[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Majora's Mask

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 14

File: legendofzelda2screen1.jpg (83KB, 610x468px) Image search: [Google]
legendofzelda2screen1.jpg
83KB, 610x468px
What were your favorite parts of this game?

The feeling I get when I think back on it is just how great the world building was. I miss it a lot and I'm considering replaying it. Even with how dated it was, there's something I love so much about that OOT and MM aesthetic, the graphics are really dated but there's something so charming about it that warms my cynical heart.

I only played it for the first time 2 years ago, but it really stuck with me.
>>
>>3168596
Clock Town > Ikana > Swamp > Ranch > Great Bay > Snowhead
>>
>>3168609
It was so satisfying to help the people of Snowhead though.
>>
File: majoralinkmasks.jpg (178KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
majoralinkmasks.jpg
178KB, 1000x1000px
>Favorite transformations

Zora > Goron > Deku

Design wise the deku one is definitely the best, and I think it's a brilliant beginning to the game by being withholding with the protagonists turning the player into a sad little deku scrub. I also love the running animation and the little sound it makes.

Zora on the other hand made The Great Bay my favorite part of the whole game. I know some find it a grind to collect the eggs, but the mask contributes the most in terms of gameplay switch-up by far, making Majoras Mask probably the only game with actual fun swimming mechanics, best part about it is it's actually aged well too. The temple was fantastic too, and so was the boss. I've never really heard much from fans of this game in terms of what people think of The Great Bay Temple, but I loved the shit out of it.
>>
>>3168646
What's your problem?
>>
>>3168609
Ikana and the Stone Temple is probably the best thematically in the entire game, and I know the stone temple in particular is a fan favorite. But I really hated how much time you had to spend using Elegy of Emptiness. It brought everything way down for me.
>>
the tricks and glitches, same reason i like OOT.
>>
File: Reggie.gif (650KB, 446x251px) Image search: [Google]
Reggie.gif
650KB, 446x251px
>>3168646
>>3168762
>>
>>3168596
>What were your favorite parts of this game?
When I got it as a gift with the receipt so I could return it and buy a better game.
>>
>>3168646
>>3168762
why don't you polcucks go back to your safe space instead of getting triggered by things that arent even related to whatever you think they are related to :^)
>>
>>3168596
To me, the thing that is impressive is the way that it stands out from the rest of the series. Sure, it gets a lot of criticism for being little more than an OoT expansion pack, but, as short as it is, I think it's unique attributes make up for that, whereas in other games they're just not as good.

For example, the Great Sea in WW is fun, but quickly becomes tiring to travel and the lack of diversity of islands is a real let down. The whole idea of Wolf Link in TP seems pretty cool and appealed to a lot of angsty teens, I'm sure, but, again, it's very repetitive and offers very little engaging gameplay 2bh.

In MM, by contrast, the masks are quick to change in and out of, and I don't think they're overlylaboured. In most dungeons, well, Stone Tower and Great Bay, you can complete vast sections in one form without having to switch a lot and that just makes the gameplay a lot smoother. Similarly, the side quest masks that you collect, although a lot of them are largely useless in terms of practicality, what is good is how they all link into the other side quests and solving the problems that plague the peoples of Termina. Now, if you aren't interested in the whole 'story' side of MM, then I can see how it isn't for you, but if you do enjoy that aspect, obviously, the masks and the side quests are a great way of becoming immersed in the world - at least for a Zelda game anyway.

Leading on from that is obviously the whole 3-day system. I can understand why it's hated, obviously, aside from the first cycle, it becomes clear that you're always going to be able to reset just in time - so it could be argued that that detracts from the 'tension' aspect. The problem is, however, you can't allow for the plotting of the side quests without the time mechanic, so as annoying as saving and resetting is, it's how it has to be. That said, I think any criticisms made about the resetting can be offset by common sense solutions 2bh.
>>
>>3168908
(cont)
Losing your items isn't a big deal, really, because most of the essentials (i.e.bombs and arrows) can be found in Termina field - which you must go through to get to the next area anyway. Fairies are always available by owl statues and the only time you ever really need to buy an item (the powder keg for the ranch) is simply solved by actually using the bank to deposit your money and then you can take it out as soon as a new cycle starts. The other criticism you hear a lot is that sometimes you end up having to restart while you're in the middle of something, like a dungeon, that will reset your progress. Again, common sense, if you're on the Third Day and you're about to start a new dungeon, just reset and start with a fresh cycle - you know you're not going to make it if you don't. The only time you could ever really run out of time is if you don't have the Song of Double Time, but, as with OoT, the game expects you to take some time to pay attention to the information given to you by NPCs.

So, if you enjoy the atmosphere created, and you're willing to look beyond the brevity, I think MM's uniqueness is what makes it popular. If you're not into the whole side-quest immersion thing, then you're not going to like it.

And as I always say, they had a year to make it, and it feels finished. WW was supposed to be the GC debut Zelda and it clearly feels rushed at the end and sloppy. The contrast, to me anyway, is just a clear demonstration of quality over quantity.
>>
>>3168596
The best part was the front of the cartridge was one of those images that'd move if turned it the right way.
The one gameplay improvement was it was cool that Link did flips while jumping.
didn't like the game, collected the zora eggs and said "fuck it".
>>
>>3168923
I kind of like the limitations that the Day 1 reset brings. For one, I always have a problem in games where I feel like I'm always wasting away ammo or whatever it may be in my inventory. Say I find a really great gun in a game and I have 24 bullets in it, it is more likely that I won't use that until I realize I've gone too long without bringing it to use and then forcing myself to use it, all because I didn't wanna "waste" precious ammo.

