[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Wanna play Final Fantasy, Lufia, The 7th Saga, or Shin Megami

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 9

File: Psii_title.png (175KB, 960x672px) Image search: [Google]
Psii_title.png
175KB, 960x672px
>Wanna play Final Fantasy, Lufia, The 7th Saga, or Shin Megami Tensei?
>Don't have a SNES?
>Fuck you, you're getting Phantasy Star instead

So did people actually like this series back in the day, or is it just sour grapes due to the fact that the Genesis has no other RPG's?
>>
>>3188867
Look at the date in your picture and then look at the release date for any of those games on the SNES. There's your answer.

Also
>due to the fact that the Genesis has no other RPGs?
Beyond Oasis, Crusader of Centy, Warriors of the Eternal Sun, Arcus Odyssey, Fatal Labyrinth, Landstalker, Light Crusader, Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force, Shadowrun, Uncharted Waters, Sword of Vermillion, and (arguably) Ys III. It's not even close to the extensive SNES RPG library, yes, but also far from "no other RPG's".
>>
>>3188867
Phantasy Star IV alone is better than every SNES RPG.
>>
But there's SMT for the Mega CD.
>>
>>3188867
Thanks for telling us you don't know nothing about the Gennie.

The exit is that way.

Besides, who in their right mind would play that garbage if not out of curiosity?
Thank god people didn't have to wade through those snorefests, you could have chosen actually good SNES rpgs, but I guess you're just as ignorant regarding the SNES.
>>
>>3188886
>Final Fantasy
>snorefest

Hipster alert.
>>
File: ff2holy.png (3KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
ff2holy.png
3KB, 256x224px
>playing Final fantasy in 1989
nah I rather play PS2
>>
>>3188867
>see the title screen of PSII
>catch feelings even though I play it every year

I don't even know why. It wasn't my first, and it isn't my favorite either. But something about the music and minimalist aesthetics of the game are so endearing to me.

PSIII, too, but to a lesser extent. And even though PSIV is the best in the series, these earlier games captured something magical that was ultimately lost in PSIV.
>>
>>3188867
>lufia, shit megami tensei
Phantasy Star II and IV are way better games.
>>
>>3188989
Didn't even release outside of Japan until 1990. Also, scenario-wise, DQ2 was a way better game.
>>
>>3189182
Dragon Warrior 2 was released months after the US release of PS2.
>>
>>3189192
We're talking FF, here, pal.
>>
File: dndwarriorsoftheeternalsun.jpg (17KB, 200x282px) Image search: [Google]
dndwarriorsoftheeternalsun.jpg
17KB, 200x282px
>no other RPGs
Oh, hello, kids, meet a real RPG that kicked the living shit out of that JRPG trash.
>>
>>3189208
FF2 wasn't released in the US until 2003 and not in the form shown in >>3188989.
>>
>>3189218
>Playing licensed WRPGs
>>
>>3189243
Warriors of the Eternal Sun is fucking awesome.
>>
>>3189243
>playing overly linear story-heavy shit
>>
Why would anyone ever have sour grapes over an RPG? You can just watch it on Youtube and have the same experience pretty much.
>>
>>3189218
I've been looking for something new. Sell me on it?
>>
>>3188870
destroyed
>>
>>3188867
Phantasy Star II was pretty much a launch title.

It doesn't even compare to it's predecessor on a vastly inferior system.
>>
>>3189252
>wrpgfag bashing jrpgs as if that would make his shitty "games" any better
>>
>>3189261
I suck at selling people on shit. I say just play it, it's traditional RPG mechanics that doesn't heavily rely on annoying storytelling like JRPGs with tons of cool shit going on.

Just play it. So goddamn good.
>>
>>3188941
I tried Final Fantasy IV once, it was a fucking turd.

Takes like 2 hours to actually get to the game.
>>
>>3189269
>thinking modern WRPGs are anything like classic RPGs
Modern WRPGs are basically JRPGs in structure. It's sad that everyone's been so corrupted by the "success" of JRPGs that we can't get many games like Ultima or Eye of the Beholder or Wizardry any more.
>>
>>3189273
Have you played Ultima IV recently? It's really fucking bad, and very clearly a product of its time.
>>
>>3189261
Do you like first person dungeon crawling?

Do you like overhead strategy combat?

Do you like character creation and free exploring?

Do you like dinosaurs?

Do you think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_wLv4Y-p2s is awesome?

If most of those are yes, you'll love Warriors of the Eternal Sun.
>>
>>3189279
Typical little goddamn nugamer kid. Yes, I have played it recently. Holy shit, it's so good. No overblown WORDS WORDS WORDS non-interactive dialog bullshit, no fucking hours of cutscenes, no leading you down a single path by the hand, nothing.

But go ahead and believe that BAWWW GRAFIX SUCKS means that games are bad, you little underage moron.
>>
>>3189283
Yeah, grinding virtues over and over by letting enemies run away and donating blood constantly is VERY fun. You also spend most of the game donating gold to beggars.

You know what's even more fun, too? Having to type NAME and JOB over and over.

Or wait, a part that's even more fun is the game's obvious copy protection scheme where you need the manual for mixing every fucking spell.

