[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why isn't pokemon fun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: 1439136786434.jpg (58KB, 525x503px) Image search: [Google]
1439136786434.jpg
58KB, 525x503px
why isn't pokemon fun
>>
>>3201745

Red, Blue, Gold, Silver, and Crystal were all fun as hell. I didn't care for yellow though.
>>
>>3201745
Because you are not playing Gen 1
>>
>>3201745
Because you have no friends.
>>
>>3201757
This is true

how do I change this
>>
>>3201759
Don't act like such a cunt to everyone you meet.
>>
>>3201759

Go outside, go to the bar, go to work, go literally anywhere you're bound to interact with anyone not from 4chan and you should meet some cool dudes and chicks.
>>
>>3201763
I don't try to act like a cunt, I was born with a bitch face

>>3201768
everyone in uni is a beta nu-male or landwhale
>>
>>3201772

I'm sure most are, but there's bound to be some who aren't. People can be quite surprising once you get past the facade.

If you can't meet any friends at uni, go hit your local bars, or just get out and do shit in general.
>>
>>3201772
Just because you look like a bag of dicks doesn't mean that's how you have to act. That's the point.

>everyone in uni is a beta nu-male or landwhale
But you will probably never understand that. Enjoy your lonely life of 1ccing arcade games.
>>
>>3201745
Because grinding/RNG-collecting.
As long as you take Pokemon casually and just play it, you will have fun.
If you want to catch'em all, though, you're gonna have a bad time.

>>3201749
It's funny, but I still find the original Crystal more fun than any other game in the franchise, even the modern ones. It's not overly bloated, despite having a lot of content, and it just has its charm, I guess.

>>3201757
Playing multiplayer Pokemon is pretty boring, though. Like, yeah, it's better than playing than NPCs, but, honestly, I don't feel like battles are that interesting in Pokemon.
>>
>>3201778
the problem is that I have too much pride and I'm arrogant

it's just something I can't control

sorry for making fun of pokemon
>>
>>3201790
>the problem is that I have too much pride and I'm arrogant

Well that's two of them

>it's just something I can't control

So you should add weakness and lack of will to that.

>sorry for making fun of pokemon

lol I couldn't care less what you think of Pokemon.
>>
>>3201745
Because you have grown up.
>>
>>3201745
Because it's a turn-based JRPG.

That genre is and never was good.
>>
File: 1448807181913.png (123KB, 375x243px) Image search: [Google]
1448807181913.png
123KB, 375x243px
>>3201756
I know this is /vr/ and we have to hate non-retro games on principle, but at least say Gen 2.
>>
>>3201794
very true, but life could be much worse

should just be glad that I'm not starving
>>
I feel like I'm reading /r9k/
>>
It is fun. It just takes a lot of time so I don't play the newer ones to focus on my retro backlog, but if I had all the time in the world I'd play every single Pokemon game, they're mad fun especially if you have friends who also play.
>>
>>3201803
Gen 2 was shit, some of the worst new Pokes created (especially the baby ones) and they totally ruined Kanto.
>>
File: 8nLFCVP.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
8nLFCVP.png
51KB, 657x527px
>>3201847
>I feel like I'm reading /r9k/

wUtz wR0ng wiT Th-tH-THTH-at
>>
>>3201868
Everything is funnier with friends, I guess that's the secret behind the success of the series.
>>
>>3201873

In the particular case of Pokemon, it really is funner with friends because of the whole trading aspect, as well as the battles.

Anyway I'd play them even if it was just single player, they're still fun.
>>
>>3201873
Pretty much. It took the RPG genre and then added an actual reason to grind for a more powerful/better built party to beat your friends with.
>>
>>3201870
I like a lot of Johtomons. Kanto was indeed neutered, but the bugfixes, new moves, mechanics like breeding, prettier graphics, etc., make it overall a much better game.
>>
>>3201783

Agreed, Crystal is my personal favorite.
>>
Because you were probably already too old when the Pokemon craze started. That's at least what happened to me.
>>
>>3201905
I find there's a middle range age where people didn't like it. I was in college when Gen 2 came out and it was massive there.
>>
>>3201870
Gen 2 had some of the best pokémon, it also fixed a bunch of things from Gen 1 (not that Gen 1 isn't a dear part of my childhood, but it was rough around the edges).

Gen 3 was always my fav tho

>>3201871
/r9k/ should be gassed.
>>
>>3202046
>i didnt think this trough
Then the shitposting frogposting scum that survive will come here.
>>
Gen 2 > Gen 3 > Gen 1 > Gen 5 > Gen 4 > Gen 6
>>
File: 1462858538247.jpg (59KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
1462858538247.jpg
59KB, 655x527px
>>3202046
>/r9k/ should be gassed.
>>
>>3201759
>how do I change this
Don't. People just aren't worth it.
>>
>>3203365
This, except Gen 5 = Gen 4 imo
>>
>>3201745
Smoke weed. Seriously, weed makes pokemon like an adventure to me again. I feel like my 8 year old self playing once more.
>>
>>3201745
it's basically just pressing buttons
>>
>>3203365
Gen 4 > Gen 5 > Gen 3 > Gen 2 > Gen 1 >>> Gen 6
>>
>>3203827

Tried it with shrooms? The pokemon were talking to me once
>>
>>3203827
>>3203872
DUDE
>>
>>3203876

dude indeed.

