[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retronaughts and retro gaming popularity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 246
Thread images: 19

File: retro2600x600bb.jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
retro2600x600bb.jpg
22KB, 300x300px
So apparently Retronaughts is in the top 5 of popular video game podcasts. That's pretty surprising for a show dedicated to something most of us here seem to think is pretty niche. What do you think it says about the state and popularity of retro gaming overall?
>>
>>3206748
Other than Giant Bomb, what other popular video game podcasts are still around? I think it says more about the state of Video game podcasts more than Retronauts.
>>
>>3206761
You might have a bit of a point with there. There are tons of them out there, but not many popular ones anymore. I miss Joystiq. Polygon is a shitty, shitty substitute.
>>
>>3206748
How are these guys? I never really listen to video game podcasts but a retro one sounds cool.
>>
>>3206748
>"Retronaughts is in the top 5 of popular video game podcasts"

According to what? Is there an official ranking?

What are the other vg podcasts about? In the latest retronauts episode, they said there is a minecraft podcast and a Division podcast. Are those the ones on the top spots?
>>
>>3206834
Hit and miss. Episodes with Jeremy Parish and Ray Barnholdt are good, but Bob Mackey is cancer, he has very limited knowledge of most /vr/, talks out of his ass and tries to shove his SJW politics in where nobody asked him to.
>>
>>3206834
It's really cool. I used to listen to the giant bombcast, nintendo world report, outlaw gamer radio and kotaku splitscreen. But those are very repetitive or boring (splitscreen is just boring) and now Retronauts is the only podcast i listen to.

http://www.usgamer.net/archive?tag=retronauts
>>
>>3206867
Not if HG101 is any indication; many of the articles have unsolicited liberal opinions shoved in, and kalata runs their forum like a re-education camp. Not sure whether he or Mackey is more of a zealot.
>>
File: Quality_HG101_writing.png (7KB, 623x191px) Image search: [Google]
Quality_HG101_writing.png
7KB, 623x191px
>>3206997
He defended the shitty localization of Fire Emblem: Fates not long ago because he personally knows one of the translators who worked on it (Nich Maragos, a former GIA writer). #toomuchsoy indeed.
>>
Fuck off to the e celeb containment thread
>>
>>3207012
Not all articles on HG101 are like that, they have some decent articles. I really like that they cover a wide range of games, just wish it had better writing.
>>
>>3207012
He'll defend anything if it's contrary to gamergate. Fun fact, the reason he cut ties with Sketcz was because of that ralphretort interview, where he tried to get support from gg in his little tiff with that kaku chick.
>>
File: 658_1.jpg (472KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
658_1.jpg
472KB, 768x1024px
>>3207028
I noticed that as well. He even unfriended a few people on Twitter because they were GG supporter. I called him out about it on his ask.fm page and he gave some bullshit non-answer about it. Of course, it's not surprise that he supports bullshit left-wing ideals looking at how he looks.

I didn't know he cut ties with Etch-a-Sketcz though.
>>
>>3207027
Most are pretty good - the ones to watch out for are anything written by Kalata or Derboo featuring a game with girls in it, or any of those recent lesbian walking simulator reviews.

>>3207042
He just permabanned one of the guys from their podcast on the forum because he was trolling about kalata's SJW mania.
>>
>>3206849
Hell, Parish can be a know it all sjw enforcer as well but he has his moments. Ray was the best person on the show but sadly he's rarely on anymore.
>>
>>3207054
Ray's podcast with his friend Alex, No More Whoppers, is really entertaining. Honestly Alex would be amazing on Retronauts, he's funnier and more knowledgeable than pretty much everybody else on the show. Hes running a retro game bar in Japan, so he's living the /vr/ weeb dream.
>>
>>3207058
No More Whoppers is pretty good. Just wish they'd have a normal release schedule.
>>
>>3206837
It's the iTunes ranking, which is like the only place 85% people get podcasts.
>>
>>3206748
>That's pretty surprising for a show dedicated to something most of us here seem to think is pretty niche.

Not really. They were pushed pretty hard by EGM about ten or so years ago.
>>
>>3207352
On top of that, they're the only podcast left from the 1-Up Network days.
>>
>>3207051
>He just permabanned one of the guys from their podcast on the forum because he was trolling about kalata's SJW mania.
Was it Joestar? He's the only one in their group who isn't a complete blue-pilled mess and he hasn't posted in the forums in almost two weeks now.
>>
>>3207191
It's a good show, A-game hosts, and it has the benefit of not having Mackey on it.

>>3207485
Yeah, I fucked up and "whined too much" (which I do, but in this case "whining" was "not agreeing"). I just wish the site would go back to talking about games. Or that we had a common, non-threatening menace like zzz-kun that everyone could agree about. I miss zzz.
>>
I've been listening to retronauts for fucking years. I really plan on sticking with it till the end.

Honestly though in the past 2 years the quality has really declined. There are tons of episodes that are only 7-15 minutes long. Plenty of them are just cobbled together filler, like they'll make a pretense that the episode is about musc but really there's just 7 minutes of SNES music without meaningful commentary.

They're also weirdly low energy these days - oddly elitist, distant, bored sounding.
>>
>>3207764
>They're also weirdly low energy these days - oddly elitist, distant, bored sounding.

