[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was the SNES backwards compatible with the NES?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: snes.jpg (49KB, 540x287px) Image search: [Google]
snes.jpg
49KB, 540x287px
Why was the SNES backwards compatible with the NES?
>>
It wasn't. Probably done to keep hardware costs within reason.
>>
>>3194146
Dont you mean why wasnt it?
>>
Because backwards compatibility is for the foolish goyim who doesn't think about making money.
>>
Nintendo wanted to make it backwards compatible, but they found out it would make the system very expensive.
>>
>>3194146
i dunno why did your parents drop you?
>>
Anyone who would have the most to benefit from compatibility probably already had a nes or famicom already.
And the AV upgrade is much more pronounced than that of the mastersystem>megadrive, which probably influenced their decision somewhat. remember this is the company that has mostly stayed away from cd audio and dvd video support when just about everything else is expected to have it
>>
>>3194446
>when just about everything else is expected to have it
what? why? discs were, and still are, a very bad idea for games
>>
The processor still has a 6502 mode, but even so, fully implementing true backwards compatibility would be extremely expensive
>>
>>3194453
This.

The PC Enhine/Turbografx-16 could have played NES games pretty easily though and many NES roms have been fan ported to be able to run on it, some even with expanded palettes
>>
>>3194446
And fanboys like >>3194450 are still making excuses for them.
>>
>>3194889
the only nintendo systems I owned are a GBC and a DS. I just have a brain to think, and understand how crucial speedy random access is, how far more crucial it is than being able to play back some audio, or a video
>>
>>3195302
>I have a brain to think
Think about the actual reason portables don't use CDs and DVDs then, Genius.
>>
>>3195310
access time, durability, and the lack of space issues due to smaller display, simpler sound system and different style of gameplay
>>
>>3195319
same reasons as for a living room console. Just a bit more pronounced. Ever since we got a disc drive in the consoles, gaming went to shit. Linear FMV shits, "cinematic experience", very little actual game. PS, PS2 and even PS3 fucked over generations of gamers. Because that's all a disc can do. Play back something linearly.
It was less bad on PC, because the disc was quickly recognized as being useless for gaming, and there was a harddisk available to fall back on. So must games just used the disc as a delivery mechanism, instead of trying to play from it. Consoles recently tried to the same, but with network delivery gaining, the disc's even more useless again, just for a different reason.
>>
File: NES-101-Console-Set.jpg (1MB, 3920x2120px) Image search: [Google]
NES-101-Console-Set.jpg
1MB, 3920x2120px
I distinctly remember that the NES was still marketed and developed for through the entirety of the SNES's lifespan.

This little bastard was $49.99 new, and the SNES was 200 bucks
>>
>>3195319
>>3195328
>I am this retarded
>>
>>3195319
Damn boy. That was a real easy question and you just done gone and blowed it.
>>
File: foghorn leghorn.png (2KB, 184x188px) Image search: [Google]
foghorn leghorn.png
2KB, 184x188px
>>3195573
I say, I say this boy's about as sharp as a sack of wet mice.
>>
I'm glad it wasn't. Backwards compatibility really drives up the prices on some old games, and they're expensive enough as it is.
>>
>>3194167
It was only a extra 25 bucks for the PPU, CPU was able to run 70% of the sound hardware and if more time was put into it it would of been 100%.

It's why the SNES' CPU has a 1.79MHz mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHPgbuM3Yo8
>>
>>3194161
Companies don't lose with backward compatibility they were already done making money with the old system.
>>
>>3195328
Hard drive = a disk
>>
>>3196524
discs and disks, learn the difference
>>
>>3194146
ironically the controllers ARE backwards compatible. all you've gotta do is whip up a snes-nes adapter to plug in the snes controller and it works on nes.
>>
>>3195328
It's like some third world nintendo fan doing his regurgitation of shit he saw on /v/. Funny stuff.
>>
>>3196586
>literally ironically
>>
>>3198327
>>3195328
>Consoles recently tried to the same, but with network delivery gaining, the disc's even more useless again, just for a different reason.

I don't remember installs being a day 1 thing, and originally they only had some of the game data, while all the space waster junk (audio, video) was streamed. The rest is just consoles repeating what computers did long ago, reducing the disc to a delivery mechanism, because that's about all it's good for
>>
File: SAM_2345.jpg (190KB, 1600x1065px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2345.jpg
190KB, 1600x1065px
This works very good.
>>
>>3198336
I don't know why you keep going on about non vr systems. Also cds/dvds are just data storage devices just like cartridges.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.