It's a shit game, maybe influential, but still shit.
>>
>>3189283
Also I fucking love how you instantly assumed I was talking about the graphics. I realize the games came out on the fucking Apple II first, a computer which was mostly used in the education market. I'm not that dumb.
>>
>>3189283
Yet people hype Serpent Isle which is exactly what you describe.
>>
>>3189281
Cool yes, I like all of those things! I'll give it a go. Way better job selling it than this guy, lol. >>3189273
>>
>>3189220
Are you a moron? Dude said he would rather play PS2 than FF1 in 1989. All I was saying is DQ2 was better than FF1. I'm not sure if it was released in the states in 89 but I know it came out before FF1 did in Japan.
>>
>>3189259
Not really. Some games have more involved character development/customization.
>>
>>3189263
Lol, you're right, it doesn't compare. it's way better.
>>
>>3189271
Lol, troll. It takes less than 10 minutes if you go directly where you're supposed to.
>>
>>3189391
I'm talking about the unskippable cutscenes at the start.
>>
>>3189279
The NES version is cool.
>>
>>3189397
>2 hours
Like I said, less than 10 minutes.
>>
>>3189401
Do you know what hyperbole is?
>>
>>3189382
>Are you a moron? Dude said he would rather play PS2 than FF1 in 1989.
That's why he posted a screenshot of FF2.
For the record FF1 came out July 12, 1990 in the US. In Japan it came out a day before PS1.
>>
>>3189452
DQ2 came out before FF1 in Japan. It's also a more modern style RPG than FF1. I'm done.
>>
>>3189452
I didn't click his image, didn't even notice it was FF2, lol.
>>
>>3189290
>a part that's even more fun is the game's obvious copy protection scheme where you need the manual for mixing every fucking spell
Not a valid complaint, piratefag.
>>
>>3189490
>implying i pirated it when they give the game away FOR FREE
yeah i LOVE alt-tabbing out to a pdf every fucking minute

oh yeah you also need to do it for the map, and the moongates
>>
>>3189281
>Do you like first person dungeon crawling?
>Do you like overhead strategy combat?
I like these things but not together. Sounds like the combat would really slow the game down.
>>
>>3190678
Luckily for you, they don't go together. Field exploration is overhead, and that's where you have overhead strategy combat. First person dungeon crawling is only for indoor dungeons and that has real time, fast-paced combat.
>>
>>3190695
How bizarre. I'll have to give it a proper shot, I have the cartidge but it came with a whole bunch of other games so I have only ever given it the briefest of looks.
>>
>>3188870
Great list, but Warriors of the Eternal Sun was horrid.
>>
>>3188886
>FF
>SMT
Bad
Wew lad
>>
>>3189218
>nobody bought it the first time around
>pretty much forgotten now
Maybe when Sega gets around to making Sonic's greatest shits collection, this musky turd will get the attention it deserves alongside Battlemaster.
>>
>>3188989
Well since it is a Kawazu game hell yeah I would play FF.
>>
File: surprise.gif (2MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
surprise.gif
2MB, 300x300px
>>3188886
>>
>>3189290
>not playing GOAT SMS version with FM music
>>
>>3189397
Here's a (You). Now please get your /v/ tier bait out of here.
>>
>>3188867
>So did people actually like this series back in the day
Yes.

This thread seems to be a bad case of
>it's popular so I hate it
>>
>>3191475
>Phantasy Star
>Popular
Lol. Only Sega fags remember this mediocre game, anon.

>inb4 I didnt grow up with sega
>>
>>3190780
Ur a faggit

>>3188867
ur an even bigger faggot
>>
>>3191750
>anon
That's clearly a tripfag. I'm assuming you're new here, the rule of thumb is to never reply to them.
Have a nice day.
>>
File: nei.jpg (29KB, 297x350px) Image search: [Google]
nei.jpg
29KB, 297x350px
Yeah, I loved 2 and 4 back in the nineties and remember them as the best time I've ever had playing JRPGs. I enjoyed 1 and 3 as well, but not as much. SNES had lots of good JRPGs, but being on Sega instead doesn't automatically make the PS series bad in any way. Genesis had more quality shmups than SNES did, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't play R-Type 3, does it?
>>
>>3191750
I didn't grow up with a Sega console, though. Just because you "inb4" a factual statement doesn't mean it's not true. I never owned a Sega console, I was a Nintendo gal. My first console was an SNES and my first JRPG was Super Mario RPG. Look me up on Desu, this is all well-documented.
>>
Langrisser II and Shining Force II shit on any other snes rpg.
>>
>>3189279
I like ultima 6 because you can kill people and arrange their corpses in giant swastikas outside people's yards. You aren't role playing the avatar correctly if you don't make at least 3 corpse swastikas. In fact that reminds me I need to reinstall it for my yearly playthrough
>>
>>3192461
>gal
>well-documented
>>
>>3192674
It's a troll trip you dumb fuck
>>
>>3192531
But Langrisser II is also on SNES...
>>
>>3192762
In a casualised, butchered form, yes.
>>
>>3192762
Langrisser II != Der Langrisser
>>
>>3192770
>>3192778
Is the original version harder?
I only played the Saturn release which as far as I know is the same as Der Langrisser.
>>
>>3193104
Der Langrisser = worse graphics, worse music, overly simplified gameplay, worse story (though it's more non-linear)
>>
>>3193125
I wonder which music the Saturn version has.
>>
I had a NES and SNES growing up.

