[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NEC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: Classic_NEC_logo.png (35KB, 300x111px) Image search: [Google]
Classic_NEC_logo.png
35KB, 300x111px
What went wrong with NEC?
At the end of the 80s they had everything ready to dominate the video game markets but then they just made one poor decision after the other to squander everything.
>>
SuperGrafx was where it all went wrong. Instead of letting the PC Engine live on into the mid '90s, they should've scrapped it and given the SG a better processor and moved onto that.

Another fuck-up was not designing the PC-FX to handle polygons.
>>
File: NEC-PC-FX-Back.jpg (26KB, 283x599px) Image search: [Google]
NEC-PC-FX-Back.jpg
26KB, 283x599px
>>3178010
I think the PC-FX could have handled 3D hardware via upgrades. It has a large ultimately unused expansion slot.
The PC-98/IBM expansion card version of the PC-FX also had 3D capabilities the standalone version lacked.
NEC also had technology like PowerVR that would have been suited for the purpose.

If they had launched it in 1992 it could have gotten a decent market share and then fend off newcomers with expansions.
>>
>>3178007
>What went wrong with NEC?
You talk about them like they went the way of Sega. They were a computer manufacturer first and foremost, so they just went back to that when the gaming branch failed.
>>
>>3178215
Their computer business failed as well.
>>
>>3178218
It failed because IBM arrived in Japan and because they implemented Windows95 on PC98 series.
Wasn't a bad choice, but surely made things harder for them.
>>
>>3178232
The problem was they gave up the PC98 architecture and switched to IBM compatibles which ended their grip on the market.
They also failed to have the PC-9821 series take over from the 9801.
>>
File: Enishiprofile.jpg (47KB, 278x384px) Image search: [Google]
Enishiprofile.jpg
47KB, 278x384px
How do you pronounce NEC?

You know it's En-Ee-She, right?
As in, Enishi.
>>
>>3178237
Such a disappointment because 9821 are awesome.
>>
>>3178240
If you want to be Japanese. Beware that エヌ・イー・シー is not the same as エニシ.
Normally just pronounce like you pronounce N, E and C. I've never heard it as neck or similar.
>>
>>3178252
Yeah but they actually pronounce it like エン・イー・シー

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGesX806h8w

You're right though it's not exactly the same as エニシ, but close enough. They definitely don't pronounce "Ennu ee shee"
>>
>>3178261
>Ennu
That would be エッヌ.
If you search for エン・イー・シー you'll get linked to エム・イー・シー (MEC because nobody uses it. エヌ・イー・シー is the standard form.
Using エン as the Japanese pronunciation for N might seem correct but it's not.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%A9%E3%83%86%E3%83%B3%E6%96%87%E5%AD%97#.E6.96.87.E5.AD.97.E3.81.AE.E5.90.8D.E7.A7.B0
>>
>>3178269

Yeah you're right, I don't know why I wrote "ennu", I meant "enu".

Anyway, it sounds like En Ee She on the commercial.
>>
Should have had Blazing Lazers be the launch game with the Turbografx instead of Keith Courage.
Should have marketed the system to more than just New York and LA. (This strategy was also used in Japan, but was successful, since nearly everyone in the country lived or visited Tokyo and Osaka at the time) If you want to sell something in a large country, you need to do more than just market in a city, you need a presence in every region, or every majot city in a single region (Boston, New York, Portland)
Didn't even try to localize the games to America, or even hype the games in America in the Turbografx magazine.
>>
>>3178215
>They were a computer manufacturer first and foremost, so they just went back to that when the gaming branch failed.
That would imply they left in the first place. The PC Engine was sold by NEC Home Electronics (NEC-HE), a division of the main NEC Corporation, much like how the PlayStation was sold by Sony Computer Entertainment and not the main Sony Corporation.
>>
I always heard that they didn't want actual games on the PC-FX, they just wanted FMV shit. Is that true? I know there are a few actual games on the system but I heard they were discouraging developers from making them.
>>
File: 120003064.jpg (48KB, 380x384px) Image search: [Google]
120003064.jpg
48KB, 380x384px
NEC inter channel geme kusoge
>>
>>3178215
Sega was an arcade company first and foremost, so they went back to that when the home console branch failed.
>>
>>3178389
>Is that true?
Well, it has the best FMV capabilities, so it may be true.
>>
>>3178379
>Should have had Blazing Lazers be the launch game with the Turbografx instead of Keith Courage.
Funny thing is that the PAL Turbografx does this.
>>
>>3180848
There was Turbografx in Europe?
>>
>>3178379
They also should have had 2 controller ports and the ability to output composite out of the box
>>
>>3180227
Except they didn't. By that point in time, the console business had usurped arcades as their bread and butter. In fact, the development teams had been restructured to reflect this. Go back to youtube, you ignorant underage.
>>
>>3180964
Oh fuck. I forgot about that. Who ever thought that nickel and diming multiple controller ports, and a fracking RCA cable deserves to have their shoes scuffed.
>>
>>3178379
>>3180848
What if they aired Mashin Eiyuden Wataru on US TV as cross promotion?
>>
>>3180890
In France (called the PC-engine)
>>
>>3181286
Probably would've helped, but that would've required effort and financial resources, two things NEC seemed to be in short supply on.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.