps1 cards for next to nothing now. I mean it's not that crazy, it makes sense, but the original ones were 8mb and 15 blocks.
>>
>>3222126
You seriously did that??
>>
>>3227702
>128mb ps2/gc cards
whaaaaaaaaaaat
>>
>>3222126
fucking brutal
>>
>>3222126
Lying ass cracka if you died you couldn't be able to load a save.

You can't beat FF7 in one sitting without having a single game over.

I had the psx with no memory card when I was a kid, I left that bitch on for 2 weeks with Tekken 3 in it to keep all the secret cars.
>>
>>3224638
until V she was increasingly getting bustier. Though for me it's more about the short white hair , suits and that personality.
>>
>>3222043
On cart saves were cool, but it's all about that memory card stash.

>why isn't my FF7 data on here? Oh wait maybe it's on the next one...
>>
>>3228320
FF7 was such a huge game, it needed 4 memory cards
>>
>made in japen
>>
>>3227702
>>3227759

I have seen these, are they worth a shit? Are they all Taiwanese and corrupt after 7 games?? I bought a 64 MB ps2 card about 8 years ago but it corrupted fast and would not load, I even bought a memory card adapter and tried to fix in on my computer but nothing..
>>
>>3228163
no, you could, provided you know what your doing
but for a first time, unless you GRIND HARD, something stupid will kill you because you weren't paying attention
>>
>>3226267
sad thing was, we were SUPPOSED to get the pocket station in US and EU
>>
>>3228324
>thinking 4 is huge

Try playing Populous or Diablo. Try saving mid-battle in SRW or SD Gundam.
>>
>>3229335
I never had to deal with a PS, and was just making a 4 CDs joke. Were there games that required multiple memory cards to save? Not blocks, but cards
>>
I had one of those storage units that you plug into the I/O port on the back of the PlayStation.

It made virtual memory cards and let you swap saves with real and virtual cards, as well as tell the console to either use the real cards or virtual ones.
Kinda clunky to use, but it had vast swaths of space.
>>
>>3229361
I need more info on this device, did you have to use a swap trick like an action replay disc?? I fucking hate those.
>>
>>3229361
I had one of these too.
I believe it was a Gameshark Pro (can't post pictures, but Google it, it's the black looking unit with the bump at the top).
IIRC, games would not recognize it for shit, so you had to use it exclusively for storage, but yeah, it had a good ammount of space so it was still very useful, specially if you only had 1 memory card.
>>
>>3229341
Some games on the PSX were real hogs when it came to memory, Simcity 2000 and Diablo would typically require something like 75% of the space on a card to make one save.

I don't know if this was a matter of the files actually being this large or if this was just bad optimization on the developer's part.
>>
My PS1 card from 97' still works.

PS1 was so fucking good.
>>
>>3230453
in the case of Sim City the files need to be large.
But that's space hogging by eating almost a whole card. Didn't anon suggest that some games require multiple cards?
>>
>>3222043
The memory cards weren't a half-bad concept. If your console broke down, you could easily just transfer the memory card to a new unit and continue playing with your old saves. These days, if your console dies and your saves are locked to your individual system, preventing copying them to a flash drive, you're shit outta luck and I fucking hate that. On the other hand, assuming no copy-lock, sharing game saves via the Internet is much easier today when you don't need something like the DexDrive to extract and re-insert the saves.

Another good thing about the memory cards was that the systems that used them were generally speaking very energy efficient. A meaty hard drive+Blu-Ray drive combo adds quite a bit to the already impressive power consumption of the modern systems. Memory cards, in turn, were low power devices.

But memory cards were a bit expensive per unit. Sony and Nintendo were quite the jews with their pricing.
>>
>>3230525
>if shit that never happens happens shit happens
Another dumb fuck who doesn't know how to back up saves
>>
>>3230646
and now you told them how to do it, so they're prepared for the future, well done
>>
>>3230525
>These days, if your console dies and your saves are locked to your individual system, preventing copying them to a flash drive
with wiiU you can move them to flash drive(and then move it to PC but its bit complicated because the flash drive has to be formatted to nintendos format), and 3ds has backup system which can be moved from the SD card to PC(at least on digital games, physical games saves to the cart), but I dont think the saves themselves works on other 3ds'es(but with CFW its possible).
>>
Yeah I don't like my saves being tied to an account. I couldn't give less of a shit about my epenis, I wish you could opt out.
>>
>>3231073
The only winning move is not to play, quite literally
>>
>>3229192
I don't know about PS2, but I have a 128mb GC card that still works without issues. Has something like 3000 blocks iirc (been a while since I actually checked it). Shit has everything on it.
>>
did any games ever release on memory card? as a gimmick?
>>
>>3231256
I doubt it, it wouldn't be an efficient way to distribute a game.
>>
>>3230650
>implying they'd listen
>implying they'd believe
>implying they'd understand
Welcome to /vr/ newfriend
>>
>>3230646
Yeah, how do you fucking back up anything, when your save is copy locked to your account, which PREVENTS backing up.
>>
>>3232623
So we've gone from the saves being lock to your system to being locked to your account. Cool magic bro. And what account is this now?
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.