[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

N64 recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

File: images.jpg (6KB, 334x151px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 334x151px
Arcadefag here. Never had a N64, are there any good arcade ports for it? All I can see to find are Midway games. Any arcade-like games for it maybe?
>>
>>3193062
Sin & Punishment for arcade-like?
>>
bangai-oh
sin and punishment
killer instinct gold
star soldier 64
aero fighters assault (kind of like ace combat)
fighter's destiny
battle tanx
rampage world tour
tetrisphere
>>
Ridge Racer 64
Cruisn' World
Excitebike 64
F-Zero
Starfox 64
Extreme G
San Francisco Rush
>>
From Google:

Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
Cruis'n series
Gauntlet Legends
Hydro Thunder
Mace: The Dark Age
Mortal Kombat 4
NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC
Rampage World Tour
San Francisco Rush
San Francisco Rush 2049
War Gods
Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey

The only one I've ever actually played was NBA Showtime, which I would describe as "NBA Jam, but 3D", and is pretty solid for a sports game.
>>
>>3193062
star fox 64 and Sin and Punishment are great games with arcade gameplay, rail shooters.
both are in the wii virtual console
>>
>>3193062
Bust-a-Move 2
>>
>>3193074
Add Wave Race to those driving games, too.
>>
>N64
>arcade games
ayyyy lmao

get a saturn or psx, my nigger
>>
>>3193112
What if OP already has Saturn or PSX?
>>
>>3193062
Mario Tennis?
>>
>>3193062
-Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
-Ready 2 Rumble Boxing 2
>>
>>3193062
You're better off with the Saturn and PS1. N64 was the worst 5th gen console
>>
>>3193214
No PS1 breaks too easily and Saturn only has games in Japan.
>>
>>3193226
>Saturn only has games in Japan
Not relevant as complaint anymore
>>
>>3193235
It never was. EB Games sold Saturn imports back in the day.
>>
>>3193226
>No PS1 breaks too easily
Get a PSone model or a PS2 slim then faggot

>Saturn only has games in Japan.
Not an issue anymore faggot. Get a Saturn and mod it to play imports.

With those systems you'll have a 5th gen library that has 100 times the variety in game than the N64 ever did.
>>
Robotron 64 is a pretty fun game you'd like
>>
>>3193070
>bangai-oh

>>3193075
>San Francisco Rush 2049

>>3193171
>-Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
>-Ready 2 Rumble Boxing 2

Why are you faggots recommending inferior ports?
>>
>>3193291
How can a game like Bangai-Oh be an "inferior port" when its the original version?
>>
>>3193282
>With those systems you'll have a 5th gen library that has 100 times the variety in game than the N64 ever did.

And with all 3 consoles you'll habe the real complete 5th gen library. If you miss on games like Sin and Punishment or Wave Race 64 because of a hateboner for the system or Nintendo, you're retarded.

>>3193291
Bangai-O is not a port, the N64 version is the original version and has a lot of different traits that were changed on the DC version. Also, the game controls much better with the N64 controller.
Both versions are good though, but the N64 has a more challenging/rewarding game system. Definitely not "inferior", if you like Bangai-O ,you want to play both versions. Probably it's better to play it on DC first though (as it's also in english and the dialogue is hilarious), but then you want to play the N64 for a better challenge/better controls.
>>
>>3193296
>>3193297
I'll give you fags that Bangai-oh is decent on N64, but I don't expect OP to lose sleep over playing the more acquirable DC version.

But Ready 2 Rumble and Rush 2049? Those games were objectively better on Dreamcast, and had more gameplay modes to boot.

N64 was not a home to noteworthy arcade ports.
>>
>>3193296
Because the superior version is out now. You have no reason to play the N64 version since it got deprecated 3 months later.
>>
>>3193062
Trade it for a Saturn and get the arcade ports on that
>>
confirmed none of these fucking idiots ever owned an n64

Starfox 64
Jet Force Gemini
Goldeneye 007
Perfect dark
Smash Bros
Mario Kart
OOT/MM
Excite Bike
NFL quarterback club '96

BAM
>>
Hijacking OP, PS1fag here, is it worth owning an N64? I'm thinking about picking one up and just emulating my other consoles but on the fence about it.
>>
>>3193312
Uh...it was pretty good for 3D platformers and multiplayer games.

