[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (97KB, 640x438px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97KB, 640x438px
1) why is it called Tetris attack when it isn't anything like Tetris?

2) What makes Panel de pon/puzzle league/attack different from games like bejeweled and candy crush? Is it because it only utilizes two boxes rather than a series of boxes?
>>
>>3221584

1) Almost certain it was for name recognition sales. People know and like Tetris. People don't know "Panel De Pon" and might be more hesitant to buy it.

2) The big differences are that in Tetris Attack, you can swap blocks while other blocks are in the process of disappearing, which you can't do in Bejeweled and which makes the most difficult part of Tetris Attack, that being chaining, possible, and new blocks don't come in from the top, but from the bottom, so you always know exactly what you can work with at a given moment in the game - combos very rarely just happen randomly like they can do in Bejeweled when blocks just happen to fall down in the right way.
>>
>>3221584
Bump
>>
>>3221605
Thanks anon; appreciate it
>>
>>3221605

Also, I forgot: In Tetris Attack, you can swap blocks at all times. In Bejeweled, you can only swap when you can make a match. This makes setting up chains and combos a lot more possible in Tetris Attack, and to me, that makes it a lot more skill-based.
>>
>>3221584
>what is brand recognition?
come on, anon.
>>
>>3221616
Is there an agreement in which game is the hardest? They all seem similar besides the skins such as Pokemon, Fairies, Etc
>>
File: puzzlehqdefault.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
puzzlehqdefault.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>3221584
In the case of Candy Crush, it uses a similar puzzle mechanic but is a very different game set up. Panel de Pon and Bejeweled can be played in an endless mode where you're just dealing with the pieces you get and going for score.

Candy Crush is a series of pre-designed levels that have their own gimmick or set up and once you beat one you move onto the next.

Sort of like the set puzzle modes in some of the Panel de Pon games.
>>
>>3221668

I haven't heard of any consensus regarding difficulty. The only thing I've heard is that Pokemon Puzzle Challenge is the preferred game for speedruns because compensating for the lack of an enemy playfield with a simple bar makes things more consistent (although things still aren't consistent at all because heals).

Also, from totally unscientific personal experience, I recall Pokemon Puzzle League being hard as shit compared to other games I played (largely only Tetris Attack SNES and GB). It's also pretty certain that the Pokemon Puzzle League 3D mode is a massive fucking pain in the ass. But that's not difficulty, that's being a pain in the ass.
>>
File: Lakitu - Tetris Attack.png (9KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
Lakitu - Tetris Attack.png
9KB, 512x448px
Tetris was invented as a play on the word, Tetra. Which means: "Forming compounds having the sense of four."

Tetris Attack indeed has little, if anything, to do with the original concept of Tetris, other than it being a puzzle game involving blocks.

That being said, it's still wildly entertaining and fun to play. And that title screen music.
>Hnnggg
>>
Is pac attack exactly like some other game?
>>
>>3221689

I haven't seen anything like it. From what I can tell, Pac-Attack is its own little bit of insanity.
>>
tfw there will never be a version of puzzle league with good netplay
>>
>>3221668
I can't say for certain which one is the hardest but I remember having the most difficulty with Pokemon Puzzle Leagues hard modes and 3D mode. The series in general has an extremely good learning curve though, it's incredibly easy for first time gamers to pick it up and its skill ceiling is as high as any other competitive puzzle games.

If you're looking to try it out I'd stick with either SNES version or Pokemon Puzzle League. The Gamecube one in Nintendo Puzzle Collection is great too but I'm pretty sure it still doesn't have a proper fan translation so unless you can read Japanese it's probably not the best one to start with. The Gameboy Color games are like diet versions of the SNES game and the GBA/DS games are fucking trash.
>>
>>3221686
>little, if anything, to do with the original concept of Tetris
Yep, there's nothing similar at all about two puzzle games where the goal is to prevent blocks from reaching the top of the screen. Not one tiny similarity! Why are you such a dumb fucking retard?
>>
>>3222710
Can confirm PPL's difficulty. SNES PdP/TA has a hidden difficulty for Vs. Com, which is hold Up+L then press A and background will be dark red. I regularly thrash this mode without continues. The hardest difficulty on N64 PPL wrecks me pretty hard until I get warmed up, and it's still quite a challenge. Shit's beastly.
>>
>>3221584

I feel like you're asking questions instead of just playing the game and seeing for yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not discouraging this behavior in any way, but this is in my opinion the very best puzzle game every created. If you can find a buddy to play with you locally you will the vs mode to be the best head-to-head experience the genre has to offer.

You'd be doing yourself a disservice by NOT playing it.
>>
File: tetrisblast_GBBOX.jpg (70KB, 423x377px) Image search: [Google]
tetrisblast_GBBOX.jpg
70KB, 423x377px
best tetris game comin thru
>>
>>3223976
>If you can find a buddy to play with you locally you will the vs mode to be the best head-to-head experience the genre has to offer.

So much truth. One of the greatest gaming experiences in my life was at Otakon, about 6 years ago, playing some GC Panel de Pon against some guy. We were pretty evenly matched, which made it even better. First round went to about 18 mins, which I barely won. Second round went to a little over 22 mins, he won. The final round was just shy of 30 mins before I finally got the win. He was a really good sport and we shook hands after. Getting the hype shivers just writing about it.

Next year of Otakon there was no PdP/PPL/TA to be found anywhere. One of the biggest disappointments in my life.

On the upside, my girlfriend that I met a year and a half ago called the series "criminally underrated" and her "favorite puzzle game ever." I knew that I had found my true love, anons.
>>
>>3225119
Every retard on this planet calls every game they like "underrated" regardless of how popular the game actually is so that they can feel like a special little snowflake with a unique opinion. But it's cool that you're so desperate for love that you will fuck literally anything that has the same opinion about you about anything and I respect the hell out of it.
>>
Nintendo had the license to Tetris at the time so they renamed Panel de Pon to Tetris Attack for the western release in order to make easy money off of name recognition. They went further and replaced all the original characters with ones from Yoshi's Island for even more brand recognition. In all, Nintendo butchered an original IP for $$$.
>>
>>3225303
What if I told you
that we haven't banged yet
and we won't until marriage
and she's a virgin

Back to /v/ with you!
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.