[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plug and Play TV-Games.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 11

File: Huge Jakk-Man.jpg (91KB, 640x439px) Image search: [Google]
Huge Jakk-Man.jpg
91KB, 640x439px
The good.
The bad.
The Very, VERY bad.

Let's get an appreciation/hatred thread going for these miniature machines that we all love or love to hate. I'll start. Pictured is one of the better ones, it has 12 NAMCO games in it. Real microswitch inputs. Pole Position is controlled by twisting the stick left and right. Oh, and it has easter eggs!

What's your favorite?
>>
>>3165298
I was thinking of getting that Pac Man Anniversary one. I like all of the games on it, and I'm a big fan of Pac and Pal
>>
File: 51P7GQ0sTAL._SX355_[1].jpg (21KB, 355x289px) Image search: [Google]
51P7GQ0sTAL._SX355_[1].jpg
21KB, 355x289px
got this one for Christmas one year, the emulation was great , the controls not so much. Except for pole position, the little yellow thing rotated to steer and it worked great. Still had a ton of fun with it as a kid though.
>>
File: Hummer Kavula.jpg (595KB, 2317x1811px) Image search: [Google]
Hummer Kavula.jpg
595KB, 2317x1811px
>>3165487
I fucking love that one. I just realized TODAY the one in my OP image can be literally turned backwards (So the joystick is right-handed) without affecting Pole Position at all.

>>3165457
The shape of that one bugs the hell outta me. But having Pac-Man 256 is a treat.

Another of my favorites. I have this one half-modded into a mini C64. It's the best NTSC version of the C64DTV there is.
>>
>>3165298
that one that is a p&p c64
it kicks ass
>>
File: Comma Dory.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Comma Dory.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
>>3165545

Excellent choice. Aside from the modded Hummer I also have one unmodded and I keep it that way. I might throw an S-Video port onto it but otherwise it's 100% stock.
>>
>>3165545
>>3165735
The C64DTV is definitely the best of all the plug & play consoles I wish I had two so I wouldn't feel bad tearing one apart but I only have one. Maybe someday I'll score one of the british ones with an actual micro SD.

If you like this kind of junk pick up one of those $9 famiclone handhelds on Ali Express that has it's own screen and also can plug into the TV.
>>
File: 51H9FT0B6KL.jpg (37KB, 462x500px) Image search: [Google]
51H9FT0B6KL.jpg
37KB, 462x500px
I got this one in a raffle at my middle school but I don't think I played it much
I also had the first SpongeBob one and that one was the shit, especially the platforming game
>>
They were huge in 2004, what happened? Where can I still buy one?
>>
>>3166535
>middle school
I'm getting too old for this shit
>>
>>3166562
>They were huge in 2004, what happened?

They still trickle out. Mostly though, the changeover to HDTV's happened. Most people don't have low-latency HDTV's for analog inputs. That and mobile apps.
>>
>>3165838
Please elaborate. How can I tell which one I have and what benefits does the British one have. Can I easily put other games on it?
>>
>>3166732
Version 2, AKA "the British one" has different games on it. It also has a true 256-color mode, 2M of RAM, and a flash chip instead of an epoxied ROM chip. It was upgraded past that and released AGAIN in America as the Radio Shack Hummer Plug and Play game. Which is the penultimate iteration of the hardware. "Version 3" it's referred as.
>>
>>3166743
le not so ebik epoxied ROM maymay
You sure it's a ROM? Just because it doesn't come in standard package doesn't mean it's a particular sort of chip.
They're all pink on the inside.
>>
>>3165298
>>3165487
I own both of these and used to own a Sega plug n play that was a small model 2 genny that I used to play the fuck out of just for Columns
>>
i have a namco and atari one, got them both at goodwill for $3 each
>>
>>3167926
I got a few, I find them now and then at the flea market. Got the Star Wars one which is actually kinda good but I only paid 50 cents. I'd only pay a few bucks but definitely not over 5. Got the Commodore 64 one years ago as a gift and that one too is okay.

