[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Neo Geo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: intro1.png (10KB, 288x128px) Image search: [Google]
intro1.png
10KB, 288x128px
I want to talk about the Neo Geo!

Quick summary for anyone not acclimated to this system: In the early 90's, the gaming company SNK was making numerous arcade games and decided to make a home system with the exact arcade hardware they used. The games were perfect 1 to 1 ports, but the system was $600 and game carts ranged from $200 to $300 EACH.

SNK made many famous series including King Of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, and Metal Slug, among others.

A Neo Geo CD console was released in 1994 to bring down the cost of games, but due to limited RAM and a slow CD Drive, the load times for many games were horrific.

The Neo Geo is also known for it's insane fan base. A copy of Kizuna Encounter (a subpar fighting game on the neo geo) sold for over $10,000 as it only had about 10 copies printed outside of Japan and was very rare. TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for a mediocre game.

Anyway, what are your favorite games on this system? Which games are mediocre? Does anyone here actually play these games outside of emulation? I still see arcade cabinets of Neo Geo here and there at various places.

I think Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves is the pinnacle of Neo Geo gaming. Great fighting system, great characters, beautiful game, final bosses that are hard but not impossible, easy to understand super system (every characters super move is qcf, qfc and one of the four buttons), and a decent story line.
>>
File: 1441370899665.gif (14KB, 500x596px) Image search: [Google]
1441370899665.gif
14KB, 500x596px
>>3172484
>hay guise
>I just got here from youtube
>I'm totally 18 or older
>>
>>3172484
There are several MVS cabs floating around /vr/ it's a nice simple multigame cab that's a natural step between consoles and cabs before you learn about jamma and various kick harnesses or embark on trying to built a proper mame cab.

Personally I'm still pretty fond of Magician Lord. I still haven't managed to beat that "in the clouds" level even with unlimited credits and I like to think I'm pretty good.

Generally the most popular games are the Metal Slug series or King of Fighters. Mark of Wolves is pretty great and that Ninja Batman game is hilarious.
>>
Rank the Metal Slugs please

I think I'm just about finished with 1
>>
File: neogeo-aes-cart-comparison.jpg (671KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
neogeo-aes-cart-comparison.jpg
671KB, 800x600px
>>3172484
I played a lot of Super Sidekicks in the arcades.
GOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

King of monsters was also fun
>>
>>3172508
Holy fuck you weeb, I was playing the MVS system in arcades throughout the 90's. I never knew anyone who owned an AES - it was a thing of legend when I was in middle school.

>>3172510
I'm going to have to try that one out! I have yet to really play Magician Lord much.

One thing I hate is that most of the fighting games are fun to play until the final boss. Matrimelee is a quirky fun game, but goddamn is that final boss some bullshit.
>>
>>3172521
>One thing I hate is that most of the fighting games are fun to play until the final boss.
art of fighting 2 stops being fun on the second guy, if that helps
>>
>>3172514
Metal Slug 3 > Metal Slug X > Metal Slug > Metal Slug 5 > Metal Slug 2 >>>>>>> Metal Slug 4

Metal Slug 3 is a masterpiece and X fixed everything wrong with MS2. It actually had a decent PS1 port as well.

Also - the censorship SNK did really sucked. even up until the last game released - Samurai Shodown 5 special , they fucked up with censorship.
>>
>>3172525
I never liked the AoF series. I enjoyed the original port on the SNES at my cousin's house when I was a kid because it was one of the few games to do the zoom in and out effect.

They just never played as fun as all of the other good fighters on the system

Also - could we get some KOF series rankings? Am I the only one who loved KOF 2001?
>>
Can anyone tell me why SamSho V Sp MVS carts are so expensive
>>
Due to the prices, the best way to get the games is either emulation, or Wii's Virtual Console.
>>
>>3173585
Multicarts are also a fairly reasonable option - 161-in-1 has about 90 or so actual unique games, and then it's just the cost of an MVS + supergun, which isn't cheap, but it's not as horrid as an AES.
>>
>>3172514
>Rank the Metal Slugs please

3, X and 1 are the only ones really worth playing. 4 5 and 6 are phoned in sequels and not by the original devs. 2 is basically an unplayable version of X due to the sheer amount of lag when playing, you can forget about playing it 2 player either.

>>3174008
Well, consolizing your own MVS isn't super cheap but most consolized MVS" will run around 500 or so dollars. It's not totally unjustified either because you need quite a few silly things like a basically hundred dollar video encoder.

I was looking into consolizing an MVS for a friend, and figured I'd just consolize the jamma harness instead since MVS' aren't super reliable and it would be a shitload easier to swap out the board if you were just plugging it into the jamma harness instead of harvesting your components off the board.

There's really no cheap solution. A cab in decent condition is going to run you 500 or so bucks and most people don't have room for it either.

There are shitloads of Neo-Geo compilations on PS2, Xbox, Wii, and various online services, as wel as emulators so it's not really a big deal though.
>>
>>3172484
I want to talk about the Neo Geo with a bunch of kids who know nothing about it so here's a blog describing it now go google for your favorite games.
tl;dr
>>3172508
This

Best game? Ironclad.
>>
>>3174019
why did they mess up metal slug 2 so much? the other games had a bit of slow down but MS2 is just too much
>>
>>3167842
>I've got an N64, what are some good--
>Fuck you, go ask Wikipedia

>>3177390
>I've got an Odyssey2, does anyone--
>Fuck you, go ask Google

>>3171994
>Just picked up a Game Gear, did I do g--
>Fuck you for seeking our validation

>>3172484
>Hey, let's talk about Neo--
>You don't even own a Neo Geo, fuck you

...Is there *any* acceptable way to start a conversation about a console around here?
>>
>>3179909
Begging for game recs isn't going to foster good discussion because you're not adding anything or bringing anything new to the table: you just want to be spoonfed.

Why are you so desperately afraid of playing video games that you need recommendations in the first place?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.