[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Altered Beast

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 12

File: sega_3d_classics_2.0.jpg (184KB, 956x888px) Image search: [Google]
sega_3d_classics_2.0.jpg
184KB, 956x888px
Are they trolling us with this collection? It's one thing to only put like 9.5 games in a collection in the first place. Why the fuck would they choose to make one of them Altered Beast?

Is there anyone out there who likes that game at all? It's slow and boring as fuck and even looks like shit. Both Streets Of Rages are way better if they wanted a beat em up in there.

On top of that, why when they've already done Fantasy Zone 2W would they waste time doing regular Fantasy Zone 2 for SMS? It's not even a good 3D port. Does anyone out there understand what the heck they're thinking with this?
>>
>>3183328
altered beast is a good game because you turn into monsters
>>
It's almost as if licensing issues hamper the choices of games they can include or something, right?
>>
>>3183336
Obviously no one is expecting them to port Moonwalker, but there are much better games they already ported they could have included instead. Gunstar Heroes, Space Harrier, Shinobi 3, Sonic 2, Outrun, Afterburner 2, even Ecco The Dolphin all would have been better choices than Altered Beast.
>>
>>3183328
Relax lad. All they did was just localize the most recent collection that came out in Japan. They're probably gonna localize the first collection now which contains Space Harrier, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, and a couple of others.
>>
File: ab.jpg (188KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ab.jpg
188KB, 1280x720px
>>3183328
I like Altered Beast. It's a nice, wordless fairy tale classic. Resurrection, metamorphosis, Underworld, a demon king, a princess. It's a nice little game. It was an amazing game in 1988 and to me still hold its charm. And on top of that, the box art is amazing.
>>
>>3183328
My main concern with this pack is not having Power Drift as a separate title, because I already bought every other game in it (that I wanted) from the eShop.
I like Puyo Puyo as well, but it's not he kind of game that would be worth an added 3D effect.
>>
>>3183448
No, it's a dumb game which biggest claim to fame was being packed in with the first Genesis consoles.

>It was an amazing game in 1988
Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man 2 and fuckin Mario 3 were amazing games for 1988.
But the cover was really fucking incredible.
>>
>>3184298
Don't forget that the collection has a slightly improved version of Galaxy Force II and the eShop version will never get updated. The same thing happened with Space Harrier in the first collection.
>>
File: archives.jpg (287KB, 891x919px) Image search: [Google]
archives.jpg
287KB, 891x919px
>>3183328
The lineup is what is because this is actually the second physical collection. The first was only released in japan. Why they didn't release the first one first or the double pack is anyone's guess.
>>
>>3184450
The reasons are obvious.
The first collection didn't have Sonic, and the double pack would have sold for about $50 and no one would have bought it at that price.
>>
>>3183356
Were you aware that another pack exists, and that our first release is actually Volume 2?

And they probably held back their big guns like SoR2 or Gunstar Heroes because they know that they'll sell well on their own anyway.
>>
>>3184541
I think it's mostly timing, SoR 2, Gunstar Heroes and others aren't there because they were still being developed when the collection was being put together.
>>
File: 1462063745638.jpg (128KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1462063745638.jpg
128KB, 600x600px
>>3183328
I would buy right now if it had outrun :(
>>
>>3185574
I already bought almost every damn game in the collection and I'm tempted to get it anyway

I am dumb/an addict
>>
The SMS games are because they were actually 3D with 3D Sega glasses back in the day.

Volume 1 had SMS outrun 3d and space harrier too
>>
>>3185716
Likewise vol2 has maze walker, but instead of a second 3D game they pack in both fantasy zone SMS games.

Still really hoping for volume 1 to make it here, and for a volume 3 to come out as well.
>>
>>3185574
OUTRUN AGAIN? Sega did more than 20 OutRun ports and you want more?
>>
>>3185824
Yes
>>
File: suzuki8.jpg (71KB, 321x600px) Image search: [Google]
suzuki8.jpg
71KB, 321x600px
>>3185824
This one has hot new jazz fusion jams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv5ghTgSFiM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uQKvROvU8M
>>
>>3183328
I always thought people loved Altered Beast, after playing it I realized how retarded and slow the same is.

