[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some franchises that were apparently big during 5th

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 12

File: tumblr_o1jxc2U2UX1ue6xipo1_1280.jpg (1MB, 1280x1600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1jxc2U2UX1ue6xipo1_1280.jpg
1MB, 1280x1600px
What are some franchises that were apparently big during 5th and earlier gens that failed to make it to 6th and later gens?

Stuff like Battle Arena Toshinden.
>>
>>3203874
I miss 90s Obari anime tiddies
>>
>>3203898
They are as disgusting as modern waifus.
>>
>>3203904
I agree but there is just something about his shitty over the top designs that I like.
>>
>>3203874
Toshinden was never really big. It's one selling point was that it was a 60fps 3D fighter on a home console. But it wasn't really all that good which is why Tekken, Soul Blade etc continued and it didn't.
>>
>>3203913
>60fps
Anon...
>>
>>3203913
It got hyped to hell and back but then nobody liked it that much.
>>
>>3203909
I think it's the high-cut leotards
>>
>>3203915
It's been many, many years but that was my memory of it's big draw then. Didn't Toshiden 2 have 2 modes? One with textures that ran at 30 and another with flat polys that ran at 60? I might be thinking of something else, but swear it was toshinden.
>>
>>3203947
That's right it was Toshinden 3.
>>
>>3203913
Toshinden's selling point was that it was a launch title.

>>3203947
Toshinden 3.
>>
Darkstalkers.
>>
>>3203960
>>3203963
Okay that was it. Yeah I know it being a launch title was part of the first one's deal. I mostly just remember reading about them in magazines and Gamefan mostly hyped the framerate. Only played the actual games a couple of times, don't care much for 3D fighters in general and it wasn't an exception.
>>
>>3203978
>don't care much for 3D fighters in general
You ain't missing much.
>>
>>3203995
I loved Bushido Blade, and have had some fun with a few of them. But overall, I far prefer 2D fighters for some reason. They just feel better to me.
>>
>>3203913
>>3203963
>Toshinden's selling point was that it looked less shitty than Virtua Fighter.
FTFY
>>
>>3204034
so how come VF 2 and 3's graphics aged better than any Toshinden game?
>>
>>3204067
None of those are Virtua Fighter 1.

Though even then VF1's low poly graphics look way more charming nowadays than Toshinden, which looks like one of those second-rate 3D fighters that sprung up in arcades during the mid 90's.
>>
>>3204067
Much stronger hardware? I don't think either looks bad.
>>
File: 1.png (380KB, 640x469px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
380KB, 640x469px
>>
File: 1.png (125KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
125KB, 640x448px
>>
>>3203913
>Toshinden was never really big.

It was fucking huge at the Playstation launch, and on par with Tekken until the sequels rolled out. Remember that Toshinden was something like the second ever PSX game while the first Tekken (that came out some months later) was a dogshit looking ballet simulator.

The problem with Toshinden was that they kept developing it backwards; the new characters were mostly shit, the changes they made to existing ones were awful, they never bothered fixing the controls, and they made the hitboxes wonkier and wonkier.

Toshinden 3 was at least still a great party game once you unlocked all the extra characters. You could have Catwoman fighting Michael Jackson and such, it was hilarious.

At least the music was consistently kick ass throughout the series.
>>
This thread is proof that no other genre was as flash-in-the-pan as fighting games. Of course it's FPS franchises that are hyped & forgotten now.
>>
>>3204067
Cause they were released on 10x and 20x stronger arcade hardware.

Also, their home ports ran in hi-res and didn't have polygon stuttering like Toshinden always did.
>>
File: 1.png (284KB, 640x462px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
284KB, 640x462px
You know what really sucks about toshinden? There are no character endings in these games! Just scrolling text!

