[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Parental Appreciation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 19

File: daXTa4X5W.jpg (225KB, 1136x771px) Image search: [Google]
daXTa4X5W.jpg
225KB, 1136x771px
Well /vr/, Mother's Day is this weekend and Father's Day just around the corner. Most of us got into gaming partially with the help of our parents. Many of who also loved games and shared their love of them with us.

So I thought we could have a thread in appreciation of all the gaming moms and dads out there that helped us get obsessed with them in the first place.
>>
My parents were always really cool with getting us games and stuff, despite not playing much. My dad really liked watching us play though, I think it was just nice for him because he could rest/fall asleep while being around us after shift work. They're good people, I probably could never be as kind as they are.
>>
>>3186569
I remember the day my dad brought an NES home. It was in November and said he had an early xmas present that couldn't wait. We played until I couldn't keep my eyes open that night and fell asleep to him playing Mario. What memories!
>>
>>3186593
My dad had been really against video games. He would play a round of Wrestlemania sometimes but just spend the whole time running away.

Then I showed him Tetris. At first he was annoyed and didn't get it. "Why would I want to complete a line if it just disappears?" Then he "got" it and was hooked for years and years. Played it every night before bed for almost 15 years.
>>
Some of my most cherished memories are playing Super Mario 64 with my mom and brother. Every time one of us died or got a star, we would pass the controller around. The best was always the first 30 or so stars with Dire Dire Docks, the slide, and collecting the colored hats.
>>
My dad stood in line to get a N64 at launch. Was great. Can't remember if we got the PS1 at launch but it was very shortly after if not.
>>
>>3186632
Play and pass is the best way to play so many games.
>>
My mom always hated video games, but she got me and my little brother gameboy colors when we were 5 and 6 because my dad had a job where 6 month out of the year he was 3 or so hours away and there wasn't anything for me and my brother to do on car rides. I everntually wore her down enough that by the time the gamecube came out she let me get it. Later, after one of my brother's soccer games in the 7th grade we went to Walmart to get a case of Gatorade for his team and there was a line outside the store. I asked what they were waiting for and remembered then that the Wii was coming out the next day. I begged my mom to let me stay and get it, as a gift for my birthday that was 4 days away. She let me sit there, then had my aunt come and wait with me until about 8 at night then my mom came and sat for me while my aunt took me home to do my homework and go to bed and what not. 4 days later I open the enourmous box and she had gotten me all the games and accessories that came out at launch and I almost cried I was so happy. We sat and played Rampage: Total Destruction for a while before she got tired and went to bed, letting me play zelda. I love my mom so much, very excited to see her this weekend
>>
>>3186689
What a great story!
>>
>>3186689
Damn, a wii on launch day? that is lucky. You might remember the first 18 months or so that system was out it was always impossible to find one because they'd be snatched up within minutes of any shelves getting restocked.
>>
>>3186689
My dad didn't care too much about video games, but he was always on my side with me arguing with my mom over getting a consle.
He worked on a ship, but always wanted to be a pilot. He had flown planes and gliders growing up in Europe. His job had him gone for 3 months, here for 3 months. The 6 months of the year he was home he didn't have to do work so he always had tons of energy to play with me and my brothers and help us and be a really active dad. When we got a 360 he asked us to get one of those Ace Combat games. One morning when he had been home for a month or so I woke up in the middle of the night to pee and there wa a light on in the living room. I got to check it out and there's my dad playing this fighter jet game in a tight white t shirt and white breifs. I asked him what he was doing and he turned around so embarassed and turned off the game and said "oh, just going to bed". I caught him doing it a handful more times growing up. He always looked so excited and happy, and it was always really nice to see

>>3186749
I actually don't remember that about the consoles but I knew all the games were really hard to find in my area
>>
>>3186772
Well all I know is I only got a wii because I had a friend who worked at a Wal-mart in Alabama and he hid one in the layaway room for me until I could send him some money to buy it for me.
>>
>>3186689
>>3186749
>>3186772
>>3186782
>6th anf 7th gen garbage
Hey go fuck yourself out of /vr/. Thanks.
>>
>>3186787
what about your parents?
>>
>i always fucked up kreepy krow's latter part
>dad always fucked up the early part
We beat it with teamwork
Shame he's gone
>>
>>3186612
That made me smile to hear anon, I'm happy he was able to enjoy it so.
>>
>>3186787
Instead of getting your knickers in a knot, you could, I dunno, share your parental appreciation stories about strictly /vr/ things? That is unless you're an edgy faggot that hates everyone.

