[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Phantasy Star Classic & Online Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 17

File: de-rol-le.jpg (876KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
de-rol-le.jpg
876KB, 1024x768px
Let's talk about one of the best sci-fi RPG series out there, /vr/.

>favorite classic game
>favorite PSO episode

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_dWalQdIN0
>>
>>3168242
That video's really sad.
>>
Are we allowed to talk about episodes 2 and 4?
>>
>>3168284
Seeing as Ep2-4 run on the PSO engine, why not.
>>
How much of the classic phantasy star games are canon in phantasy star online? Or is PSO completely separated from the classic rpgs?
>>
>>3168882
They are completely separated continuity wise.
They are more like FF games in this regard: common terminology but different worlds.
>>
File: neisclaw1[1].jpg (40KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
neisclaw1[1].jpg
40KB, 512x384px
>2
>1
>>
>>3168242
>now dialing

First 5 minutes made me nostalgia hard.
>>
Love classic PS.

Had PSO on DC and it was one of the most mind-numbingly boring gaming experiences I've ever had. I gave it away to a friend it was so lame. I'll never understand the fanfare for it.
>>
Just started PS2 on my genesis. It's sooo sweet. The music is amazing. It's crazy how inspired music could be given the technological limitations at the time.
>>
>>3169205
PSO's basically a simplified Diablo clone.
I thought it was decent, though it'll always be in the shadow of Diablo II to me.
>>
>>3169205
PSO's only really fun when you start questing with friends.

Anyways, what's the current best PSO server nowadays?
>>
Back before PSO actually came out I spent half a day downloading a 90 or 100mb video file that was just sega teasing the Dragon boss fight for it, and watched that over an over again, kind of lamenting I would never actually get a dreamcast to play it on, luckily it did come out on gamecube which I did end up getting it on, but for those few years before then having that less than a minute long video of the game taking up nearly a tenth of my old HDDs space was totally wonderous.
>>
>>3169379
This, I wouldn't touch the single player.
>>
>>3170592
Rob convenience store anon. Buy 10 dreamcast from shady russian in green van. Enjoy PSO the way God intended.
>>
>>3168242
>Everyone disappears
>Checks map and there's no one around

I didn't even play this game but to watch the instant it died cuts me deep.
>>
>>3170632
I actually felt my heart sink
>>
File: ps3_1.jpg (24KB, 400x227px) Image search: [Google]
ps3_1.jpg
24KB, 400x227px
Never really got into PSO but classic series is my absolute fav with the old Shining games. Phantasy Star 3 gets a lot of flack but it's my favorite in the series, it would really benefit from a remake in my eyes.
>>
>>3169379
pioneer2.net
>>
>>3170925
Yes. This would actually warrant a new game purchase from me. Something which has not happened in over a decade.
>>
>>3171760
A shame since the chances of it seem highly unlikely due to Sega being Sega and also them leaving it out when they first announced remakes for the other 3 instead I'm still a bit upset we never got 4's. But yet, I will still keep wishing...
>>
>>3172014
The Phantasy Star remakes (mostly 2) on PS2 were pretty crappy though...
>>
File: pso131062903506736454.png (3MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
pso131062903506736454.png
3MB, 1600x900px
Meh. All my friends are powerlevelling someone.
>>
File: lolinei.gif (19KB, 362x600px) Image search: [Google]
lolinei.gif
19KB, 362x600px
why does it seem like nobody cares for phantasy star here
>>
>>3174887
Not true. There have been some great PS threads, but PSO is generally frowned upon. Firstly because not really retro considering most folks play V2, V3, or BB, and secondly because it's a diablo-clone/skinner-box and not a traditional JRPG.
>>
>>3175108
So Classicfags are a bunch of elitist assholes, gotcha.
>>
>>3175117
Well what'd you expect, only autists with no friends play turn-based JRPG's.
>>
I was one of the few who played Phantasy Star Online Episode 3 on GameCube online for a brief time. I think I only ran into, at most, 3 to 12 others and maybe played a game once or twice with someone else. It was really different and I could see myself liking it but it was just weird to get into at that age, plus with no one else online and no way to really type, it was challenging to talk to anyone or get advice or learn things.