In MM I don't have this issue. I also think it brought a sense of purpose to the in-game currency that OOT didn't have, or most other games. You're rewarded for using the money instead of attempting to hoard it. A few hours into OOT and my wallet is constantly maxed out, and if it isn't, 3 minutes of grinding will take care of that and then I can afford whatever it is I want.

The game is also very smart about not wasting your progress after resetting, there will always be ways to instantly make your way into the entrance of a temple after you've completed the tasks in the area beforehand.

The three day cycle is one hell of a bump to get over, but if you do, I think most players will find that it benefits the game in almost every conceivable way. I understand the initial reaction most players have to it though, nobody likes being put on a timer. But in this case, it is actually only of benefit to the whole. The sense of dread wouldn't be there if that timer wasn't there, the sense of hopelessness that the people of termina are going through wouldn't be communicated as well to the player if he himself didn't feel the loss of everything going back to zero after every reset.

I still remember how saddening the feeling was realizing that after all my work in Snowhead to help the people, they would go back to suffering just the same after my reset. Everything just feeds back into the atmosphere and theme of the game in such a beautifully cohesive manner.
>>
I can replay mm a lot more than oot, better mini games and mechanics that let the game stay fun when maxed out. OOT gets boring even before maxed
>>
>>3168642

Great Bay Temple is my fav.
I love the technological setting and the twister mechanic. I just wish it had been a bit more complicated, like you actually have turn the dial and reverse direction several times to proceed instead of straightforward play one half in one direction- play the secaond half in the other direction.
>>
>>3168596
Ikana when you have no idea you're about to beat the game.
>>
I want to replay this.

3DS or N64?
>>
>>3169518
>I just wish it had been a bit more complicated

I can agree with this. The biggest weakness of the temple. I can understand them wanting to streamline a water themed temple after the mess that was OOT, but it could have been a tad bit more complex. Still though, there's something so cool about that setting and the underwater currents and machinery, swimming really fast through narrow hallways.

Great theme song too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6gl_uS9hY
>>
>>3169550
Well if you have a 3DS you might as well try that version since you've already played the original. How long ago was it that you played the N64 version?
>>
>>3169494
I don't know which one I like more. I think both are some of the best games of all time. The story of Majoras Mask is definitely better than OOT however, so is the atmosphere and worldbuilding.

I don't know if the temples are as strong, though.
>>
File: glownature.png (2MB, 1790x1007px) Image search: [Google]
glownature.png
2MB, 1790x1007px
A list from a previous post of mine

1. The environments were unique especially for its time really taking advantage of the ram expansion.
2. It focused more on the world building that Ocarina didn't have as much.
3. Less restrictions than Ocarina aside from dungeons.
4. The theme of the game was far different not that edgy in your face bull that people keep trying to pull sure it was a dark tone but it was more gloomy, illusive, and unreal.

I pretty much have the same feeling as you do OP even though I am aware that the graphics are very dated there is a charm to them that I absolutely love. Can't explain what that is though even though I can say that the 3D versions are objectively superior since they are made for a superior system I just feel that they dropped an important aspect and life of the original N64 versions that I can't pinpoint what that it exactly is aside from animations and over saturation.

Aside from loving both equally when it comes to MM specifically it may have to do with me having a lot of trouble with getting the Ocarina back that first three day cycle stuck as a Deku Scrub so I was stuck with OoT. Once I got past that part it was like finally unlocking a treasure finding all of it's secrets I finally knew what was waiting for me these long years. I guess because of me being with OoT for so long and much it made me want something different and although the graphics are exactly the same what MM did with those graphics compared to OoT aside from (most) people was what captured me the most. The environments were a breath of fresh air for having something brand new to journey through and the theme was what gave the game it's identity. It was the first time that I wasn't in Hyrule no Zelda, Ganon, or the Master Sword for that matter in replacement with what suited to the new world you were in.
>>
>>3168642
Goron>Deku>zora for me.
I despise underwaterlevel in general and the zora was played in the areas i didnt like, also i dont like his attack.
The Deku has its nice whirl, he felt nice and was used most in the beginning.
And the goron was awesome because u didnt need epona and could kill enemys/getrupees while running.

My favorite moment is when you dont have the mask and talk to the salesman, with his face expression and the soundtrack behind.
>>
File: 1458011503285.png (529KB, 658x960px) Image search: [Google]
1458011503285.png
529KB, 658x960px
>>3168869
Why don't you faggots go back to plebbit and stay there? Your /pol/ bogeyman meme is forced and fucking lame.
>>
>>3172310
>glownature.png

I still remember that day a decade ago of popping in the rental, going through the trouble of learning it needed an Expansion Pack, and seeing the flip animations of young Link compared to OoT, thinking it was the coolest shit ever, and being turned into that Deku Scrub.

Mesmerizing and haunting.
>>
>>3172310
>The theme of the game was far different not that edgy in your face bull that people keep trying to pull sure it was a dark tone but it was more gloomy, illusive, and unreal.

