[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

System Shock 1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 27

File: output_RX2HQc.gif (398KB, 572x476px) Image search: [Google]
output_RX2HQc.gif
398KB, 572x476px
I don't feel like there is enough attention given to this game as it is largely overshadowed by System Shock 2, so talk SS1 ITT.

What level are you on? Favorite enemies, weapons? Why do you prefer this to SS2?
Are you hype for the remake? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPLF9Ad9ns

SS3 this year maybe?
>>
>>3220934
>Why do you prefer this to SS2?
Lots of reasons. Off the top of my head:

>SHODAN behaves more threateningly
>level design and puzzles are deeper
>music and sound direction are better
>no annoying random weapon jamming
>MUCH more engaging hacking minigame
>no silly RPG mechanics (PSI spells)

I feel like the only reason people only like SS2 is because it's on Windows and it plays like a typical FPS by default.
>>
>>3220953
I also find SS1 a much more enjoyable experience, probably because SS2 spooks me out too much to have fun. SS1 very comfy to just sit back and sink a few hours into and gets very addictive.

>>3220953
>no annoying random weapon jamming
The jamming wasn't random, it was based on a number indicating the condition of your weapon, but the problem is the weapons degrade so damn quickly.
>>
File: Screenshot (290).png (336KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (290).png
336KB, 1440x900px
I am surprised at how far ahead of its time this game was. It was only a year after DOOM, but had stuff like the energy mechanic, alternate ammo types for weapons, enemies that responded differently to different types of damage, hacking minigames, huge and complex levels, an inventory system, audio logs, looting etc. That's more deep and complex than a lot of games released in the present day.

It's a shame the original controls were so bad it could have such an impact on the gaming industry
>>
>>3220934
SS1 has some of the greatest video game music tracks I've ever heard. I wasn't a fan of the techno stuff in 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOkOCAm-v0U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIUgojwub9U
>>
>>3221078
The music in 2 took a lot of tension out of the atmosphere imo
>>
The main thing about SS1 is just how ambitious it was and how much it accomplished.

It's just 1 year after doom and this game's got the nicest lighting effects anyone's going to see until Quake (I think?). It's got storytelling in an action game that doesn't get in the way. The hacking minigames are good. The level design is an impressive blend of realistic and gameplay-focused, managing to work beautifully without being completely abstract.

It gets so much right that it's fucking *crazy*.

SS2 is great, I love it. But SS1 is the innovator.
Everything SS2 is remembered for, SS1 did first, and in a few cases, did better.

Devs are *still* lifting core concepts from both Shock 1 & 2.
>>
>>3221131
shame they couldn't lift a few more concepts with the bioshock games
>>
File: system shock spector.jpg (44KB, 365x449px) Image search: [Google]
system shock spector.jpg
44KB, 365x449px
>>3221131
desu SS1 feels less impressive to me after I tried Ultima Underworld because they're both very similar but the latter came out in 1992, even before Wolfenstein 3d. Not to say SS isn't impressive.

I can't wait for the SS1 remake so people can complain about how it's been simplified because it has no stats, classes, or weapon degradation.
>>
File: lvl0.jpg (1MB, 4647x1799px) Image search: [Google]
lvl0.jpg
1MB, 4647x1799px
>>
File: 1446143274218.webm (3MB, 792x600px) Image search: [Google]
1446143274218.webm
3MB, 792x600px
>>
>>3221261
Why doesn't Ultima Underworld get the credit wolf 3D does? I only played UU1 a few months ago and I was blown away with that they were able to do before Wolf 3D.
>>
hows the steam re-release?
>>
>>3221309
I imagine because Wolf 3d was more accessible. Simpler gameplay, ran on more people's computers, and there was a shareware version.
>>
>>3220934
>I don't feel like there is enough attention given to this game as it is largely overshadowed by System Shock 2

