[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your favorite retro RPG?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 17

File: Super Mario RPG.png (35KB, 512x445px) Image search: [Google]
Super Mario RPG.png
35KB, 512x445px
What's your favorite retro RPG?
>>
Why wasn't Yoshi an actual party member instead of all those new guys no one cared about?
>>
>>3216162
>Not caring about Geno
That's a problem on your end. Geno's awesome.
>Not caring about Mallow
Okay you got me on that one.
>>
>>3216143
I guess one of the Pokemon games, but I don't know which one. They kind of blur together even though I love them all.
>>
earthbound
super mario rpg
i dont care about anything else, fantasy settings are all the same to me
>>
Why is the Legends of the Seven Stars ROM hacking community not as popular as Doom?
>>
>>3216195
Multiplayer makes all the difference.
>>
>>3216195
I assume it's the lack of multiplayer and the large amount of work it takes to retool an RPG that was never meant to be modded to begin with.
>>
Who else agrees that Super Mario RPG is a way better game than Chrono Trigger?
>>
>>3216162
>>3216181
The supporter everyone adores is still only a supporter not a primary character. The main ones you see are Mario, Toadstool, and Bowser. Yoshi wouldn't be as fleshed out in Mario RPG's battle mechanics. The whole theme of Mario RPG is centered around otherworldly forces and planes of existence which is where Geno comes in. It is also about expanding outside the Mushroom Kingdom exploring the whole world what it has to offer of that continuity to emphasize this is a bigger adventure than any other yet. Mallow is the party member who represents the outside world.
>>
>>3216228
Does Square own Mallow too or just Geno? I'm surprised Mallow never was in another game.
>>
>>3216143
Final Fantasy V. It's not just my favorite retro RPG, it's my favorite RPG of all time, although I think it could be better if it had a damn cutscene skipping option, was harder, and had better balance.
>>
>>3216524
They own, but wouldn't be hard to get their approval to use those characters.
>>
File: 38577773_p0.jpg (832KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
38577773_p0.jpg
832KB, 1920x1200px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04cm8X95c5g
>>
>>3216210
I do
>>
Chrono Trigger AND Cross are my absolute favorite, but it's my favorite genre so I have other favorites as well.
>>
>>3216143
The one from Duke Nukem 3d.
>>
I want to say dragon quest five but a huge part of why I loved that game was party chat, which isn't in any retro version of the game. I guess I would have to choose Final Fantasy 9.
>>
>>3216635
>Another Grand Chrono Unifier appears

You aren't alone, even though it feels like it, friend.
>>
File: tfw drugs.jpg (17KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
tfw drugs.jpg
17KB, 360x270px
My top 5:

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
SaGa Frontier 2
Chrono Trigger
Star Ocean: Second Story
Earthbound
>>
>>3216748
How could they get away with advertising drugs in a SNES game?
>>
>>3216839

Well it was an advert ingame for the drugstore, so maybe it slipped under the radar.
>>
How do you cope with the fact that life is literally too short to play every good JRPG to completion?
>>
>>3216210
Both games are very similar. CT has more side quests and is bigger in many aspects, but Mario RPG has a way more interesting setting and characters IMO, and the plot script is funnier and bettter put together. They're both great when it comes to graphics and soundtrack.

I'd say Mario RPG is a bit better than CT overall.
>>
>>3216143
Where's that pic from? Is that from some hack rom?
>>
>>3216897

Probably just some pixel artist's mockup. Really good job but the boss enemy is a little off.
>>
>>3216872

Pretty good - I'll never run out of them.
>>
File: image.png (678KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
678KB, 640x1136px
Final Fantasy Tactics my dude.
>>
kingdom hearts
>>
File: 1445652161632.jpg (18KB, 143x320px) Image search: [Google]
1445652161632.jpg
18KB, 143x320px
>>3216162
>luigi wasn't the comic relief
At least he got his time to shine years later in the mario and luigi games.
>>
>>3216143
Darklands or jagged alliance
>>
>>3216143
Earthbound and Mother 3
Chrono Trigger
FFVI
Lufia II

One of those. Not sure which one.

Never played Mario RPG. Might one of these days. Right now I'm playing through FFV for the first time, so maybe after that.
>>
>>3216584
I think it's hilarious that Square was willing to okay Cloud being in Smash Bros., but they refused to let Nintendo have rights to Geno and Mallow.
>>
>>3216635
>>3216745
Brothers and sisters in arms.

