[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What could have saved it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: GG.jpg (261KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
GG.jpg
261KB, 1280x768px
What could have saved it?
>>
>>3218892
As is? Not much, the hardware just wasn't portable in any real sense, and the battery life was atrocious. The Tv tuner was cool though, maybe if they'd advertised it for an older crowd that travelled a lot and focused on more casual games like tetris.
>>
If they could double the battery life would be golden
>>
Being released by Nintendo.
>>
Battery life was terrible
>>
I would mandate that every game include either blood or nudity or Wolverine
>>
>>3218892
Maybe if they had included a rechargeable battery pack or something...

I dunno, I loved my Game Gear as a kid. I still play it now and then.
>>
No competition from Nintendo.
>>
As others have said, it was the battery. It should have used a reflective screen with no backlight similar to the GBC screen.
>>
File: Z0047818.jpg (149KB, 1024x789px) Image search: [Google]
Z0047818.jpg
149KB, 1024x789px
For all the shit that the Game Gear gets for not doing as well as the Game Boy (even though it sold over 2 million units and had plenty of support in Japan), people forget that the Game Boy itself was barely doing any better until Pokemon came out. After the Tetris craze died out, the Game Boy practically became an overpriced paperweight, not unlike the Wii once grandparents and kids got tired of it.

Perhaps the Game Gear might had lived longer if it had a smaller and longer-lasting redesign and Sega made its own Pokemon knockoff (they were still supporting the system when Pokemon came out with the Kids Gear rebranding).
>>
>>3218935
Or even a nude, bloody Wolverine.
>>
man sonic chaos and castle (or land I dont remember) of illusion was A-MAZ-ING when that shit was new. Took a 5 hr trip to Canada that turned into an 8 hr trip when our trailer axel broke and praise the gods I had a car adapter and 5 new games.
>>
>>3218954
To be fair, the gameboy was 7 years old by the time pokemon came out, the fact that it had a resurgence that late in the game is frankly incredible. If pokemon hadn't been the breakout success that it was nintendo may have actually released a new piece of hardware instead of just iterating on the incredibly dated hardware they were using.
>>
>>3218892
A magical battery that never runs out.
>>
Americans not being brand loyal to Nintendo would of helped. Nintendo won off of brand name. To be honest SEGA should still be around if people equally bought SEGA and Nintendo. Still around as in making consoles.
>>
>>3219048

Where are you from? I'm from latin america, I traveled to the US in 1994 and I saw more Game Gears than Game Boys. On TV I also saw more Sega ads than Nintendo ones (and if it was a multiplat game, the Sega game was the one getting more exposure).

I'd say it was pretty even back then, you just seem to have some kind of victim complex with Nintendo or something (both are great companies, you know?).

I just think what didn't work for the GG was the battery life and the lack of strong 3rd party support, most of the best games on it are 1st party, but it's still a pretty awesome system, I got it before the Game Boy.
>>
>>3219048
>SEGA should still be around if people equally bought SEGA and Nintendo
No shit?
>>
>>3219104
actually i only had nintendo systems growing up till the ps2. i knew of one friend with a game gear and one with a genesis. nintendo ruled over everything at school.

i don't know where you were in america but im gonna guess south texas or socal where every poor person had sega consoles.
>>
>>3219112

I was in New York actually
>>
A slim revision and then later a compatible enhanced version, basically imagine the Neogeo pocket color with 4bit tiles.

But instead of keeping it modest they again pushed overly powerful tech with the Nomad.
>>
this thread again?

nothing could save anyone outside of the juggernaut of gameboy
>>
>>3219048
>SEGA should still be around if people equally bought SEGA and Nintendo
>actually thinking this
>no consideration for Sega's shitty management
>being this underage
>>
>>3219138
>greentext posters
i'm in my late 20s.
>>
>>3218892
Smaller form factor, bigger screen, a tenth of the battery life, and using caps that don't start leaking in it.
>>
File: 1356900923880.jpg (169KB, 1200x1760px) Image search: [Google]
1356900923880.jpg
169KB, 1200x1760px
>>3219048
>Nintendo won off of brand name.

That happened in the late 90s after Sega killed itself. In 91-94, Nintendo was the thing for toddlers while Sega is what the cool kids had. The Game Gear was advertised by Judge Dredd, even (in the UK anyway).
>>
>>3219175
the logic of this is astounding, that judge dredd DOES exist in the far future, but yet in the present we have predicted his existance
>>
>>3219048

You're spouting the whole "nintendo is only popular because of American brand loyalists" all throughout /vr/.

Is that you, Australia-kun?
>>
>>3218954
>After the Tetris craze died out, the Game Boy practically became an overpriced paperweight
Its funny you think this because not a single damn person who was alive during that period was thinking that thanks to Nintendo constant turning out great titles
>>
battery life. It was useless without wall plug or car adapter kit. Also, it needed a 3rd button so it could properly port genesis titles.
>>
>>3219267
As good as stuff like Donkey Kong '94, Metroid II and Link's Awakening were on the original Game Boy, they never quite achieved the same level popularity as Tetris did. There was definitely a decline in general software sales until Pokemon came out.
http://www.chrismcovell.com/GameBoyDecline.html
>>
>>3219298
Just because you have a few freaks of nature like pokemon and tetris it doesn't devalue the other titles
>>
>>3219306
It has nothing to do with the inherent quality of the titles themselves. It's simply an objective fact that the Game Boy was simply declining in software support until Pokemon came out and revitalized interest in the platform.
>>
Games would have been nice.
I had a baseball game, Sonic, and uhh... did it have other games?
Even that damn graphic is included the same games multiple times.
>>
>>3219175
>>3219194
thats a really good advert.
>>
>>3219175
>Your descendants will be compensated for the door.

Every fucking time
>>
what about pokemon?
>>
>>3219175
Holy shit, that's badass.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.