This is very true. A lot of the fandom will lead you to believe it's the edgiest game ever. But none of it feels try-hard like that. The the dreamy nature of the game shouldn't be overlooked either, everything about it just has this surreal feel to it. Even after you defeat the bosses you enter this hazy and dreamy looking landscape with the giants, comparing that to the OOT counterpart with the Sacred Realm which felt super tied to mythology, whereas in MM you just enter this bleeding inexplicable cloudscape. It's endlessly impressive to me how much they were able to do with the atmosphere of this game, even the start of it is really gloomy and surreal before you even fall down the pit, like that image you posted, look at how absurdly massive that forest is.

All of this comes through in the music as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXtes-dcF5k

This manages to sound both happy, gloomy, dreamy and sad all at once, and I don't even know how.

A 16 year old game running on hardware even older than that, manages to have a more atmospheric and living breathing world than games of today do. We have the 3 Day Cycle to thank for that because it couldn't have been done without it, it is a genius way to compromise for the hardware and nobody has really attempted to do it over because the timer would be too intimidating for a lot of players. It took me many years to play MM because I thought being on a timer would ruin the experience, I couldn't have been more wrong.
>>
>>3172396
lmao triggered polcuck
>>
>>3168869
>implying Gorons aren't the niggers of the Zelda universe and should be gassed along with all the other degenerate non-human species
>>
>>3168596
For some reason I really like that old house full of skulltulas.
>>
File: if video games were kino.jpg (243KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
if video games were kino.jpg
243KB, 1440x1080px
Get /comfy/ with me.
>>
>>3173426
Which? Ocean or Swamp?
>>
>>3168965
>I still remember how saddening the feeling was realizing that after all my work in Snowhead to help the people, they would go back to suffering just the same after my reset. Everything just feeds back into the atmosphere and theme of the game in such a beautifully cohesive manner.
I know that feel. I remember when I first finished Stone Tower I didn't go right away to the Clock Tower and deal with Skull Kid. I'd actually reset, went back and re-did all the Temples, as well as helping as many people as possible from the Bomber's Diary. I knew that the Three day cycle would finally be broken, so I'd wanted to leave Termina in the best state possible. It's a little habit that I still do whenever I replay it now, actually.
>>
>>3173461
Ocean.
>>
>>3173098
poor polcuck, confused and angry outside their safe space
>>
>>3173467

I'd always beat the bosses again and do the Kafei quest at least before kicking Skullkids/ Majora's butt.
>>
>>3168596
That so many of you idiots bought a rom hack as a new game.
>>
>>3173945
That's a lot of work, doing the kafei quest as well

>>3173950
You don't know anything.
>>
What do you guys think make a great dungeon?

My question is not necessarily aimed at MM but at Zelda games in general. What were the best dungeons and why? And on the other hand, what were the worst ones and why?
>>
>>3173967
I think you linked back to me by mistake. Majora's Mask was a rom hack of OoT. It wasn't even a good one at that.
>>
>>3173982
You're so wrong that it's not even funny. Read the thread for examples of why. For a rom-hack it sure is impressive that it manages to have more depth than OOT ever had.
>>
>>3173982
Rom hack doesn't mean what you think it does
>>
>>3168756
You're a retarded faggot. Go hit your computer with a hammer if glitches fascinate you, moron.
>>
>>3173989
>More depth than OoT ever had

No it doesn't. It's not even a complete rom hack. It's more like 4 rom hacks smashed together.

>>3174005
I mean they took Ocarina, moved some shit around, changed some dialog, and called it a new game.
>>
>>3174095
Did somebody stuff master quest into an MM cartridge as a joke or something? It's like you don't know what a sequel is.
>>
>>3174159
It's like you don't know what a proper game is.
>>
>>3174171
You're in the minority if you think Majora's Mask isn't a proper game.
>>
>>3174095
You should try and be more open minded about things, instead of childishly disregard something for such petty reasons.

MM may very well use a lot of resources from OOT, but what it does with them is something extraordinary.
>>
>>3173972
That's a tough one. I guess it needs to have something that makes it unique that doesn't become too repetitive or gruelling - obvious example the iron boots and the ease of missing a key in OoT's water temple.
>>
>>3174221
It's really not though. It plays like some fanfic romhack. "OMGZ ur a deku scrub!!!111". It reaks of shit like those mario bros hacks where you play as Bowser
>>
>>3174261
You know it's a big shame that the boots were such a nuisance, because I actually love the idea behind the water temple, the music was amazing too. It could have been the best temple in the game had it not been such a drag with all the menu shit.

3ds version sounds great for this
>>
>>3174281
OoT is a retelling of Link to The Past's prologue plus a self-insert, where the cast gets aged up for shipping purposes with the self-insert. If you can actually say with a straight face that that isn't more fanfic like than Majora's Mask, I demand to know why you aren't sharing the shit you're smoking.
>>
>>3174281
The death theme that is everyw here in the game plays a big role in all the transformations. It plays to to the strength of the games theme, and is nothing like a depthless rom-hack mod where you get to play your favorite enemy npc.

You seem real set on hating this game though, but you should give it another shot.
>>
>>3173972
Honestly, presentation and atmosphere is a big must for me in the 3D games.
That's why the forest temple in Ocarina is one of my favorites, because it's a building being overrun by nature.