Oh well, you got me to reply to you.
>>
I remember getting an NES for my fifth birthday summer of 1988, the same summer my mom died at 29. I still have the NES in my closet and cry sometimes when I pull it out even though it was 27 years ago.
>>
>>3186903
Shit.
I'm sorry things went the way they did, but It's nice to know that you still keep her in your thoughts.
>>
>>3186569
My mom is the kind of person who really doesn't get video games. She played arcades when she was younger, so that's more here style. She's a big fan of Ms. Pac-Man and later on, Pac-Man World, and the former was one of the first games I got on my Genesis. She was super supportive of my hobby, as long as I didn't let it affect my book smarts.

Dad, on the other hand, was the nerd I became. He's played video games since their inception, but he didn't really get bogged down by newer stuff like my mom did. He plays new games and old ones alike. Big fan of racing games, vert. shmups, and FPS games, beside older type shit like Lode Runner-esque platforming or text adventures. Probably where I got a lot of my taste in video games.

Not that I don't love strategy games or RPGs, don't get me wrong, but those early years really shaped what I perceive as childish fun, compared to adult fun. Racing games or shmups are childish fun to me. They hearken to more nostalgic, simpler times, whereas RPGs and strategy games feel like I am a man playing thought games.
>>
>>3186941
It's okay wounds heal. It's just the one thing that still triggers it.

Very Proud of my father that raised me and my sister alone. 1 income and he could still afford to keep us in nice things and buy me a SNES for christmas '92 I was sooo happy. He was more fucked up after his second wife was stabbed to death in Bakersfield California. He was single and had a drinking problem until he died in 2004 @ 48, He did buy prostitutes though, I ran into one on a surprise visit. She seemed pretty classy but I knew she was a whore. Holidays aren't the same now thqat both sides of my parents and grandparents are dead, the rest of the family has drifted across country and out of contact. Just our little unit and the legacy we will create now. The fuckin' tides of time right?
>>
>>3186995
My man, I'm happy you're a stable fellow. You've been around tough situations and seem well kept together. Stay as you are my friend.
>>
We got an NES and SMB from a neighbour, and the three of us - my mother, brother and myself - would play it endlessly. We didn't have any gaming magazines, so we were pretty much exploring new grounds without any help.

Every time one of us found something new - walking on the ceiling because hey, let's fuck around a bit (huh, warp pipes), breaking absolutely every block and finding that hidden multi-coin block amongst a shitton of mundane ones in 4.2, stumbling over the first vine and so on and so forth, we'd talk about it for hours in our attempts to finally beat the damn game (which we did, eventually. Fucking 8.1 was worse than the ones that followed).

Two player races to see who'd beat it first were the best.
>>
File: dad-gaming.jpg (71KB, 684x960px) Image search: [Google]
dad-gaming.jpg
71KB, 684x960px
>>3187001
shit goes down, here's a neat pic of my dad playing my snes with us, I am taking the picture. the grill isn't my sister.
>>
File: gaming3.jpg (50KB, 682x960px) Image search: [Google]
gaming3.jpg
50KB, 682x960px
>>3187069
right there jump,jump,JUMP!!
>>
File: gamin.jpg (61KB, 960x634px) Image search: [Google]
gamin.jpg
61KB, 960x634px
>>3187076
Here's my sister. I don't know what she is playing but it seems fun.
>>
File: cool.jpg (69KB, 685x960px) Image search: [Google]
cool.jpg
69KB, 685x960px
>>3187084
I had these dudes to teach me how to be rad
>>
File: fight.jpg (81KB, 960x665px) Image search: [Google]
fight.jpg
81KB, 960x665px
>>3187090
And to beat me up.
>>
File: kid.jpg (62KB, 960x663px) Image search: [Google]
kid.jpg
62KB, 960x663px
>>3187097
Miss you Mom and Dad I hope I can be the parent you both were to me.