But I am rocking the collection on Steam -- the community mods are pretty fucking awesome -- Sonic mods, "Chill" versions of Comix Zone and SoR2 (infinite health), and a mod for SoR2 where the enemy death sound is replaced by that Tim Allen grunt from Home Improvement.
>>
>>3185815
Would have been interesting if they had added an optional effect to the SMS games to make it look more like it would have with the Sega 3D glasses with the essentially lowered frame rate/perceived flickering though.

I kind of have doubts about them having plans to release volume 1 in NA because of making SMS Fantasy Zone unlockable without requiring save data from volume 1.
>>
>>3185824

And how many are arcade perfect? And portable?
>>
>>3183328
Ken must've been stoked to draw this
>>
>>3187050
Part of why I bought it was to get vol 1 in America, I would like a portable space harrier.
>>
>>3184465
they could have sold the dual pack at $30 and it would have pushed a lot more sales and the work to translate it would have been nothing
>>
>>3183356
outrun is impossible because ferrari anon
>>
>>3183328
It's a classic faggot. And one of the few arcade games todays younglings might be able to beat. Just think how proud you'll be when you can finally say "I finally beat an 80's game"
>>
>>3187984
*Outrun 2 is impossible because Ferrari

ftfy
>>
Wise from your gwave, faggot.
>>
>>3188117
Bowow wup, faggot
>>
>>3188097
Beaten plenty of 80's arcade games. Altered Beast still sucks mad dick.
>>
The fact that it's the Mega Drive version is stupid. I guess they couldn't get past that emulation audio glitch that was on the PS3 collection?
>>
>>3187816
The dual pack contains a separate box and cartridge for each collection. I doubt any publisher wants to pay double the manufacturing cost and sell at reduced price. Could they put them on one cartridge? Probably, but that would also come at the cost of paying someone to do so which can often be complicated because it may require members from the original team to do so.
Besides that, at $30 they'd be selling each of the 13 non-SMS games for less than half price as on the eShop. Profits that abysmally low would give them even less reason to continue making these games.

>>3188314
It's because the arcade version doesn't have paralax scrolling and wouldn't have as nice of a 3D effect.
>>
>>3183448
Box art is great. It sounds like it should be fun. But even as the first 16-bit game I ever saw first hand and played, even then I thought it was kind of shitty and ugly.
>>
http://www.seganerds.com/2016/04/28/fantasy-zone-found-in-us-3d-classics-collection/
>>
>>3188707
That is pretty cool. I still wish they had put more into the collection, but Power Drift and Puyo2 are great and the collection is way smaller than the games were. Actually the whole collection is smaller than just Galaxy Force 2 is on it's own, which is a bit weird.
>>
>>3188728
As far as I've heard, the standalone version of GF2 uses streamed audio, the one in the collection has sequenced
>>
Can anyone tell me the complete list of stuff on this that's not in the NA eShop? I'm thiiiis close to handing over my zogbux to buying (mostly) for the same games for the 8th freaking time, I just need that nudge.
>>
>>3189117
Power Drift, Puyo Puyo 2 and Maze Runner pretty much. There's also the Master System versions of Fantasy Zone 1 and 2 but those feel a little superfluous given the Genesis versions.

I'm happy I got it though. Power Drift and Puyo 2 are both really great and the collection saves a lot of space compared to the games individually. Also I just like to support these any time I can in the hopes we'll get more.
>>
I've never head of Maze Walker before. Is it any good?
>>
>>3189414
It's a neat little action game. Cool bit of history too -- I still have the Master system version and the clunky 3D goggles. The music is relaxing too. It's a good game, but probably not a "classic" in the timeless game sense of the word.
>>
>>3184441
What was updated with Galaxy Force? Also, damn Power Drift is fucking challenging. I felt like a million bucks when I managed to beat Outrun on the default difficulty but PD is on another level. Fucking AI is infuriating with pushing you off the track.
>>3189767
The FM music is great.
>>
Why pay for roms?
>>
>>3192060
They're not roms, anon
>>
>>3183328
Funny enough, last night my bud and I saw this in the store and he went, "Holy smokes. This has Altered Beast. That's the only thing ai'd even play from this thing."
>>
File: Untitled.png (30KB, 609x337px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
30KB, 609x337px
>>3192065
Acktually, 7 of them are. (Puyo Puyo is in a different directory.)
Altered Beast, Fantasy Zone 2, and Sonic can be played in other emulators.