>>3216957
You're welcome.
>>
>>3216872
>30-40 hours per game
>can knock one out every 2-3 days
>conservatively say you can beat 2 per week
>52 weeks in a year
>most of board has at least 50 years left to live

2 x 52 x 50 = 5200

I'm pretty sure there are not 5,200 RPGs even made yet. Nothing to worry about.
>>
>>3217059
Geno did manage to be make it in as a Mii costume, though. And he made a cameo in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

One has to wonder why Geno and Mallow couldn't have made appearances in Square's Mario sports games and Fortune Street for the Wii, though.
>>
>>3217059
>they refused to let Nintendo have rights to Geno and Mallow
Geno was in Superstar Saga, you colossal retard. Square doesn't "absolutely refuse" to let Nintendo use their characters but if they're going to put one in a fighting game, they're going to choose someone that has more popularity/crosspromotional appeal.
>>
>>3217452
>One has to wonder why Geno and Mallow couldn't have made appearances in Square's Mario sports games and Fortune Street for the Wii, though.
Yeah, I'm also a gigantic moron that often wonders why Square's more popular and iconic characters are chosen for cameos instead of ones I personally like. I'm so sick of corporations doing things that please other people but odon't please me!!1!
>>
Final Fantasy Legend III
Breath of Fire III
Lunar Eternal Blue
Legend of Mana
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Suikoden II

Asking for a favorite from me is near impossible. Just off the top of my head without even thinking of more, those ones come to mind and I have fond memories of playing each and every one. Yes, they do have flaws like a large potions of Child Ryu's story, Legend of Mana's huge lack of challenge, and Suikoden II not having the Luca Blight segment the final segement just to name a few but I still regularly go back and replay those every few years
>>
>>3217735
Is there a reason why the PS1 had such GOAT RPGs?
>>
Dragon Quest V.

It's also my favourite RPG overall.
>>
File: yoshis-village.png (3MB, 3200x1270px) Image search: [Google]
yoshis-village.png
3MB, 3200x1270px
>>3216143
PAPER MARIO
PAPER MARIO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZwTurQTyw
>>
>>3217029
Luigi didn't really have a personality at that point because he was still just green mario
>>
File: 1408339003537.jpg (38KB, 258x254px) Image search: [Google]
1408339003537.jpg
38KB, 258x254px
>>3218210
This. Hell, it's my favorite game in general.
>>
>>3217029
He was great in Paper Mario: the thousand year door. Not retro but to me that is the ultimate mario RPG
>>
>>3217774
DQV is the best RPG of all time.
>>
>>3218546
It's interesting as a lot of alternative stuff like comics or manga painted him as a comedic coward who has his moments, which is how Nintendo later went on ti show him.
>>
>>3219229
Luigi's cowardly personality came straight out of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. Miyamoto has even stated this.
>>
>>3217475
What was exactly stopping them from adding in two slots for them, at least on the Wii games?

Besides, most people outside of die-hard FF fans don't really associate Final Fantasy with the classic job classes that appeared in Mario Hoops 3-on-3 and Mario Sports Mix anymore (except for maybe the Black Mage), and I'm willing to bet that aside from the Slime (which also appeared in Sports Mix), more people could recognize Geno and Mallow than they could the Dragon Quest characters in Fortune Street.
>>
I have a special fondness for the original PS1 Tales of Destiny. I realize it has it's faults and it's actually a bit bugged but something about the overall presentation stuck with me and it's got my favorite hero/heroine in the franchise and there's a huge amount of side content.

what's more for how niche Tales was at the time it has a shockingly well done localization. It's like the team bringing it over, I dunno gave a shit.
>>
>>3217121
Some of us have jobs. There is no way an average adult will be able to commit that many hours into games on a consistent basis with a full time job. Especially not very possible if you have children. Let's be honest here, a lot of the retro game players are people that are old enough to be married and have children.
>>
>>3220724
>more people could recognize Geno and Mallow than they could the Dragon Quest characters
Maybe in America, but don't forget that Dragon Quest is one of the biggest gaming franchises of all time in Japan, and Fortune Street is a Square Enix series that's been going on since the NES days. They only released the Wii game in the West because it's the one with Mario characters in it. The other games wouldn't get a second glance around here (except for maybe the Final Fantasy vs Dragon Quest one)
>>
>>3216143
took me years, literally YEARS to realize that toadofsky was a reference to tchaikovsky.
young me thinking "Toad Of Sky? Oh well his kid's a cloud, fuck it."
>>
>>3216210
I feel like CT is superior, but I love them both for very different reasons.
CT had much better audio, not just the fact that the battle music from mario RPG made me want to rip my dick off but just the SFX and incidental music left much to be desired.
Plus after seeing it realized so well in rare games, that whole pre-rendered CGI bitmap art style felt poorly realized.