Me on the right hydrating for another go at the pinball score. Never did beat you DJS
>>
>>3187102
I appreciate you posting the photos man, nice to see some of your past in the vidya and family realm. You seem like good people so hold the memories in a good light and I'm sure you'll be a quality parent yourself.
>>
I played the shit out of Pagemaster and Super Bomberman 3 with my mom back in the day. She barely played anything past Mario Kart 64, except for Singstar or Bemani games.
Now it's all about Candy Crush and Bust-a-Move clones.
>>
>>3186689
My mom got me a tiger-type game at that age.
>>
>>3187218
Tiger* the lcd brand I mean, just in case that wasn't clear.
>>
I have no memory of my parents playing games. My mom thinks that games were a mistake but still bought me tons of gamaes growing up anyway.

I was 10 when we got a gamecube at launch, but ironically I ended up playing NES games in Animal Crossing more than almost anything at the time.
>>
>>3186995
The tides indeed. Keep pushing man. All life is mostly is pushing
>>
>>3187084
it looks like she's playing a roll of tape anon
>>
>>3188296
damn wrong pic. too late now not at the pc.

A roll of tape was a game when I was a kid. We had to unroll it uphill in the snow both ways, and we liked it damnit.
>>
My mom's two favorite games are Millipede and Phoenix, and she likes similar arcade games. She would probably play a lot more games, but she has vision problems, and can really only play things with a black background.

My dad used to play Daytona USA with me at an arcade, and while he doesn't play games much at all now, he likes Joust and Qix.
>>
My late father tried so hard to get into games with me, but he unfortunately only had little success. He loved Street Fighter II Turbo and Super Street Fighter II Turbo and could whoop ass as Zangief. He was also a fan of the Time Crisis series, we'd usually play it in arcades when he was still able to stand. The last game we bonded with we could talk for hours reaching as many as 40 hours or so straight. He's been dead for four years now, and I'm glad he's gone so he doesn't have to see what's going to become of our beloved Duke Nukem 3d.

Mom was actually the one who got me hooked back in 88, with a Nintendo Entertainment System with Zapper, the mat which its name escapes me, and the three-in-one Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt/Track and Field combo cartridge. She also taught me how to use the 386, with Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? and a few educational titles like Reader Rabbit.
>>
>>3188318
power pad was the track and field mat, I used to play the shit out o prehistorik games? a caveman themed olympic sports game
>>
>>3186569
oh man. where do i start?

One year my grandma got really hooked into Dr. Mario. So much that my mom and dad got it for her for xmas. Even as a kid I respected it was her game and asked before I played it. It's now in my collection and I'll never part with it for anything.

My dad bought me Out Of This World for snes when I was about 10. He said his friends at work played it on PC a lot. My first few tries I didn't like it but then it clicked and my dad and I spent a lot of time going through it together.

My Mom. Geez, what one do I choose? She had a special knack for picking out amazing stuff to rent if I couldnt join her for trips to the video store. Played tons of street fighter with me and Spy Vs Spy with me.

My whole family was awesome about my hobby growing up. When I turned 26 I released my first indie game and it got a bunch of attention. They were so proud and excited for me. When I told them I wanted to take it on full-time they didn't bat an eye and said "Go for it!"

Visited my grandma during a pretty rough hospital stay a few months ago. She was drugged up heavily and really confused but the minute after I came in and hugged her, the first thing she asked is "How is your game coming along?".

Tears, man. Tears.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 184x184px
>>3188296
>>
I started a thread along these lines about a year ago and some fag shat up the thread saying any parent who also games is a "loser" and his dad played tons of sports with him and shit. What a bitch.

Anyways my dad has given up gaming for a long time because he is so busy but he used to be really into it. When I was little I watched him beat FFVII and LoD. He got me into Tekken because we would play Tekken 2 all the time. Twisted Metal 2 as well. I also vaguely remember him inviting friends over and having a Medal of Honor marathon.

He hasnt played video games in a long time but I recently just played him a few matches in Tekken 2. Was nice, havent done that in a long time.
>>
>>3189187
Of course I had to go a little easy on him. I couldve 10 hit combo his ass right off the bat but I wanted it to be like old times.
>>
My father hates games and my mother only plays solitaire in Windows.

