[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you use permanent stat increasing items? Do you boost

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (14KB, 128x129px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 128x129px
How do you use permanent stat increasing items? Do you boost someone who has a weak stat or give it to someone who has a strong stat? I can never decide so I end up hoarding them.
>>
I normally give it to somebody with the strong stat. Usually if somebody has a weak stat I'm probably not using that stat much anyway, so I might as well boost the character who does use it. The exception would be health. Everybody could do with more health.
>>
Give it to the one that can use it the most. No point in raising a stat that has no use. Obviously there are factors to consider like how long you have a party member, how much is left until you reach a maximum or whether the raise gets undone by a class change.
>>
>>3181554
I always give it to the person that could benefit most from it. If I have a potion that increases Strength, I'm going to give it to my Warrior. That seems like a no brainer.

It's the others, like a Health Increase, that become more of a puzzle. If I notice one of my characters is significantly lower than the rest more often, then I'll probably give it to them.

Most of the time, when you find these kind of items they're a sort of hidden thing, anyway. So it really doesn't go to waste, as long as someone uses it.
>>
RPG logic tells to buff the one with the strong stat, because specialization is always the key in the genre. Otherwise you will have a bunch of mediocre jack of all trades
>>
I hoard them until I have a reason to use them
>>
I try to have my characters about equal in stats, however characters should be strong in what they are best at. For instance it would be silly to have a mage character who was only average in magic. I think this helps when the party gets split up or a character dies unexpectedly so you aren't SOL and have to grind to become competitive again.
>>
Normally I give them to the character who will use them the best (I'm not giving MP boosters to a fighter) but I like to spare a few HP and attack boosters on my mages and such so they wouldn't die from a tap and could defend themselves when they run out of MP.
>>
>>3181554

Depends on the build I'm going for. Usually I just dump everything on a main.
>>
File: 1459890759672.jpg (133KB, 527x588px) Image search: [Google]
1459890759672.jpg
133KB, 527x588px
I just hoard and never use them.
>>
HP/Def up goes to the squishies unless there's a cover/taunt mechanic

Mag/Str Up goes to the ones with already high Mag/Str

Agi Up generally goes to #2. #1 usually gets 1st turn anyways.
>>
In Daggerfall I generally use Stat-boosting to become a God. Just sayian'
>>
>>3181554
I save them until the final dungeon and then usually give them to the guy who has the best in that stat already to super power him. Rarely I will give it to someone who is severely lacking because it's mostly a waste, unless they need a set amount to qualify for a spell getting learned or something.
>>
I always give specific stat power-ups to the person that specializes in that area, but I sometime will give an HP bonus to someone if their max HP is absurdly low. For example, I gave my golden apples to Rydia in FFIV because she was like 1000 HP below Edge and Rosa.
>>
This madman give all the power tabs to Lucca and Marle.
>>
>>3181831

goddammit
>>
File: 1460345898275.png (66KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1460345898275.png
66KB, 200x200px
>>3181554
>How do you use permanent stat increasing items?

You don't.
Remember all those precious healing items like Mega Elixirs, High Ethers, Barrier Stones or whatever limited resource you could use but you wouldn't because WHO KNOWS WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN, I MIGHT NEED MOAR OF THOSE and you end up one step before the final boss with tons of them, effectively making the moot?

Yep, that's me.
>>
I generally load up the character I like the most.
>>
>>3183395
>Pointless
>>
>>3181554
Don't need them. B^)
>>
File: beefy.jpg (102KB, 1072x976px) Image search: [Google]
beefy.jpg
102KB, 1072x976px
>>3183395
>>
>>3181554

Unless it's someone with obviously overpowered stats for the buff, it always goes to the main character.
>>
>>3183510
>playing games where you don't create your characters
>>
>>3183796
>playing video games instead of tabletop D&D
>>
File: twas_a_fault_of_mine_own.jpg (10KB, 371x98px) Image search: [Google]
twas_a_fault_of_mine_own.jpg
10KB, 371x98px
>>3183770
>>
>>3183796
How is that related? I had favorites in games where I created everyone.
>>
File: get.jpg (66KB, 600x898px) Image search: [Google]
get.jpg
66KB, 600x898px
>>3183796

>playing video games

I can shitpost too, faggot.
>>
>>3183801
If it were easy to join such a thing I don't think I would play vidya ever again.
>>
>>3181554
Jewing, all the time, all the stuff. I remember gathering every piece of fucking clutter in Morrowind with a clepto/OCD Khajit once
>>
File: 1456022773932.jpg (1006KB, 1000x1412px) Image search: [Google]
1456022773932.jpg
1006KB, 1000x1412px
>>3181554
Offensive stat boosts go to the strong
Defensive stat boosts go to the squishy
Speed goes to the slowest because its generally the best stat
>>
>>3183876
Do you have friends? Set a schedule for one night a week or every other week. Get a rule system, learn it and get started.
>>
Should games give you the ability to farm stat boosting items, or should there be a set limit?
>>
It depends on the circumstance... A few examples