Still, I loved the battles, the level up system, and many other aspects of mario RPG,
>>
Am I a casual if I want to be an RPGfag but can never really get interested or deeply invested in any of them? The only RPGs I've ever completed are the Pokemon games (all of them and the Ranger spinoffs) and M&L. I own Earthbound, SMRPG, FF, and FFII but I just can't.
>>
>>3221168
Nah famicom
Youll get a better feeling of accomplishment playing skills / reflexes games
>>
>>3221168
Sounds pretty casual to me, but you do) have to be! I basically only play JRPGs but I take months to beat them, no shame in taking your sweet time friend. Give it a shot in short bursts while you're watching TV or something. I like JRPGs because they're grindy and relaxing. I can zone out and still make good progress. Also use guides, no shame in that either.
>>
>>3217121
Yeah, I play a lot, but not 13 hours a day man. That's a pretty bizarre estimate
>>
>>3221195
don't have to be*
>>
File: PS2 data center girl.jpg (993KB, 1300x919px) Image search: [Google]
PS2 data center girl.jpg
993KB, 1300x919px
Phantasy Star 2. It's mostly nostalgia for me, though, but the atmosphere, visual style, story, and music really come together perfectly for me, and it's decently challenging with room for different strategies. Anyone who likes games with a strong sense of exploration (you should really try to make graph paper maps for this one) should give it a whirl. Also, Nei is cute.
I also have a soft spot for PS1&4, FF5&7, the Mother series, Lunar 2:EB, a bunch of Strategy RPGs and a handful of not retro GBA titles.
>>
Tie between Suikoden II and Dragon Quest V
>>
File: Breath of Fire 3 - Wobbly.gif (855KB, 482x418px) Image search: [Google]
Breath of Fire 3 - Wobbly.gif
855KB, 482x418px
Breath of Fire 3 is not only my favorite retro RPG, it's also my all-time favorite vidya game. The colors, the graphics, the characters, the music, the insanely deep gameplay and design.
I could pop this sucker in my PSone any day and get lost for hours.

If forced, I would trade every game ever made for Breath of Fire 3. Because to me, Breath of Fire 3 is video games.

>>3221365
>That file name
PS2 is not retro!

Oh wait,... you meant Phantasy Star 2...

Great game. Carry on.
>>
File: Nei.gif (15KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
Nei.gif
15KB, 640x448px
>>3221365
Actually, now that I think about it, I didn't play much of Phantasy Star II. Phantasy Star IV was the Genesis RPG I mostly played, and I loved it.

You mention exploration—something I feel most Genesis titles are missing. I'm assuming you mean the dungeons you explore in first-person view? (Pretty sure Phantasy Star II featured a first-person mode like its predecessor.)
How big are those dungeons you explore? And would you say the overworld is full of exploration, as well?
>>
File: in this moment Nei is euphoric.png (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
in this moment Nei is euphoric.png
70KB, 640x480px
>>3221530
Only PS1 was first person.

PS2 does have giant maze like dungeons though, but it's top down.
>>
File: bluedam.png (319KB, 2078x3326px) Image search: [Google]
bluedam.png
319KB, 2078x3326px
>>3221530
2 is overhead like 4. Only PS1 has first-person dungeons, but PS2 was originally intended to. It has sprawling, mazelike dungeons that get too huge to mentally map (at least for me) by the time you get to the Dams section. The worlds are pretty wide-open as well, and directions as to where to head next can be pretty vague, so there are many points where you just have to head out in a direction and see if you find anything. You can get pretty lost for a while on Dezolis at first. It would be better if the landscape changed as you wandered like in Lunar 2, but its still very good at getting across the feeling of setting out into the unknown rather than taking a guided tour.
>>
>>3221540
>Nei took the herb
>But it's really catnip!
This has made me feel... euphoric.
>>
>>3221553
That map looks confusing to navigate with all the different chutes. Very confusing. Seems like it would be difficult to draw out on paper, as well. Is the enemy encounter rate high? Because if so, that Blue Dam dungeon you showed me would probably take a long time to complete.
>>
>>3221575
Encounter rate is huge. Lots of enemies that can blow you away quickly too. Plan on making many short trips to gather items, learn the route, and retreat to heal.
>>
>>3221575
The encounter rate is pretty high. If you are not playing along with I premade map like this (and you're kind of missing out on the experience if you use one) then you will have to leave and come back several times due to running out of TP/items.
>>
>>3221582
The original game came with maps of all the real dungeons. They didn't expect you to do it on your own.
>>
>>3216143
I cant pick just one
FF7 and Star Ocean 2
>>
File: Nei.png (102KB, 290x224px) Image search: [Google]
Nei.png
102KB, 290x224px
>>3221581
>>3221582
Sounds fun and challenging. Rewarding. Does all the backtracking ever become tedious or discouraging?
>>
File: nei.jpg (29KB, 297x350px) Image search: [Google]
nei.jpg
29KB, 297x350px
>>3221604
It can, especially at the aforementioned Dams section. By that point, as a kid, I was determined to stick it out, but I have dropped it a couple times at the Dams when replaying. You have to want it.
>>
>>3221589
I bought it used as a kid, missing the "hint book" but including the manual so at the time I didn't know I was missing something. I have fond memories of making my own maps, though, so I recommend it, but I see what you mean: if there were maps for all the big dungeons then I guess I can't really say that mapping it out yourself was intended, even if personally it was a huge component of the experience.
I'm glad there's multiple people here who dig Phantasy Star 2.
>>
File: Phantasy Star Generation 2.jpg (208KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Phantasy Star Generation 2.jpg
208KB, 1920x1080px
>>3221628
>You have to want it
The characters look interesting enough to get me to wade through the tougher moments. How is the storyline? Deep?