Lol.
>>
My dad taught me that videogames are rubbish and broke my gameboy stomping it angrily in front of me when i was little
Happy fathers day...
>>
Some of my fondest memories were playing Mario Bros with my grandma
>>
File: 1453355379657.gif (733KB, 484x364px) Image search: [Google]
1453355379657.gif
733KB, 484x364px
>>
My mom is why I enjoy Zelda. There was a video store in town that had game rentals, and was liquidating their Gameboy stock. She got Link's Awakening, because the clerk recommended it, played it and beat it over a few weeks. When I got an N64, she got OOT for it, but ended up not messing with it due to disliking the Z-targeting. So, playing both of those shaped a lot of gaming experiences later for me.
She was also fond of Tetris, and pretty handy at Super Smash Bros. Also tried her hand at Pokemon, because of Smash, but didn't really get too much into it, beyond playing against me in Stadium a couple of times.
Years later, when I was playing Final Fantasy Tactics, she would always watch attentively. She really enjoyed everything about it, but just didn't really have the time to mess with a file of her own.

Honestly, I have a lot of really fond gaming-related memories with my mom, just like I have a lot of fond history and art related memories with my dad.
>>
My parents hate video games.

Whenever my dad's friends talk about their kids, my dad says something like, "Yeah. Anon would pro'lly do something like that... If he wasn't so fixated on playing his damn Nintendos and Dungeons & Dragons!"

Once, my younger sister saved over one of my gameboy games, and when we fought about it, my dad ran in the room, snatched it away, and threw it against the ground.

Dad always criticized us for being "city boys", but how exactly is that our fault?

I try to love my parents, but they're inconsiderate assholes.
>>
When I was a kid my parents would always say "that's it! you're coming unplugged!" and take away the nes cords and toss us outside. Neither of them have any hobbies except watching TV and using the internet and being disappointed in their kids. My Dad plays Tetris attack every day and always claims he only plays it when the kids are home but that is a load of bullshit. Both constantly said shit like "I regret ever bringing a computer into this house."
>>
>>3189917
>>3189915
>>3189734
Fuck 'em!
>>
>>3189198
Should've just spanked his ass good lmao.
Seriously though, sounds nice man.
>>
>>3186995
shit winds, son, they always blowin
>>
Argentina here

my mother promised to buy me a NES, because she made a mistake, we just had changed currencies from Australes to Pesos, and she hadnt realized that it was 300 pesos (dollars), and not 300 australes, which was much much less.
After realizing the mistake I told her to not buy it (I was like 8 in 1991), to not worry about it, but I must have made her feel so guilty that she bought it anyway.
I was a nerd with few to non friends, and videogames (in arcades) was one of the few non school things I was good at.
>>
>>3186995
here

>>3189852
feels level >9000 anon, it was beautiful, I cried

my dad was really into cars so I ordered gt4 and a wheel (driving force pro?) for him because he was sick and couldn't drive his real car anymore but he died before it came. I kept it in the closet never even opened it and sold it that holiday season to a single mom for less than 1/2 retail (less than I even advertised it for). It felt good to pay it forward and was crushing at the same time knowing my father and I would never nerd out about cars or play a game together again. She was super happy that she could afford what her boy wanted more than anything and gave me a hug. I cried on a strangers shoulder, spilled my story and felt ashamed and embarrassed for my actions, she just grabbed me and hugged me harder. Thank you random lady.

I don't know if I've ever told any of these stories. It was therapeutic
>>
>>3189198
That reminds me of how I got really into working out my freshman year of college

Dad asked for my help moving some furniture the summer after my first year and at one point asked me to get this really big chair and when I told him "you're the dad, you do the heavy lifting" he laughed and said "well, it's kind of obvious you've gotten stronger than me, little guy"

I laughed and moved the chair and told him I had to piss and went to the bathroom and cried and cried and cried.
Passing the torch type thing.
It woulda been cool to beat your dad to show him that you've grown in some regard, but it's so comforting to have a dad that you feel like you still have things to learn from and who feels like he can still kick your ass a little
>>
>>3187084
Your sister is hot. Would she sit on my face if I paid her? Can I get her email?
>>
my mom got us a NES in 1990, she could kinda play mario, but she loved the original legend of zelda, she would also play some vidya with me as a kid even if it wasn't something she was into, like Baseball Stars.

Dad didn't get into games until a few years later, one day while im at school he goes into my room to check out my games, I had my SNES hooked up at the time (this was early PS2/gamecube era, early 00s) and when I came home he found and got hooked on Kirby's Avalanche, he could never get very far but he liked those puzzle games.

