[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

X-COM: UFO Defense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: xcom grenade.gif (1MB, 427x240px) Image search: [Google]
xcom grenade.gif
1MB, 427x240px
So, yeah, ecks cawm thread.

>tech has been stagnating for hours of playtime because I've been researching useless shit like the noob I am
>don't have any new tech in a while, keep shooting the same UFO's and the same aliens with my gauss rifles, completely dominating their xeno asses
>capture live ethereals by mobbing on them after dropping their UFOs, and finally discover PSI-lab
>go to a night terror mission afterwards, no problem
>my shuttle is full of rookies and a handful of pros because I always let my pros handle the scene and let the rookies just sit in the shuttle
>get completely ravaged by ethereals who beam their cosmic rays at my rookies

Goddamn son, these ethereals are not fucking around. Also, the overpowered sectopods are not helping my situation. They seem to be immune to gauss rounds and almost my whole crew carries gauss rifles.
>>
>>3205992
is the Playstation version ok?
>>
>>3205992
iirc sectopods are vulnerable to lasers? but i dont remember there being gauss weapons in the original, so you are probably on a modded version? at which point who knows if any of the traditional strengths and weaknesses i only half-remember still apply at all
>>
>>3205992
also by god do not let pros handle the scene while leaving rookies to sit. if a higher-ranked person bites the dust its ruinous for the morale of lower-ranked ones, you could have a plane half-full of panicking rookies murdering each other if even one of the experienced troopers goes down. some people have their single highest-rank soldier hang back or sit in the skyranger for this reason, to minimize the risk they'll die and ruin the rest of the team's morale

if a rookie is sent on a mission this is their trial by fire. send those rookies in! but take note if they get mindfucked. if they survive the mission you should consider firing them anyways, you cant afford to be wasting equipment and a seat in the plane on someone without good natural psi resistance.

you should also review newly-hired recruits for critical stats such as accuracy and bravery, bravery especially is hard to raise by field experience, and someone who starts off with shit accuracy is unlikely to be able to gain any field experience either. fire such sub-standard recruits and get a fresh batch

if you need money to be able to handle this kind of turnover consider manufacturing and selling shit, i recall laser cannons had a good profit margin but who knows how it is in your version
>>
>>3206094
Yeah I'm using final mod pack, it includes all kinds of extra stuff from new weapons to new enemies. Some stuff that should had been in the game in the first place like regular real life assault rifles, men in black organization etc.
>>
File: 1408958597835.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1408958597835.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>step out of the shuttle
>get instantly murdered by plasma shot

It's going to be one of those days.
>>
>>3206009
Played it for a while on my PSP, not for long but it's playable.
>>
>>3205992
>ecks cawm

>/reddit/
>>
>>3206109
Soldiers should be given a tag to designate their strengths.

/H for "Heavy" (strength of 30 or up)
/S for "Sniper" (firing accuracy of 60 or up)
/HS for "Heavy Sniper" (both)

Also add a /P tag if a psionically-trained soldier.
>>
>>3206123
Smoke grenades, dude.

Also use scouts. If a soldier spots an alien, have a different soldier shoot. The alien can only reaction shot the guy who's spotting him.

Once you've gotten Mind Probes, you can check if an alien has any TUs left before firing.
>>
File: 1451146989459.jpg (324KB, 1740x580px) Image search: [Google]
1451146989459.jpg
324KB, 1740x580px
>>
>>3207053
Lobstermen aren't that hard to kill with Sonic Cannons. 2-3 shots will drop 'em.
>>
>>3206094
Sectopods are vulnerable to lazers, but the amount of damage you do is still shit, and it's just plain better to bring heavy plasma anyway.
>>
>>3207167
Heavy Plasma will sink Sectopods fast if you can hit them in the butt where they only have 40 armor.
>>
Cruise ship missions easier if you know the alien spawn locations - in the second part it also helps to know that aliens never spawn on the upper floor, so you can skip that part entirely.
>>
>seeing a gif you made reposted years later

IIRC Dwight went out in a blaze of glory on Cydonia with a blaster launcher after ending up in a storage room with a sectopod and a couple chryssalids.
>>
Differences in TFTD versus UFO:

*Unlike lasers, gauss weapons require ammo clips and you must manufacture them
*TFTD's terror ship (the Battleship) has a longer range weapon than the UFO terror ship and it also has more power (140 HP) meaning you cannot safely shoot them down without Sonic Oscillators
*The Dreadnought's weapon is weaker (120 HP) but has the same range as the UFO Battleship.
*You can now reserve TUs for kneeling
*Infiltration fleets in TFTD do not land - conversely this means that the only way to fight terror ships is by shooting them down (since they only appear on surface attack/infiltration missions)
*Doors can be opened (via right mouse button click) without walking through them or using TUs
*Grenades and Gas Cannon HE rounds are the only explosives that work on land missions
*Only Lobsterman officers allow you to beat the game unlike UFO where you could interrogate any alien officers to unlock Cydonia
*Aliens carry PWT launchers on large ships while in UFO they're only found on Battleships and alien bases
*More aliens can use psionics - Aquatoid technicians, navigators, and commanders, Gillman commanders, and Tasoth squad leaders
*Aquatoids and Gillmen do not unlock psionics; any live terrorist lets you research the MC Lab, but only a live Tasoth unlocks the MC Disruptor
*In UFO, if you grenade an unconscious alien, his body simply vanishes. In TFTD, the alien dies and his body is replaced by a corpse. Any gear he was carrying gets destroyed.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.