Design-wise, I think the dungeon should aim you towards the main item at the start, but have obvious inaccessible paths along the way.
Then when you get an item (or a key), it clicks in your head and you think "okay, now I can check here, here and here."
>>
File: 1445031940777.png (2MB, 1100x1007px) Image search: [Google]
1445031940777.png
2MB, 1100x1007px
>>3168596
I still love the game, but replaying it on my 3DS made me realize how criminally short it is.

I miss the Bombers' Notebook. Are there any games with a similar approach to quests, where you can help people out with their problems and actually feel like you're making a difference? Most RPG quests feel generic and soulless, but MM made a lot of them have some emotional impact.
>>
>>3174332
>But you should give it another shot

Maybe I should. I played to it completion once and wasn't impressed by it at the time, but maybe now I would be. I don't have an N64 anymore though so it won't be any time soon.

>>3174329
The reason I say it feels like a fanfic romhack is because the switching characters thing feels like it started out as two different rom hacks to begin with: being a Zora, and being a Goron. Then they thought "Hey, how can we tie these two half assed rom hacks into one half assed rom hack, and how can we make it about Zelda (even though it's not even in the slightest)" and came up with the being stuck as a Deku scrub learning the ability to become the different species by putting on masks in the process of becoming Hylian again. Then they had to answer the question of why he was a deku scrub in the first place and BAM! The half assed nonsense "main" storyline came into play.

I've already lost interest in this topic so I didn't proofread the above post.
>>
>>3168596
My favourite part was definitely when I turned it off for being the shit hipster garbage that it was.

Shit game. OoT will always be vastly superior.
>>
>>3174596
Shut the fuck up with the ROM hack thing already.
>>
>>3168596
This is probably my favorite game of all time, so IMO there's a lot of great things about it. For starters, it probably has the best soundtrack in any Zelda game (besides maybe OoT). I absolutely loved the theme used in each of the four areas; it's eerie and melancholic without being downright depressing. Reusing the same theme for each area (with different instrumentation) was also great, and helped keep the same vibe throughout the entire game.

Though the main quest is pretty short, there's almost no filler from start to finish. Except for maybe the part where you have to get Epona back, everything you do is important to the story in some way. The first cycle does a fantastic job of showing you all around Clock Town, as you have to visit every single part in order to be transformed back into your human form. The objectives leading up to the dungeon in each area introduce to each race, what their local problem is, and how they are reacting to it. The Zoras and Dekus are definitely characterized better in MM than in OoT. The only thing I wish they would have changed was that fetch quest with the Gibdos, which wasn't particularly challenging or interesting.

The sidequests were also a great addition to the game, as it greatly extended the amount of time you can spend playing. Some were fairly pointless, but the Romani Ranch and Anju Kafei quests were very well done (even though the latter was incredibly challenging without a guide).

The characters in Majora's Mask are written better than in any other Zelda game, and it's not even close. While in most other Zelda games (or adventure games in general) the NPCs will tell you something meaningless or give you a hint for your quest, the NPCs in Majora's Mask all have their own goals and show plenty of emotion when these goals are reached (or not reached). The three day cycle definitely helps with this as each character only needs three days of dialog compared to a whole game, but the point still stands.
>>
>>3169550
3DS just to go Hulk on Twinmold.
>>
>>3174734
(continued)

Of course, I have to talk about "muh atmosphere" if I'm talking about what's great with Majora's Mask. Though it's been talked about many times already, Majora's Mask's atmosphere is what sets the game apart. Everything in the game fits together so seamlessly to paint a subdued, melacholic picture. The visual style, which utilized heavy motion blur, was meant to make the player feel uneasy and give the game a surrealist edge. The themes in MM are much more challenging than in most video games, with the idea of humans wearing figurative masks and risking life for love standing out to me. Not to say that it compares to the finest works of literature or film, but it definitely stands out in the world of video games, which is usually most about entertainment than philosophical discussion. I wouldn't necessarily call Majora's Mask an "art" game, but it was certainly artfully done, which helps it to stand out in the incredibly stacked Legend of Zelda series.
>>
>>3174734
>Anju Kafei quests were very well done (even though the latter was incredibly challenging without a guide).
Really, what did you struggle with?
>>
>>3174712
>Shut the fuck up with the rom hack thing already

Make me, cunt.
>>
>>3174845
If I remember correctly, I didn't know to met Kafei at Sakon's Hideout.
>>
>>3168596
I have a confession, I played MM before OOT on accident. I was at my local JC Flicks rental store in 2001, looking for Perfect Dark (which was rented out) then I looked for OOT (whjich was also rented out) and saw MM. I had no idea what it was buit I remember taking it home, playing it, and being confused by flashbacks and a big moon.

I didnt buy OOT until 2003, and actually buy MM until 2004
>>
>>3174942
So which one did you end up liking more?
>>
>>3174596

Are you fucking 12?
>>
As time has passed I think I may actually like MM more than OOT, it's not clear cut though.
>>
>>3172310
The colours in that screenshot are unnaturally dark, it looks a lot lighter in the actual game on N64. Is the screenshot from a rerelease or emulation?
>>
>>3173695
I'm not the guy you started your bullshit with, but I love it when SJW freaks like you try to use the insults that only apply to your kind on other people.