Funny story about that game, how I got it. We were at some sort of union picnic at a lake in michigan in like 1996 or something like that, there is a balance an egg on a spoon race that I enter. I get 4th place so no prize, but my dad comes right up and bitches at the judge till i get 3rd, which gets me a 10 dollar gift certificate to best buy. One day we go to best buy, i spot kirby's avalanche cause it was cheap and had dad give me a few dollars more to afford it.

they divorced when i was like 11, mom died few years ago, dad moved across the country. I miss them both very much
>>
>>3186569
My parents were completely against me playing video games. They were even against me having a computer because it could be used for games. I had to earn my own money and fight just to use it to buy them.
Maybe it was reverse psychology to get me to do what they said I shouldn't. And without that I wouldn't have had a great career in IT and made squillions of dollars. Or maybe they were just being cunts.
>>
My mom played Donkey Kong Country with me when I was a kid. She had been of the mind that it was "too soon" for a video game system in the house, but watching me play DKC, suddenly she wanted to try it and got just as addicted as me. While I was at school, she'd be playing, and when she picked me up, she'd tell me what levels she managed to beat that day. We went all the way up to Elevator Antics together before it became way too hard for her. One of the more recent times I visited her, I brought DKC Returns for us to play on her Wii. She said it was way too hard but that it also "felt like coming home".

Both my parents enjoyed Mario Kart but my mom was the one who became a real demon at it. If I wasn't careful or not playing at my best, she'd be more than capable of beating me. She says Mario Kart 8 makes her motion sick, lol.

My dad was more of a Starfox person but could never beat me in multiplayer if I was in the Arwing. Ironically, the games my dad has really gotten into today are Animal Crossing and Splatoon. I never expected Animal Crossing; my dad likes sci-fi and intellectual pursuits. But he'd be in the room while I was playing City Folk and would watch more and more, and then said, "Hey... how do I have my own house?" I remember once he ran in the room and took the TV from me, turning the Wii on without a word. It was 8 PM. I realized he was trying to get the Silver Shovel and started laughing my ass off.

As for Splatoon, I absolutely cannot get my dad to stop playing it. I'll come home from work and he's playing it. I'll wake up in the morning and he's playing it. Sometimes he'll go around the plaza looking for posts that are obviously from little kids and he'll 'yeah' them.
>>
File: 1407874262400.jpg (2KB, 125x78px) Image search: [Google]
1407874262400.jpg
2KB, 125x78px
My dad sat and played through all of Super Mario 64 with me, and was a hardcore completionist. He'd yell at me if I passed up a coin or anything. Great times. He even eventually bought the guide so we could 100% it and find Yoshi.

My mom never played games with me much, but we used to sit on the couch together under the lamp and play Castlevania Adventure or Tetris together. Tetris was her calling or something. When I got her a game of Tetris on the PS1, she played it near religiously. She was REALLY good at it too.

My parents haven't picked up a controller since that era, and both of them act like I'm sentencing them to death if I ask them to play with me again. "I'm too old! I'll just make a fool of myself."

It was fun while it lasted.
>>
File: 1453167381846.jpg (213KB, 599x640px) Image search: [Google]
1453167381846.jpg
213KB, 599x640px
My parents were never into videogames, but once me and my brother made them play against each other in Super Mario Kart's battle mode. They mostly just ran at each other trying to steer the kart though and laughed it off.

My dad's a huge fan of westerns so I played a bit of emulated Sunset Riders with him last year. I used a cheat to give us infinite lives so I could beat the game with him. It was a lot of fun.

I love them a lot.
>>
>>3192721
This is so comfy. Your parents are great.
>>
File: 007goldeneye.jpg (285KB, 1042x1500px) Image search: [Google]
007goldeneye.jpg
285KB, 1042x1500px
My dad loves shooting games, we're specially found of Goldeneye for the Nintendo 64. He will usually just get stucked trying to exit doors, shoot at the wrong side, select the wrong weapon and silly stuff like this. He made me realise that you don't need to play just for winning or anything like that, the most important thing is to have fun. :)
>>
Great stories posted here. Touching. Put a smile on my face, the way some of you anons wrote yours made me tear up a little. I guess I'll share mine too.