Sounds like they'd be a perfect fit here.
>>
>>3207691
>Yeah, I fucked up and "whined too much" (which I do, but in this case "whining" was "not agreeing").
So much for the whole notion of "agreeing to disagreeing". It's also kind of a weird coincidence how that Nightdreamer idiot decided to come back from the dead after you got banned.
>>
>>3207902
Ain't that a bitch... anyway he's a good fit for the place.
>>
>>3206834
The first run of the podcast was it's best era.
>>
>>3207947
The lack of Kohler and Shane really hurts. I never liked Sharkey, always acted like a smug piece of shit.
>>
>>3208214
I remember when his site ripped off the layout from Seanbaby's old page and then he claimed it was a parody.
>>
>Resident Evil episode
>Bob says it hasn't "aged well"
>Bob complains about the "puzzles" in RE1 being too hard, preferring babby's first puzzles in RE2
>Bob complains about tank controls
>Bob complains about it being too hard
>>
>>3207945
Yeah, that nerd culture thread on the off-topic board pretty much turned into the Oppression Olympics.
>>
I feel like Jeremy gets unnecessarily confrontational sometimes with opinions for whatever reason. Like in a near-hostile manner shooting peoples opinions down. I dunno. Bothers me sometimes. Also I miss Ray.

Plus I don't like how Jeremy pronounces "else" as "elts"
>>
>>3208278
Not sure if it was that thread, but someone told me that jbackside got called out by someone else for his shit, I hope they don't get banned too. As an aside, jdarkstool is the worst thing to happen to the site; all he does is write about shitty indie games, whine about how he's an oppressed bisexual, and act like an asshole on the forum. But since his political views are in agreement with the management, he has carte blanche to harass anyone he wants and get away with it. Anyway, he's a ticking timebomb and it'll be funny when he finally flames out.
>>
>>3208585
>But since his political views are in agreement with the management, he has carte blanche to harass anyone he wants and get away with it.
Kinda makes me wish Icycalm was still around, as much of a nutjob as he was, since he had a habit of calling out much of Kurt's bullshit on HG101. The SHMUPs forum does that too, but not really as often.
>>
Just listening to the latest Resident Evil episode, Mackey basically talks over everyone throughout the entire hour.
>>
>>3209054
Jeremy didn't have anything interesting to say, he doesn't even like the games and hadn't played them since launch. Really terrible episode.
>>
>>3209153
I remember Jeremy used to have a hateboner for the RE series back when he ran Toastyfrog, so he's not exactly the kind of person who would look back at the series fondly. Then again, I doubt he really plays anything outside 2D platformers and JRPGs (he hated the N64 too).
>>
>>3209049
You don't know what you've got till it's gone I guess. I can't say I agree 100 percent with SHMUPs for their reasons for hating HG101 (the 1cc or GTFO philosophy) but like you said, it's a dissenting opinion and it's easy to take something like that (or the potential benefits of it) for granted.

>>3209054
I almost want to listen to hear how bad it is. I heard the Castlevania/Dracula X stuff was cringeworthy.
>>
>>3209768
It is, I really wish there was a "mute Bob" button on my player.
>>
>>3210091
Heh, too bad there's not something like that old Cleanflicks service, edited for content episodes.
>>
>>3207042

>>3207028

>cut ties
But still promotes the book and the shitty videos? are you sure you know what "cut ties" means?
>>
>>3210545
>But still promotes the book and the shitty videos? are you sure you know what "cut ties" means?
That's why the other anon comment's about cutting ties with Sketcz took me by surprise, since Kurt was white-knighting him for a while after Kaku went nuclear on him on Twitter.
>>
>>3210545
Sorry, that was probably not the best way to put it; Kurt's father in law made the DVDs for him and they were the ones selling them for Sketcz, that's why they were promoting those at least. But aside from those ads and "inventory" stuff like those videos for the youtube channel they have nothing to do with each other anymore (see below).

>>3210568
Sketu-chan got real paranoid and went nuclear on the other staff because he thought there was an SJW media black out conspiracy on his book.
>>
Holy shit I had no idea retronauts was still around. I thought it ended 2 or 3 years ago.
>>
>>3206761
One More Go is pretty sporadic but the episodes they DO have are excellent.

Barry and Nicol are based as fuck
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/one-more-go/id571029369?mt=2
>>
>>3210974
>Sketu-chan got real paranoid and went nuclear on the other staff because he thought there was an SJW media black out conspiracy on his book.
The book got plenty of promotion, given it was brought up on /v/ a few times and even Kid Fenris (who is a bit of an SJW-in-denial himself) shilled it on Anime News Network. It's just doen't much attention since most of the gaming media only care about flavor of the moment AAA releases.
>>
>>3211674
Exactly - he had a lot of exposure during the Kickstarter period and when the book was released. But he's a paranoid narcissist and assumed it was the SJWs coming to get him when things tapered off. He didn't take it well when other people told him that.
>>
I really like RetroBlast. It's just this guy talking about his gaming experiences in the 90's. Sometimes he even reviews an issue of EGM.
>>
>>3211674
>last episode was June 16th, 2015

Don't know if I want to start listening to something that's dead, anon.
>>
retro is for professional muthafukkas not for hipsters.
>>
>>3211852
Which show?
>>
>>3212314
Shit, quoted the wrong message, meant this one:
>>3210984
>>
>>3209768
>You don't know what you've got till it's gone I guess.
He was the one described HG101 as a "culture of mediocrity", which the site adopted as part of their slogan for a while.
>I can't say I agree 100 percent with SHMUPs for their reasons for hating HG101 (the 1cc or GTFO philosophy) but like you said, it's a dissenting opinion and it's easy to take something like that (or the potential benefits of it) for granted.
Most people's gripe with HG101 is the fact that they have a habit of whining a lot about the difficulty of certain games, to the point that they recommend blatantly casual methods to clear them. In fact, their Ghouls 'n Ghosts article consider the Genesis version to be the definite version of the game, not necessarily because it's arcade perfect or has more content or anything, but because it has an invincibility cheat. They literally say it's the only way to play the game.

Funnily someone brought up Shmups and Shoryuken.com in that "nerd culture" thread on HG101 as being too elitist for him and it was the same idiot who whined about being stuffed in the locker too many times in high school for liking games.
>>
>>3212645
Understandable - I used to defend the use of "hardcore" in that it dealt with games that more often than not people didn't know of - but that's becoming less and less applicable.

