[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sega Mega Drive and Genesis Classics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 11

File: file.png (245KB, 586x192px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
245KB, 586x192px
Sega updated all of their MD/Genesis games on Steam to launch from a 3D hub designed to look like a 1990's bedroom. More than that, they've added Steam Workshop support, meaning people can upload "mods" (i.e. romhacks).

https://steamcommunity.com/app/34270/workshop/

So far, most of them are just garbage sonic hacks, but somebody figured out that you can just upload an entirely different ROM and call it a "mod", even if that game isn't for sale on Steam. Currently, Contra Hard Corp is listed as a mod for Sonic the Hedgehog.

I would never pay for ROMs, but maybe this will help popularize romhacking and inspire people to get into it.
>>
>>3175030
>I would never pay for ROMs
Whenever you buy a physical game you're paying for a ROM.
>>
>>3175050

Thanks for the pedantry, anon. Very much appreciated.
>>
>>3175030
I like it just cause of how comfy the UI is.

Bedroom with a CRT in the corner and adjustable time of day.
>>
>>3175030
So, I can't help but notice that I can't actually use the romhacks on the original "Simple Launcher", and the 3D hub runs like crap on my crummy laptop. Is there any way I can jury-rig them to work on the Simple Launcher, or will I just have to bite the bullet and use an unofficial emulator?
>>
>>3175107

The 3D hub has graphical settings. If your laptop can't remember a single low-poly room on lowest settings, perhaps you should consider buying a new laptop.
>>
>>3175210
I adjusted the settings, and it still runs like crap. I also don't have that kind of cash.
>>
>>3175220

Get a job.
>>
>>3175226
Can't. I have bad dandruff and allergies, and that rules out food service, and I'm too much of a basket case for pretty much anything else. Not even the military would want me as a meatshield.
>>
>>3175232

>I can't get a job because excuses

Sure thing bro.
>>
>>3175232
Well ok but be nice and don't make fun of me for >paying for roms

I think I might be dumb enough to get this while there's a sale
>>
>>3175052

I don't really think that anon is being pedantic; misusing technical terms breeds technical ignorance.

People need to stop using ROM as a code word for "software I'm entitled to for free because reasons"
>>
>>3175240
Hey, I'm just paranoid that the next time I download an emulator and ROMs, that's when they'll fucking crack down. Besides, I bought the ROMs in question at a time when I genuinely believed I'd be able to support myself.
>>
>>3175030
Is it possible to load my own roms by just putting it in the folder?
>>
>>3175232

Become a janitor or security guard bud. They barely do anything.
>>
>>3175232
>Learn Black Box testing in a day
>Apply for jobs for a couple of weeks
>Get one on the second try
>>
File: library.jpg (327KB, 1926x1070px) Image search: [Google]
library.jpg
327KB, 1926x1070px
>>3175065
it's cheesy and excessive and fuck I love it anyway

wish I could rearrange the boxes myself, though, or look at them in full

goddammit the shinobi games need to be in order
>>
>>3175249
It does sound rather silly because of how undefined it is.
If they just mean "old" like "copyright shouldn't last more than 10 years anyway" then it'd be clearer to just say "old games."
>>
File: fingers.jpg (64KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
fingers.jpg
64KB, 960x540px
>>3175572
I want a mode where the games are just a pile of bare cartridges in a box and you rummage through them with your hands, maybe with Surgeon Simulator controls.
>>
>>3175572
I wish that they had the correct boxes and labels for each game.
>>
>>3175589
Free money for anybody reading this: NES Cart Simulator. Gameplay: blow in cart, wiggle it and mash reset, etc. Whip it up in Unity and shit it out onto Steam and as soon as some eceleb picks it up for an hi-larious video you're guaranteed to strike it rich.
>>
I like it but I wish the room were better. NewRetroArcade which was undoubtedly their inspiration had a way cozier environment.

Anyway is netplay coming or what? Are they actually working on updates or is this just going to become as is right now?
>>
>>3176141
I also want to know that, netplay would be fucking rad.
>>
File: Segata_Sanshiro_Real.png (2MB, 837x955px) Image search: [Google]
Segata_Sanshiro_Real.png
2MB, 837x955px
>sega will never pay M2 to work on saturn emulation

Good night sweet prince ;_;7
>>
While you-know-who might be Cease & Desist: The Company, Sega is effectively giving you amnesty for the last 20 years of hacks built on the back of piracy for a couple of bucks. This is incredibly impressive when you think about it.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
>>
>>3176323
The sad thing is that I own a bunch of these like five times already, including physical copies, but eh, convenience and bells and whistles and all that, not even mad here, but I don't blame anybody for using free emulators either.
>>
>>3176172
>sega will never pay M2 to work on saturn emulation

That would take them half a year, just to get some games running with basic graphics and lots of glitches.