You do realize that it's about as effective as calling a white guy a "nigger," don't you?
>>
I liked trying to finish as many sidequests as possible before finally going off to defeat Majora.
>>
File: MM_Pamela_and_Father.png (2MB, 1780x2937px) Image search: [Google]
MM_Pamela_and_Father.png
2MB, 1780x2937px
They should have been the Terminia versions of Link and Ganondorf.
>>
>>3177042
Any game is as dark as the brightness setting on your TV.
>>
>>3176112
>Are you fucking 12?
Coming from the child who thinks Majora's Mask is more than a few shit tier rom hacks strung together and presented as a game.
>>
File: qkwmsnwkdmelk.png (1MB, 941x703px) Image search: [Google]
qkwmsnwkdmelk.png
1MB, 941x703px
>>3177042
Emulator. I found out that Dolphin had filters so I tried that on the game. It actually looks pretty good I have quite a few more pics. The filter I use is called bad bloom.
>>
>>3177084
Why?
>>
>>3173068
Speaking of music look into the Orchestration CD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO6ImwhDSxw
>>
>>3177583
Because it would be neat.
>>
>>3174596
>waaaaaah they made an original story instead of rehashing the exact same plot like every other zelda game
>waaaaaah they added variation to the gameplay

Nice shitposting you retard.
>>
>>3174407
>replaying it on my 3DS made me realize how criminally short it is
Better short than long and padded with nonsense like TP or SS.
>>
>>3177856
No, it's more like 3 or 4 fanfics crammed into 1 that loosely tie together. Variation to gameplay? Do go on. I'm pretty sure it was a shitty rom hack the entire game.
>>
>>3178097
First off, how is the story any more fanfic like than that of literally any other Zelda game? If anything, it's less like a fanfic. You're just using that as a meaningless buzzword.

Second, how is it like a romhack? You've never played a romhack, have you? You're only vaguely aware of what one is, aren't you?

If Majora's Mask is, or could be, a shitty OoT romhack, then why don't you prove it? Make a romhack recreating the gameplay of even one of the transformations. Go on, I dare you.
>>
File: Beaver_Falls_Race.jpg (135KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Beaver_Falls_Race.jpg
135KB, 640x480px
My favorite part of the game is the whole Zora section.
Getting the Zora mask is probably the most shocking moment in the game since you actually get to see how Mikau dies, previous masks were given to you when the mask spirits were already dead.
Then you get to swim freely on the water and I loved how Zora Link controls, it's just relaxing to swim around and jump over the surface like a dolphin.
Then there's the whole Indigo-go's part where you kind of roleplay as a band member, I loved jamming with the bassist, visiting the band's leader, and then being able to do a rehearsal (I was disappointed you never actually get to perform live with public and stuff, I was waiting for that).

I also love the beaver rapids, I would often go there just to swim around freely. That place is comfy.

The water temple is a bit confusing and annoying, but I prefer it to Snowhead.
>>
>>3178097
>Variation to gameplay? Do go on

The masks means every temple in the game has a unique playstyle, how are you denying that? If anything you should complain more that it's short, but the 4 temples we got all offer up unique approaches to gameplay.

Why do you have such a shitty attitude about all of this? You've been browsing this site for too long.
>>
I never played MM because it came out "suspiciously" too soon after OOT (and with virtually no hype or fanfare), making me percieve it as some crappy spin-off, rather than a proper game.

Anyone know what I mean? Should I bother?
>>
>>3178313
There are a lot of people in the thread talking about why they love it. Read

>>3174734
>>3174763
>>3172310
>>3173068
>>3168908

But to answer your question. Yes you should bother, it's an amazing game.
>>
File: 1366493925896.gif (490KB, 360x203px) Image search: [Google]
1366493925896.gif
490KB, 360x203px
>>3178198
>it's just relaxing to swim around and jump over the surface like a dolphin
>>
>>3178313
It's a very immersive experience quite unlike the traditional Zelda game. If all you care about is fighting Ganon, saving Zelda and wandering aimlessly for hours at the same place you might want to avoid it.
>>
>>3178198
I enjoyed this section the most too. Although I loved the temple as well, didn't find it confusing at all, found it to be the best one in the game.
>>
>>3178127
Go play Ocarina, dumb ass. It's extremely obvious.

>>3178209
>Unique play style
I wouldn't call it "unique". There are other games where you can transform at will and need to at times to interact with the environment around you. The, I don't know, species, you turn into aren't unique either because they were ripped from previous titles. The play mechanics aren't really unique compared to Ocarina either. It's like they got major shit about the mask side quest in Ocarina and decided to build a game around it just to piss people off.

>>3178313
I personally wouldn't recommend it, but I'm of the minority opinion.
>>
Just jumping in here to let anyone who might still be on the edge know, that contrary to the myth spouted on /v/, Majora's Mask 3D is really good.

>Ambient re-scored soundtrack.
>You now get the song of Soaring right at the first Southern Swamp statue and the Magic Bean Seller's exit takes you right to the side of the Deku Scrub fortress, which speeds up that part moderately.
>No waiting during Gold Skulltula pop-up anymore.
>Rolling now is harder because the hold is automated (you have to press to enter roll mode and repress to get out), but better swimming controls make up for it. You now have so much more control in the water than you did in the original.
>you can control time itself to the exact hour you want.
>owl statues are now permanent saves (in exchange, you can't save with Song of Time anymore).