I really wish I could see that nerd culture thread, but I can't even log out and look at it. Who was it that said they got stuffed in a locker?
>>
>>3212857
>I really wish I could see that nerd culture thread, but I can't even log out and look at it. Who was it that said they got stuffed in a locker?
Jason X.
>>
>>3212881
Huh... I was going to guess jdarkside but then again you didn't say "idiot that whined about how everyone hates him because he's an oppressed bisexual in the big bad south and by the way did he mention that he was bisexual and how much he hates gamer culture? It's been five minutes..."

On-topic, I really really liked the wrestling games episode of retronauts, where they basically had some other guys come on and talk about stuff since the main guys didn't know shit about it.
>>
>>3212857
>I really wish I could see that nerd culture thread, but I can't even log out and look at it.
Have you tried a proxy?
>>
>>3212901
Nah, not yet (I'd only just tried getting in this evening and I'm too lazy right now, I'll do it later).
>>
>>3212885
>On-topic, I really really liked the wrestling games episode of retronauts, where they basically had some other guys come on and talk about stuff since the main guys didn't know shit about it.
Yeah I agree with you on that. I don't give a fuck about wrestling, but they were so passionate that that showed through and made their discussion Super compelling. Passion and love makes anything interesting.
>>
>>3211893
amen brother.
ill have you know am a professional mothafukka myself
>>
Could /vr/ make a podcast about old games?
>>
>>3213174
Would need a good amount of quality control.
>>
>>3211852
They'll come back to it eventually.

The guys are involved with a few other podcasts but thats the only retro game themed one. For what it is, it's a good ride. I found some cool stuff from it that I wasn't aware of.
>>
>>3213412
I feel like we wouldn't need to try to hard to make something better than retronauts or hg101s podcast.
>>
>>3213449
Hey man, we were pretty good when people didn't vote for a miserable shit game.
>>
>>3213481
Sorry I meant their OLD podcast. GC199X is ok, it depends on the game really. I enjoyed the Hybrid Heaven episode a lot.
>>
>>3213486
Heheh, I was kidding. We were turning to shit at the end because we were burned out (last ep is good though - Pasokon Deacon knocked it out of the park).

Any reason you liked the HH ep? That and Blue Stinger are my favorites because of how much I ended up enjoying the games versus how people tend to talk shit about them.
>>
>>>e-celeb general

Keep it in one thread or fuck the fuck off, shitbags.
>>
>>3214093
It was fun hearing the host joke about stuff while still discussing the game. Also going into stuff like how it has a "dreamlike" atmosphere was something I never thought about until someone pointed it out. I've yet to listen to the Blue Stinger episode but it's next on my list.
>>
>>3213174
I'm talking with another anon about it, but not as a /vr/ specific thing. Part of the problem of one specific to here would be that you'd get trolls hijacking the thread, people screaming "not retro", etc.

>>3214309
Thanks man! My favorite part of the game was how weird it was - I still think it's very Ultraman-like. It was a great topic for conversation.
>>
>>3206748
Kek
>>
>>3206748
>most of us here seem to think is pretty niche
Yeah, man, these multimillion-selling corporate products sure are niche! Jesus Chirst, you dumb fucks will do anything to make yourselves seem like special little snowflakes.
>>
>>3218429
Well to be fair, retro games are only a fraction of that amount.

>>3218394
It wouldn't be /vr/ if someone wasn't complaining about something not fitting their definition of retro game-related discourse.
>>
>>3218429
Are you really trying to imply that retro gaming is anywhere near as popular as contemporary gaming? Because that's what it sounds like, but no one could really be that stupid.
>>
>>3218837
Retro gaming used to be contemporary gaming at one point too.
>>
>>3218924
Obviously. I never meant to imply otherwise. But in the current year 2016, the number or people who play mostly old games is very small compared to the ones who play mostly new ones.
>>
>>3206748
Shilling and v-tier shit is not retro
>>>/g/

>>3207042
>>3210974
>>3211674
>GG muh Feminazis
Read the rules. 4channers are not your personal army. Here's your containment >>>/pol/
>>
>>3219579
Someone got triggered today.
>>
>>3206748
Is this an iTunes thing because it's not uncommong for Giant Bomb to be temporarily bumped out of the top spot. Even Bonfireside Chat did it for a little while but they're a Dark Souls podcast and it's the season of Dark Souls 3.
>>
I liked their episode of Resident Evil but holy hell they overemphasize how clunky the first Resident Evil games are. They're not that hard to get into. In fact, they're the easiest games to get into from that vintage
>>
>>3210981
It was revived
>>
>>3207764
How would give meaningful commentary to 20 year-old music though?
>>
>>3206867
I get annoyed by it but at the same time I listen to podcasts like Retronauts to hear about retro games and that's what I get and usually the liberal whining doesn't make a big deal of the cast time.
>>
>>3206849
i got into retroanuts through Bob mackey. I'm a fan of lasertime and sometimes Bob Mackey makes guest appearances on some of their shows. I like him in Vidjagame Apocalypse but not so much in Retronauts
>>
>>3220137
It's less an issue with commentary or not, and more that it's an easy excuse to not record a new episode and instead just put together som mp3s. If I wanted to just listen to some music, I would.
>>
>>3220241
I guess. What I would like to know is how much work needs to go into a single episode. If they space them out and do micro episodes for the sake of quality I could understand but that information is unknown to me
>>
>>3208220
It's all reasonable.
>>
>>3220261
It's way to hyperbolic. The original RE games are great and the difficulty clunkiness does wonders for how the game feels but modern-minded gamers look back at those games as archaic. It's immature and shallow and should be called out.
>>
Any other retro game podcasts?
>>
>>3220623
http://thepunkeffect.com/
>>
>DURR FUCKING HURR LET'S MAKE AN E-CELEB THREAD BECAUSE WE'RE TOO SPESHUL TO POST IN THE CONTAINMENT THREAD HURR FUCKING DURR

Go away please
>>
>>3219669
>>3219584
S***** and R********
>>
>>3220880
What?
>>
>>3220639
aw cool
>>
>>3220642
You first.