Sega does not make long investments like that anymore.
>>
I dont even get what the steam workshop is about
I havent seen a single legit rom edit in there
only a million rom hacks from yester year and roms uploaded as roms that are not even the actual rom...

and no full box art? does this have PAL cases also?

and no netplay.
>>
Why does the TV's image seem insanely bright and why are the graphics emulation options mostly non-existent and terrible?

Guess I'll have to go back to using ReShade to get my retro feel.
>>
>>3176401

What do you consider a "legit rom edit"?
>>
>>3176967
one done in steam workshop for the actual associated rom?

like sonic 3, edited in steam then published as sonic 3 new edit v7 no carnival zone up down cylindrical platform ect.

all the ones being published are just rom hacks that where dont by other means years ago
or shit like contra corps mascaraing as sonic 1
>>
>>3176978

You don't modify games "in Steam". You modify them in whatever way you see fit, then upload the modification to Steam.
>>
>>3176979
what the fuck is steam workshop then
>>
>>3176980
A place where you download mods.
>>
>>3176980

A place where you can upload/download mods.
>>
>>3176981
>>3176984
wow its fucking nothing?

thats kind of shit then, I was under the impression they provided developer tools for the games so the community can edit them

what emulator does the steam client use then?
what are the limitations on a 'legal' rom as in, it will run in the emulator, or how can you test your mods

this is stupid, its not a workshop at all.
sega just said yeah upload other peoples work and mods but you have to buy or rom to play it here even though we provided nothing to help develop the mod like source or tools
>>
Anyone found a way to use your own roms without using Steam Workshop?
>>
File: 20160430120639_1.jpg (113KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20160430120639_1.jpg
113KB, 1280x720px
>>3177085
yeah.
subscribe to a mod, find it on disk (\steamapps\workshop\content\34270\?\?) and substitute the file

maybe theres a more elegant way, but it seems to work for now if you really must use it
>>
fuck I was so ready to ignore this whole thing but this is rad as hell.
>>
>>3176996
for just playing games you helped yourself to off the internet, then not much has changed

from a legal standpoint its unprecedented, for a couple of bucks sega gives you permission to download and use hacks, fan translations, decensored patches etc.
a huge load of technically illegal copyright infringing data has suddenly become legal and encouraged
>>
>>3177231
I'd like to have my "Complete Genesis rompack".
Does the name of the folder after 34270 matter or can it be any number?

>>3177240
>>>/v/
>>
>>3177259
It's the same thing with Tabletop Simulator

Are the developer/publisher liable for what it's users does with it's software?
>>
>>3175582
ROM = Read-Only Memory, i.e. the game binary that's programmed onto a chip in the cart. So yes, if you buy a physical game, you're literally paying for a ROM.

Downloading the ROM gives you that game binary in an official way.

If you want to play old games but aren't willing to pay for them (you're not a customer), you're part of the reason so many companies, and specifically their legal departments, are still afraid of emulators.
>>
>>3177275
*Buying a ROM through a publisher just gives you that game binary in an official way.
>>
>>3177279
Too bad you're only licensed to make use of it inside of what was programmed for it to run, i.e. proprietary emulators which could or could not fit your pleasings.

While a game cart is not legally regulated against backups and private modification (please tell me if they are, today's EULAs were still in the making) and runs on its primary device: the intended hardware.
>>
>>3177312
I'm unsure about that actually. I mean, the genesis/megadrive games on Steam give you a straight rom in the game folder, which works in other emulators. As long as you bought it and don't redistribute it, I don't think their legal team would care.
>>
>>3177321
Sounds reasonable. It would also go rather well with all the official portable genesis clones (they're more like software emulators) with an included SD card.

I don't think SEGA even gives a fuck about piracy from recent times.
>>
>>3177275
>game binary that's programmed onto a chip in the cart
People say >buying ROMs for disc based systems also, so it doesn't seem to just mean cartridges.
>So yes, if you buy a physical game, you're literally paying for a ROM.
So >buying ROMs is mocking people for buying (download-version) games for which physical copies exist? Like, if I buy Witcher 3, that's a ">buying ROMs" moment, but if I buy Shower With Your Dad Simulator, it's not?
>>
>>3175065
>The actual Sonic comics on the floor

It's the little things.
>>
It's neat, but... it makes me realize that I own every SEGA game aside from the Toejam and Earl series.

I feel like the next step is to buy a decent Master system emulator, Sega CD emulator, Game Gear Emulator, 32X emulator, Saturn Emulator, etc., and just work on uploading the entire SEGA catalogue.