>>3221639
>I have fond memories of making my own maps, though, so I recommend it
Drawing maps always gave me a more personal connection between myself and the game. It only fleshed out the experience.
>I'm glad there's multiple people here who dig Phantasy Star 2
As well as newcomers to the game like me who are now interested.

Any tips you guys would offer me before I start playing?
>>
Why no Phantasy Star 5 on Saturn WHYYYYYYYY
>>
>>3221660
>How is the storyline? Deep?
Nah, it's pretty straightforward. PS doesn't do overly philosophical 2deep4u bullshit and instead puts more emphasis on the game.
>>
>>3221660
I like the story a lot, but, looking back, there is not much dialogue at all so it's not as character-driven as you might like. The text adventures pad out the characters more. It's a dystopian future setting where people are essentially ruled over by a computer, which worked well for a while but then things started to go wrong.
-Grind until you can afford better weapons before tackling the first dungeon. This is boring but by the time you are done with the first dungeon you will be in about the same spot you would have if you'd tried to tackle it head on and kept leaving with half your party dead. You shouldn't have to grind for the rest of the game after this.
-Everytime you get to a new place, use the nearest teleporter to go home. there might be a new character available.
-Explore different strategies for battle. Physical attacks will only get you so far. Equipping a shield on each arm and using techs instead is an option. Think about who you want to attack what: some attacks target whole groupings of enemies, which is important to figure out, and with two one-handed weapons, you will get two attacks. Some techs are more effective on machines and others on biological monsters.
-The piano teacher will only teach boys, and you only need to learn piano for one specific event in a dungeon.
-Always have an escapipe on hand in case you need to leave a dungeon quickly and you are nowhere near the entrance.
-The character Shir can't steal from enemies but can steal from shops. She will do this randomly without player input. If she disappears, go home to pick her back up and get the item she stole with her. This is the only way to get a Visiphone, which allows you to save anywhere. I think the reason why they made this a hidden item is that if you save in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of a huge dungeon, you can have a hard time figuring out where you were going.
>>
File: uzofuckingshit.jpg (165KB, 720x408px) Image search: [Google]
uzofuckingshit.jpg
165KB, 720x408px
>>3221589
Honestly those maps weren't very good. this is the uzo island map
>>
Do any retro jrpgs have good writing? im playing through suikoden II right now and its like it was written by an 8 year old
>>
>>3221702
I misremembered the piano teacher bit. He just charges more for girls. Regardless, only one person needs it only one time and it doesn't matter who.
>>
>>3221984
Arguably, Earthbound. You might not like the style, but it has snappy dialogue and professional writing.
Phantasy Star 4 has decent writing, but only on the level of a scifi anime, not, say, classic literature.
Some people praise the writing in Valkyrie Profile while others say the translation is terrible. I haven't played it for over a decade so i couldn't tell you.
Maybe try the recently translated Record of Lodoss War Snes game?
>>
>>3221719
Fuck that entire area in general
>>
Diablo2 or Kings Field. The lack of any modern spooky RPGs outside of Souls saddens me.
>>
>>3217059
Why do you assume the reason they don't use them is because they can't and not because they don't want to?
>>
>>3216748
>SaGa Frontier 2
I thought I was the only one.
>>
>>3221660
If you're gonna play it play the original Genesis version not that awful shitty PS2 remake you keep posting pics from
>>
>>3222607

Those hand drawn sprites with the watercolors, yeaa boiii
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.