[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

60fps in 5th gen consoles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 1

File: Playstation-Adverts-Classic-1.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Playstation-Adverts-Classic-1.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
is there a list with 3D games running at 60fps for fifth gen consoles? if not, can you recall them? on the top of my head I recall F-Zero X, the Tekkens, IS: Internal Section but not many more... I didn't have a Saturn so I can't tell about it. Can you help me? I'm interested in trying them
>>
>>3179231
IQ / Intelligent Cube runs at 60fps.
>>
>>3179231
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?26920-Games-with-3D-graphics-running-at-60-fps-5th-Generation-Consoles

F-Zero X is the best game on the N64
Einhander is the best game on the PS1

5th gen is worse than 3rd and 4th.
>>
>>3179256
That list doesn't even have Dynamite Deka / Die Hard Arcade listed under the Saturn. Dropped.
>>
>>3179256
>5th gen is worse than 3rd and 4th.
Well gee you don't say. Maybe you should also add that pre-5th gen games entered slow-mo and flickering when they started to underpreform and suddenly 90% of the library turns out to be sub-60fps garbage too. Tying game speed to crt refresh rate was garbage.
>>
>>3179256
>>3179283
you should learn better how to samefag
>>
>>3179231
ayy lmao
>>
>>3179231
I know she's photoshopped, but at the time I wanted to rail her very fucking badly watching this advert.
>>
Gran Turismo had a 60fps mode, but it was limited to one track.

Ridge Racer Type 4 game with a one-track demo of the original Ridge Racer in 60fps.
>>
>>3179256
>5th gen is worse than 3rd and 4th.
It's not worse than the 3rd gen. 4th is arguable. In general I find 2d games extremely boring and shallow despite growing up with them and having more nostalgia for them than 3d games.
>>
>>3179231

Check this thread OP:

https://desustorage.org/vr/thread/3100823/

It is a long discussion of framerates in retrogaming.
>>
>>3179260
>That list doesn't even have Dynamite Deka / Die Hard Arcade listed under the Saturn.

That's cause it does not run at 60fps, moron.
>>
>>3180614
Toshinden 3 had a 60fps mode with greatly reduced graphics. It looks like a SNES FX chip game that way.
>>
>>3181109
and yet they included it. Someone responsible for the game understood just how important framerate is for the game, especially in comparison to the visual effects. That a developer would sacrifice visual effects so much, just to get that framerate consistently is rare, and very cool.
>>
>>3179231
>>3181114
How young are?

You come off as incredibly ignorant if you think framerate is that important for retro games.

I'd worry about other things in game desing. For example, the amount of flicker and slowdown some games have is horrendous. It's immensely distracting and takes away far more than a game just simply running at 30 fps.
>>
>>3181121
>You come off as incredibly ignorant if you think framerate is that important for retro games.
I made no such claim. I said someone in the dev department understood how important it is for the game. Not for games. For the game. Toshinden. I kind of trust the developer's stance more than yours, especially when they're willing to sacrifice something superficial people consider a major selling point
>>
>>3181136
They didn't sacrifice anything. They made the best out of what they had. Getting arcade games to run well on consoles is a tough thing.
>>
>>3181148
>They didn't sacrifice anything
>>3181109
>60fps mode with greatly reduced graphics
>>
>>3181152
Yes you seem to be very young. You're in an age were games are made for consoles. And you're used to that. I get why this doesn't make sense to you.

The games we're talking about were made to run on arcade hardware. The console is just a platform to let you play. You get the experience of the game but at the expense of it being played on weaker hardware. The sacrifices aren't design choices. They're necessary because the game wasn't meant to be played on consoles in the first place.
>>
>>3181159
it is my understanding that the game is having the options of "pretty" and "fast" somewhere in it, that it's not a general down scaling to make the visuals work, but a mode that can be activated or deactivated. Even if it's a consistent downgrade though, the developer opted to maintain framerate, and not visuals. That's a rare decision.

I'd appreciate if you'd stop assuming things about my background, and instead read what's actually being written.
>>
not retro
>>
>>3181169
How can I assume anything else?

You're talking about an arcade game on a console while saying the devs wanted it that way? The devs wanted the graphics and high framerate together. That's why it was on arcade hardware. For that kind of game anyway.
>>
>>3181183
>The devs wanted the graphics and high framerate together. That's why it was on arcade hardware.
We're talking about the console port devs. Also, what they want is irrelevant. What the hardware can do matters. And again, when facing the inevitable, having to do cuts, the vast majority of devs, then and now, would rather sacrifice framerate, than visuals. The fact that they did it is noteworthy.
>>
>>3181189
>The fact that they did it is noteworthy.
How exactly is a shit port "noteworthy"?
>>
>>3181201
>the vast majority of devs, then and now, would rather sacrifice framerate, than visuals

>>3181169
>it is my understanding that the game is having the options of "pretty" and "fast" somewhere in it

>>3181148
>Getting arcade games to run well on consoles is a tough thing

At this moment I'm quite confident you're being deliberately obtuse and misleading.
>>
>>3181210
I just don't get the modern logic of 60 fps being that amazing. Like I said prior. Getting sprites to not flicker, and limiting the slowdown is far more important than having 60fps.
>>
>>3179231
Bloody Roar 1 and 2 ran at 60fps on PS1
Tekken did NOT run at 60 FPS on the PS1, only the arcade versions of tekken 1,2 and 3 ran at 60 FPS.
>>
>>3181224
These kids are under 20 and think fps is the end all be all of gaming. There are people who literally won't play games under a certain fps threshold.
>>
>>3181235
That why I keep question the guy's age. I'm thinking he's 15. His first console was probably 6th generation or 7th generation.