That's it. I just wanted to say that. Thanks for reading my post.
>>
>>3179769
dude just go away your opinion is shitty
this is >what were you favorite parts of the game?
not >why don't you like majora's mask?
you're a troll
>>
>>3179786
>B-but any change is bad!

But seriously, a bunch of the changes are fine. Small things like how deku link takes a short step before going full speed bugs me.
>>
>>3179786

I remember people complaining about the swimming controls.
How are the new swimming controls, exactly?

I thought they were pretty good on the original anyway.
>>
>>3179803
Basically the up and down buttons are used to rise or sink. So if you're not pressing one, Link will stay in place unless you sunk to the floor.

Then you have a swim button which makes Link paddle like in Twilight Princess. It's slower but easier to control.

Finally, you have the boost which is just like in the N64. This requires magic because it's also the electroshield, but once you run out you can still boost.
>>
Clock town, swamp, mountain, romani ranch, all were brilliant with little padding.

It all fell apart when you got to the ocean though. Like seriously padding out the ass.
>>
>>3179769
>Go play Ocarina, dumb ass. It's extremely obvious.

I have. They're completely different games. Or what, using the same engine makes them the same game?

So I guess Half-Life is a shitty Quake mod. After all, Half-Life's GoldSRC engine is just a modified version of the Quake Engine!

Or is it that a sequel set in the same universe, after the previous game, can't have any recurring elements? It has to have a completely new setting with absolutely nothing from the previous game? So I guess nearly all sequels ever made must be shitty half-assed romhacks. Wow, so sequels are really just official romhacks, what a thought! A moronic thought, but a thought nonetheless.
>>
>>3179791
Make me. Nobody forced you to respond to me.

>>3180125
Half-Life doesn't rip every character out of Quake and drop them in a new setting and try call it immersive. How is that immersive? Why couldn't they do like they did in Link's Awakening and introduce completely new characters? It's supposed to be a whole new area and there aren't even any new species for fucks sake.
>>
>>3179769
I get that you don't like the game, and think it's nothing more than a romhack, but there's no way you can not call the play style unique. The movement of the Zora and Goron are something that have never been replicated and cannot be found in OoT. If you're talking beyond the series, that's still pretty dumb, because you'll struggle to find any 'unique' games. But viewed in its context, i.e. within the series, the masks do make the Temples unique and just because you don't like it, which is fair enough, I don't really think you can call them out for not being unique.
>>
>>3174751
I hated Twinmold so much on the 3DS. Such a boring slow fight. It soured my experience just at the end of the game when I was really enjoying myself.
>>
>>3180517
>Why couldn't they do like they did in Link's Awakening and introduce completely new characters? It's supposed to be a whole new area and there aren't even any new species for fucks sake.
Time. They literally had a year to build the game. They simply didn't have time to design new character models from OoT.
>>
Okay so I've played Ocarina of Time for the first time about two years ago and absolutely loved it, however I never got around to play Majora's Mask because of how intimidating it seems. I get the sense that it's one of those games where you can probably miss out on a lot because of the whole time limit stuff and the way npcs have routines.

I willing to play it now but do you have any tips to make the best of the experience and not lose my mind with excessive stress?
>>
>>3181453
nah, you can't miss anything
and the time limit is artificial, when you reset back to the first day you keep all important items and progress
all it means is you have to beat dungeons/temples within the 3 day limit, which is more than enough time if you use the reverse song of time to slow it down

so that'd be my advice: remember to play the reverse song of time and don't worry about it
>>
>>3181531
I didn't meant missing stuff like key items, more along the lines of npc scenes and dialogue because of how you need to be at the right place at the right time for certain things to take place, no?
>>
>>3182000

There's a schedule book that you get at the beginning of the game, it keeps record of the NPC you meet so if you check that out you can't miss anything.

Anyway go play it man, it's a great game.
>>
>>3180561
>The movement of the Zora and Goron
Are ripped directly from the NPCs in Ocarina. Try again.

>If you're talking about beyond the series that's still pretty dumb blah blah blah
Yeah, NOW. Not when the game was released.

>Viewed in it's context
It's tedious and completely unnecessary. There is literally zero reason why they made you transform beyond trying to justify the mask side quest from Ocarina. It doesn't add a unique experience AT ALL. I'm sorry you bought the lie, I guess. I'm done responding to you because you've yet to come up with any actual examples of how it's unique.
>>
>>3182000
There's only one chest in the entire game you can miss, which is between Link being transformed and entering Termina. The schedule book can be earned in one of two ways.

Everything else repeats itself.
>>
>>3179786
MM 3D is not really good. The bomber's notebook now gives you way too much information, making it really easy to find secrets. The bomber kids run up to you in town and if you talk to them, they fill in your notebook for your for some reason. All of the bosses are given bulging "eye" weakspots to make them fall more in line with every zelda game ever. Zora swimming is awful because the only way to move quickly is to consume magic, so you can't swim dolphin style unless you want to waste your magic. The ice arrows are dumbed down too. You can only create ice blocks at certain spots instead of everywhere like in the original. MM 3D has so many pointless changes that I can't recommend it over the original.
>>
>>3182000
It's easy enough to find any major scenes by accident. And during the three days npcs have the same schedule each time, you learn easily enough where and what time the old lady gets robbed, what another character does on the day it rains, etc. On the first cycle you'll be exploring the main town, so you'll see the basic schedules of just about every major npc that way.

