[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cartridge based games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_1992.jpg (903KB, 2544x1416px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1992.jpg
903KB, 2544x1416px
This is more out of curiosity but do you guys think cartridge based games are still gonna be playable 20 years from now?

Im mainly thinking of old Gameboy games or SNES games
>>
>>3185712
I'd assume they are much more likely to work than disc based games.
>>
>>3185712
Just take care of them - use dust covers and clean them occasionally, and they'll continue to work just fine. The only thing you really need to worry about is the battery dying, and that's an easy enough fix.
>>
>>3185809
and metal/cap corrosion
and the chips getting fucked up through a routine shock of electricity

they'll last as long as you can replace the components on the boards/you don't let corrosion take over.
>>
>>3185712
Your age is showing son. There are already carts that are 40 years old and working fine. Stuff that's 20-25 years old now will still work 20 years from now. Or 50 years from now. And if you replace any SRAM with FRAM your saves will still be there as well.
>>
>>3185912
You know, worrying about your cartridges dying is exactly like worrying about your own death; that's no way to live. Just relax.
>>
>>3185912
Unless you live in a 3rd world shit hole I don't think you'll have much of a problem.
>>
>>3187007
You know, worrying about what other people worry about is exactly like worrying about other people worrying about their own death; that's no way to live. Just relax.
>>
>>3187204
Right on.
>>
>>3187204
No, that's a good way to live because stupid people need to be told to stop being stupid.
>>
>>3187221
Which is exactly what I did.
>>
>>3187479
So you contradicted yourself. Idiot.
>>
>>3186964
Calling people "son" is the #1 sign that you're under 20.
>>
>>3187515
>i don't know what sarcasm is
Probably not the only thing.

>>3187631
Top kek kid. Project much?
>>
>>3185712
They will last for up to 100 years if well cared for.
Like how that one on the left needs the contacts cleaned.
Also why does the one on the right have solder on it?
>>
>>3185712
They probably won't even be playable in another 5 years.

After about 30 years batteries naturally start to leak. When batteries leak in cartridges they corrode the silicon board.

Thanks to the people who let me get my initial investment plus thousands for things with a useful life of less than a decade.
>>
I'm scared of disc rot, but how more likely is bit rot? Are these even things I should be worried about?
>>
>>3188405
i've got disc rot on a pal copy of virtua fighter 2 I got. Didn't think it was real before then.
>>
Well, if they take a shit, just get a flash cart. As long as your console holds up, you'll still be able to play the games like normal.

Beyond that, in Future Space 3967, people will have to resort to emulators.
>>
>>3188064
did you just come to this board to belittle people? i mean i get this is 4chan and you're just LE TROLLING KEK but you are the biggest faggot i've ever seen.
>>
>>3188385
Lithium coin batteries don't leak though, you're thinking of alkaline/nickel cadmium.
>>
File: bathldr.jpg (105KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
bathldr.jpg
105KB, 640x480px
A lot of old PC boards with barrel batteries have been ruined by leakage. It's true that lithium batteries don't leak, however many PCs back in the 386 era didn't use those.

Console games though use only lithium coin cells so you never have to worry about them leaking.
>>
>>3188871
Just relax.
>>
File: 258qrHe.png (109KB, 444x444px) Image search: [Google]
258qrHe.png
109KB, 444x444px
>>3188775
A lot of people don't think it's real, or are convinced it must be caused by how someone cared for the disc rather than manufacturing error.

>mfw some rare turbo CD and Saturn games I own got a spot or two of rot in the last couple years
>>
>>3188936
Too bad, but I guess most manufacturers assumed the battery only had to last 4-5 years after which you'd upgrade to a new PC.
>>
>>3188871
Calling someone young seems to upset a lot of people on this board. Or maybe it actually is just bitter people over 40 who think that if you weren't playing retro stuff when it was new you don't *really* appreciate it. Either way, it seems like calling people "kiddo" is what people do when they want to feel superior and not actually make a cohesive argument.
>>
File: 1450512441179.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1450512441179.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>3189267
All the fun I've been having is fake

Thank you for showing me the truth, I'm gonna go play black ops 3
>>
>>3188871
No. I came to offer some good advice and did earlier in the thread. Then I saw some whiny little shit worrying about what someone else was worrying about and pointed out his hypocrisy
You sure seem mad about it. Are you samefag or some other angsty youngling?
>>
>>3185712
Atari 2600 games from the 70's are still working, so for the most part yeah, I think carts have at least 50 years.