This is about Retronauts and other retro-gaming podcasts, not about e-celebs. If you don't like it, go get angry on one of the ten waifu threads instead, we got your message already.
>>
>>3220642
> CONTAINMENT THREAD

This is the key problem you have. There is no purpose or need for any kind of "containment thread". You're not in charge of the board. We are not here to cater to you and only support threads you like.

If it triggers you so much you start typing HURR DURR allcaps, that's no skin off my back. Stay mad all you want. I'm not changing how I post to make you happy.
>>
>>3206748
If we're going to have e-celeb threads, why do they have to be about Retronauts? Is it just because they're from 1up?
>>
>>3221352
Why would they not be about retronaughts?
>>
Another episode I really enjoyed aside from the Wrestling one was the one where Jeremy talked about the Colecovision - it was a great overview of a system that gets ignored a lot, and his anecdotes (about his family owning an ADAM his dad got on clearance at Kay Bee Toys) were great.
>>
>>3221421
thats why I listen to Retronauts is because they are significantly older than me so they can talk about the pre-NES video game days that I have no grasp of. /vr/ criticizes Retronauts for being uninformed but I get so much education from them and maybe it's because I just don't pay attention to that kind of retro gaming outside of 'Nauts, but the podcast has a value to me.
>>
>>3221324
>>3221348

>th-this isn't e-celeb bullshit! it's retro! it's retro!!!! it's as retro as the GBA!

Fuck off, retards.
>>
>>3222005
Why do you even care...
>>
>>3222005
>Fuck off, retards.

No thanks. But keep getting mad, cupcake. It's always good for a chuckle.
>>
File: people.jpg (198KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
people.jpg
198KB, 960x720px
>>3206748
Well, more and more e-celebs are jumping on the retrogaming bandwagon recently, but I don't mind.

I like retrogaming and I probably will until I die. The back catalogue is so huge I could play until I die.
>>
>Hey guys, let's talk about people that talk about videogames instead of actually discussing videogames

Kill yourselves.
>>
>>3221324
As pathetic as waifufag threads are, at least they're still about videogames.
>>
>>3222158
We'd be talking about retro game-related podcasts if certain people would stop complaining about it.
>>
>>3222082
Because I want to be an asshole and piss you off.

Deal with it.
>>
File: Garnet thumbs up.png (127KB, 496x467px) Image search: [Google]
Garnet thumbs up.png
127KB, 496x467px
>latest Micro episode features Laser Time fellas including Henry Gilbert
>>
>>3222334
Well you're doing pretty good at the first part, you should be proud. /vr/'s legacy is secure.
>>
>>3206761
Super Best Friend Cast
Idle Thumbs is still around although I don't like them very much
The Kingdom Of Loathing guys are still doing podcasts
>>
>>3209768
I like the show in general, it's one of my favorite podcasts; I'm not that knowledgeable about the Castlevania series, but sometimes you can tell Bob just doesn't know what he's talking about. Everyone else on the show is usually enjoyable to listen to.
>>
>>3206748
Retronauts is a pretty good show I've been listening to the show since episode 1 and it was what got me interested in retro vidya in the first place. Jeremy Parish knows his shit most of the time, the show used to be better but its still worth a listen. The only real problem I have with the show is that its bi-weekly and the weeks in between have just a small episode.
>>
>>3222436
Jemery Parish ties the podcast together
>>
>>3222859
Did you even read half of those posts? Keep doing this, it's funny.
>>
How mad to bpeople get when Retronauts gets things wrong?
>>
>>3206748
You know what? I think I've pinned down what my problem is with Retronauts.

It seems like they do episode on popular things because it's expected that a Retro games podcast would do an episode on Resident Evil regardless if any of the hosts really care about RE. They've been doing this for years and have probably ran out of discussion for their most passionate subjects
>>
>>3222859
Thanks for the bumps. :)
>>
On the topic of a /vr/ podcast, do you think it'd get as many "not /vr/" shitposts as this thread?
>>
>>3223923
Do you mean a thread like this but about a retro podcast other than Retronaughts? Probably the same amount but from different angles.
>>
>>3223929
Ah, I meant someone had mentioned /vr/ anons doing a podcast about retro games. Which is a good idea, I think, but would get shit on here regardless.... either by trolls or people butthurt that they aren't the ones getting attention.
>>
>>3206748
checking the top iTunes lists, a lot of this stuff is really unknown by all of my circles. It's weird. I feel out of the loop. The only ones I know of is Crate and Crowbar.
>>
>>3224418
For retro stuff definitely check Retronauts (by extension, No More Whoppers) and HG101 Game Club 199x/whatever the new show after that is called
>>
>>3223958
How could we go about organizing a group to organize a podcast? I'd be interested in doing this, but just to the nature of the site, it's hard to organize something like this.
>>
Isn't there some other retro games podcast that is close to Retronauts but on a different network? I'm drawing a blank.

I remember listening to a retro games podcast on an episode of one of the old LucasArts games and really enjoying it. The hosts were smart and likeable.
>>
>>3224513
Probably need to coordinate on twitter, or set up a slack. Someone can post their twitter handle or namefag to get it started.
>>
>>3224515
Probably doesn't run anymore, most of the podcasts from the late 00's / early 10's are long-gone.

The one that I always thought was horrible was Retro force Go from Destructoid. They never knew what the fuck they were talking about, and they had an attention whoring gay guy who would scream and laugh obnoxiously at every little thing, horrible.
>>
>>3224515
It was probably Retronauts when it was still on 1-Up Network. They did a LucasArts podcast a few times, pretty sure Ron Gilbert was on once or twice. Jeremy Parish does better with the interview style episodes generally.
>>
>>3224569
It wasn't early Retronauts because I listened to 1-up Retro back in the day.Ron Gilbert was on the LucasArts episode though.

