[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't people like this game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11

File: folder.jpg (36KB, 475x347px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
36KB, 475x347px
Other than the fact that the masses are retarded, why is this game considered terrible? It is literally one of my favorite games ever. This is one of the few gaijin developed RPGs that was ported to several Japanese platforms (SFC, Marty, X68K). I understand the translation is shit, but it's nothing that makes the game unplayable. It had beautiful graphics for its time. The music is wonderful, haunting at times, and immersive. Kemco's 'remix' gave it that Shadowgate/Uninvited horror excitement factor. One review in particular claimed this game is "only for the patient". Please explain to me why you hate it, sperglords of /vr/.
>>
>>3183160
This board only listens to YouTubers, they won't touch this game with a ten foot pole because Joey Fagface said it sucks.
>>
>>3183160
Way to prove you have shit taste. Oh wait, this is an anime board. Of course you have no clue about what doesn't suck.
>>
Fact - This game is way better than Earthbound.
>>
>>3183230
Also better than every single game released for N64.
>>
>>3183230
>>3183232
Good ol' /vr/, you can always rely on them to take the easiest route
>>
>>3183193
Who is Joey Fagface?
>>
>>3183160
horrible combat and a very buggy game
>>
Love this game and played the shit out of it. When i was working in Japan i sought out Drakken 2 which is a real disappointment.
>>
>>3183245
If by horrible, you mean delicious. The only bug I can think of off hand is that you receive 2 items at a time - a torch/empty phial/key and a staff/ring.
>>
>>3183243
This is exactly how I feel when people mention legitimate YouTube personalities.
>>
File: drakkhen3.png (8KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
drakkhen3.png
8KB, 256x224px
>>3183160
Maybe another version is better, but that's one of the worst SNES games of all time. You also say it had beautiful graphics though so maybe we played completely different games.
>>
>>3183298
>worst
According to who? Read the first line of the OP. The masses are retarded. You sir, can ride with them. Now, for the obligatory faggot, FAGGOT,
>>
>>3183298
>FOR ITS TIME
>>
>>3183298
OP wants to know why you hate the game. Not some rhetorical copy/paste bullshit.
>>
>>3183298
If you never played the game long enough to find any of the tears, your opinion is worthless.
>>
I really don't get how anyone could say something like that of Drakkhen of all games, but if you enjoy it it's good for you I guess.
>>
>>3183329
Person who never made it out of the first area detected.
>>
>>3183329
Reading level: Infant. Explain why it's a bad game. That's what this thread is for.
>>
>>3183312
>Now, for the obligatory faggot, FAGGOT,
Of course, call people plebs unless I defend a shitty game and then yell faggot a lot. Classic, /vr/. Why would I want to have an actual debate with someone like that? Tell yourself you enjoy it if you want, no skin off my back.
>>
>>3183338
Too bad you can't give a single reason it's a bad game other than someone on the Internet said it is.
>>
Ah, so it's a troll thread.

Okay.

Sometimes I wish I had as much free time on my hands as you kids.
>>
>>3183345
It isn't a troll thread. I love this game. I want someone who has played at least 50% of the way through it to explain to me WHY this is considered a bad game.
>>
>>3183345
It was the first RPG released for the SNES, and I was introduced to it at the same time as Final Fantasy II. I rented both at the same time and guess which one I played more?
>>
>>3183349
Why should I even give you the privilege of doubt after you've behaved like a gratuitous prick?

I'm happy for you that you've a found a game you've enjoyed, but coming here with such an antagonistic attitude and obvious inferiority complex ain't gonna make me waste any more time on explaining what I liked and what I didn't like about Drakkhen.

Come back when you can type like an adult or go back to>>>/v/
>>
>>3183343
I have no incentive to give reasons. Most anything I say could be taken as opinion to which you'll just respond with more trashtalk and swearing. You have no an actual discussion and you know it. If you want to get pissy about people not liking this game you'll have to do it at someone else.

>>3183345
It's sad eh?
>>
To be honest, it's a damn shame the Internet didn't exist prior to the Golden Age of Video Gaming. Video games should have been reviewd by hobbyists since day one. Anyone who reviews games for a living isn't going to give every title that comes their way the same attention - especially if the game starts out rough and tough. As someone who has played hundreds of RPGs, I don't think this game is bad at all - however, if you didn't play this game before all of the classics, how can you fairly judge it? You have been tainted by what has come later. It's like when people call games 'dated'. New games are cancer and they ruin potentially great experiences for this garbage generation. If you played through this game and think it sucks, fine. If you discarded it the first time you died, you're a spoiled piece of shit faggot that has no business calling themselves a gamer. That is all.
>>
>>3183373
>New games are cancer and they ruin potentially great experiences for this garbage generation.