The NEW/OLD Fantasy Zones don't run as Master System games, so they might be arcade roms.
Maze Walker runs, but has heavy visual glitches due to being patched for the 3DS.
Puyo Puyo 2 is in a CCF format. Idk, probably another arcade rom.
>>
>>3192101
They're different games than the arcade/Genesis versions they are based off with different options/updates
>>
>>3192053
Galaxy Force II now has emulated music instead of streamed and the framerate might be a bit more consistent.
>>
>paying for abandonware
>current year
Let me guess, you also like GOG?

Impolite sage for 3DS game on /vr/.
>>
>>3192247
Equally impolite bump for the glory of M2 and GOG :^)
>>
>>3192247
Announcing sage is against the rules
>>3192096
You and your friends have shit fucking taste, Galaxy Force 2 BTFOs any Star Fox game and Fantasy Zone is a classic.
>>
>>3192309
>Announcing sage is against the rules
You're confusing sage with reports.
>>
>>3192259
>glory of M2
What glory? All they do are ports and rehashes.
>>
>>3192316
>Submitting false or misclassified reports, or otherwise abusing the reporting system may result in a ban. Replying to a thread stating that you've reported or "saged" it, or another post, is also not allowed.

Silly filly.
>>
>>3192342
That's modern 4chan's rules. /vr/ conforms to retro 4chan's rules where visible sage was fine.
>>
>>3183328
Reeeeeeeeee fuck you kid go leave this place is for consenting adults. It is clear that you are underage
>>
What's different about the old and new versions of MS Fantasy Zone? All I noticed is that Old has the Sega Mark 3 logo and the "PLAYER 1 START" screen is black/white instead of Green/Black
>>
>>3192317
>shitposting the Criterion Collection of /vr/ games

You sure you're old enough to be here kid?
>>
>>3192448
Yeah, I played and beat all these games when they were actually relevant.

You're probably too young to even remember what a Master System is.
>>
>>3192101
Acktually, Fantasy Zone II W is a complete port from the source code, and none of those are "arcade roms". They're all conversions, some of them using the original code, but conversions nonetheless. Before you decide to be an ignorant ass how about you go read M2's incredibly detailed interviews?
>>
>>3192547
Developers always say that shit and end up delivering an inhouse emulator with encrypted roms anyway. As was the case here with Puyo, Altered Beast, Sonic, etc. I don't trust them.
>>
>>3192568
Altered Beast has new background details you fucking idiot, final boss, go check
Oh wait you wouldn't know because you don't play their stuff
>>
>>3192572
You're right, I didn't know that.
>>
>>3192568
emulate yourself a Sega GigaDrive then imbecile
>>
>>3192587
Holy fuck you mad.
>>
>>3192101
I'm confused, are there roms or not? If so can we extract them and play on an emulator?
>>
>>3192247
>games that Sega made and still own the rights for
>abandonware

There's that meme again
>>
>>3192601
>siding with patent lawyers

There's that meme again.
>>
I'm sorry but I don't trust SEGA at all, when Taxman made that Sonic CD remake with his own proprietary engine he said they had lost the source code and everything had to be reprogrammed from scratch.
>>
>>3192604
>knowing what abandonware means ur evul corporatist one percent man

There's you being a dumb faggot again.
>>
>>3192607
Enjoy throwing your money away to people who didn't even originally create the games, I guess.

You're just as dumb as the people that bought Megaman Legacy Collection.
>>
These threads usually attract zero shitposting. Is it really just one guy?
>>
File: NRjDE1e.gif (1MB, 246x216px) Image search: [Google]
NRjDE1e.gif
1MB, 246x216px
>>3192547
>post my findings from digging through the game's files
>there are files placed in a folder literally called roms.
>hoping to find insight from someone more knowlageable than I
>get called an ignorant ass instead
I'm not sure why I expected anything else.
Thanks for mentioning the interviews. You could have acted like less of a dick about it.
>>
>>3192612
>Enjoy throwing your money away to people who didn't even originally create the games, I guess.