>>3224563
Yeah, it might have just disappeared. It was in 2013ish I listened to the episode
>>
>>3224529
Doesn't Slack cost money?
>>
>>3224840
You can get a free account for small groups - I'll have to see if we were using the paid one or not.
>>
>>3224975
Have you done this before?
>>
File: 4awkx22.jpg (58KB, 706x480px) Image search: [Google]
4awkx22.jpg
58KB, 706x480px
>>3206849
>Bob Mackey
>>
>>3206748
I'm tired of Bob Mackey stating his credentials at the start of every tangent.
>>
>>3225472
Yeah, but now I'll be accused of shilling.

As for Slack, we would be alright with just a free account. The big problem is the recording method - we use Skype but recording calls with it is hit or miss. Tried using Mumble since it's easier to record with, but it sounds really "mechanical" like a realaudio clip. Haven't had a chance to try discord but that's supposed to be alright.
>>
>e-celeb bullshit will never fucking be contained

Fuck off please and thanks
>>
>>3225640
What we could try doing is use Skype for the actual podcast discussion, but record ourselves on audacity. It'll take some messing around with lining up the audio correctly when editing it in audacity, but it can be done.
>>
>>3223027
They get some serious things wrong, I've found
>>
File: image.jpg (143KB, 620x466px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143KB, 620x466px
Who is this goon and why is he on Retronauts? Couldn't they at least use some of that Patreon money to get Chris Kohler on?
>>
>>3225789
Wait who is this tard? Seriously, I have no idea who that is.
>>
>>3223875
S$$$$
>>
>>3225789
Was Bob Mackey not part of the old episodes of Retronauts?
>>
>>3225789
>Fat guy who displays his Mario doll collections is a manchild.
News at Eleven.
>>
>>3225789
pic related

>>3225718
We've done that on some streams - you just need to do a beep or whatever that everyone's mic will pick up. I think you can also route the audio for the call host into audacity as a separate input from the microphone although I haven't done that personally.
>>
>>3226648
Oops. Pic related.
>>
>>3225789
Henry Gilbert does not look like how he sounds.
>>
>>3206748
Retro games haven't been niche for a while. Indie retro boom from Retro City Rampage to Shovel Knight, Nintendo Virtual Console, and all the reboots/remakes like new Wolf, new Doom, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Super Mario Maker, and all big Let's Players - e.g. RT's aptly named Let's Play channel, or Game Grumps - play Doom and Megaman and so on - even Pewdiepie recently played Heart of Darkness.

Retro games are sadly the new hipster thing - but at least it has good merits, with more and more people in gaming industry realizing that modern AAA way of making games by back-of-the-box selling points is pointless and unsustainanble, and more people raise concerns about digital preservation (e.g. ask for inclusion of bots or single player mode, and deplore online-only). So at least it does have a good effect on gaming industry as a whole.

So it has good, it has bad, but it definitely isn't obscure.
>>
>>3226750
No he doesn't. I thought he was this guy from IGN named Marty Sliva until I just googled him.
>>
>>3226750
how did you imagine him looking?
>>
File: 1362944526749.png (41KB, 197x204px) Image search: [Google]
1362944526749.png
41KB, 197x204px
>>3206834
Basically

>any other episode with Bob Mackey

Which sadly consists of all episodes from 2011 onward. Guy's a liberal cuck retard and barely does any research about the topics they do.

Also they STILL HAVEN'T given kickstarter backers DVDs like they promised when they brought the show back. Keep in mind the kikestarter was 3 years ago at this point.

Basically, if you ever listen to them just listen to the old 2010 and older shows.

>>3220170
>i got into retroanuts through Bob mackey

Fuck off Bob.
>>
>>3222336
>Bob Mackey's vanity show
>Cuckven Universe

Considering eating a shotgun.
>>
>>3206748
So even with Mackey on the new episodes, how much of the episode is trash versus how much of it is worth listening to? I like ratios and a ratio would really please me.
>>
>>3227621
It's pretty trash.
>>
>>3206748
I only listen in when they do a topic I like an unfortunately that's when they clearly do not give a shit. The Resident Evil episode was just one of many episodes that they did without doing research or even care about the subject. That's why they usually have to invite in their friends onto the show to carry the passion but even they don't give a damn. It's really fucked.

They're in this awful situation where they want to keep doing the show to be "experts" on retro games but they have nothing to say. Maybe it would be best if the podcast closed down and better podcasts could take their place like that cool podcast with that drunk guy playing RPG Maker games all day.
>>
>>3207014
Only YouTubers can be e-celebs. Please gets your memes straight.
>>
>>3220306
I've been playing RE for the first time and I'm loving it, no joke.

been filming the whole thing too, LIKE A MAD MAN
>>
>>3227673
I'm glad you're enjoying it. I know it's hard for most people to go back to those games but I think they offer something special.