I was born in 1991. As a kid, being 4y/o, we had an NES in the house with 2 official Nintendo Game Briefcases (boxes where you can hold your games) full of ALL the classics, an NES Advantage, and the Light Gun. You name the NES classics, we had them. But how? We were poor. How could we afford so many games? This question became even more prevalent in my mind as I grew up and realized the prices for all these games and accessories.
It turns out (and my dad did not tell me this until years later), that a guy he worked with named Damien gave him the NES so that I could have something to play with. My dad spoke to me a lot about Damien but unfortunately neither him or his old co-workers know anything about Damien. It stinks. I pretty much owe my love for video games to Damien. Had he not given my dad the NES, I don't know what'd I be doing right now.

My dad loved playing SMB1 but I always found it boring. SMB2 my dad loved too but it was hard for me. SMB3 was more colorful and fun. I loved playing Super Mario Bros 3. Loved it. My dad's other favorite games were Zanac, Tiger Heli, and Gyruss. Man did he love Zanac though. The theme of the first level is super nostalgic to me and it always reminds me of my dad

My dad and his friend Freddy was at our house one day and Fred beat SMB1 so quickly. My dad was seriously amazed.
One night, my dad came home from work on Friday and booted up SMB2. I must've been sleeping but he told me that he was at this one level with a whale and the ground was slippery (world 4), and that he had over 80 lives but lost them all there.
In SMB2, remember the terrifying masks that would chase you? Well, I as a kid was scared of them. So I'd ask my mom who stayed at home to beat the level for me or run away from the mask and she did without fail. She loved playing Tetris too. And Kid Icarus.
>>
My mom is technology illerate. My dad would buy games and consoles for us but I don't think he played them himself. Maybe once he tried Halflife with me and my brother to test our LAN but my brother and I absolutely destroyed him. We were kinda cunts, I can see why he never tried again. Then again both me parents had me at like 40 so there's probably a bigger generational gap for me.
>>
File: IMG_0038.jpg (651KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0038.jpg
651KB, 1500x1125px
My dad grew up in the arcade era and even worked in one. He was a big fan of Robotron 2084, and one of the sounds is his text tone I think. He was pretty in tune with video games, getting my brother and I a PS2 when it came out. He'd play GTA when we weren't around but past that didn't play much up until modern phone games. However I do still own the SNES we grew up with which his friend gave to him before we were born. Being able to play DKC with my brother then watch him play Ratchet and Clank was pretty fun. We also had a lot of really old Macintosh CD-ROMs of kid games like I-Spy and Tonka. He works with graphic design, so we were earlier adopters of home computers, and i think we still have the old Apple computer we played on.

My mom could really care less, she never played video games much, still isn't in to them.
>>
>>3192848
He's a nice person
>>
>>3186569
My dad hates gaming and has instilled a natural psychological apprehension of the hobby in me. While playing, at the back of my mind I'm always kinda thinking that I should be doing something better and that this is a waste of time. Kinda sucks.

I mean, I don't watch TV, which he does. Why is watching TV fine but playing video games wrong? It's silly. At least there's some interactivity with video games. Bottom line this whole life might as well be a waste of time but that's just my nihilism talking.

I'm not a 4chan autist that hates his father though. He's a great guy. Sadly he just doesn't understand gaming and it's too much of a generational gap for him.
>>
File: 1459463950518.jpg (33KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
1459463950518.jpg
33KB, 854x480px
>>3193989
I'm similar and it can even fuck me up while playing the game. If I start playing shitty I'll start being flooded with shitty memories and ruin everything. I won't get started on the father thing though. My mother didn't give a shit when I was small but shamed me for it as I grew up so I missed out on everything post psx. It's part of the reason I'm mostly /vr/ because I had to rely on emulators.
>>
>>3193989
>>3196523
So sad.
>>
My parents split up and dad bought a C64. He'd program little progs for it, like a random number generator for Lotto # picking etc. I'd play games on it.

Many good times were had. Wizard of Wor2 was a great 2 player game back in the day and we ended up being a kick-ass combo.

He bought Ultima V and he'd play and I'd make notes, we didn't get too far, then it clicked with me and I took over and we started getting somewhere, did the same with Ultima Vi too. Never bloody finished Ultima V though, the dungeon load times on C64 were BS.

My mom was never into gaming, but I got her playing some Sonic on the megadrive. SHe'd never play 2, but she was Okay paying as Knuckles coz he ran slower.
When I got my Saturn, she would button mash as Wolverine on Xmen COTA and totally annihilate me. Lol. I hated Wolvy's high cheese level.
Once I got her onto Crazy Taxi as well, was hilarious as she start playing, then not do too well and start laughing her ass off at the customers responses.