Not on /vr/ it fucking isn't. In fact, it's the other way around, I haven't seen an SS2 thread in months.
>>
>>3221287
>there are people who prefer the level design in 2 to this
>>
>>3221323
Mouse aim kinda breaks the game, but the added resolution options is worth it alone.
>>
File: external001.jpg (477KB, 1214x816px) Image search: [Google]
external001.jpg
477KB, 1214x816px
>>3221287
>>
>>3221078
>not posting the fantastic Apple remixes
ya blew it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzrTAUSueuI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfjIpc_Lbjk

was pretty shit that EE didn't include an option for mac music
>>
>>3221334
Also Ultima Underworld didn't really do anything new. It was pretty much just a real time version of a dungeon crawler like Wizardry. Wolf 3D was a fast-paced first person shooter, something that hadn't really been done before on the same scale that Wolf did.
>>
File: 1439358585979.jpg (776KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1439358585979.jpg
776KB, 800x800px
>>3221413
I love how all the levels are structured exactly how the space station look like in the intro cutscene. It's a nice detail.
>>
>>3222050
Designing levels as a "space", and then adding "mission content", always produces better results IMO.
>>
Essential viewing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LDiTZ89j-Q
>>
>>3220953
i think that ss2 was was far better designed in some aspects to be more realsitic (in that the story made sense with the environments), i consider it one of the best designed games i've ever played, of course that ss1 is far better in the rpg and dificulty aspects, both are great
>>3221130
what? i think that the music made it creepy af
>>3221131
i agree, ss1 was the innovator
>>3221323
>>3221408
better search the ss1 unofficial portable, it's far better but stopped being developed after they started selling ss1 again
>>3222365
very essential, i'd love a book made of looking glass like masters of doom
>>
>>3220934
Out of all their games I would say SS1 is easily their golden masterpiece. But I guess you could really say that about any of their games right?
>>
>>3220934
i'm stuck at some cyberspace part on level 2 or 3
maximum hype for the remake
>>
>>3222451
>But I guess you could really say that about any of their games right?
It's obviously British Open Championship Golf.
Really though I'd say it's Thief: The Dark Project. Maybe Terra Nova could've been it if they didn't waste so much time and money fucking around with live action cutscenes.
>>
>>3222573
With Terra Nova they were pretty clearly trying to do a Wing Commander 3 style game, since that was all the rage back then.
>>
>>3222587
Yeah but I read some interview with a dev who said they regretted the cutscene because they added about a year to the game's development (which allowed MechWarrior 2 to be released before it), and he linked that to the game's commercial failure (which I've heard almost put LGS out of business).
>>
>>3221413
>>3222050
>I love how all the levels are structured exactly how the space station look like in the intro cutscene. It's a nice detail.
Holy mackerel, I never even noticed the levels are scaled and cohesive to form a proper location. It was more obvious in the second game. With all the traps and hazards, the levels felt like the usual mishmash of mazes, corridors, concentric shapes and patterns, monster closets, and such.
>>
>>3221408
>mouse aim breaks the game
I find SS1 absolutely unplayable without mouse aim. I would never recommend anyone play it without it, especially anyone who has played another shock game trying to get into it.
>>
>>3223194
git gud
>>
I'm running the Enhanced Edition, the resolution bump and the built in mouse mod made me start playing it. Currently on the floor with the invisible amebas >_< it's very spooky. I just got the Laser Saber, it's awesome! :D
>>
I remember hearing about SS1 from a buddy of mine. He was a total gaming freak, playing through nearly anything and really exploring the games. SS1 literally sucked him in - I remember him wandering the space station on his 486/100 in total awe... mumbling about Shodan.... most likely the player the devs had in mind.
Game never really appealed to me but I do respect it for the well engineered accomplishment that it is.
>>
>>3223435
> >_<
> :D