It took me awhile but eventually I went back and played the first two Fallouts and really loved them even though getting past their unpleasantness was difficult.
>>
>>3227651
Are you talking about popularity or medium?
>>
>>3221396
spell the damn name right you pencilhead
>>
>>3226915
With the rise of retro-inspired games in the indie gaming scene, I think the line between retro and non-retro has blurred a bit.
>>
>>3223027
I think it should be said is that although podcasts often get serious things wrong, the things that people complain about the most is very minor stuff. If hosts had to google to check every little thing to make sure its correct than there would be lots of dead air and that's not acceptable.
>>
>>3207054
what people need to know about Parish is that when the GG thing started up he deliberately tried to heighten tensions by throwing people against each other. for a guy who preaches civility he sures loves to start shit!
>>
>>3230198
Hm... I guess I missed that. He's probably been the most quiet about that stuff of the hosts, Mackey being the absolute worst by far.
>>
>>3230198
Arey ou sure? All I've seen from Parish is that he's retweeted some YouTube videos breaking down GG.
>>
>>3230198
>>3230325
He always seemed rather slimy to me.
>>
Bob Mackey is trash
>>
I will vouch for anyone who appreciates Deadly Premonition
>>
>>3230325
i'm guessing that's probably the extent of it but the manbabies on here freak out whenever someone criticizes GG
>>
>>3230491
Thing is the videos he linked weren't that malicious. They were definitely anti-GG but in a way that the person behind the video was actually trying to communicate to viewers instead of smugly preaching to the choir like a majority of political content on the internet.
>>
File: woffle_icon.png (32KB, 300x382px) Image search: [Google]
woffle_icon.png
32KB, 300x382px
>>3220124
Pretty sure it's an iTunes thing, yes. Regardless, Retronauts seems to be up there as far as gaming podcasts go.

>>3220623
Watch Out for Fireballs! is a pretty neat one. It'd done by the same guys responsible for Bonfireside Chat. Basically functions as a retro games "book club", in which they run through their detailed thoughts and experiences with a game every other week. It should maybe be noted that their working definition of "retro" is just anything from the time of the prior console generation. Still, they've covered a pretty good library of old games so far. And what they may lack in witty banter they also make up for with some insightful, well-articulated dissections.
>>
>>3227673
I replayed it to see if the puzzles were as hard as Bob claimed...and I think Bob might legitimately be retarded. Or hasn't played the game. I mean the hardest puzzle is really finding your way around efficiently, and that's not even a puzzle. Knowing to use a square crank in a square hole instead of the hexagonal one? I mean fuck, what a moron.
>>
>Discussing any /vr/-related fan-created content is now considered "e-celeb wanking" and shilling

Or maybe, just fucking maybe, some people have a genuine interest in a topic related to retro video games that they want to discuss, but it just happens to be a topic you're not interested in.

In which case, fuck off to a different thread.

>Bob Mackey raging

I've only recently gotten into the show and have maybe listened to 4 or 5 episodes with Bob, but I don't see what the big deal is? He seems to know a decent bit about the topics they cover or at least has someone else there to lean on for decent information.

And his "social justice" stuff has only seems to come out in brief passing comments or points. I guess I'm not sensitive enough to it as some of you?
>>
File: bob.png (34KB, 639x318px) Image search: [Google]
bob.png
34KB, 639x318px
>>3230701
>I guess I'm not sensitive enough to it as some of you?

You probably haven't seen what he does on social media, or in written articles, or in forum posts, and like you said you only listened to 4 or 5 episodes, sometimes he's really belligerent and smug about it.

But yeah, it's not as bad as some people make it out to be on the podcast. My main problem with Bob is that he talks over people constantly.

You've probably heard this before but you should also listen to the old podcasts that are still hosted on archive.org.

https://archive.org/details/Retronauts1-100

People like Sharkey, Bettenhausen and Kohler were way more entertaining than the current cast.
>>
>>3220128
It's passed but I agree. The Resident Evil games are among the easiest to get into Playstation games, they are also my favorites.

Same applies for the Donkey Kong Country trilogy. Fantastic games but nothing about them is "tough as nails" that "tests even the most hardcore". They are definitely among the easiest games on the system.

I just wonder why certain games have reputations like this.
>>
>>3231156
>I just wonder why certain games have reputations like this.

It's just meme mentality. If enough of people say it it's easy to convince someone that something is true. People hear that the Resident Evil games are insanely difficult so they believe it and if they go to play them they will be in that mindset and get all psyched out.
>>
>>3230679
This is the podcast I was talking about in >>3224515. Thank you!
>>
>>3230932
is that tweet really that bad?
>>
>>3231198
Yeah, it's all memespouting, like idiots who say Contra on the NES is difficult without the Konami Code.
>>
>>3231520
Yes. Not giving coverage to a game because you think the creator is a meanie-head is, in fact, that bad. He's a trigger-sensitive safe-space moron and is cancerous.
>>
>>3230701
Some episodes are worse than others. I don't know if they did an episode on God Hand but if they did you bet every twenty minutes they'd have to stop and go "Isn't this SEXIST?"
>>
>>3231691
I need to find it but what caused me to block him (besides him being a retard) was this article where he was complaining about that, Shadow Complex, Chick-Fil-A, Hobby Lobby, and likening them to the Nazis, etc.

Bottom line is he's an ignorant pissant that doesn't even really know that much about the games he's talking about, and spends more time proselytizing about his political views on twitter than like, improving - how did he get in this line of work again?

>>3232060
I didn't listen to the Castlevania one yet, does he bitch about the wimmens in Dracula X?
>>
>>3231520
Use your fucking brain dude. Whoever calls themselves a sjw proudly is a fucking moron
>>
>>3225789
Is Henry Gilbert actually a goon? This is news to me. It explains so many things wihich is why I need to know.
>>
>>3230701
>>3230932
>>3231691
>>3232320
>>3232398
Listen to their live show about the Sega Master System. It's great when Bob tries to wedge in two or three "snarky" jokes but because he's the most uncharacteristic jerk off with piss poor timing he's always greeted with crickets from the crowd. And this is a faggot who fancies himself a "comedy writer".

>>3230701
>have maybe listened to 4 or 5 episodes with Bob

Listen to the old episodes that were on 1up from 2010 and before. The chemistry is way better and when Bob joined that goes out the window.

>He seems to know a decent bit about the topics they cover

He doesn't.
>>
>>3232320
>how did he get in this line of work again?
iirc he interned at 1UP in the company's final years, and probably knowing Jeremy's disdain for doing podcasts opted to take over, with a free handjob to sweeten the deal.

