[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When was the golden age of Capcom? What went wrong after that?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

File: Tower_of_Doom_sales_flyer.png (296KB, 333x474px) Image search: [Google]
Tower_of_Doom_sales_flyer.png
296KB, 333x474px
When was the golden age of Capcom?

What went wrong after that?
>>
File: Image.jpg (1MB, 2772x1072px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
1MB, 2772x1072px
>inb4 "fuck u niggah marvel vs capcom 2 was gud as fuk!"

Yes it was good, but looked like ass.

ASS

Kinda glad Capcom managed to embrace 3D, because they clearly had no idea where to go with 2D.
>>
>When was the golden age of Capcom?
NES Era
>What went wrong after that?
Money took over. That's how all golden ages end.
>>
90s Disney platformer era was the best state of Capcom
>>
>>3201187
I think their golden age is still going strong. They're one of the few old game companies that's stayed close to it's roots.
>>
>>3201283
Are you serious??!
Present Capcom is fucking DEAD
>>
>>3201286
The release of SFV is a bit of a clusterfuck because of the timing, but they're recover because the core game is solid. Street Fighter is one of the most consistent series in all of video gaming. I'll take Capcom's journey into the future over Konami's any day.
>>
File: 13552153462454.gif (3MB, 235x131px) Image search: [Google]
13552153462454.gif
3MB, 235x131px
>>3201286
>>
>>3201306
There are like 200 Megaman games, including 10 in the main series

Why are Megaman fans such crybabies
>>
>>3201306
oh yeah capcom killed megaman and raped my childhood and there's so few megman games fuck you capcom
>>
>>3201310
Because Capcom killed their series.
>>
>>3201303
>Street Fighter is one of the most consistent series in all of video gaming.
what an odd thing to say
>>
File: pained-buttocks.gif (29KB, 540x410px) Image search: [Google]
pained-buttocks.gif
29KB, 540x410px
>>3201303
I really thought people would be way more upset about Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat actually using the same game engine, but the only issues and controversies I can think of right now are mostly of a... Social nature
>>
>>3201310
For me, it's more how everything played out. We had Legends 3, Universe and Online announced and awaiting release, then all three got canceled at around the same time with little more than "you clearly didn't want it enough" as the reason. Then follow that with about six years of silence.

I'm not saying other series haven't had it worse Darkstalkers aren't dead, but it still fucking hurts.
>>
>>3201323
>I'm not saying other series haven't had it worse
Name a series that's had it better. Super Mario Bros? That's about all I got.
>>
File: MH4U-Image_001.jpg (1MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
MH4U-Image_001.jpg
1MB, 1200x900px
>>3201318
>>3201321
I can't think of too many franchises that have changed as little as SF over the years. On top of that they still make some new games I think are fantastic as well.

I certainly don't like everything they've done, but overall I like their approach.
>>
>>3201303
The only real difference between Capcom and Konami is no Capcom whistleblower uncovering corporate bullshit tho; dollars to Duck-Tales-2-in-sealed-box's it's the same with all big companies
>>
File: MoF-Game.jpg (17KB, 250x222px) Image search: [Google]
MoF-Game.jpg
17KB, 250x222px
>>3201330
Take a look at Street Fighters IV and V and then take a look at what Konami has been shitting out. Even if you don't like newer SF as much as 2 or Alpha, at least it's a heck of a lot closer to it's roots than garbage like what Castlevania has become.
>>
>>3201356
Oh look, It's Whip of War, the sidescroller!
>>
>>3201361
No exaggeration at all, one of the truly worst games I have ever played.
>>
File: 012.jpg (91KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
012.jpg
91KB, 640x640px
>>3201187
>What went wrong after that?
Capcom stopped using their own proprietary hardware and began relying on consolized platforms like NAOMI (see>>3201228).
>>3201232
NES-era Capcom is a bit overrated, unless you really like Mega Man and Disney platformers.
>>
>>3201321
We may live to see the day when MK is a more polished and legitimately good game than SF, fun times.
>>
>>3201365
Not this shit again.
>>
File: rygar5558c34b2cffb.jpg (68KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
rygar5558c34b2cffb.jpg
68KB, 640x480px
>>3201518
>>3201365
The Rygar remake predates and was an inspiration for both.
>>
>>3201505

Disney or not, some of those games were a lot of fun as is. Hell, I'm sure a lot of people would have played, say, Rescue Rangers, even if it had NOT been a Disney license.