He hasn't experienced how horrible spite flicker and other quarks cane be.

And the cool new "meme" shit on /v/ is 60 fps now. Meanwhile 99% of those kids including the OP have no idea what they're talking about. Just parroting over and over.
>>
>>3181235
I'm in my 30s and I won't play anything under 60fps. That includes significant slowdown (although it's fixable in many cases by emulator overclocking). And 60fps is a bare minimum, not something to be proud of. Good framerates are 144fps and higher.
>>
>>3181240
And I need to stop trying to type with my phone.
>>
>>3181224
>the modern logic of 60 fps being that amazing
The subject was Toshinden 3, not modern games, or modern logic. The arcade reference was running at a framerate the developer considered important enough to keep it. That it's 60 is irrelevant.

>Getting sprites to not flicker, and limiting the slowdown
It's a polygonal game. Not sure if it's running at variable framerate. I suspect the 60fps mode is coded to the framerate, so lowering the visual quality was part of the way to limit slowdown.

>is far more important
To the developer faithful reproduction was most important. They considered maintaining the fluidity more important than maintaining the detail. That's an unusual decision. That's all I said.

>>3181235
I'm not advocating 60fps to be the ultimate goal. It just happens that the reference game they were porting ran at 60fps, and the developer decided to include a mode that maintains this aspect, at the sacrifice of other aspects. I don't even care about the 60. It could be any number. I care about "the same number as the arcade had". In particular if the arcade used frame counting mechanics, maintaining the framerate is important to maintain the game mechanics.
>>
>>3181247
>I need to stop trying to type
agreed. You've been very insulting and wrongly assuming, and glossed over most of the things I said, in order to have your /v/ strawman. That's not a fruitful exchange, that's just plain shitposting.
>>
>>3181248
You're applying modern logic to an arcade port. The fact you're so young and can't see that is getting a bit sad really.

>>3181242
Only a handful of games were actually designed to run over 60 fps. Mainly PC games.
>>
>>3181261
>You're applying modern logic to an arcade port
How is in game logic relying on the exact frames of the animation modern? It's a very reliable low tech approach. How is talking about the decision that developers made two decades ago modern logic?

>Mainly PC games.
during the untextured polygon era of DOS gaming framerates of 10 were normal and 20 was wishful thinking.

during the first EGA platformers period 60fps was a wet dream. It was already quite an achievement to get things to work that fluently.
>>
>>3181270
I'm not talking about retro games.

For example PC games using the Quake 3 engine benefit from running at above 60fps.

>ow is in game logic relying on the exact frames of the animation modern? It's a very reliable low tech approach. How is talking about the decision that developers made two decades ago modern logic?
You applying dank /v/ memes. There can you understand that? Do I need add more memes or maybe some ebonics? Hold on.

Yo its ya boi [insert eceleb] coming at ya. 60 fps is the dankest of the dank fps.
>>
>>3181282
>I'm not talking about retro games.
You might be in the wrong place then.

>You applying dank /v/ memes
I think I gave clean reasoning of how that's not the case. So I'll let other readers decide it for themselves.
>>
>>3181290
>If you want to talk about 60fps being the bare minimum
I don't. If you read my posts you will see that at no point have I made that claim, or even indicated an implication of that.
>>
>>3181294
>And 60fps is a bare minimum, not something to be proud of.
>>
>>3181240
Not necessarily, he could easily be 30 or 40, but he still started to play at the beginning of this century at best (probably later), and is almost exclusively a PC-only fag.

The kind of people obssesed with HD/+60fps.

>>3181242

So I was right apparently ^

If the game runs steady at 30fps there isn't any slowdown retard, and is better to have stable 20 or 30fps than +60 with slowdowns.

Why in the fuck would you want 60fps in Resident Evil 2? Idiot.
>>
>>3181309
>Why in the fuck would you want 60fps in Resident Evil 2? Idiot.
Why would you not?
>>
>>3181309
>So I was right apparently ^
That was not me. It's not consistent with my actual posts either.
>>
>>3181314
You're backtracking quite a bit about what posts are yours and note when there's a clear post chain.
>>
>>3181312
Because its a game with fixed cameras and tank controls, its not necessary and you could not tell the difference unless you are an autist.

Higher framerate matters in racing games or fighting games to say something, games that require more focus on the gameplay so sacrificing visuals isn't so important.
>>
>>3181330
>and you could not tell the difference unless you are an autist.
This is bait, theres literally no benefit to having 30fps over 60fps, anyone who claims to actually want a lower frame rate is just trolling.
>>
>>3181368
>theres literally no benefit to having 30fps over 60fps
There are games, lots of them, that are not reaction based, and would instead benefit from visual detail. Say, 3D point & clicks, or turn based strategy (units eat up the polygon budget like it's nobody's business), but many other genres as well.
>>
>>3181368
30 fps voters are making the assumption that the extra resources will go towards doubling the visual fidelity, and there is a decent point that games that don't require 60 fps could potentially get a free boost in visual fidelity.
>>
>>3179256
>F-Zero X is the best game on the N64
Wrong, although respectable opinion.

>Einhander is the best game on the PS1
Wrong.
>>
>>3181672
What did Einhander ever do to you that F-Zero X didn't?
>>
>>3179231
Kula World and Devil Dice on PS1 are 60fps.
>>
>>3181109
That's because the game removes all textures to run at 60fps mode, textureless surface look like gradients or flat colors. The game plays better, but Toshinden 3 still has a very noticeable input lag.

It didn't matter much to me, I still played more than 100 hours of it.
>>
>>3179231
Smash bros is capped at 60 with some slowdowns.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.