Remember he was the genius behind this:
http://www.1up.com/features/month-misogyny-exposed-minors-hair-pulling

There was a video for this article too that he was in, but it's been memory holed.
>>
>>3234940
>There was a video for this article too that he was in, but it's been memory holed.
Is there a picture of him online. I'd imagined him as an overweight prematurely balding self-hating white dude with black-trimmed glasses.
>>
File: 0b25ba6.jpg (7KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
0b25ba6.jpg
7KB, 200x200px
>>3234957
>>
>>3235038
Eh. I got the white part right at least. Doesn't look that much of a hipster though.
>>
>>3235038
>>3235074
No man should have hair like that in his 30's.
>>
>>3235186
You mean that in the good way, as in "he has such good hair for his age" or in a bad way, as in "his hairstyle too childish for a man in his 30s"?
>>
Guys stop
>>
>>3236015
Bob please I'm giving you all the money my family can afford I have kids on the way
>>
File: Hi I'm Bob Mackey.png (151KB, 474x311px) Image search: [Google]
Hi I'm Bob Mackey.png
151KB, 474x311px
>>3236015
>>
I made a comment about him on twitter and he responded through the Retronauts account to say how funny his jokes are and how I should unblock him.

Before Gamergate I didn't think he was that bad, but was just kind of "the guy that was there" on the show. But even though he doesn't say as much "liberal shit" on the show, it's hard to separate him from the stuff he posts on twitter and in those usgamer articles.

Side note, anyone here from California? Does living there turn you into a pussy, or is it just a really vocal minority?
>>
>>3237093
Even before GG he was always a liberal turd. Listen to the episode where they cover old news broadcasts about the NES. One of the clips they show is of John Stossel covering kids playing the system. Right off the bat it's obvious Bob didn't watch the whole clip completely (he characterizes John as totally hating the system when at the very end of the clip John admits to buying one and playing Tetris with his wife when he puts the kids to bed). And when Bob isn't talking out of his ass, he spends the rest of the clip equating Stossel's libertarian politics to that of a Nazi who eats live children.

The blowback from listeners--seriously, it was that bad--was enough that I think Bob was told by Jeremy or somebody to tone it the fuck down (he didn't immediately, as in a following episode he tried to bait his detractors by referencing it while signing off). Anyone here who says BOB AIN'T THAT BAD GUYZ needs to listen this episode to understand why he's an unrepentant shitheel.
>>
>>3237186
I hadn't listened to that one, but was told about it by a friend. That sounds exactly like Bob's M.O.

On the topic of a /vr/ by /vr/-anons podcast, what would it be about, specifically? /vr/ culture? How much we hate normies? I think people from here getting together to work on something's a great idea, I'm wondering what we'd do though, to differentiate from other podcasts.
>>
>>3220137
>who are the Super Marcato Bros
>>
>>3237204
It sounds like a dumb idea and a waste of time. Podcasts about games, even old ones, are oversaturated. Not to mention I guarantee few people here have a well enunciated charismatic radio voices. One thing I'm sick of is hearing random shitheads doing a podcast and it's usually the same sounding mush mouthed and/or milquetoast autistic faggots with zero charisma, chemistry, or timing to warrant being listened to for more than five minutes.
>>
>>3237250
I have a handsome man voice.
>>
>>3237264
Sure you do
>>
>>3237420
That's what the five people that listened to our show said at least.
>>
>>3237460
Sure they did.
>>
>>3237250
I still cherish that post years ago where we were called uncharismatic sperglords.
>>
>>3237539
...because it meant someone actually listened to our podcast.
>>
>>3237539
>>3237546
Did you worked out your differences with Kurt?
>>
>>3237970
Not really, but he's apparently ok with me finishing articles. My only regret is now I can't contact some folks from there directly since they aren't on twitter.
>>
>that Sonic Call-In episode of Retronauts Live
>>
>>3238080
What triggered the fallout anyway?
>>
>>3238218
I threw shade on twitter about how people he agreed with got away with things that would get other people banned. Then I was banned. I shitposted on twitter to try and find out what specifically prompted it, and that didn't go over well.
>>
>>3238326
That's the same kind of mentality that made NeoGAF what it is today. I think Kurt has an account there now that I think about it.
>>
>>3238345
Must be the SomethingAwful groupthink - I know neorasa (who's like lv 99 white knight) is a regular on their forums.
>>
>>3238362
>neorasa
I remember him from the old HG101 podcast. When did they all join the SJW club?
>>
File: 1463071667755.png (40KB, 1599x302px) Image search: [Google]
1463071667755.png
40KB, 1599x302px
>>3238345
Yep, he has an account (pic related).

>>3238362
CJ Iwakura is another Gaffot too. He was pruderaging recently on a DOA Xtreme 3 thread of all things.
https://archive.is/qpgeK
>>
>>3238326
>I shitposted on twitter to try and find out what specifically prompted it, and that didn't go over well.

Where did it go wrong? Shitposting usually brings results.
>>
is /vr/ secretly full of neofag crossposters?
>>
File: 1376179371379.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1376179371379.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>3238207
One of the last good episodes just because of how awkward it was

>that autistic kid who wanted the hosts to ask HIM questions about Sonic
>mfw Sega announced the call-in episode to their autistic fanbase without telling Retronauts
>>
>>3238771
Considering we have retards defending Mackey and Retronauts, yes.
>>
>>3238386
>>3238345
Why are gamers such fucking libtard faggots? Can't there be game discussion without the ridiculous politics?
>>
>>3238771
I am one. :(
I'm not proud of it, but I was registered there back in 2006, before the dark times, before the SWJ cancer infected everything.
>>
>>3238384
I think it's because they all live on the east coast. Rasa has always been a contrarian asshole though, the current geek landscape has merely given him a stage to work his magic.

>>3238386
CJ Weeabooa is pretty pathetic though, so not a big surprise (or loss). It's funny seeing him pretend to be an industry insider just because he imagined giving Vic Ireland a blowjob once.