Hot opinions kiddo.
>>
>>3183160
It's French
>>
>>3183380
This is fact. You are inferior as fuck. Let me know whenever you want proof.
>>
>>3183160
I played it back in the day, for PC, in glorious CGA graphics. The best thing about it was the story book in the (pretty huge) box, pretty much a short novel explaining the whole thing, gets you totally pumped up for the game and then...It turned out to be pretty lackluster. The 3D fields were interesting (but disorienting due to lack of detail) and combat was pretty messy. I give it credit for the short novel and having a bunch of interesting ideas, but it's not a great game.

I also recall it loading waaay too much, which back when the entire game loaded from floppies, made exploding a bit tedious. This doesn't apply today though.

3/10 at least it tried. Not shit, specially at the time, but not great either. I got a bit of a soft spot for it, but eh, played better at the time.
>>
>>3183385
What do you even mean by inferior? I give you credit for not just saying cancer for the millionth time, but it doesn't make much more sense.
>>
>>3183380
Hot jizz in your mother's eye, virgin.>>3183381
>>3183381
>It's French [sic]
The original is, sure, but I don't understand why you're pointing this out. The SNES version is Japanese.
>>
>>3183392
>The SNES version is Japanese
no excuse
>>
>>3183160
>One review in particular claimed this game is "only for the patient".

Which reviewer was that?
>>
>>3183387
IMHO, the PC version is worse for several reasons:
1) Difficulty: The game is way harder. A truly unforgivably tough game.
2) There is no in-game map or compass.
3) There are no messages when you receive items from enemies.
4) The music is trash.
I'm sure there are others, I just have things to do and don't want to spend any more time on this post. I've chosen not to bitch about the number of colors, because there is a VGA version which looks decent enough.
>>
>>3183405
It was a review from the time in which the game was released -> Computer Gaming World, Issue #111
>>
>>3183414
lol okay now I know you're just trolling.
>>
>>3183421
Dude - I got it from the sources of the Wikipedia page for the game.
>>
File: 1123518948315.jpg (7KB, 256x144px) Image search: [Google]
1123518948315.jpg
7KB, 256x144px
>>3183430
>I got it from the sources of the Wikipedia page for the game.

Way to go kid, thanks for admitting this is your first troll thread on 4chan.
>>
File: drakkhen.jpg (115KB, 400x374px) Image search: [Google]
drakkhen.jpg
115KB, 400x374px
>>3183430
That's nice. On top of having personally played this steaming pile of RPG garbage, I was a subscriber to CGW for 20 years and they didn't like it either. Cherry picking quotes about games you've never played you can troll and shit up the board is some weak shit. You must have a really sad life.
>>
>>3183437
>Never played
I beat the fucking thing at least 3 times, and am playing through it again currently. You know what they say happens when you assume? I bet you like Earthbound, you fucking weeb faggot.
>>
>>3183460
> I bet you like Earthbound, you fucking weeb faggot.

Nope, not even a little. At least I based my assumption on you clearly quoting a review out of context. You just make grand sweeping assumptions and then call people faggot over them. That's pathetic any way you slice it.
>>
>>3183470
>out of context
In plain English, if you are patient, and give this game a shot it's awesome. It can only take you where you want to go, and it has been taking me there for 25 years.
>>
>>3183160
>This is one of the few gaijin developed RPGs that was ported to several Japanese platforms (SFC, Marty, X68K).
There's more on the PC98 and the PC88. x68k had a different niche. I haven't done a full count but the Towns could have more foreign than domestic RPGs.
>>
>>3183483
> if you are patient, and give this game a shot it's awesome.

What sucks is that had you started a thread with a sentiment like this instead of "masses are retarded" there might have been a good discussion. But when you start right off the bat with a shitty attitude acting like a big dick and who would want to talk to you about anything?
>>
>>3183705
The masses aren't retarded? Do you think this is the first thread I ever posted? If I wouldn't have thrown in that part I'd have been lambasted with "EVERYONE SAYS THE GAME SUCKS", "SORRY NO ONE LIKES WHAT YOU LIKE", etc. I asked a simple question. WHY do people not like this game?
You, and anyone else that was offended by common sense truth, can suck my cock. I am going to say what I want, where I want. Although it wasn't my intention, I will insult whoever I god damn wish. You sir, win the Faggot of the day award.
>>
>>3183460