>>3221408
>mouse aim kinda breaks the game
This is utter bullshit. The mouse aim can be toggled on and off so if it really breaks the game for you, turn it off, like how you can switch between use and view mode in SS2. It is also infinitely better than moving the mouse to where you want to look, then hold clicking until you eventually end up facing that direction. It does wonders for the flow and speed of an otherwise cumbersome and tedious control scheme, as well as making it easier for more people to enjoy.
>>
Played it not so long ago. I was pretty impresssed by its "modernity" and the incredible mood and tension. Mouse-lock makes the game almost playable too.
Sadly I can't stand the level design with all the corridors and mazes and whatever. Early 3D era was really harsh for players with poor spatial awareness.
>>
File: VFX1.jpg (96KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
VFX1.jpg
96KB, 1024x768px
So has anyone actually played the game on a VFX-1 like it was designed? Not too many people remember the first wave of consumer VR back in the 90's.
>>
>>3221036
It did have an impact on the gaming industry.

Nowadays everyone is copying System Shock 1 hacking minigame rather than SS2 one, for example (most modern hacking minigames are "connect the dots" rather than random like in SS2).
>>
>>3225793
u wot

The hacking in SS1 was fully 3D and felt like a flight sim or something. The hacking in SS2, by contrast, was a massive step down from SS1.
>>
>>3221309
>>3221261
>>3221938

I often hear Ultima Underworld mentioned in conjunction with SS1. Is it worth playing or is it like what Wolf3d is to DOOM, in the sense that all aspects of the game have been improved elsewhere?
>>
>>3220934
level 2, i keep fucking dying. favorite weapons are the grenades. all of them, love throwing them behind corners. i like the movement and level design more than system shock 2 thus far. you can actually run and also enemies might be retarded but they are still dangerous. very atmospheric, music works so fucking well, and im actually scared as fuck of shodan and have been since THE FUCKING INTRO. also animations are a lot better in the original, weapons feel powerful and its just an overall better experience
>>
Any recommended places to get system shock from? I know there's sites that let you download it for free but I don't trust them.
>>
>>3226376
If you want to try it out, torrent it from some link in kat.cr, look for one that says GOG in the title.

If you like it and want to purchase, I'd say GOG too because it has no DRM like Steam does.
>>
>>3226387
Does SS1 have DRM on steam? SS2 doesn't.
>>
>>3226418
First time I hear of a game on Steam without DRM, just assumed SS1 had it too.
>>
>>3226387
Thanks man, I'll check it out
>>
>>3226418
Sou can play it without the steam client once you downloaded it? move the folder to another computer? will it just work?
>>
>>3226437
With SS2 yes. It doesn't care if you have steam or not, its self contained. Once you download it you can do whatever you want with it. No idea if SS1 is the same or not.
A list of all the DRM free steam games is floating around somewhere, I'm sure a quick google would get you it. It says what games are DRM free and what you have to do to make them DRM free. Most of the time you don't need to do anything, but sometimes you have to delete a file or two to get it to launch sans steam.
>>
I am very worried about the remake. Night Dive studios has only ever ported old PC games to Steam and GOG and never made an actual game themselves.

The trailer in OP is almost definately not real gameplay, considering the distant release date and the size of the company.