I'd buy them, 99 cents for a Game Gear game and Seven or so bucks for Dreamcast.
>>
>>3177452
This is what all them classic publishers should be doing. Hell, something like this might even go a long way in restoring Konami's name.
>>
File: 20160429234641_1.jpg (410KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20160429234641_1.jpg
410KB, 1920x1080px
>>3177231
Holy fuck yes. It'd be neat to have this room as a full on retroarch frontend, but this is the next best thing. Immersive shit like this makes me moist.
>>
Well I was drinking and the went on Steam and I bought them all... I don't even know what to do next.
>>
>>3177884
play a game
>>
>>3175030
I can't believe that Sega hasn't fixed their damn emulator, Landstalker still sounds like crap on it.
>>
>>3178076
How crap exactly? Can you put a record somewhere?
>>
>>3177637
I don't think even TVs from the 70's were that curved, also is there any option to play with composite?
>>
>>3178293

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKZoFISdgRY&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>3176323
Yeah this is actually a really good deal.
>Genesis Classic Collection 66% off
>$20 for basically every Genesis game worth playing
>>
>>3179121

Sega and Treasure weren't the only people making great games for the Genesis bro...
>>
Are the versions of Sonic 1 and 2 on steam still not the mobile builds with all the extra shit those have?
>>
>>3178560
ouch

Is that Atgame technology?
>>
>>3177437
Got a shot of those? Is it issues from the 90s or more recent ones?
>>
>>3179121
$20 for nothing? What a steal.
>>
>>3179127
That's why I said "basically" :)
>>
File: 3-1.jpg (45KB, 420x642px) Image search: [Google]
3-1.jpg
45KB, 420x642px
>>3179156
It's the original issues from the nineties. Don't have a cap handy, but they're right by the bed.

This is one of them.
>>
>>3179241
Wouldn't be surprised if Ken Penders tries to make a stink about them. Since he totally invented the concept of Sonic having comics from the 90s.
>>
>>3176396
If you read those M2 interviews it took them a crazy amount to get Power Drift working and the coolest part is when they struggle to get one game perfect they use that knowledge for other games as well.

I think Sega trusts them to do this, they've been in cahoots with M2 for 10 years now.
>>
>>3178560
I'm retarded, I'm not noticing any difference

Also technically wasn't the Kega guy a Sega employee to begin with
>>
>>3178560
I hate to be THAT guy, but how do I know which one is the right one? You compare 2 emulators without source
>>
>>3175220
Turn off v-sync. You have to go to the wall clock in the room to turn off v-sync. V-sync is what's making it run like shit.
>>
>>3175623
Make a hub where you rub your dick on the cartridges, because that does just as much good as blowing on them.
>>
File: out run.jpg (394KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
out run.jpg
394KB, 1920x1080px
>>3177231
Tried virtual racing which failed to load but outrun works with reduced slowdown
>>
>Streets of Rage 2 Except It Makes That Weird Tim Allen Noise When People Die
We're living in the future.
>>
>>3175050
No you're paying for a physical copy and all the stuff that comes with it not just the rom itself.
>>
>>3176996
Calm down it's just something a lot of games use to make it more convenient to download mods by allowing people to distribute through Steam. Though for some games it did the exact opposite like Mount & Blade.
>>
File: img.4plebs.org 1407647040395.png (345KB, 498x568px) Image search: [Google]
img.4plebs.org 1407647040395.png
345KB, 498x568px
>>3179810
>12yo
>lend my cousin a few genesis games
>get them back a month later
>a couple games don't work anymore
>ask him about it
>"oh it's easy, instead of blowing do this"
>takes the cart
>face the bottom of the cart
>spits on it
>plugs into his genesis
>the game works
>pretend it's the coolest thing I've ever seen
>never let him borrow another game in my life

You really should be spitting into your carts, anon
>>
>>3180484
If he was spitting into the carts, that means he was spitting into the console, too. Jesus Christ. Right before I was going to go to sleep.
>>
For some reason emulated scanlines look really strange for me in this emulation collection.
When playing real Mega Drive on my consumer CRT or PVM, they look much better. But here I prefer to keep scanlines off.
3D hub looks great.

Anyone knows why Monster World IV isn't on Steam? There is translated rerelease for Wii/360/PS3, but not on PC.
>>
The emulator kinda sucks but the room is really cool
>>
>>3178462
You can adjust it. And no, no composite, sadly.
>>
>>3180484
>>3179810

This is the reason why blowing works, the breath contains water vapor which fills in the rough edges of the metal, allowing electrical contact
>>
>>3180418
>virtual racing

VIRTUA
>>
>>3180734
but it also causes the problem of corrosion so you should not do this. you just need to clean the contact physically and not get anything wet.
>>
File: cart_sonic_the_hedgehog_2.jpg (478KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
cart_sonic_the_hedgehog_2.jpg
478KB, 2048x2048px
Anyone here familiar enough with Unity to know how to replace textures? I want to make those cartridges look more accurate.
>>
>>3179365
Listen to the screaming sound, it's VERY noticeable because it just sounds wrong in the emulated version

>>3179382
First one is from a real Genesis, second one is from steam emulator. The difference is very noticeable in the sound effect.
>>
>>3180850
>First one is from a real Genesis
It says "Kega Fusion" right there in the video.
>>
>>3180673
is there a way to just replace the emulator
>>
>>3180852
well, it sounds just like a real Genesis then.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.