I like Earthbound, it's certainly a better game than POS Drakken.
>>
>>3183868
Lol the game sucks dude
>>
>>3183868
You really don't understand why acting like a complete asshole makes people not give a fuck what you think or want to waste their time talking to you, do you?
>>
>>3183889
And yet you're still talking to me. Epitome of a moron.
>>
>>3183889
>claiming the masses are retarded
>acting like a complete asshole
You're the only one acting like an asshole.
>>3183882
>>3183885
Give me a reason as to why it sucks or insert a dildo in your anus. Earthbound is a pile of shit Dragon Quest ripoff - Drakkhen is one of a kind. Neither of you have played it, so your opinion means nothing.
>>
>>3183929
Even still I feel kind of bad for you. All this anger can't just be about video games, and the foolish part of me keeps wanting to help you not be such a jerk. You make it really hard though.
>>
>>3183946
I feel bad for you because you didn't enjoy the epic adventure that is Drakkhen. Did I mention, this is probably the first game where you could strip a female character down to her underwear? You sure you're not a fag?
>>
I knew a girl that managed to beat it.

By the way, she is a female.
>>
>>3183967
>this is probably the first game where you could strip a female character down to her underwear?
Am I missing some additional factors? There had been games that didn't stop at underwear for almost a decade when Drakkhen came out.
>>
>>3183984
Perhaps, but they weren't on SNES.
>>
>>3183990
Life didn't begin at SNES for all of us, kiddo.
>>
>>3184059
>i am 100
>look at me
>>
>>3184059
I'm almost mid 30's. It didn't begin at SNES for me either, but no console game that I know of had that kind of 'lewdness' going on here in the States. I really doubt you're Japanese, and the Internet was hardly a thing in 1991. Where are you going with this?
>>
So, just what the hell was up with the game, anyway?
Constellations that attack you, giant dog heads that pop up when you touch a grave, Henri Matisse paintings and vector objects that try to kill you and of course the fucking I LOVE YOU apparition - were the designers high?.
>>
>>3183967
>You sure you're not a fag?
This is what I mean. Why do you always act like an asshole? Do you think it helps in some way?

Partially naked SNES sprites isn't a very good selling point in my opinion. But like the others say, that was nothing new for games by then. Though not so much on consoles, that's true.
>>
A little late, but thread theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbB7zX84WE0
>>
File: surprise.gif (2MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
surprise.gif
2MB, 300x300px
>>3183938

Drakken sucks because it has clunky graphics, a mediocre story, and laughably bad graphics. Also I find the music just downright boring.

Yes, I have played it so stay mad.
>>
File: umad.jpg (14KB, 390x400px) Image search: [Google]
umad.jpg
14KB, 390x400px
>>3184118

Meant to say clunky gameplay. Anyway it's obvious you're just a shitposter and won't listen to anyone, and will just act like an asshole and not try to have any actual discussion with anyone.

Peace out nigger.
>>
>>3184125
>clunky gameplay
Dat subjectivity!
>>
>>3183313
Even for its time it was a shit looking SNES game. What were it's PC peers?
>>
>>3183320
> if you never ate enough of this bucket of shit to find the corn or nuts your opinion is worthless
Sorry, but no.
>>
>>3183349
Poor graphics, bad sound effects, grating music, confusing gameplay, walk into a room and a lizard man goes WAH WAH then super speeds off the opposite side of the screen, walk too far and a wizard shows up and LOL NOPEs you, walk around at night and get attacked by the stars and one-shot, poorly laid out overworld, terrible excuses for dungeon puzzles, lazy port, lazier translation
>>
>>3183369
>I have no incentive to give reasons.
DODGING THE QUESTION! You are a troll and a liar, and probably a pedophile.
>>
>>3184896
Sounds awesome.
>>
>>3183483
> if you are patient, and give this game a shot it's awesome
That is not at all what the review said. Can you actually read?
>>
>>3184903
Stop being timid, he's def a pedo
>>
>>3183245
So much this. Got this back in high school and I plowed through it, but it just had such a bad combat system.

Plus, the ending was a complete downer. Basically, you're fucked and you ushered in an era of dragons. Kept thinking it was the "bad" ending
>>
Almost zero control in battle
healers dont learn to heal until like level 10 or some shit
one random outdoor battle can ruin your fucking day
for some reason if you walk onto water you all cant swim for some reason and there is no escape
almost zero control in battle, this is quite easily a walking simulator that plays out for you
oh and btw almost zero control in battle

Stop being a fucking contrarian
>>
>>3183160
THE INTRO WAS COOL (FOR ITS TIME)

THATS ABOUT IT,
>>
File: catacomb3d.jpg (101KB, 672x421px) Image search: [Google]
catacomb3d.jpg
101KB, 672x421px
>>3183298
>>3183160
>>3183313
What the fuck is "for it's time"? It's bullshit. I will tell you what, in fifty years all the Call of Duty clones will be looking like shit and some faggots will go like "for its time these games looked great!"