Next time I'll probably try playing pokemon while tripping my balls off with phyllomedusa secretion
>>
It's a JRPG with no plot to speak of, no character development, minimal depth and not much called for in the single player mode, and whose sole appeal is "be obsessive and collect every party member you can". The shit was basically born to be a multimedia franchise loaded with toys, and it totally worked because it was marketed correctly. The only way to enjoy Pokemon now is nostalgia, weed, or a marketing degree.
>>
>>3203872
I fired up Red on my GBP during my first acid trip to try and "time travel" back to being a kid. It just felt really cold and artificial.

...I think that might've been what wrecked Pokemon for me. It's just not fun anymore. At least I have my precious memories.
>>
>>3203902

I never actually played Pokemon while tripping, but I once played Mother 2 on the Game Boy micro, the last part in the cave of the past + final boss, and the graphics looked like they were popping out of the screen. The background effects on that game were made with acid in mind no doubt (in fact, they were officially called "drug visuals" or something like that)
>>
>>3203896
The appeal was the strategy it offered in battling your friends. That's what made it more than just another JRPG. You have six slots to make a party out of hundreds of possibilities and then have to carefully select the moves you want on each one to make a cohesive team.

Then you pit that team, not against the dumb AI opponents in the game but against other real players who have been doing the same thing. There hadn't really been anything like that before, let alone anything as accessible as a Gameboy game. That was the success to why it blew up so massively and was popular all the way from kids to university students.

You can't just look at Pokemon in a vacuum and understand why it was the phenomenon it was.
>>
File: gen 7 starters.png (350KB, 1759x441px) Image search: [Google]
gen 7 starters.png
350KB, 1759x441px
So to those here who generally hate most new Pokémon designs, can I ask what you think about the Gen 7 starters they revealed this morning?
>>
>>3203908
I hear that, but it's just not true -- being with your FRIENDS is fun. Pokemon was just something to fill the time so that was possible. A lot of people toss around the idea that 'the game is more fun with friends'. Of course it is, Bubsy 3D is fun with friends. Everything can be fun with friends. And really, pokemon doesn't have the multiplayer aspect to be more fun. It's pretty obvious based on the available pokemon lists and the event-only pokemon why MP is even in there: it's there so you can encourage your friends to buy it, too, then play it enough to get shit for you.

Now I'm not saying I didn't enjoy Pokemon as a kid. I did. But when I look back at it, it's pretty clear I liked it because it gave me something to do with my friends, and because the (original) character design was fun. The only way to like Pokemon now that the hysteria is over is to be an obsessive type, which is why every Pokemon community is fucking filled with them.
>>
>>3203919
They are cute.
>>
>>3203919
I like the seal and the emo cat. the owl is a little dumb looking.
>>
>>3203919

I generally think the rounder designs they started doing since gen 3 look blander than the first gen that looked like tiny dinosaurs, but I like owls and I like cats. The owl is especially cute. Kinda makes me want to see their final evolution, probably first time since gen 2 that I've liked a starter (Totodile was my nigga)
>>
>>3203919
>I hear that, but it's just not true

Gen 2 came out when I was in college and the game as a massive phenomenon there. The cafeteria was always filled with groups of people playing. This was also when IVs and EVs were being discovered and figured out and that was talked about all the time.

Back then getting to the end game was all about building the most kickass team you could and then battle random people in the cafe or halls.
>>
>>3203919
The owl looks fine, and the seal looks fine. The cat's weird red line thing looks like they didn't know how to convey it was a fire type without just making it red.
>>
>>3203919
They're cute, but it continues my problems with Pokemon design these days. There are so many animals out there and things you could imagine, another owl, another cat and another seal feels lazy.
>>
>>3203907
I played that later that day too (on my SNES, you non-retro heathen), once I was coming down to help relax. I'm not sure why I can play the Mother games over and over again but any Pokemon game these days bore me to tears. Especially considering they share some of the same devs.
>>
File: 1462894448418.png (571KB, 900x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1462894448418.png
571KB, 900x1650px
>>3203938
While I see your point on the cat and seal, there are only two owl Pokémon lines including Rowlet.
>>
>>3203983
Yeah the owl isn't as bad, and at least all three are cute. Grass/flying is an interesting type too. I hope there's some good variation in the rest of the monsters they add.
>>
pokemon emerald was the last good mon game.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.