Something that sort of sets Majora apart form the rest of the series, and really most games, is that the exploration element is more chronological than spatial. You're meant to experiment and try new things. It's a neat blend of puzzle solving, exploration and writing. You might miss a few things (and there are A LOT of hidden conversations that are easy to miss) but the easy to miss stuff isn't vital or even helpful, just interesting tidbits that round out characters and the world you're in.

And if you're deadset on seeing everything you can always use a guide, there's one on GameFAQs that tells you about every hidden conversation in the game. Though of course I'd recommend playing through the game naturally first, and then using the guide just to see whatever you missed.
>>
>>3182141
It's worth noting that that chest isn't even important. It doesn't contain some rare item you have one chance to get or anything, it just had deku nuts or deku seeds or something. It's just some ammo.

Also I just want to say this game's opening is great, and is fantastic at being a tutorial without being obvious that it's a tutorial.
>>
>>3182235
Hmm, I haven't played that far into it. I danced around the bosses. But I will see soon. Thanks for responding.

>>3182464
The Deku Nuts help you stun the kids so you don't have to chase them or try to shoot them from afar, and that chest is the only way you can get Deku Nuts during the first cycle.

I never understood this and thought it was just as a gag for completionists, until I played the 3Dmake, and the kid says "no using nuts!"
>>
>>3182000
Since the game is running on a clock and you can rewind to day 1 whenever you want, you'll actually never miss anything because you'll familiarize yourself with the schedule of the people in town. Doing side-quests there is a chance you'll miss out on something and have to reset to day 1 and do it again, but that is not a big deal.

Like another anon pointed out, remember to play the song of time backwards and time will slow down way more giving you a lot of time to do your work. Never start a temple on day 3, try and start it on day 1. Once a temple is discovered, or you get the song that lets you fast travel to it, that will always stick with you, so resetting at that point and just playing the ocarina will take you back to the temple entrance with the full 3 day cycle to complete it.

It's an intimidating game to start though, I understand, I felt exactly the same way. I was intrigued by the concept and everything, just took a while to give it my full attention. After you've completed the first temple, you're gonna feel like you have a good grasp on how the systems work in the game.
>>
>>3182140
You seem to think that anon was me; they're not.

>Are ripped directly from the NPCs in Ocarina. Try again.

No they aren't you stupid fuck. Literally none of them are.

>There is literally zero reason why they made you transform beyond trying to justify the mask side quest from Ocarina. It doesn't add a unique experience AT ALL.

What are you even trying to say? What, because OoT had masks, no other Zelda game can have masks? The mask sidequest in OoT was relatively minor.

The masks in MM tie into the plot. Masks are a major motif of the game, symbolic of the general theme of duality between the superficial outer image and the true underlying aspect that is repeated throughout the game. The transformation masks are symbolic of another theme in the game; the themes of loss, maturity, and putting on an adult face, so to speak, to deal with the responsibilities that come with growing up.

As for the transformations themselves, what honestly triggers you so much about them? Are you complaining about gameplay variety? They very certainly did effect gameplay, and were required in a LOT of parts. Or, what, are you now upset *because* the game introduces unique gameplay elements instead of just playing exactly like OoT?

>>3180517

>Why couldn't they ... introduce completely new characters
The game does have new characters. A lot of them. That includes new models. If you're asking why OoT models were reused for a fair number of characters, the game is implied to be a dream (hence all the metaphor and blatant symbolism).

>It's supposed to be a whole new area and there aren't even any new species for fucks sake.
Even if you specifically mean non-enemies, which I assume you do, what would you call those monkeys in the forest? Or all those ghosts? Hell, the Stalchildren in Majora's Mask are essentially an entirely new race.

Anyway, I know I'm wasting my time. You have shit taste, and shit opinions. You really can't be older than 14. Dear God I hope you're not.
>>
>>3183676
>▼
>hide post

Didn't read lol. Done arguing with retards who can't accept they got fucked by Nintendo.
>>
>>3182140
I'm not the same guy you were talking to, as I said, I get that you think it's a rip from OoT, and I do understand your point that yes they are exactly the same characters. The only thing I took issue with was the fact that you said they aren't unique - okay like you've pointed out, they aren't, but we were talking in context of what they give to the play style and the Temples. Great Bay is MUCH smoother than the Water Temple, because you've never been able to swim like a Zora - I'm talking in terms of the game play here, not the characteristics/aesthetics. Moreover, even if you found the transformation aspect 'tedious and completely unnecessary' that doesn't mean it can't be unique. Again, I'm not trying to detract from your opinion, I just feel it's a very fair point to say that the gameplay is unique to these Temples and it certainly stands out from the rest of the Zelda series (Even if you look at TP, Wolf Link has a minimal role in Temple action, he's only really needed briefly in the Arbiter's grounds)