Yeah, that's not what abandonware means you fucking statist liberal faggot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

Oh by the way, the designers of games can block the release of the game if they want. And last I checked, Reiko Kodama is still alive and can object to Altered Beast getting re-released if she wants. Even then, Altered Beast was made under the auspices of SEGA. Know what that means faggot? It means the company owns the property from the project's inception. Individual authorship doesn't factor into it at fucking all.

Goddamn I'm sick of retards here not knowing shit,
>>
>>3192630
But I'm entitled to free things, anon.
>>
>>3192596
Yes, the ones that I said work will run in any other emulator. They're compressed, but a program called mdftools (mdfCompressor/mdfDecompressor) will output a working bin file.
>>
>>3192636
Yeah, and I pirate shit too, but at least I know what words mean and don't twist the definitions to justify how much I hate a company and what I download.
>>
>>3192654
Imagine that you were a poor person and never got to play Outrun or Space Harrier in 3D. Wouldn't that be upsetting to you? Keep that in mind before you become angry at other anons who say things that may seem incredibly retarded. You don't know the suffering they may have endured.
>>
>>3192465
>sperging out about "games that aren't relevant anymore"
>on fucking /vr/ of all places

Underage shithead confirmed.
>>
>>3192843
>calls that post sperging
Hello tumblr.
>>
>>3192713
>may seem incredibly retarded.
>may seem

No, that anon was objectively being a dumb nigger and deserves to be called out.
>>
>>3192859
>obsessively refreshing the page looking for (You)'s
Keep sperging, sperg.
>>
>>3192843
They aren't relevant, though.

Do you think buying games 30 years after their initial release is giving back to those same developers? Haha, get real, kiddo.
>>
>>3192870
Keep being a melodramatic exaggerative little bitch, bitch.
>>
>>3192875
>>3192879
How about you faggots stop shitposting and let people discuss this collection? How pathetic is your life that you waste your time complaining about games you don't own?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IADVO_Fzy0U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bDw6J16zIw

I like the credits for the later 3D classics. The collection has an all new one along with 3D FZ2 and 3D Thunder Blades credits
>>
>>3192875
It's giving to m2 though who I fully support.
>>
>>3192347
/vr/ didn't exist in old 4chan you fucking pleb.
>>
File: 266969-h1.jpg (114KB, 620x352px) Image search: [Google]
266969-h1.jpg
114KB, 620x352px
>>3192568
Even if you can still run the rom files from the 3DS ports in an emulator, it doesn't mean they didn't put a fuckload of work into the 3D aspect of them. That's what makes these ports really shine, and so much more than just roms.
>>
Volume 3 will be awesome.

Sonic 2, SoR2, Gunstar Heroes, Super Hang On, Afterburner 2 and probably 2 new games
>>
>>3193198
>M2
>worth supporting
I sure love all those original games they make.

OH, WAIT.
>>
>>3192638
Kega Fusion/PC emulater support for Giga Drive when? The extra video hardware will help alot with the Genesis.
>>3194309
M2 is already moving to the NX.
>>
When I heard they were doing a 3d classics I thought they were gonna port all of their model 3 games but I guess not...
>>
>>3194360
3DS does not have enough power to emulate them.

Also they moved to NX.
>>
>>3194360
Actually, that could be on the cards: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/271511/Upgrading_history_How_M2_created_3D_versions_of_classic_Sega_games.php

>"Model 3 might actually be easier than Model 2," says Horii. "We’re obviously interested, but Sega would have to make the business call there. We’ve mostly been focusing on getting Game Gear and 3D Classics working, so there hasn’t really been any time to research much outside of that. If the opportunity presented itself, I’d certainly consider it."