Phantasy Star 1 is one of the best (home console) 8-bit RPGs ever. It's far better than FF1-3, and DQ 1 and 3 are tight contenders with it. Schezarade is my fave.

Similarly, 4 is fucking fantastic.
>>
>>3189398
I hate to say it, but I just prefer the NES versions of U 3-5 universally. The redundant ripping off of a ripoff made it tighter.
>>
Well, anyone with motor skills would avoid RPG trash, but Phantasy Star is obviously much better than any Squaresoft RPG.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCVeIwKTlxE
So... this is the power.... of the SEGA Genesis....woah
>>
File: 私が町長です.jpg (52KB, 370x400px) Image search: [Google]
私が町長です.jpg
52KB, 370x400px
>>3193804
>Phantasy Star is obviously much better than any Squaresoft RPG.
No
>>
>>3193738
> PS1 = DQ1 > FF3
Troll detected
>>
I enjoyed Lunar 2 and Phantasy Star 4 more than any SNES JRPG (with the exception of Mother 2).
>>
As a non-fan of JRPGs, I really liked PS4. I couldn't get into 1-3, even when I tried the AGES remake on the PS2 -- something about that 8-bit JRPG style turns me off. I sort of got into FF6, but something held me back. PS4 I knocked through on my first try in less than a week (though, with a cheat to increase exp drops from select monsters, if I was sure I had to grind for something). The setting, the presentation, and the music just do wonders for me compared to the more stock High Fantasy of FF or DQ.
>>
>>3188870

SNES kid here.

You rekt him. Good job. Genesis is a solid console.
>>
>>3188867
If you live in PAL land you didn't get a single one of those SNES games. (Lufia II was releases though I think)

While Sega gave PAL almost everything the other territories got.

In Europe the Sega Mega Drive was the RPG console
>>
File: Nei.jpg (92KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
Nei.jpg
92KB, 600x750px
>>3191781
:__________:
>>
File: ps4-cutscene.png (23KB, 564x347px) Image search: [Google]
ps4-cutscene.png
23KB, 564x347px
>>3197952
>forgetting Alys
>>
>playing Langrisser II after someone recommending it in this thread (already played Warsong back in the day, never gave II a try)
>those fucking catchy tunes
>mfw

This is great.
>>
>>3189271
>3rd boss fight of the game
>acquire new character immediately before
>on a rail(raft) so no opportunity to grind or equip
>if new character dies, entire fight is lost
>boss can 1 hit KO new character
literally the only way to win that boss fight is to get lucky enough for the boss to not attack that one character

fucking 90's japs were sadistic
>>
>>3198874

Or you could, you know, move the essential character to THE BACK ROW!

But that'd be too simple, right?
>>
>>3198874
That's why you grind for a bit first. She was usually level 7-9 by the time I fought Octomammoth.
>>
>>3189290
agreed. Ultima 4 has some impressive stuff for its day, but its gameplay is liquid garbage.
>>
No one cared about RPGs back then. We played Zelda clones, and the Megadrive has a shitload of those.
>>
>>3188867
Definitely sour grapes if you were a kid, obviously you would rather have the SNES RPG's. That said, being older now with unlimited access to these games, I can totally appreciate PS on its own merits.
>>
>>3197935
This anon speaks the truth, as SNES RPGs were few and far between in Europe. We only had ARPGs and fucking Mystic Quest.
Even popular games like Final Fantasy IV/VI and Chrono Trigger weren't brought to PAL territories.

On the other hand, most Megadrive RPGs that were released in the US were also in Europe.
>>
I tried to get into PS2, but I never made it out of the first dungeon. It felt like I needed to grind for hours just to be good enough to get through the introductory dungeon, and the place itself was so damn big that it easily outstripped whatever training and resources I had.
>>
>>3188867
Genesis had 3&K so even if the all the other games in the Genesis library were shit the Genesis would still beat the SNES
>>
>>3193820
>this was made by Naughty Dog
>>
>>3197989
Alys's death hit me pretty hard, at least compared to other video game deaths. When she got sick, I thought she'd just be out of the party for a while. And then she dies and it's like.... oh. She really is dead.
I really wasn't expecting it.
>>
>>3188867
Pretty much all the good parts of Final Fantasy were ripped from Dragon Quest. Unless you love unskippable melodramatic cutscenes, naruto tier story and gameplay so braindead easy a chimp with downsyndrome could blitz through the game(s), there was no reason to ever bother with that overhyped series since there were always far better alternatives on every single platform.
>>
>>3201554
That's what makes it so well done. Off you go on a mission to save her, but in the end you can't do anything. The game makes you expect a happy outcome and makes you work for it only for it to be for nothing. It might even make you wonder if you did something wrong. That'll hit you harder than a single death cutscene ever could.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.