Got an atari one but I don't even know if I tried it, got it for a buck or less. The namco one has good games on it but I find the control stick to be kinda shitty. Maybe mine is busted but it seems kinda off.
>>
>>3168291
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOsGltd53fw

Saw this awhile ago and the first one he reviews in the Namco one I was mentioning>>3168291

It def has some problems with the joystick, it's only noticeable to me because I've been playing those games for years.
>>
File: namco-1.jpg (34KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
namco-1.jpg
34KB, 400x320px
Got one of pic related, excellent stick and games.

>>3165487
I also have this one. The twist stick was inventive and fun, plus the games were emulated well.
>>
>>3168565
Got this one too but I wouldn't say the stick is excellent, It's good but not perfect.
>>
I have a whole bunch that I was finding at Goodwill, including shit like some Barbie one. Eventually had to stop since they come in all shapes & sizes and don't store so easily like a stack of cartridges.
>>
>>3165545

I'd love to get one, but I can't justify the $50. It'll never get a re-release either because the plug and play fad is dead.
>>
File: Meat Spinball.jpg (41KB, 353x393px) Image search: [Google]
Meat Spinball.jpg
41KB, 353x393px
>>3170181
I am considering making a display case out of cut Lexan for some of mine. The plan is to have simple backings for each one. The most-difficult part is modding them each for having A/V ports on them instead of having the wires hanging off of them.

>>3170208

If you are in the US and if you're really only looking for one for modding purposes, I do have the PCB out of one. I had connected a few wires but nothing too out-there yet.

I'm never going to use it though because I've got the Hummer as my project board now. If you'd be willing to pay shipping I'll send it to you.
>>
File: 100_2100.jpg (845KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
100_2100.jpg
845KB, 1333x1000px
>>3165487
Probably the best plug and play.

I hate the cord though.
>>
>>3165487
twist stick is a quality piece. Probably one of the best there is for home pole position.

>>3170226
is there a gamegear in here?
>>
>>3170226

>If you are in the US and if you're really only looking for one for modding purposes, I do have the PCB out of one. I had connected a few wires but nothing too out-there yet.

Nope, I just want to play some C64 vidya, particularly Cybernoid. The system is difficult to emulate, what with its varied control schemes and long loading times.
>>
File: Chai Neshit.jpg (356KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Chai Neshit.jpg
356KB, 1024x768px
>>3170291
Yes, yes there is. I'd kill if someone could find a way to attach a cart slot to one.

>>3170272
Niiice
>>
>>3170329
Dude, the ROM chip is right there and even on a board so you and work out the pinout. The only way they could make it easier to add a cart slot would be if they included the connector, instructions and a soldering iron.
>>
>>3170394
Yeah that's my thought process.

Pin count is right, too. I've been working on the pinout for a couple of hours off and on.
>>
Is there a decent pnp pacman still being made?
>>
>>3170483
99.999% chance the board was designed to take a standard jedec tsop44. I'd start there.
>>
File: Raspberry PIxel.jpg (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Raspberry PIxel.jpg
48KB, 500x500px
>>3170608
There's one currently being made/sold that has good emulation but it's in an awkward shape. The upshot is it can internally-store the cord and actually looks Gamer-chic for display purposes.

I kinda want to get the Capcom, Activision, and Konami ones.
>>
I had a Spongebob one and>>3165487
>>3168565
Plus a Wheel of Fortune one that had an actual physical wheel you spun.
>>
>>3165838
It has jumpman jr., but no jumpman or lode runner.
>>
Is there a list of which of these have real systems-on-a-chip and which are some shitty android-based emulator?
>>
>>3171126
If it's Jakks Pacific it's a system on a chip.

The ARM-based emulators are a fairly recent thing and are still not as cheap as using an ASIC. That's why things like INTV Flashback are like $25-50 depending on where you look and PnP's are usually like $15.
>>
I don't understand, why would they use a C64 clone to make a TV game? And can you run real commodore software on it?
>>
>>3170329
Shit, man if you work out how to make this into a game gear console you'll be a hero. That's some shit LOTS of people want. Be sure to slap your name on the mod.
>>
>>3171763
C64 is easy to code for and yes you can
>>
>>3165298
It always feels like a family reunion whenever I see one, like I got to make sure all the oldies are there: hitting mices, edacity snakes, brave boy, cute fish, Xmas gift, desert storm... So crap but yet so welcoming.
>>
>>3171782
neat
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.