I guess I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than painfully disappointed.
>>
>>3226961
Its not like SS1 is a big game. Its not short, but it has a lot of reused areas and back tracking. They don't have to do nearly as much work as you would think. I could see the full game looking that nice.
>>
>>3226961
I can only hope they ask some of the old devs for help or get their blessings
>>
>>3220934
SS1 is LGS's best game. Ultima Underworld being a close second.
>>
>>3232265
Terra Nova is better than UU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYTit60G6Hk
>>
>>3220934
System Shock 1 Remastered Pre-Alpha Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPLF9Ad9ns
>>
>>3234512
>without white stripe
>>
File: shodan ascii.jpg (757KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
shodan ascii.jpg
757KB, 1280x800px
>>3234512
It looks excellent, but it WILL NOT have the same gameplay. The removal of the clunky, outdated UI will force balance changes; the difficulty of HUD navigation both heightened tension and made the game more frenetic. Without this, the game will likely lose some of the original's quirk and charm (though we can't possibly know if it will be for the better until we are presented more details). All in all, I'm sure I'll enjoy the remake, but I can certainly imagine myself playing through the original more often.
>>
>>3234512
Graphics and voices look alright but whst is up with that oh-so-spooky music? If it doesn't have the oroginal soundtrack it will probably be shit. Also, I want to slice robots with my laser rapier while sliding on my jet boots at high speed, will it be possible on this engine?
>>
File: Screenshot_Doom_20160501_202031.png (342KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_Doom_20160501_202031.png
342KB, 1280x960px
>>3234663
>Also, I want to slice robots with my laser rapier while sliding on my jet boots at high speed
i like your style
>>
File: cyber_loli_peni_tool_dad.png (156KB, 931x922px) Image search: [Google]
cyber_loli_peni_tool_dad.png
156KB, 931x922px
>>3235209
I saved this a while ago:

>It doesn't get any more cyberpunk than skating down a shaft towards firing executive bots, listening to the geiger crackle spike like mad while heavy industrial music grinds in my ears, as my targeting ware comes online, the combat drug hallucinations start to kick in and the laser rapier flickers to life in my hands.

I wonder if the anon who wrote it still lurks this place.
>>
>>3220934
I played this for the first time about a week ago, using GoG version with mouselook mod. I am a huge fan of SS2 so it's a bit stupid I took so long to play it.

Thoughts are:

>Controls, even with mouselook, are fucking clunky
>Wire puzzles werea complete mess (I couldn't figure out what I was being asked, seemed like a random crapshoot)
>Certain guns felt meaty. Laser saber was awesome. Energy system was great. Felt like I had way too much ammo thrown at me though (played on difficulty 2 across the board).
>Multiple ammo types was a good touch, but their effects were too similar to make tactical usage a proper game mechanic
>Levels were well constructed and had good variety of architecture and enemy types
>Music was a bit hit and miss. Sounds quite jarring, although executive level music is god tier.
>Main gripe is how until you find a cyborg conversion unit, you're legitimately in danger (a good thing) but once you find one there is no penalty for dying in that level, which makes it completely trivial
>Cyberspace blows balls.

Over all, bretty good.
>>
File: GOG_or_STEAM_version.png (336KB, 1141x479px) Image search: [Google]
GOG_or_STEAM_version.png
336KB, 1141x479px
>>3221323
>>3221408
>>3223435
>>3226376
>>3226387
As a conclusion, which version is better? Seems like it GOG version.

>>3225378
Any versions of System Shock 1 for the Oculus Rift?
Oculus Rift and VorpX | System Shock 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDVG3jRNmT0
>>
File: 1461296775604.jpg (50KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1461296775604.jpg
50KB, 800x600px
>>3239589
GOG and steam are the same version, except maybe for DRM on the steam one. They're both a modified version of an abandonware fix (system shock portable).
>>
>>3239589
Play the original in DOSbox, you fucking new-age casual shitter.
>>
>>3220934
tried this game for the first time and I can't even get past the very beginning. Couldn't figure out the controls and there's no way to change them on the menu.
>>
>>3241578
If you don't like the controls I recommend getting the enhanced edition it will control like a normal shooter. Or get SS Portable which is what the enhanced edition was built off of (it also has the mouselook mod).
>>
File: peperee.jpg (129KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
peperee.jpg
129KB, 900x900px
>no invert mouselook in enhanced edition
>>
>>3241874
What kind of fucking retard uses inverted controls on an FPS?! Holy shit.
>>
Just started playing, in dosbox. Not bad definitely great story and quite terrifying environment. No idea what the fuck is going on in the 3D hacking mode though.

Controls are obviously clunky as shit, but much more in depth than any other FPS of the time. I just wish they had gone the terminator: future shock route and had freelook and a much smaller UI. It would make for a much more dynamic game.