Arcade game, no. Like said by other people get Saturn for arcade games.
>>
File: 2c1bXDm.jpg (106KB, 800x303px) Image search: [Google]
2c1bXDm.jpg
106KB, 800x303px
tbqh op if your interest is in arcade games, a saturn with pseudosaturn and a decent stick (pic related if you are crazy rich) is probably the better way to go. sega's stuff is usually the way to go for arcade ports, nintendo is more console stuff. good stuff either way, but you're probably not gonna find much in that genre on the 64.
>>
>>3193305

It has a few exclusive ports from Midway, Off-Road Challenge comes to mind.
Anyway I guess people were recommending general arcade-like games not just ports.

>>3193306
What "superior version"? Missile Fury on Xbox? That's like a whole different game than both N64 and DC versions, and I wouldn't say it's superior either.

>>3193312
If it has games you want to play, yes. N64 emulation sucks.
>>
>>3193314
What about for the other stuff? FPS, the Zelda games, fighting, etc?
>>
>>3193312
not really, it's kind of one of the weaker platforms of that generation, library wise anyway. prices are kind of high now too, unless you can find one at a garage sale (i just grabbed one for 5 the other day) it's probably not really worth it. if you haven't played mario 64 before though, it's hard not to recommend it.
>>
>>3193319
Good for FPS and bad for fighting.

Has 2 Zelda games, OOT is one of the more popular Zelda games but personally I like Majoras Mask more.
>>
>>3193310
>confirmed none of these fucking idiots ever owned an n64

Confirmed illiterate nigger who didn't read OP

>are there any good arcade ports for it? All I can see to find are Midway games. Any arcade-like games for it maybe?

Everyone knows about the same handful of aged 3D platforming collectathons and FPSes. If your into clunky controls in games that were better on PC or got more playable in the 6th gen, sure, you'll be right at home.

>>3193312
If you're into platformers with wonkey camera control, blurry video output, and FPSes that move t 10 frames a second, you'll be right at home.

If you want game variety, go for a PS1 or even a Saturn.

>>3193319
>FPS
Perfect Dark is literally the only one worth playing, mainly based on the amount of modes it has.

>the Zelda games
Some people still like them, I think they're worse than the 2D Zeldas and have aged horribly, but that's another argument for another day.

>fighting
lol nope
>>
why do you people assume OP doesn't have a PS1 and a Saturn? Maybe he want to .... oh nevermind, OP was probably baiting and his intention was to make a 5th gen console war thread.
>>
>>3193319
>FPS
if you like old pc style fps games, the saturn has some great ones. powerslave is up there with doom and duke imo.
>the Zelda games
worth playing, but there are modern ports that are probably easier and cheaper to get. plus the vaseline filter hasn't held up too well. there are some pretty good arpg games on the saturn too if that's your thing.
>fighting
saturn fighting games are top notch, and the controller is great for them.

nintendo had the market cornered on 3d platformers though.
>>
>>3193306
Nah it's up to opinion, some people prefer the mechanics on the N64 version, some prefer DC. Both are worth trying.
>>
>>3193318
He was referring to the Dreamcast game, which is an enhanced remake of the N64 game with better gameplay balance tweaks.
>>
>>3193346
>better gameplay balance tweaks.

Why better? it makes the game easier, but I wouldn't call it better.
Anyway, both versions are worth playing if you like Bangai-O.
>>
>>3193319
>fighting
Flying Dragon and Fighter's Destiny are kinda wonky games that are so unique I can't help but love them very much. There's nothing quite like them anywhere else.