I would like to see PSO Episode 3 on a private server so maybe it could get a userbase online.
>>
>>3175138
Was Ep3 any good? I skipped over it and Ep 1&2 and went directly to BB after playing the Dreamcast V2.
>>
File: 26028807.jpg (589KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
26028807.jpg
589KB, 1001x1001px
So who do you pick as a 5th. I usually go Kyra. Raja's cool and makes the game a joke but Kyra is a delight and has a lot of combo utility.

I ran Han and Gryz once. That was a time.
>>
>>3175283
Seth
>>
File: Seth.jpg (22KB, 446x267px) Image search: [Google]
Seth.jpg
22KB, 446x267px
>>3175364

Good ol trust worthy Seth
>>
>>3175283
She looks like a Fire Emblem reject.
>>
>>3169205
If you played PSO and didn't pay for a subscription you were playing a shallow sham of a game.

If you were playing it online, however, you were playing a rather rich game with a great community and super fun team content. Its like playing Diablo 2 without friends. Bland on its own, but a gem with buddies.
>>
>>3175283

I've done all before, even without a 5th. Just depends on what I'm in the mood for.
>>
>>3175153
It's not without its flaws but I find it severely underrated. The story feels like something that could have been in PSII or IV
>>
File: pso_nnn.jpg (2MB, 4923x3406px) Image search: [Google]
pso_nnn.jpg
2MB, 4923x3406px
Sometimes I feel like the only one who doesn't put a huge divide in my mind between the classic PS games and PSO1

The classic PS games were my favorite growing up, and after the story concluded in IV I really didn't think we'd get another one. Then Online came out and even though it was more gameplay and action focused, it felt to me like a worthy successor of combing dungeons in PSII. Not to mention that game was super addictive and the story was very beautifully and subtly told.
>>
>>3175685

I just wish the core series got a bit more appreciation mostly and honestly if the game wasn't gonna be set in the Algo system I wonder why we even call it a PS game at all. I mean change some enemy and skill names around it's effectively it's own thing. It doesn't even relate to the colony ships from 3.
>>
File: horizon.jpg (31KB, 448x336px) Image search: [Google]
horizon.jpg
31KB, 448x336px
like when I first heard they where making an Phantasy Star MMO my first thought was this scene.

I though about going on adventures for myself in the universe that Id become so vested in to this point. I imagined exploring the motavian deserts and dezolian tundras.

Ive still put an absurd amount of time into PSO, maxed every glass with high end gear because you're right it is a phantastically addictive game but it's not really what I and a lot of fans where probably expecting.
>>
File: rikasurprise.jpg (24KB, 300x267px) Image search: [Google]
rikasurprise.jpg
24KB, 300x267px
also petty complaint. I wanted to have color tipped ears for my numans
>>
>>3175779
>tfw Rika was almost gonna be a Nei clone
>>
>>3175874

Well she effectively is more or less. For all intents she's essentially Nei Third or Nei Perfect.
>>
>>3175108
There's been some great classic PS threads here and some great PSO ones. I think the problem with this thread is that it's trying to be both. Lotta people just like one or the other and that's understandable considering how unalike they are.
>>
Was anyone else largely disappointed by Episode 4? It only had one major boss and all the sand areas were boring (except the big Crater).

Ep 2 was perfect, Ep 1 was decent, Ep 4 sucked a huge dick.
>>
>>3175913
Not to mention it fucked up the balance of the game by having a philosophy of "these enemies are more difficult for the same EXP so we'll make them drop better stuff" Meaning most drops from episode 1 and 2 were obsolete.

GameCube is still the best version I think, plus I can play it with my friends offline and play Ep 3.
>>
>>3175913
Everything is better than VR Temple.

Fuck VR Temple.
>>
>>3176848
VR Space is GOAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZs-gUP-Y68
>>
File: lisa0255.jpg (611KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
lisa0255.jpg
611KB, 600x800px
Classic:
4 > 1 > 2 > 3

Online:
2 > 1 > 4 > 3
>>
>>3176873

Japan seems to have an especial fondness for PS2 Ive noticed
>>
>>3176893

PS2 has a certain quality the other games lacked. You could name your heroes and rearrange your party; also, thee were a few different viable weapon and armour configurations for party members, rather than there always being an obvious best choice. This, coupled with the crushing difficulty, made it more "epic" than the other games. To put it another way, when you reached the centre of a maze you really fucking felt you'd earned it (and woe betide if you'd forgotten an escapipe)
>>
File: alis6.png (30KB, 141x141px) Image search: [Google]
alis6.png
30KB, 141x141px
>>3177104
>You could name your heroes

Is that something people actually care about?
>>
>>3175108
i've never really liked PSO because it left the PS universe I was used to.

