[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going Back In Order Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: final_fantasy_by_cloudyboy18.jpg (248KB, 1499x1108px) Image search: [Google]
final_fantasy_by_cloudyboy18.jpg
248KB, 1499x1108px
This thread is dedicated to those among us who are actively working through a series they neglected growing up. DISCLAIMER: Not my image. I know some are missing.

I am working through Final Fantasy. I am on #5, just starting, right now. Having an emulator that supports fast forward is ESSENTIAL, I feel.

I want to hear what series other people are working through in order, since you're all old-bros here, and are able to undertake long adventures, such as Dragon Quest, etc.
>>
>>3184854
I just started Breath of Fire last night because my friend gave me his copy of Dragon Quarter, and I realized I'd never played any in the series.

The localization on the first one is pretty terrible. However, I hear that they get increasingly better as the series goes on.

I just beat the second boss, who was actually moderately difficult, and now I'm trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do next. It's grind heavy, but I like to watch movies while I grind in these old JRPGs.

I'm going to play Rogue Galaxy after I finish this series, then I'm going to play through another series. Probably Dragon Quest or the Persona series.
>>
>>3184927
The grindiness is super abated by a fastforward button in your emulator. The PSP emulator for Android has one, and it means you can turn on auto, watch TV, and just hit X over and over again to farm and grind.

The translations is a big issue, though. For example, when Playing FF2, I had the choice of about 20 different fan translations. I went with the official PSP port in the end. FF2 was my favorite BTW...

I've never done any Breath of Fires. Are they different from the DQ/FF genre in any meaningful way?
>>
>>3184927
Breath of Fire 2's official localization is pretty bad.
>>
I'm going through several Japanese RPG series in release order to understand more about their history and train my Japanese skills.
I've reached 1990 andfinished were Dragon Quest 4, Xak 2 and Madou Monogatari 2, next will be Megami Tensei 2, Fire Emblem 1 and Final Fantasy 3.

DQ4 was pretty good.
Xak 2 became too easy, though it may have been the PCE port.
MM2 felt lackluster.

I played Legend of Heroes 1 for a while but it was too generic.
I couldn't get into War of the Dead.
>>
Working on Mega Man games. I did 1-6 and 8 when I was a kid. Then x1-5. Never did X6-8. Just beat Mega Man and Bass and am working on Zero. It's a bitch. The cyber elf shit is weeb nonsense.

I did Mega Man I-V on the GB and Xtreme 1 and 2 on GBC. Might do Mega Man: Wiley Wars or the Game Gear guy next. Or Power Battles. Maybe Legends. Any thoughts?
>>
I played one of the gameboy mega man games as a kid and enjoyed it, but then never played another until MM9. I beat MM1 about a month ago and started on MM2, but started having a bit of trouble in some levels (crash man and flash man mostly, I think).

Also just bought Dragon Warrior I, II, and III for GBC.

I started playing a lot of CV1 about a year ago, but so far haven't gotten past Death. Fuck those scythes. I started playing some CV3 as well, but I want to beat CV1 before I really get into it.
>>
>>3184969
I personally only consider BoF 1 a classic. It's a lot like a DQ game. Long and grindy. Boss battles are very drawn out. You need to heal in battle A LOT. I've cleared FF games without having to heal in battle once.
>>
>>3184969
>20 fan translations
You mean FFIV, right? The only non-Square FFII translation I know of was by Neo Demiforce.
>>
>>3186628
Go look inside the TOSEC. There are dozens! And no, I mean II.
>>
>>3184927
Persona 1, 2-1, and 2-2 are great. 2-2 "Eternal Punishment" is one of my top 5 RPGs of all time.

Then there's 3 and 4 where dark and adult is replaced with kawaii desu highschool sempai simulator. All fluff, no content. Your team becomes irrelevant. I finished 3 and killed the final boss with only 1 character at full health.

As for other series, Phantasy Star (NOT ONLINE) is worth playing, especially 1 and 4.
>>
>>3185494
I found the Zero games get easier as you understand the mechanics and figure out the boss order. After I beat #1 which was super fucking hard for me 2 & 3 were only moderately difficult. I didn't go for catching all the cyber elfs or getting S ranks though, that shit isn't fun for me.
>>
I'm going through:

Wild arms. I finished the first one, I'm in the last dungeon of the last one. In the previous dungeon there were enemies with instant kill that hit the whole party. I have one item that makes me immune, but just one. and they also paralize me. It was annoying.
Anyways, pretty generic RPG with a very few good moments and few good characters.

I was also playing through suikoden, but I stopped in the middle of the second one. people say its the best, but I liked the first one better. I own all 5, so I will come back to that later.

Very recently I went through all resident evils.
The first one is very nice, got lost a lot.
The second one is more straight forward, better graphics.
The third has better graphics, also is the least memorable.
The fourth is nice, stupid story, but the gameplay is very cool. By the way, they all have stupid stories.
Oh, you're in a mansion with zombies, umbrella did it. Oh, you're in a city with zombies, guess who did it. Oh, you're in the same city again... lazy. Oh, you're going to save the president's daughter... alone, sure.

Anyways... zero: you're on a train, you end up on a mansion, umbrella did it. Great graphics, nice gameplay, I didn't get lost a lot.
5 is garbage...

I also want to go through breath of fire, but I don't have the second one, it's pricy.
>>
>>3187789
I just finished Zero. I'm a fucking retard and didn't bother with the Cyber Elf shit except to heal on the last boss. I looked into it afterwards and saw how you can use them for permanent health cap increase. I feel good that I beat it (on Wii U) without save states, or even increasing my health, but it was a bitch doing the X fights with only a few hits and a full-recover Cyber Elf.

I didn't do any of the extra shit, either. Ordinarily I like doing extra stuff in games, but never in the Mega Man games. I might go back and X5, or the Power Battle games on MAME. I have a Vita with nothing to do, so I might try Legends soon, too.
>>
>>3184854

I am also working through final fantasy, I'm only at the end of the first one, dawn of souls on the GBA
>>
Played through Ultima, Wizardry and Rance in order.
>>
>>3188328

So, #2 is awesome. You can literally grind all you need in a single battle. ANY single battle. You just block block block, have your team fight itself, use magic on itself, etc. Everything you do in a battle levels up that skill, and if you prolong battles, everyone goes up a bunch afterwards.

This makes 2 the least grindy of them all. 3 was super grindy at the end. Like, I spent an extra day or two going into and out of the final dungeons to farm, grow, then go back to the airship and buy shit.

Did the same thing in 4, actually: the last dungeon required me to grind all the way to the bottom, walk all the way out, shop, heal, then go back in and do it again.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.