[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Expansion packs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 10

File: QSALogo.jpg (38KB, 330x395px) Image search: [Google]
QSALogo.jpg
38KB, 330x395px
Can we talk about the old days of expansion packs? That thing that existed before DLC and was far superior to it and what DLC should be.
>>
Gothic 2 expansion pack was GOAT
>>
>>3214069
scourge of armagon is racially superior to the base game
>>
File: sinwages_003.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sinwages_003.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
>>
File: Brood_War_box_art_(StarCraft).jpg (50KB, 416x500px) Image search: [Google]
Brood_War_box_art_(StarCraft).jpg
50KB, 416x500px
Starcraft: Brood War kicked major ass for an exp pack. Gameplay, story, you name it, this thing was worth full price.

Half Life: Opposing Force was an excellent exp pack for its too. It expanded on the original while providing its own unique experience, great ride.
>>
File: idhow015-198042.jpg (16KB, 382x600px) Image search: [Google]
idhow015-198042.jpg
16KB, 382x600px
>>3214069
Heart of winter really nicely addressed how Baldur's Gate series players had that weird habit of replaying the games in odd ways and shuffled up a lot of stuff in the original game, and then when the expansion areas were labelled too short, they made up for it and created a downloadable expansion to the the expansion, a "patch for the low play time".

But it infuriatingly upped the system requirements, that was nasty back then.
>>
File: 141069319627.jpg (128KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
141069319627.jpg
128KB, 480x640px
>>3214350

I will agree with Broodwar, one of my favorites of all time and I still play it occasionally

>tfw gateway asia is still slammin
>>
File: mcga.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mcga.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
If only the new mechs could be usable in the base campaign, but I guess that would fuck up the balance
>>
>>3214091
Fuck no.
>>
brood war
opposing force
deeper dungeons
rollercoaster tycoon exp packs

all are excellent choices.
especially opposing force.
that game was sweeeet.
shame blue shift sucked
>>
File: 500707.jpg (21KB, 124x175px) Image search: [Google]
500707.jpg
21KB, 124x175px
>Duke It Out In DC for Duke Nukem 3D
>Caribbean Life for Duke Nukem 3D
>Wanton Destruction for Shadow Warrior
>Cryptic Passage for Blood
>Suckin' Grits On Route 66 for Redneck Rampage

The best.
>>
>>3215492
show me the rollling boulders in vanilla quake
>>
>>3216553
If you want set pieces and gimmicks that are only interesting once just play Half-life
>>
>>3215457
What could you be talking about?

mechwarrior games had that huge bit of lameness where the only really defining thing about a mech was its weight, and whether it was an inner sphere or clan mech, and that's IF you wanted to use endo steel internals, and what shape target it was. unless it couldn't torso twist.
>>
File: Gravis Dualshock Xtreme.jpg (13KB, 342x343px) Image search: [Google]
Gravis Dualshock Xtreme.jpg
13KB, 342x343px
I miss the old days of expansion packs. You would get 50-75% of a game's length in content for half-price or less of a full game. The content recycled assets, but was generally at least par with the original game's quality (not so much with some of those later Duke and Quake 2 packs). Nobody would gripe about it being derivative or delivery more of the same. Back then, third party devs could get the game's tools and build their own full episodes from scratch. If they got the attention of a real publisher, they could even stand to make real dosh. Today, you're lucky if the devs sell you a morsel of a game for $12.99+tax+tip+shoeshine+directshareholderdividend.
>>
>>3217157
MechCommander's customization is more limited so the mechs are a bit more defined. You can't give a mech more armor or make it faster, you can only customize its weapons and sensors. Each mech has variants that trade component capacity either for more armor or for jumpjets, and their performance is affected by the skill of the pilot you assign to it, but that's about it. Because of the limitations to customization, even mechs of the same weight class such as the Thor and the Catapult would be distinct from each other because the former will always have a speed advantage.
>>
File: catapult.gif (19KB, 222x240px) Image search: [Google]
catapult.gif
19KB, 222x240px
>>3217221
Well, catapult IS supposed to be a quite primitive madcat/timberwolf relative.

Thors have them thunder thighs, normally that big easy target would be a weakness, interestingly contrasting the poster mech image, though I suppose mechcommander would not have depicted the legging-opportunism factor in any way.
>>
>>3214069
Expansion packs were hardly worthwhile when it came to ID games. Most of them were just really well done mods since assets were heavily re-used. In the case of blizzard, we always got fresh content so they definitely get my respect for expansions.

As a Quake fanboy though, I love the abundance of maps because many of these have had better flow than the paid expansions.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.