Not on 3DS of course, not that you'd need 3D to enjoy HERE COMES THE BOSS The Game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn5PMH8ymwA

>>3194319
They've always been a porting/remastering house first, but they just released a visual novel as well. Fantasy Zone IIDX is practically a new game vs. the original, and the ReBirth games count as originals.
>>
>>3194379
But Fantasy Zone 2 DX was made with a real System 16 board, the ReBirth games were 100% PPC750 coded.
>>
>>3194379
I hope so. I want to be alive when they finally port scud race and emergency call ambulance to something
>>
>>3183328
SMS Space Harrier 3D was on the Japanese version.

But not the West.

Fuck this gay Earth.
>>
>>3194818
That was the other one
>>
>>3194352
>M2 is already moving to the NX.
>>3194370
>Also they moved to NX.

what a waste
>>
>>3194426
I will immediately buy whatever console Scud Race is ported to, no joke.
>>
Altered Beast is great
>>
>>3188314
What >>3188342 said and also deadline issues.
>>
For anyone getting the collection, check page 63 of the manual for website address for a survey. They ask what other game you'd like as a 3D classic.
>>
>>3183334
/thread
>>
>>3183328
Altered Beast is the pop-music effect of retro gaming.

Play a mediocre song on the radio over and over again until the sheeple think they like it and end up buying the album.

Altered Beast was bundled with the Mega Drive and people think they love it, because they played it a lot, but they only played it a lot because they didn't have any other games.

It's literally artificial fun.
>>
>>3196054
3DS is getting killed off early next year (Game Freak's Sun & Moon is the 3DS' last AAA game) so of course thy are moving into next gen.
>>
I think I'm the only person in the world that likes Altered Beast. I don't love it by any means, but I enjoy a romp through it every now and then.
>>
>>3200151

I like it too.

>>3200023

It's not amazing but certainly worth playing through to completion at least once. I hardly see how its terrible or "artificial fun".

"Artificial fun" doesn't even make any sense.
>>
File: kermitthefrogkermit.jpg (28KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
kermitthefrogkermit.jpg
28KB, 300x400px
>>3200030

>tfw you JUST got a new 3DS

welp at least I have a huge backlog on this hunk o junk
>>
>>3194379
I was just thinking about how a 3ds port of Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter would be awesome, but a port of Scud race and Spike Out on the 3ds would blow me away.
>>
>>3200023
Altered Beast may be the god of the anti-classics, over eurocrap like James Pond 2: Robocod, Alfred Chicken and Soccer Kid.
>>
>>3200030

Theres absolutely zero evidence of any of this. Its complete conjecture.
>>
>>3202207

welcome to /v/ 2.0 kid

/vr/ is gone
>>
>>3202207
Think again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Lt-6JHh3Y
>>
>>3203161
Thank fuck. Maybe the NX will be a return to form for Nintendo that's sorely been missed since the Gamecube. All of Iwata's systems have been gimmicky trash, especially the Wii U.
>>
File: gauntlet4.jpg (170KB, 736x1046px) Image search: [Google]
gauntlet4.jpg
170KB, 736x1046px
M2 thread?

This game is pretty underrated, probably the best in the franchise.
>>
>>3203168
The NX is a proprietary mobile device from Nintendo. It's got two street dates: one for the dumbphone, and then six months later for the dock that plugs into the tv so you can use it like a controller.

Nintendo is essentially giving up on consoles, they're going mobile/tv dock and sticking with handhelds.
>>
>>3203189
Game Gear Gunstar Heroes was pretty good for a cut down port
>>
>M2 will never continue the Neogeo station
This saddens me
>>
>>3203194
NX is a console, handhelds can't reach that level yet.
>>
>>3202207
>>3203161
>>3203168
>>3203194
>>3204236
Not retro, shut up or fuck off back to >>>/v/
>>
File: fish girl_1000x667.jpg (48KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
fish girl_1000x667.jpg
48KB, 1000x667px
>>3204310
lol
>>
>>3204326
VC talk is retro.
>>
>>3203194

>yet Zelda U and Dragon Quest 11 are confirmed for the NX

uhh...you sure about that there thingy being a handheld, m8?
>>
>>3205041
DQ11 is a 3DS port as the PS4 version is co-funded by Sony.

Also handhelds can out beat the Wii U easily now of days, lower rez for battery reasons but still.
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.