Anyway Toshiden 4 Subaru Jap version is probably the best game in the series, and there was also a spiritual sequel on the Wii.
>>
File: naru.jpg (267KB, 417x655px) Image search: [Google]
naru.jpg
267KB, 417x655px
>>3204261
>>
>>3204205
Too true, without a dedicated cult of autists keeping these games alive through competitive play these games are just a waste of time and money. It's nothing but trash.
>>
>>3204203
It does work well as a party game since you can turn on beginner friendly crutches like one button specials and auto guard. Anyone can jump in and learn a character in a few minutes.
>>
>>3203874
Basically all of Hudson which could work very well in the current gen
>>
>>3204474
I thought Hudson doesn't exist anymore.
>>
>>3204492
absorbed into Konami so yeah basically dead
>>
File: 53211-Ridge_Racer_(J)-1.jpg (223KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
53211-Ridge_Racer_(J)-1.jpg
223KB, 1000x1000px
>>3203874
>>
>>3204520
;_;
At least it had a good run in the 6th gen.
>>
File: Gaia-armor.jpg (80KB, 468x478px) Image search: [Google]
Gaia-armor.jpg
80KB, 468x478px
>most badass blocking in fightan history
>>
>>3204520
Even today I still haven't bothered trying out Ridge Racer V, it looks so painfully generic. Someone please tell me what it's like and if it's any good. I played R Racing Evolution a few weeks ago and it was okay, only because the story gimmick and real race cars carried it.

>>3204534
But the thread is about how it didn't carry in 6th generation. The only way Ridge Racer was relevant during "sixth generation" were the surprisingly solid PSP games.
>>
>>3204261
>You know what really sucks about toshinden? There are no character endings in these games! Just scrolling text!

More rewarding endings kind of did not exist at the time. The game came out in 1994.
What I liked better though, is that if you beat the game normally, you just got a piece of text, and a demo of your desperation move. You had to beat the game in hard mode with no continues, and beat the secret final boss (who was as to the cast as shin akuma was to ryu and ken - had all their best moves, twice as fast, and with a double fireball). THEN you got your character ending! I've beaten it with all characters like that to get all endings.
Oh and then it also showed a demo of your secret ultra move, that you could then spam infinitely and make single player much easier.

>>3204292
Yeah, that was great. Even two complete beginners could do super moves battles, spam them back and forth and use the dodge button to jump out of the way. It was flashy as hell.
The desperation and ultra moves were also badass.

>>3204538
Haha yes, I don't remember too many other characters who blocked by leaving themselves open so they can tank the damage.

I think one of the guys in SF3 did it but I don't remember.

His specials were also insane. One of them shot a full size, 4 screen distance long pattern of bullets that kind of did half a lifebar damage if hit, but it had such a long windup that that it was impossible to not dodge it, the entire move was just for the show.

And his desperation move involved throwing a single fireball twice his own size.
I think he was also one of the three characters with a taunt (along with Sophia and Fo, Fo also had two super fart fireballs).
>>
>>3204583
>The game came out in 1994.
That was excusable for the first one, but all three sequels lacked endings. At least they made some anime stills in 4.
>>
File: daytona-usa-2001.378404.jpg (145KB, 407x400px) Image search: [Google]
daytona-usa-2001.378404.jpg
145KB, 407x400px
>>3204520
>>3204534
Ridge Racer V and RR 1/2 on the PSP were all solid games. The other games weren't bad either (sans the Vita one), although way too different to the classic series. So it's silly saying that RR didn't survive past 5th gen.

Daytona didn't make it past the Dreamcast.
>>
>>3204261
There's differences between the JP and PAL versions?
>>
>>3203943
That in combination with non digital coloring methods.
Modern anime art is sourly lacking that aesthetic.
>>
>>3204583
>More rewarding endings kind of did not exist at the time. The game came out in 1994.

Dude, even original Street Fighter II endings had more going on than Toshinden.
>>
Is Tekken still going strong today? Seems to me like it really peaked in popularity around Tag Tournament and then kind of fell off the face of the earth.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but back in the day Tekken 2 was a killer app for Playstation and everyone was hyped as shit/loved Tekken 3.
>>
>>3206050
You're wrong. I'd say Tekken is actually more popular now than it ever was.
>>
>>3205892
50hz.
>>
File: Dad goes in the volcano.webm (555KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Dad goes in the volcano.webm
555KB, 320x240px
>>3206052
Shit, well I'm out of touch. That's good to hear though, I devoted a big chunk of my life to Tekken Tag back in the day.
>>
>>3203874
I still play toshinden 2 occasionally.
I have the first 2 games and the gameboy game.
>>
>>3206050
>Is Tekken still going strong today?

It's the world's best-selling fighting game franchise and fans are chomping at the bit for the PS4 (and maybe Xbone?) release of Tekken 7.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.