Now compare it to something like Castlevania, Doom, Yoshi's Island or Metal Slug that still look great to this day because of their aesthetics instead of graphic fidelity.

Drakkhen was in its day equivalent of shit like Crysis or Doom 3, bloated tech-demo game that hoped to sell copies based on the 3D gimmick. Compared to other 3D/pseudo3D games of its time like Ultima Underworld, Mario Kart, Catacomb 3D and Wolf3D - it looks like shit and lacks a coherent art direction or it's own visual identity, it's as generic fantasy shit as it gets.

No, I wouldn't call these graphics good, not then, not now. Innovative? Maybe, to a degree. But innovative doesn't mean good (to make a call forward to present time, as evidenced by review scores of Star Fox Zero).

And worst part? The graphics that were such important feature weren't even state of the art back then anymore. Pic related, it's Catacomb 3D - released exact same year as SNES Drakkhen. Despite being pretty much Hovertank 3D with texture mapping, still manages to be more fun, have interesting visual style with that characteristic ID flair, fun gameplay, and oh yeah - better graphic fidelity with not just walls, but texture mapped walls, two steps ahead of Drakkhen - hell, Elite had more technically impressive graphics than Drakkhen, Drakkhen had just floor polygons filled with flat color. In 1991, that wasn't enough to qualify as impressive - okay or decent, maybe. F-Zero, Hyperzone and Pilotwings and SCIV all use Mode 7 in more impressive ways than this - and let's be honest, actual sprite art in Drakkhen is average at best. So we've got average 3D background, and average sprites. Nothing to write home about.
>>
File: Abyss 1.png (7KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Abyss 1.png
7KB, 640x400px
>>3185616
Okay, so I might've picked not the best screenshot (still better than Drakkhen) - here's a longplay.
https://youtu.be/YVRwEHMLerM?t=46s
>>
rented it from some place back in the 90's never returned it, played the fuck out of it and still do to this day from time to time. I never had a manual so I had to feel my way through it and still don't understand what half the staffs and rings even do.

Still, that music was comfy as fuck. I used to go to sleep to some of the nighttime themes.
>>
File: [cooling intensifies].gif (117KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
[cooling intensifies].gif
117KB, 250x250px
>>3185223
ProTip: you can actually walk through the water if you constantly cancel foreground shit with the L+R. You'll cancel, take a step, they'll come to the foreground, cancel. repeat. You can do this forever with the "oceans"
>>
>>3185223
Your priest/priestess literally learns Heal Minor magic at level 2.
>>
>>3185621
>that looks better than Drakkhen
Hahahaha.
>>
>>3185142
I read that in the PC version, you have to backtrack to all of the castles and read the inscriptions on the 'hidden' caskets at the end of the game - no idea why that would have been taken out of the SNES version, but it explains why that "hidden" area is in the first castle, I wondered for years what the point of that was.
>>
>>3184903
>DODGING THE QUESTION!
Nice entitlement there.
>>
>>3185223
Question: How is one a contrarian when they liked the game since they first played it (when it first came out) at age 8 and never had read a review of it? The point of this thread was to find out why people didn't like it. And to be honest, it all seems like 'ain't nobody got time for that' bullshit.

You seem to have difficulty writing, I'd hypothesize you learned the word contrarian on this board.
>>
>>3186343
>And to be honest, it all seems like 'ain't nobody got time for that' bullshit.

The bullshit people don't have time for is talking to trolls who only come here to shit up the board and act mad at people.
>>
>>3186370
>the entire content of your post
The irony.
>>
>>3186380
OP starts his thread talking about how people are retarded. Then goes on to ask why people don't like the game and follows up by taking a review out of context. A review that breaks down quite concisely some of the reasons it's never been considered a good game.

It's a troll topic. It always was. OP never intended for an actual discussion he's just baiting for responses so he can curse at people. That is literally the only reason the thread was made.
>>
>>3183160
I didn't mind the game, until the moment it gave me the best armor in the game and then in the next random battle a fucking djinn destroyed my equipment. Fuck that.
>>
File: drakkhen-001.png (8KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
drakkhen-001.png
8KB, 256x224px
>>3186704
Not as if you can't buy it from the traveling merchants, or loot it from the pyramid over and over :)
>>
File: drakkhen-002.png (11KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
drakkhen-002.png
11KB, 256x224px
>>3186753
>>
>>3185616
While I agree, the fact that Drakken was made by two autistic French brothers gives its graphics a certain charm that I think gives it an edge over something like C3D.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.