>Health increasing item. There's one very weak member on your party and he is at risk of taking damage - give him the item.
>Damage increasing item. There's one member on your party that can perform critical hits. Thus each point of damage is worth more for him, so give him the item.
>Evasion increasing item. Give this to the party member who gets attacked the most.
>Magic / Mana increasing item. Give it to a character who has a very powerful but very costly spell. OR give it to a character who has a good spell, but not enough mana / magic to cast it yet.
>>
Depends on the game and the game mechanics.

Usually I end up hoarding them and never using them though,
>>
>>3183770
This one is strangely amusing. I usually pumped up Crono with all the Magic Tabs I could find, and gave him Speed Tabs until he was at max. I think I had Crono's Magic Attack at eighty or so by the time I got him up to ** after a couple of playthroughs.

Another game I really like to fuck around with in terms of stat boosts is Dragon Quest. I'm doing a Meena/Maya only challenge, and so far have been giving Meena all the seeds. She's about on par with the Heroine at sixty-something. I kicked Psaro's ass pretty soundly (had a couple of roughspots, but nobody died during the whole fight), but I'm probably going to grind up to 99 with the both of them before I go after Aamon (playing on the DS).
>>
File: Maledict.png (290KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Maledict.png
290KB, 512x384px
>>3183506
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil had the best handling of this I've ever seen.

Your character can hold 40 BFG cells (enough for 10 charged shots)

There's about 40 BFG cells scattered around the whole game

If you hoard them all the way to the final boss you can just kick in bullet time and then unload ten charged shots right in his fucking face and win the final battle in five seconds flat
>>
In dragon quest, I thought I read somewhere that if you boost your stats beyond what they should be at your current level it will affect stat increases when you level up.

Say at level 9 I have Meena a strength seed and she gained 3 points. Would the game adjust say... Give 1 less strength increase over the next 3 levels to adjust? If so using seeds until level 99 is pointless
>>
>>3192398
It doesn't quite work like that. Yeah, giving seeds lowers the gain you get over the next couple of levels, but the amount it does is the same, regardless of how many seeds you give. As long as you give them a bunch of seeds at once, it'll still turn out in your favor.
>>
>>3181554
Depends on the game and the ease of acquiring said items. Stuff like +Defense is something a mage can use more of, where buffing their attack is a waste
>>
Give Jeff IQ Capsules.
>>
I dump them all into the main character.
>>
In most games I focus on existing strengths usually, best attacker gets strength stuff (if I know he's going to stay for the rest of the game) best mage gets magic stuff. That sort of thing.

In Dragon Quest I give all the non-magic related seeds to the hero so that he's not such a useless piece of shit. Every game since DQ3 has made the hero a useless all-rounder with shit spells and can't do any real damage so I feel like I gotta do something. Too bad DQ3 didn't have seeds, so you're stuck with the useless hero for the whole game.
>>
>>3193325
I can argue against that with one example. Solo/Sofia in Dragon Quest/Warrior IV was actually second only to Alena in terms of damage, and far less equipment-reliant than Ragnar. They also get some pretty damn powerful spells, as well as useful ones (Zap, Lightning, Return, Outside, Healmore/all/usall, Vivify, Expel, and Fendspell to name a good few).

I really wish that Meena got better stat growth, she's like a blend of Solo/Sofia and Kiryl. At least she wasn't as dumb as Kiryl with the AI, trying to use instakill spells on Psaro.
>>
I throw them away because I'm not a bitch.
>>
Of course you give it to the char who would have the most difficulty naturally obtaining it.
For example a warrior with a maximum str would get it, even if it's more useful on someone else, if it would could permanently set him over the threshold.
>>
Increasing a stat from 20 to 21 is a bigger deal than increasing it from 90 to 91.
>>
>>3181554
Everything goes to the main character. He can't cast spells? Too bad, the intellect nut goes to him anyhow.
>>
I hoard. I'm glad someone else does.
>>
>>3181554
Save them in case I end up in a situation where the game decides to split up my party sticking me with the one guy I never bothered to level up.
>>
>>3194332
This. In some games like SMT it's the only logical choice, because MC is the only character who is always in your party.
>>
When not using an emulator for save states, has anyone saved a game and reset if a stat seed didn't give maximum increase (3 pts instead of 1 for strength seed)
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.