So, long story short, not many times, but good times.

>Really wanna finish Ultima V, but those frikking mongbats in the underworld.....
>>
My mother only played with my sister and I once. On the desert train level in Mario Kart 64, we let her play 3P as Mario or something. Within 10 seconds, she was driving the wrong way, off the track, hit by the train. She never played a game with us after that.

EXCEPT, when I would set up MAME so she could play Pacman and Tailgunner for her. They were the only games she played when she was younger, so they're the only things she's familiar with. I've been trying to find a cheap Plug and Play Pacman for her for a while, but the people around here scalp them as Pacman memorabilia and I haven't done it yet. I'll probably break down one day and get it for her anyway.

I owe it to my dad, though. He's the one that got me my first console. My mother was convinced by the news that new video games were bad for kids and that it'd hurt us. He said that was silly for how old we were and bought us a N64 [approaching the end of its life and on sale, you lovable scrooge] with a copy of Ocarina of Time (for me) and Banjo Kazooie (for my sister). I actually have the video of us opening both on Christmas morning. We were so excited, for kids who had never played a video game before, and didn't know what they were really. Though funnily enough, I ended up liking Banjo Kazooie more because the Deku Tree's guts made me a little scared, and my sister really liked Link.
>>
My dad (born in '56) said that Pong was getting big around the time he was in the Navy. The younger recruits played it constantly, while he was just a couple of years too old to get excited about it.

He loves Doom and Descent, though.
>>
File: 1438080169460.png (54KB, 640x156px) Image search: [Google]
1438080169460.png
54KB, 640x156px
My dad was really into gaming at first when the ps1 came out. Him and my uncle used to rent a PS1 and a different game every week. I remember them renting FF7 and hating it because they didn't know what RPGs were and what to expect.

The real fun came when they rented Resident Evil. They started renting it every week and beating it over and over again. My dad sucks at games, but he can knife only run all the ps1 REs.

I remember when Dino Crisis came out, the T-Rex bursting through the window scared the living piss out of me, and Regina being dropped into the massive fan (They didn't understand they had to mash buttons at those parts) gave me nightmares for months.

Mom was never that into games, but she really liked Battle Arena Toushinden(sp) and Tekken 3.

Good times.
>>
>>3193989
i'm kinda the same way, I get feel real guilty playing video games but it was totally brought on by myself as my mom didn't give a shit about games and my brother and I would often have to fight our dad for the N64 controller.

I did really poorly in school despite being pretty smart because I was depressed and anxious on top of some physical health issues that weren't discovered until later. I barely graduated high school, went to community college and realized that I was in control of my life and immediately started getting A's in everything.
With that though came a deep insecurity that I was never doing enough to reach my goals which made me pretty much stop playing games. I've loosened up a bit which has definitely been for the better but I still do feel a little guilty when playing a game for too long.
>>
>>3197854
Remembered some other random memories:

My grandmother used to play SMB1 with me when she'd babysit me. She used to haul the controller over to the right because it 'made Mario run faster'. She's also the first person I ever saw die from jumping too high off screen.

It took me years to beat Twisted Metal 2. One day my dad and I were playing, we were on 0 lives against Dark Tooth, and I remember dad using the lightning when I was in the room with DT. Put me down to almost no health, I had no ammo, and I put that fucker down with the machine gun, screaming at the top of my lungs.

My dad, uncle, and their cousins used to play Goldeneye a lot. First time I played I was 5, around when it came out, and dad told me I had to play Boris and only use slaps because "You're a kid and he's a kid". I hadn't seen the movie to know he wasn't a teenager. I used to play it constantly when they weren't around, so much that I'm pretty much unbeatable at the multiplayer now.