Sure, LESS people (Disney was a big draw and all), but still. Capcom platformers back then were solid.

>>3201228

>because they clearly had no idea where to go with 2D

I'd say they should have stuck with 2D, but then we wouldn't have Resident Evil and Dino Crisis.

....but then we ALSO wouldn't have all of those Resident Evil games after Nemesis and Code Veronica....so I'm quite torn on this line of thought.
>>
>>3201232
>NES era
>Megaman shit
>Disney shit
AAAAAAAND NOTHING ELSE
Capcom was better even on PS3/360/Wii
>>
>>3201543

>implying playing a faux-interactive movie is actually considered gameplay (see: Asura's Wrath)
>>
>>3201550
>Lost planet
>Dead rising
>Dragon's dogma
>>
File: 1333548559262.gif (361KB, 174x172px) Image search: [Google]
1333548559262.gif
361KB, 174x172px
>>3201550
Nice cherry picking.
>>
>>3201361
Delete it all you want, it's a fact that Lament of Innocence was released years before God of War and was the closest PS2 game analogue for it, not the other way around.
>>
>>3201228
This, CPS era was best Capcom, there are still some decent Naomi stuff though
>>
>>3201567
For reals Rygar is even more like God of War than LoI was.
>>
>>3201567
They have nothing in common other than being 3D action games, retard. You might as well call LoI a ripoff of Shadows Of The Empire.
>>
Imo 1988-1999 the cps 1 had so many good games besides SF II like Strider, Forgotten worlds, Dinosaurs and Cadillacs and Three Wonders and the start of their major success.
>>
Obviously I'm the only Ghouls and Ghosts fan then.
Both companies are fucking dead though and it's upsetting to say it, how did the fuck up Vania so bad man. I thought it would have went in a route similar to Dark Souls, but they dropped the ball.
>>
>>3201323
Here's the thing. Capcom has always been averse to risk. Legends 3 was shit canned because of lack of interest. Capcom believe it or not actually focus tests this. Long story short, megaman was given a chance, no one bought powered up. No one bought maverick hunter. The consumers did not buy the games.
>>
>>3201736
CPS1 is 88-95. And they are 3 cps machines. CPS1, DASH and the CPSystem which was capcom's own supergun.
>>
>>3203556
>no one bought remakes on the handheld everyone bought just to pirate every game on it
What a shocker.
>>
Capcom was only good for GNG and their fighters/belt scrollers. Everything else was trash. Especially Megaman. Fuck that overrated faggot.
>>
It's not retro, but Monster Hunter seriously is one of the best action franchises of all time. It's basically a whole game built around super intense boss fights. Tons of weapons that control differently. a very high skill ceiling with a
good steep learning curve.

It's amazing in both single player and multiplayer and has both free online and plenty of DLC special quests and items that are also free. In terms of video game companies, especially Japanese ones, Capcom really is one of the better ones left.
>>
>>3203556

>no one bought powered up
>no one bought maverick hunter

I'm sure gamers didn't want a faux 3D Megaman remakes when they already had the older, better looking, better playing originals.

I know I didn't want remakes.

I would have rather have had new/continuations of the franchises that I enjoy. See: Orignal Megaman, Megaman X (excluding that shitty mobile game attempt)

So, a bit of curiosity: after everyone went and bought both Megaman 9 AND Megaman 10, how exactly is that considered "a legitimate lack of interest"?

Shit, didn't people also download that game "Megaman vs. Street Fighter", because Megaman?

Not trying to stir shit up, just genuinely curious.
>>
>>3201187
90s arcade
>>
>>3201323
>"you clearly didn't want it enough"
such a bullshit excuse.
>>
>>3203527
>how did the fuck up Vania so bad man. I thought it would have went in a route similar to Dark Souls, but they dropped the ball.
Konami closed down most of their in-house studios (except for KojiPro) during seventh gen and ended up doing a lot of outsourcing as a result. Hence all those shitty Silent Hill sequels after 4 and God of Vania.
>>
>>3204032
>God of Vania.
Still miles better than the crap IGA was shitting out on portables
>Silent Hill sequels
Not bad either
>>
>>3204035
Not him and haven't played more than 10 minutes of the other LoS games. But the 3DS one >>3201356 is miles worse than every Igavania.
>>
>>3204035
Are you me?
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.