There are a bunch of western style fighters, bunch of WWE and wrestling games, Mace The Dark Age, Dark Rift, Bio Freaks, MK4 and MK Trilogy, War Gods. Nothing great but it's not as bad as it seems.
>>
>>3193356
N64 almost got a port of DOA. I wonder how that would have turned out?
>>
File: SRS.jpg (170KB, 640x884px) Image search: [Google]
SRS.jpg
170KB, 640x884px
>>3193356

Many of the best WWE games were made by a japanese developer, AKI. They got a WWF reskin for the western releases but they were originally for japanese pro-wes.

There is also Super Robot Spirits, I think this was the only fighting game on the SRW franchise.
It's a 3D fighter and it's not VF2 or Tekken but it's pretty decent. Probably more impressive graphically back then than now, but the models are pretty good, backgrounds are kind of dull though. Music is good (classic themes, can't go wrong)
>>
So basically the N64 is a piece of shit and not worth owning. Gotcha.
>>
File: sin-and-punishment.jpg (48KB, 399x330px) Image search: [Google]
sin-and-punishment.jpg
48KB, 399x330px
>>3193497

your meme will never be real
>>
>>3193062
Oh look, that controller has a cord length as if Sega made it.
>>
>>3193312
N64 was the multiplayer console of the three. Great for social gatherings like a gaming club.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 220x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 220x194px
How bout this
>>
>>3193715

There's also a Namco museum
>>
>>3193718
But are either of them any good
>>
>>3193843
namco musem is better on playstation
>>
>>3193848

What's the difference? I think Namco did more of these on PS1 though, I think n64 only got 1 release, but I don't think the actual ports are different between consoles, are they?

At the very least I'd assume N64 doesn't have loading times, so there's that.
>>
>>3193062
Racing games - Wave Race 64, Mario Kart 64, F-Zero
Fighting games - Killer Instinct Gold, Mace the Dark Age, MK Trilogy (missing characters but has exclusive content)
Beat em up - would the Spider-Man game count?
Shooter - Star Fox 64, Sin & Punishment
>>
File: Enlightenment.jpg (231KB, 482x611px) Image search: [Google]
Enlightenment.jpg
231KB, 482x611px
>>3193226

>PS1 breaks too easily

Not trying to shitpost but I have never had a problem with my playstations breaking. I still have the very first one I bought. Is this an actual problem?
>>
>>3194671
My consoles never broke on me either....
>>
File: ps1upside.png (639KB, 600x428px) Image search: [Google]
ps1upside.png
639KB, 600x428px
>>3194671
>>3194679

You were lucky, or had an older model, but the early PS1 models are known for having lenses that might break easily, it happened to me.
Pic related was also common for a lot of people.

I don't mind because I have a PS2 slim now and I can use my PS1 pads on it if I want.
>>
Mace is an exclusive fighter.
>>
>>3194650
Spider-Man felt more like a platformer.
>>
>>3195417
...Fighting Force 64?
>>
>>3195452
Crap game
>>
>>3194690
Can PS2 slim swap to burned PS1 discs without any solder solutions? I have FreeMcBoot and that's it.
>>
Mario 64, Majora's Mask, Star Fox 64, Goemon's Great Adventure, Mischief Makers, Ogre Battle 64, F-Zero X, Waverace,
>>
>>3198248
>Ogre Battle 64
>Arcade-like
>>
Mischief Makers might interest you

>started OoT, tilted the cartridge, ran straight into hyrule field without a sword, now I'm in dodongo's cavern smacking shit with deku sticks

>Saria is still waiting outside Link's house because I never talked to her
>even though she's in sacred forest meadow
>schrodinger's saria
>>
>>3197732
There's a trick that involves hot-swapping a legit PS1 game with a burned copy while the the PS2 thinks that disc tray is still "closed".

Since you have FreeMcBoot there's an .ELF app that should allow you boot burned PS1 games, I don't remember the name though.
>>
>>3200560
I remember that one elf too but for sure it's played via the PS1 hardware right? I'm currently playing them on my slim using emulation and it's bad.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.