Goddamn, these memories.
>>
>>3187102

who is that man in the back right bearing an angelic glow around his head?
>>
File: 1461445521427.jpg (55KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1461445521427.jpg
55KB, 800x600px
>this thread reminding me my parents never played games with me
>remembering my father didn't even really do anythingwith me
He provided for us and I love him but it hurts, he's told me though he regrets not being active in my childhood which makes me feel a bit better. I think I would be even more of a pathetic lonely fuck if I didn't have siblings.
>>
played eye of teh beholder on dads homeoffice pc.
apparently he played it too for a little bit.
on a few occurances we had competitions with the donkey kong game and watch.
mom loved kwirk on gameboy, i got her a snes and super gameboy for birthday decades later.
>>
Hey /vr/ I got a few SNES AC adapters with bad cords. Does any place sell just the cord ready to be soldered onto the brick?
>>
>>3198290
Or better yet, the measurements for the SNES barrel plug.
>>
>>3190331
she's a 39 yr old and married now probably not.

>>3198210
Maybe it was Pizza Jesus, we were at the Pizza Hut with a buffet and an arcade in it. I never noticed him until you pointed it out 0_o
>>
Dad doesn't play as much as he used to, but back in the day he and my mom would rent a console and a fighting game on the weekends before they had kids. He always kicked her ass at mortal combat and I think that's why she doesn't really play anything. She would go to bed and he would stay up all night training against the computer.

He still kicks everyone's ass at VF5, and my early memories of him related to games is trying to beat him at Tekken 2.
>>
Mom would play Dr. Mario all the time with me and my sisters.
Dad showed us Asteroid, Tempest, and QBasic on the computer.
My Dad's friend gifted us a lot of N64 games like Banjo Kazooie for Christmas.
>>
>>3198210
>who is that man in the back right bearing an angelic glow around his head?

What do you think people did before the internet?

They had to be creepy the old fashioned way.
>>
I think my dad was the first to finish SMB1 in our family. He would also play Sim City and Tetris. He more or less stopped playing after 2000.

I remember my brother trying to make him playing Starcraft, but it was the tutorial mission and my dad was destroying its own buildings...
>>
When I was 6 I was diagnosed with asthma, a tight-chested cough that wouldn't go away resulted in a 2 week stay in the hospital.

They had a sega master system in there, and though I'd pretty much never played a video game before, since that was the only thing I could do from my hospital bed, I played that thing every second I could. I was fucking god awful at it, but thankfully, so was everyone else.

Me and this little pakistani boy spent every day taking turns, trying and failing to beat first level. Occasionally one of our parents would be visiting. It was only 2 weeks, but it felt like months.

I was the first of us to clear level 1. The pakistani boy's father was visiting at the time, and he'd had a few tries, so he knew how hard it was. When I beat it he was so happy for me, and he shook my hand. I think he was the first person to ever shake my hand. Or at least, the first I remember.

After I got out of the hospital, I didn't think about videogames again for a few months, go back to playing outside with toy soldiers and guns.

Then my birthday rolled around and to my complete surprise, I unwrap a Sega Master System that I hadn't even asked for. My dad had obviously seen how happy it made me in the hospital.

Thus began a life-long passion.

He and my mother then proceeded to spend the rest of my life telling me to go outside and stop playing videogames.
>>
>>3186802
>>3186842
nice samefag and out
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-08-11-49-35.png (334KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-08-11-49-35.png
334KB, 1080x1920px
>>3198848
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>3186569
I could never get my dad to play games with me, or much of anything else either. It was always like pulling teeth but for a brief period there he sat down and played MK3 with me. I'd do fatalities on him. I don't know if he thought that was funny too or not, but it went on for a few weeks. Can't remember much else than that. Tried getting him to play tennis a few years ago but that fizzled out after a month. My mom never played at all.
>>
>>3199676
same anon, just remembered renting Maniac Mansion on NES. I would get scared at the part where you have to shut down the power in the house because if you take too long it goes nuclear. My dad would play that brief part for me where you fix the wires or something while I left the room and then hand it back to me. Looking back it's amazing he did that since he had no skill or knowledge of games so it's impressive it worked. He played some SNES NCAA football game too for a while with me because he liked football, even though I hated it. My mom got me that game because "as a man I need to learn the rules of football." I still don't know nor care about them. But it was still cool he played it with me.
>>
File: Ape Escape.jpg (33KB, 256x251px) Image search: [Google]
Ape Escape.jpg
33KB, 256x251px
My first console was a PS1 so I got into gaming a bit later than most here probably.

And my first game? Well pic related.

I'm still fucking pissed 3 was the last main series game we got, then it was just spinoffs and that one on rails PS Move game on PS3.

I fucking miss you ape escape you glorious bastard, but apparently you're more marketable in japan than america which is why we will never see you again.
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.