>>3238507
I know, right? Who'd have thought...

>>3238802
The kind of people that think games should be considered art are also the kind that are going to gaze into the abyss and come up with paranoid conspiracies, like how Girl's Garden is a CIA plot to keep women enslaved to the cock.
>>
>>3238384
>>3238802
I always noticed some liberal tendencies within HG101, but it didn't come into full fruition until Anita started the whole "finding sexism in everything" trend. That's why they wrote that "video game heroines" article where they praised Ninja Princess as an underrated feminist masterpiece that broke new grounds in gender equality and not some arcade game that just happens to star a girl ninja.

>>3238909
I know Kurt is from New Jersey, which is pretty much the poor man's New York.
>>
>>3237204
>/vr/ culture?
>Hating normies?

I'll start by admitting I love the taste of a good dick, IN ADDITION to noting that I haven't spend a wealth of time on /vr/ (pretty much only hop around when feeling vaguely nostalgic).

However, I was under the impression that there isn't as much "REEE NORMIES STOP TRESPASSING IN MY SACRED SHIT HOLE" as there is in, say, /v/. Because most of us, I assume, are grown ass adults that don't give many fucks about board culture of internet social cliques. As opposed to the majority of 4chan, which I assume is barely making an attempt to conceal how underage they are.

But if we WERE to do a podcast, it shouldn't try to rely too much on vague shit like "board culture". Instead it should just be candid discussions about various retro-themed topics from people that know what they're talking about. Basically what Retronauts claims to be but apparently isn't.

It should also be done by people that'd be into doing it for the fuck of it, because it's not likely to gather any decent audience to speak of, even if it's legitimate quality.
>>
>>3207764
This, I've been following Jeremy Parish since his days on early Toasty Frog (as in after his Super Mario 64 review... where he's reviewing it as a new game) and his high energy early Retronauts stuff.

Honestly, I've stopped listening lately because of how "over this shit" they sound in every podcast.
>>
>>3208215
The fact that Seanbaby never did a podcast is a crying shame.

But if 40 year old Maddox can come back from the dead and have the second most popular comedy podcast (while defending being literally cuckolded)...

The idea that Seanbaby just has this regular job working 9-5 upsets me.
>>
>>3239398
Does he still works for Cucked.com?
>>
>>3239417
Yeah, but like one article every 6 months.
>>
>>3232060
I don't pay attention to his Twitter, but at least on Retronaughts itself they almost never mention anything about sexism.
>>
>>3239417
His Twitter is still hilarious.

What a waste to see him semi-retired.
>>
CAN'T YOU FUCKERS JUST SPELL THE NAME RIGHT
>>
>>3239085
That's for the best. When people say they want to make entertainment (podcasts) for 4chan all I can think is non-stop memes and that's awful. Memes are barely funny and do not translate to podcasts well.
>>
>>3241372
reteronuoghts

reotoronuggs

retrohnots

nope can't do it
>>
>>3206748
S.
>>
>>3237250
I think the main problem is that if it happened, people on /vr/ would be bitching about it not being /vr/. That said, there's plenty of great people here though that are really knowledgeable and would be worth listening to.

>>3239085
I dunno, it's been pretty bad with the /v/ immigrants and the time-honored tradition of losing one's shit over the definition of what can or can't be posted on /vr/ (as seen by any post on this thread containing the word "e-celeb").
>>
File: td-sa.png (60KB, 657x610px) Image search: [Google]
td-sa.png
60KB, 657x610px
>>3238362
>>3238362
>>
>>3243237
It's Descartes' Law in effect.
>>
>>3243332
/tv/ and /pol/ in a nut-shell
>>
>>3243237
>>3243332
>>3243420
Don't forget /b/. Which, dare I fucking say, use to be pretty good.

I still hope /vr/ manages to retain some level of distance from corruptive board culture nonsense. Even though I don't spend as much time around here as other boards, this place seems to have its shit together so far.
>>
>>3243332
Yep. Exactly.
>>
>>3244515
(Except that according to a bunch of websites it is unlikely that Descartes actually said that. The original author of the quote is probably this guy: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1012082)
>>
>>3244001
>I still hope /vr/ manages to retain some level of distance from corruptive board culture nonsense. Even though I don't spend as much time around here as other boards, this place seems to have its shit together so far.
There are idiots who get triggered when you used the wrong term or post something pass the board's cutoff point.
>>
>>3244531
It is easy to understand them. The anti-/v/ immune system, one that any good gaming board has to have at this point, sometimes overreacts. It's like an allergy.
>>
>>3244542
You just described AIDS, anon... not that it's a bad comparison.

>>3239085
>It should also be done by people that'd be into doing it for the fuck of it, because it's not likely to gather any decent audience to speak of, even if it's legitimate quality.

This is a good point - You really, really have to enjoy what you're doing or you're going to burn out. I would also avoid any "listeners pick the game" format or anything where you're potentially going to be playing something you don't like. It can work out really well and you can get some great material if it turns out that you like the game, but more often than not it will be something that is shit. When you're working 9-5 six days a week, taking time out of your schedule to play a game that isn't very good rather than something you want to play sucks, and that is going to reflect poorly in whatever you record. Another issue is scheduling - if you're recording with more than one person, you absolutely need a rock-solid schedule. Again, it's a hassle getting recordings scheduled when you've got a job and personal responsibilities as well, and it's a good way to learn to hate or resent someone when they're late or making last-minute schedule changes.

So yeah, another thing is don't get bitter.
>>
>>3244818
>You just described AIDS
No, AIDS is the opposite. It's insufficient immune response.
>>
My god, a podcast about pieces of technology that sold by the hundreds of millions is among the the most popular podcasts, a form of media that people that consumed those pieces of technology in their childhood seem to value and follow.

What a surprise.
>>
>>3244894
Sorry, I had health class about 25 years ago, my memory is bad.
Thread posts: 246
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.