Assuming you're not going out of your way to fucking ruin them.
>>
>>3189837
They buried ET in a dump and still couldn't kill it. After the nuclear war and after the roaches go extinct ET carts will be the dominant species on the planet.
>>
OH MY GOD
YOU GUYS

THINGS I BOUGHT AGE
AND THEY MAY NOT WORK IN THE FUTURE...

OH MY GOD NO...
>>
>>3190371
>AGE
Bingo, kiddo.
>>
>>3188936
>found my old psx collection
>had a jp copy of kings field my uncle gave me when I was 5
>take it out of the case
>massive spot of disc rot on it
;_;
>>
>>3189104
>tfw I used to think it was a hoax
>then my burnt copy of Diablo for PS1 got disc rot
>now I live in constant fear

compact disks were a mistake
>>
>>3191279
>he thinks floppy disks were immortal and didn't suffer bit rot
You must be 18 to use this website.
>>
>>3191368
Consoles, you piece of shit.
>>
>>3188385
What? The boards aren't made out of silicon and also what >>3188905 said.
>>
Solid state electronics are theoretically immortal if properly taken care of. Probably (and unfortunately) the most irreplaceable retro console component are CRT displays.
>>
File: fds.jpg (63KB, 367x300px) Image search: [Google]
fds.jpg
63KB, 367x300px
>>3191384
?
>>
>>3192098
Not him. While those are "discs" they are not floppy.
>>
>>3192119
>not floppy
They sure are sport.
>>
>>3192378
>kiddo
Can we please wordfilter this?

Also >>3192374 is right, they're in a plastic enclosure but they use magnetic storage media that is the same technology as floppy disks.
>>
>>3192658
>Can we please wordfilter this?
I agree, it triggers my PTSD.
>>
>>3192098
yeah, I already have games that are dying on me. The solution would be to mod the FDS for writing, so you can rewrite the games from ROM when they go bad.
>>
>>3192378
Top kek, kiddo. I've got a bunch of FDSs and a drawer full of disk cards. They're just as floppy as a 3.5" floppy, kiddo.

>>3192668
fdsloader, fdsstick, or whatever you can build yourself. The FDS is really basic, well documented, and easily emulated. The actual hardware is a pain in the ass. Huge, shitty belt, and eventually all the disks will turn to rust.
>>
>>3185912

little SMT caps are fine, it's only the big electrolytics yo uhave to worry about
>>
>>3192946
yeah, fdstick, would be part of a writing setup. In part because you can only fit a certain amount of games on the stick, I'd probably feel the need to keep a few around on disks.

It's just too bad you can't find "blanks" all that cheap.
>>
>>3185712
Why are the connectors tinned on the cartridge to the right?
>>
>>3193495
I asked the same question, that could put more stress on your gameboy cart connector.
>>
In probably 30 or 40 years, all of the generations who cared about the cartridge based games will be dead or about to die.
Then they will lose most of their value and nobody will care about them. Some of them might be saved to make maybe a museum of sorts, but nobody will care if they really work or not. They'll just be on display while you'll be able to play emulated versions of them, in simulated CRT screens. The adults will talk about their "Good old days" but they'll be looking back at Undertale and Dark Souls as nostalgic.
It has happened before. Merchandise of shows like "I love lucy" and other old Cowboy shows used to be big and worth a lot, but since the generations interested in those died, there's no demand for those products, so they aren't really worth much.

On the other hand, it could go the Coca-Cola way, if Nintendo is still a big name 30 years from now, Super Mario and Metroid games could only become more and more expensive, but probably only as collectibles. People won't care much if they are still working or not.

At least that's my opinion.
>>
>>3193493
Yeah, back when you could only have a few games it was an issue. Now not so much. I don't think you can get the entire library onto the 128MB version but certainly everything you'd want to play.

Blanks go for ¥50 here although they're not always available. The problem is that they do go bad and eventually there will be none left. I'm sure it would be possible to replace the medium but with the alternatives there's not much point.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.