I mean Algo's story was pretty well ended, but dammit PS = Algo. Like Ace Combat, you can't just go yanking it out of it's habitat and expecting better results.
>>
>>3177191
That's a pretty autistic reason to not play an enjoyable online action-RPG, anon.
>>
>>3177203
Oh, I've got other reasons beyond my control like shit tier internet, That's just why I have a faint background distaste for it.

I won't deny it's autistic.
>>
File: groupworkbyorioto.jpg (191KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
groupworkbyorioto.jpg
191KB, 1600x900px
>>3177203

How? If you're going to call a game Phantasy Star I don't think fans are asking to much to have it be set in the actual Phantasy Star setting.

They spent 4 games establishing it and that's the setting the fans would want to explore.
>>
>>3177229
The Algol arc was over, anon. Why would they keep rehashing it when it was finished? Complain about Reiko Kodama instead of PSO.
>>
>>3169379
i imagine, but honestly any online rpg is fun with friends though.
>>
File: profounddarkness3.gif (142KB, 320x168px) Image search: [Google]
profounddarkness3.gif
142KB, 320x168px
>>3177241
>The Algol arc was over, anon

It's a planetary system that's been around for billions of years.

You can easily squeeze adventure somewhere before PS4 and even without dark force and the PD around it's laughable to assume that no shit ever went down in it's history.
>>
>>3177256
I'd like to see another game around PS2 time.

It doesn't have to be of cosmic importance, just some kind of game to further explore that world.
>>
>>3176870
I don't see why people like Tricktrack. Even if you ignore that it cuts out before the best parts of the original songs it's based on, it's just a poor remix. Same goes for the Temple music. It's horrid what they turned good songs into.
>>
File: 10160972.jpg (1MB, 1415x1000px) Image search: [Google]
10160972.jpg
1MB, 1415x1000px
Cliche yet effective topic starter

How would you make Phantasy Star 3 good
>>
>>3179163
3 wasn't nearly as bad as people say. The aesthetics are Great Light-tier. Cool as fuck branching story line. The story was actually the best in the series in some respect.

Not to mention this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TvtyUmdQamY
>>
>>3179163
Get rid of the gimmick music, no partial instrument overworld and kill that cacophonic dynamic battle music. I know the composer can do much better, he did PS4. Extend it's deadline so the game actually gets finished (PS2 could have done with the same...), put some variety and population in the towns. Hopefully overworlds and dungeons could be touched up too. Don't put Dark Force in a box again. And four save slots. I mean really, what a fuckup that was.

Basically more development time would have really saved the game.
>>
>>3169379
Me and my buddies having sleepovers where we all just try to quest and level up. It saddens me that all those friends moved away.
>>
File: Blackenergywave.jpg (7KB, 201x88px) Image search: [Google]
Blackenergywave.jpg
7KB, 201x88px
>>3168242
>tfw i would equip like 9999 rods to my FOnewearl
>play nightmare mode
>1 shot everything
>everything 1 shots me
>fucking sneeze and a rag rappy breaks his entire dick off in my ass
>Its the rare one and ill never see it again ever
>mfw
>>
>>3177909
Eh, they're fun and nostalgic for one. The glitchy mish-mash of Tricktrack in particular fits the atmosphere of SS very well, too.

I find that other than Jungle (Lush Load/Forest Cage), which is possibly my favorite PSO track, Ep 1 & 4 have better music overall.1
>>
>>3180062
>The aesthetics are Great Light-tier

the game was a hideous drab mess and the enemy animations where worse than the original on the master system.
>>
>>3180286
Probably EphineaPSO, since its the official server of the emulation platform everyone else is using. It seems great so far, I'm about 50 hours in.

Scht took a shit, and was reborn, but they're allowing cheats to play with legits and they're trying to enforce how they interact with each other.

Ultima is hilariously high rates, run by BRs, and has j-pop everywhere.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.