[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your relationship with the original Super Mario Bros. 2?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: SMB2.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
SMB2.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
What is your relationship with the original Super Mario Bros. 2?
>>
>>3191282
I thought Birdo was scary as a kid. Who would they would turn her into a Yoshi-type of character
>>
>>3191282
I bought it for the fds a couple years back. Pretty fun
>>
>>3191282

Beat the all-stars version once or twice, never cared for since it's just like all those shitty romhacks that try to make a game too frustrating for its own good.

Having a mechanic that actually punishes you for playing the game (ie. using a warp pipe) is not just stupid but also a spit in the fact to anyone who plays it.
>>
Never even tried to finish it 'cause of the difficulty as a kid. Now I'm semi tempted to give it a go
>>
I couldnt open the first door of the beginning of the game
>>
>>3191282
I'd missed out on the entire NES generation, more or less, except getting to play it at friends' occasionally. So my first experience with 3/4 of Super Mario All-Stars was brand new. I think I enjoy Doki Doki Panic more, but it was pretty interesting to have the extra levels.

I took a long time to get to world 9.
>>
>it's an 'everybody misread the title' thread
>>
>>3191345
oops
>>
>>3191282
it went nowhere, we had to divorce
>>
>>3191303
Thing that people have to remember is that game design was a completely novel field back then. Which is also the reason for stuff like some weird decisions in Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest, or the fact that early jrpgs were grindfests.
>>
>>3191303
>Beat the all-stars version once or twice, never cared for since it's just like all those shitty romhacks that try to make a game too frustrating for its own good.
Completely agree. I thought it resembled a romhack too much for it's own good as well.
>>3191482
That doesn't excuse the fact that it's shit. I wouldn't tell someone "Play Lost Levels if you want a well designed game; sure the level design was shit but a lot of games were too back then!"

No.
>>
>>3191282
i have a really good reproduction of it (it was built from scratch, don't worry)

its fun
>>
>>3191282
Got it free with a pre-order of some game for the 3DS
It's not comfortable to play anything on the 3DS that needs the d-pad so it really hampers how I enjoy it
confession: I never beat SMB
>>
>>3191702
>confession: I never beat SMB
get out
>>
the different physics in SMB Deluxe for the gameboy color ruined me to this game and SMB.
>>
>>3191282
picked it up several years ago. after hundreds of game overs finally beat the whole thing. never ever going to play it again
>>
>>3191291
Wrong Mario 2.
>>
I'm playing through as Luigi, currently. Its difficult, but not too much that it makes me not want to play anymore. I hated world 3-2 though.
>>
>>3191282
To all those saying its too difficult, I think its easier to beat than 1 because in SMB All-Stars you have unlimited continues. You dont in the 3DS download, but it does have a savestate
The hardest part is to not warp by accident so you can get world 9, or beat it with Mario
>>
>>3191282
Had to buy an SNES just so I could play that sweet science with my free copy of All-Stars. Completed all levels. Achieved infinite lives on the first level since it's easy as balls. Mastered the trick where you can jump into a pit to grab a mushroom and jump back out of it.
>>
File: 112695748027727.jpg (52KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
112695748027727.jpg
52KB, 500x500px
It's a game I secretly admire and am humbled by, because I appreciate the subtleties in level design. I can only legit make it to level 5 without warps (I think ~level 5, because I remember the particular level literally traps you against this huge wall that you had to jump over secret blocks that Mario can't do alone.) I'm determined to beat it, with the star levels too, someday.

>>3191702
>It's not comfortable to play anything on the 3DS that needs the d-pad so it really hampers how I enjoy it

Agreed, it's atrocious to play on a 3DS. I regret not getting it on the Wii U. Might as well emulate it since I already wasted money.

>confession: I never beat SMB
It's really not that hard.
>>
>>3191282
Beat it with infinite lives on Mario All Stars and again on the DX version on the game boy color. Never saw the point of doing it in one credit.
>>
>>3192496
World 9 is just a bunch of garbled palette tiles with water physics anyway, and you only have one life. It's not particularly worth it.
>>
>>3192534
Its worth it
Every level is worth playing
>>
Took me weeks to beat it, 1-9 and A-D as both Mario and Luigi, no continues. It might be the best Mario game, honestly. The level design is absolute perfection. There are parts with an I Wanna Be the Guy feel, where it's just so overtly hostile you can't help but laugh. And there are also so many subtle block placements that make things much more difficult than they look.

Most hard NES games the 1CC is mostly a matter of memorization, but learning SMB2J is a truly rewarding, sublime experience.
>>
>>3192545
It's just world 5 with garbled tiles and water physics. It's a programmer easter egg referencing the minus world glitch in the japanese version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeQAsUI2deY
>>
I think it's brilliant. People give it flack for it being like a romhack, but I think that misses the point. The game constantly subverts the expectations you have from playing SMB. It teaches you early on that your typical Mario instincts won't fly here and that the game can and will throw ANYTHING at you.

A truly ingenious sequel.
>>
I've beaten the game through world 8 on Mario DX, but I've never had enough patience to beat the game 8 times to get to the bonus stages.
>>
Only ever beat it in All-Stars, but I don't consider that a legit way because it saves after every level.

People say it's like a ROM Hack but I think it's a good game on its own, just really tough. Tough, but ultimately fair. Git gud or git out
>>
>>3191291
Fucking casual
>>
>>3191291
>her
>>
File: 1453919123160.jpg (64KB, 599x577px) Image search: [Google]
1453919123160.jpg
64KB, 599x577px
>>3192578
>1:27

The fucking nerve. Even I wouldn't have figured and remembered that shit even after watching it on GameCenter CX.
>>
>>3191282

Beat the shit out of it, me and my friends like to take turns on death speed running it.
>>
>>3191282
Cant be bothered to beat it.
>>
>>3191282
i could beat 1-1, 1-2 and I think that was it. I preferred SMB3 because I could at least warp to different worlds and see what they were like, and they had gimmicks.
>>
>>3191282
I grew up with The Lost Levels as a hand-me-down from my grandpa's Super Mario All-Stars. I beat it when I was about 8 with my brother (Including World 9. our SRAM battery died so we had to keep the system on overnight throughout the weekend we played it). I have fond memories of buying SMDeluxe for the GBC (I think it was 2002 or something?) and came across a guy who told us about the "For Super Players" mode.

I also remember getting in this ridiculously dumb argument how it was originally called "The Lost Levels" and not "For Super Players". It's funny to look back and realize both sides of our argument were wrong.
>>
>>3191303
This post perfectly voiced both my experience and opinion.
>>
I wrote him, but he still ain't callin.
I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom.
>>
Beaten it many times, me and my friends like to speedrun it and hand off per death.

Easily my favorite Mario game.
>>
>>3191282
Never played it.
>>
File: shitdesign.png (10KB, 5232x240px) Image search: [Google]
shitdesign.png
10KB, 5232x240px
Worst level coming through
>>
>>3193546
I figured that out on my own at age 14, anon

though I had much experience with romhacks at the time, and this was not much different
>>
>>3191282
>relationship
I'm the step father of one of the brothers. His mom brought a retron with her when the moved in.
>>
File: 1459038340986.jpg (90KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1459038340986.jpg
90KB, 1280x720px
>>3191282
>that level where you have to time your jumps with the wind
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.