It's like this, some people hate Skyward Sword because of it's use of the Wii Motion Plus controls, but some think this is clever and really enhances the experience. One side could argue they're shit and gimmicky, whereas the other could argue they're a fresh touch that makes a valued contribution to the series. Either side has an opinion, sure, but neither side can deny that the way the motion plus makes you play is unique to previous instalments in the series - whether that's for better or for worse.
>>
>>3184223
Judging by the fact that you took the time to reply you're clearly not.
>>
>>3177583
But it would make no sense I just don't see the connection.
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 455x625px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 455x625px
>>3182140
>I'm sorry you bought the lie, I guess
>I'm done responding to you
Just so you know, you're talking complete bullshit and everyone can tell you're just mad you got called out
>>
>>3168642
>Majoras Mask probably the only game with actual fun swimming mechanics
Pretty much
>>
>>3189479
Spyro 2 (and maybe 3) also handled swimming well.
>>
File: image.jpg (427KB, 1248x938px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
427KB, 1248x938px
>>3189519
I always thought Conker's BFD had nice swimming controls as well, even if the water sections themselves were a bit frustrating
>>
Just beat OoT a few months ago and I've never played Majora's Mask. What am I in for? Is it better than OoT?
>>
The atmosphere will definitely take you by surprise. Granted it's the same engine (?) but they feel like two completely different games to stretch it out.
>>
>>3190907
It's very different. I prefer it, but it depends on what you're into.

It's fairly dark for a Zelda game and more mature - not that "muh dark" is inherently a good thing, but in this case it definitely works imo. The story and atmosphere are really good (though the time travel aspect makes NO FUCKING SENSE if you actually stop to think about it), but most of that story is told through optional events and side-quests. You'll be spending most of the game doing side-quests and helping people. The game, and particularly Clock Town, has lots of NPCs with their own names and stories and problems and active schedules. The game runs on a 3-day cycle; the time is constantly kept track of, as are the schedules of the NPCs - whether you're there or not - and several things require you to be at the right place at the right time.

Really, most of the game is about helping people and getting involved in their personal stories. One way I've heard it explained is Ocarina of Time is an epic quest, whereas Majora's Mask is more like a weird mystery novel. I adore the game and prefer it over OoT, but they're so different that I really can't call either one "better"; it's basically a matter of pure personal preference. If you like side-quests and character drama then you'll like Majora's Mask.
>>
>What were your favorite parts of this game?
>subhumans don't deserve being saved by the hero of time, a young member of the Aryan master race
Typical.
>>
>>3168596
I still do this to this day.
I put Majora's Mask cartridge in N64, continue my
save file I've had since I first bought the game new.
Go to Termina and call Epona get on horse go to owl statue and quick save game while on Epona before saving make sure I have
Fierce Deity mask mapped to C button. Restart quick save go to ranch to race the brothers right when race starts equipped mask wait for race to
finish. After it's done I have a blast playing as Fierce Deity Link all day.
Figured this out by myself a long time ago I played this game to much as a teenager, Still my favorite Zelda game but honestly I like all of them for the most part. Even recently bought a sealed copy for $50 to go with my other two copies.
>>
>>3191270
>though the time travel aspect makes NO FUCKING SENSE if you actually stop to think about it

Why? Because of the way in which skull kid intends to destroy Clock Town, it would be extremely anti-climatic to just have the moon sat over the town indefinitely until you're ready to fight him. I get that obviously after first cycle you're aware of the fact you can always reset, but that still makes sense rather than having the moon just sit there, don't you think?
But yeah, like you say, obviously we can't have the story aspect without the time travel, but just going from the main plot perspective I don't see why it doesn't make sense?
>>
>>3192147
What I was specifically talking about was the fact that certain things are saved each time. Everything reserts, except the story progress that you made and the important non-purchasable items that you got. You still have your bow, but all your arrows are gone. The dungeons and the side-quests are still considered to have been completed and the people's problems taken care of, even though, after you go back to the first day, they haven't and have been reset just like everything else. It's like some weird Schrodinger's Cat thing where the side-stories and plot events both did and did not happen. It's like the Warp in the West but as a gameplay mechanic that never gets explained or addressed.

Now, obviously, it's fine and arguably necessary for gameplay. I'm just saying it makes absolutely no sense at all when you think about it, even as far as time-travel plots go.
>>
>>3193136
Ah, I see where you're coming from, but I guess to a certain extent it has to do with replayability. Like, if you get rid of the curse in the Mountains, the guy with the Don Gero's mask saves himself and you wouldn't be able to get the mask again. Same with the Heart piece for defeating the Poes in Ikana - and, like the guy says if you see him after beating Stone Tower, it wouldn't make sense for spirits to linger after you've broken the curse.

Losing things like arrows and bombs is silly when you don't lose the bomb bag and bow, granted. But I suppose at least they're always readily available by owl statues, which is something.
>>
>>3184817
That's not arguing though, idiot. The level of intelligence of your average Majora's Mask fan right there.
>>
>>3173098
Goron are absolute bros, I think you have some issues you need to work out my man
>>
>>3193732
Why the fuck are people replying to this person? He can't even come up with compelljng arguments, just keeps spouting romhacks!!!!11!1
>>
>>3193732
Well I guess "retarded whining" is more accurate, but I figured you're probably sensitive about your disability.

>>3193751
I'm a jerk who likes mocking the mentally handicapped.
>>
>>3178198
I fucking hated the Zora controls.
>>
>>3168596
>Majora's Mask
>Retro
Fuck me /v/, I feel old now
>>
>>3195026
wrong board pal
Thread posts: 135
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.