[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /vr/ feel about Yoshi's Story?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: yoshistory.png (517KB, 640x468px) Image search: [Google]
yoshistory.png
517KB, 640x468px
How does /vr/ feel about Yoshi's Story?
>>
The start of the decline of Yoshi games

It was ok but nowhere near as good as Yoshi's Island. After that everything went tumbling down
>>
>>3189745
Graphically one of my favorite games on N64

Gameplay-wise, a definite step down from Island. But still a little underrated
>>
Great looking game.
Above average gameplay.

It's the current eceleb opinion to hate the game and claim it's shit.
>>
It was the first game I owned so it has a special place in my heart.

Going back to it, it hasn't aged wonderfully. Mainly just little things, like you actually run faster if you tilt the control stick forward and diagonally up a bit instead of just forward. That weirdness really doesn't contribute to the game though, it's more like an obstacle. The timing for ground pounds can also be a little weird.

Overall I still think it's an entertaining game though. Sure it's piss easy but when I was 6 it was just the difficulty I needed it to be, and the melon challenge is fucking ridiculous if you actually try it. I do think that most people hate this game because they didn't spend enough time with it, a lot of people put it down after one playthrough, thinking there were only six levels.

I fully admit that Yoshi's Island is better though. However, I think the visuals in this game are fucking tight.
>>
>>3189745
Good. I like how they went arcade with the formula, though it did not help the game's popularity.

Cool graphic and fun child-like atmosphere. The biggest problem people have with it it's that it is the sequel to Yoshi Island.
>>
i liked yoshis island and really wanted to play this when it was new, but i ended up getting a psx instead of a 64 since playstations were cheaper.
>>
>>3189745
Good game, though it would be much better received if it didn't follow up Yoshi's Island. The biggest problems are the length of gameplay and easy difficulty.
>>
>>3189772
actually it has received negative reviews since its release.
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/yoshis-story-review/1900-2545546/

In fact most n64 games got negative reviews. I enjoyed it though.
>>
It was a rental title. I rented it and in the course of a single weekend I had beaten every possible stage and unlocked all the extra yoshis. The fact that Nintendo had it retail for anything more than $20 was criminal.
>>
>>3190034
Most magazines gave it above a 7/10.
>>
>>3190208
Sean baby doesn't count
>>
>>3189745
LOVE ITTTT

Pop up book aesthetic is king

>oh its too ez
FUCK OFF THEN. go play romhacks, faggots.
10/10. I showed them
>>
>>3189745
I feel like most people didn't get it. You see a slightly extended ending if you reach 30,000 points at the end. After that you can do full 30 melon runs which are quite difficult. That's the whole "point" of the game.
>>
Hint, if you're about to die, reset just before yoshi gets taken off and you will be able to restart the level without losing a life. Reset right after the score tally finishes counting your score and you will be able to skip the horrible singing after beating each level. Always use the black and white yoshis and always eat all the melons first to get your point multiplier going.
>>
>>3189856
>it hasn't aged wonderfully
How do any of the issues you proceeded to mention have anything to do with its age
>>
I loathed it when it was new, had such expectations for it.

>Yoshis new "retarded infant" voice and appearance
>annoying music and shit sound effects
>insultingly easy baby game
>graphics are of ok quality, but aesthetically just not my thing
1/10 then, ?/10 now. I haven't played it in over 15 years, so all I got to go on is my tremendous disappointment from back then.
>>
Mixed feelings, and level progression made me feel like I had less control in the game. Gameplay was fine, and it got nintendo hard from what I recall. Not my cup of tea, but can appreciate what it tried to do and understand why it appeals to others.
>>
My gateway game into gitting gud.
There was once a time where I'd game over even on the second world, but then I got going and got used to increasingly difficult games over the years since it's been out.
This is why I'm irked when people complain a game has too low an entry point. It's up to the player to keep raising the difficulty bar and improving.
>>
I'd class it as a "rainy Sunday afternoon" game
>>
>>3189745
Hate it
How can you make such a godly game as SMW2 and then make this shit
>>
File: YS_Melon.gif (11KB, 148x139px) Image search: [Google]
YS_Melon.gif
11KB, 148x139px
>>3190030
>The biggest problems are the length of gameplay and easy difficulty.
what was wrong with the length? are you one of the retards who think it's short because you just beat the required levels to get to the credits instead of getting 30 honeydew melons in every stage?
>>
It's the game that separates true vidya lovers from edgy eternal teenagers
>>
if an indie team made this game for the PC in the current year they would tack on a storyline and sell loads of copies on steam and receives hundreds of awards. sjws would call it the citizen's kane of video games and it would be known to pretentious douche circles for innovating 2d platformers by making them 3d in the modern era. so it's a 10/10 game according to critics if this was on the PC
>>
It was really fun game. It's easy to complete but there's loads of stuff you will miss out on if you do it like that.

I would have liked more courses, though. It does feel like they didn't put quite as much effort into it as they did with other titles.
>>
It was the perfect game to rent from the video store.
>>
>>3189745
Always liked it, was never quite sure why I wasn't supposed to
>>
I feel like the people who don't like this game played through 4 levels, saw the credits roll and screamed "that's it?!"

Sure, there aren't as many levels as there are in a normal platformer, but the levels are gigantic, memorable, and fun to explore. The visuals still look great, and it's a very challenging game if you go for all the melons. Lots of fun secrets to find, too.
>>
>>3191913
Maybe they should have spent more time creating levels instead of trying to artificially extend the length of a game they obviously didn't finish properly.
>>
File: Nico_Video_logo.png (137KB, 1000x990px) Image search: [Google]
Nico_Video_logo.png
137KB, 1000x990px
>>3192414
More like the opposite, they didn't artificially extend enough and the game became too short as a result.
>>
I could never beat the cloud long-hover-jump minigame.
>>
>>3191059
To be fair even if you go for a full melon run, which is frustratingly difficult, the game still feels anti-climatic without a big boss fight or unlockable at the end.
>>
File: yos9.jpg (50KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
yos9.jpg
50KB, 320x240px
Amazing to play high.

I could never complete any level with only melons.
>>
>>3192613
Watch a youtube video, most of them are buried underground and you have to uncover by sniffing with R.
>>
File: yoshi's story N64 wii.jpg (30KB, 608x457px) Image search: [Google]
yoshi's story N64 wii.jpg
30KB, 608x457px
>>3192635

I know, my problem is failing at the ones you only have 1 chance to get and if you fail you have to start over.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.