Personally prefer SS2 just for the clarity. you can see whats actually going on around you, you can move easily around your environment. plus the whole RPG elements are what made system shock 2 so good for me. I like being able to run a variety of wildly different characters, adds to the replayability. The fact the careers system was inspired by the Traveller pen n paper RPG just cements it in the place of greatest system shock for me. This is the way most games go though: there is the innovator, and then there is the culmination of that idea. Doom for example was the innovator, and quake the culmination. Heretic was the innovator, Hexen was the culmination. Rome total war was the innovator (unless you count shogun) and medieval II: Total war was the culmination (Empire becomes a different story...)
>>
File: Enhanced_Editions_V2.png (3MB, 2500x698px) Image search: [Google]
Enhanced_Editions_V2.png
3MB, 2500x698px
>>3240025
Thanks

System Shock 1 from Night Dive Studios - Remake
Black Mesa - Remake
Deus Ex Revision (Steam) - Enhanced Edition
Blade of Light (Mod DB) - Enhanced Edition
Thief Gold HD (Mod DB) - Enhanced Edition

Please suggest some other Enhanced Editions and/or Remakes.
>>
File: U_Mad.jpg (273KB, 936x1136px) Image search: [Google]
U_Mad.jpg
273KB, 936x1136px
>>3240752
>>
File: thief_2012-06-07_00-16-24-36[1].jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
thief_2012-06-07_00-16-24-36[1].jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>3242739
Thief Gold HD is awful desu. It's like the creator just looked for any high res texture without any care for how they would look together in-game.

Also, I'm not familiar with either but I've heard GMDX is better than Revision, might be worth looking at.
>>
File: 1463761013344.png (270KB, 600x359px) Image search: [Google]
1463761013344.png
270KB, 600x359px
>>3242739

>Deus ex Revision

No, please don't do that. Play vanilla or with some texture and lighting mods plus AI mods (vanilla A.I is retarded). Revision fucks up the soundtrack (you can turn that off though) and changes level design I believe. Or do like >>3242789 said and play GMDX.
>>
>>3223997
definitely makes it easier though
>>
File: 1462656804249.jpg (36KB, 565x486px) Image search: [Google]
1462656804249.jpg
36KB, 565x486px
>>3236323
lol this fucking guy has his images named specifically
>>
File: 1455491693303.jpg (9KB, 214x170px) Image search: [Google]
1455491693303.jpg
9KB, 214x170px
>>3242789
>that picture
do people actually think this looks good?
>>
File: Deus_Ex_GMDX.png (3MB, 948x1888px) Image search: [Google]
Deus_Ex_GMDX.png
3MB, 948x1888px
>>3242842
> Revision fucks up the soundtrack
I didn't know that.
>>3242789
GMDX - Looks like a great Mod. We can just add it to the collection, so anyone can pick whatever he/she wants.
I mean the Revision can be a valuable option for the second playthrough.
>>
File: dump025[1].png (1016KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dump025[1].png
1016KB, 1280x720px
>>3242948
Apparently.
Also, say hi to the creator's gf.
>>
File: c.1[1].jpg (3MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
c.1[1].jpg
3MB, 1920x1200px
>>3243258
>>
>>3243260
I believe this is Ramirez's bath, though it now has the appearance of a dungeon.
>>
>>3243258
>>3243260
>>3243276
Yup, fucking disgusting. Don't know how I ever managed to beat the game thinking this looked good, I only play with vanilla textures now.
>>
>>3242359
Same kind that plays flight simulators?
>>
>>3244570
I play racing games with a wheel. I'm not going to use that in an FPS though am I? You fucking idiot.
>>
>>3244989
>#triggered

No I use a mouse to play an FPS, I pull the mouse down to pull the nose up.

It's funny you can play invert y-axis on SS1E by editing a file but when you go to cyber space the y-axis reverts back to normal considering you're in a flight mode.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.