[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well, why /vr/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 18

File: psx.jpg (55KB, 494x260px) Image search: [Google]
psx.jpg
55KB, 494x260px
Well, why /vr/?
>>
Because underage don't know PSX was the name used in the first year of PS1
>>
>>3163851
Playstation X was a codename and it stuck. Deal with it, you fucking muzzie.
>>
I have no idea, but this "thing" started elsewhere many years ago.

My main suspect would be PS1 ISO sharing websites. They are bare-minimum venues for piracy that couldn't care less about proper terminology.

Whatever, that's my 0.02.
>>
>>3163851
All the magazines I used to read in the 90s referred to it as such all the way too the release of the PSOne. It just stuck with me, I'm yuropoor btw.
>>
>>3163856
>underage
But I'm a 90s kid I was born in 1998.
>>
>>3163851
It's just ol slang vs new slang.

It doesn't seem the least bit odd to most people in their 30's, or even 20's, because we've all used "PSX". Then of course, the PSOne came out, the naming standard changed and the younglings all get confused.

The thing I don't understand, is how morons can actually get confused by it all...
>>
No one called it PS1 because there was no PS2
>>
>>3163921

p much this. all the kids where i grew up called it the psx when it was a currently console. nobody called it the "ps" because that sounds retarded, and they definitely didn't call it the "ps1" any more than people called the xbox the "xbox 1" before the xbox 360. it was a marketing codename and it stuck and became a common colloquialism
>>
PSX stuck around past its due because PS already means "post script" or w/e
>>
>>3163856
This. Back in the ninties pwople would say
>Why are you calling the psx a ps1?

Ps1 was the the mini PS. PSx was the full sized one
>>
There was a magazine for PlayStation coverage called PSX. I always thought it started there. Whatever it is, it's a faggy 90s eXtreme term.
>>
>>3163851
That little retarded kid...
>>
File: underage.png (20KB, 769x186px) Image search: [Google]
underage.png
20KB, 769x186px
>>3163851
You missed the best fucking post.

RATED BEST ANSWER

UNDERAGE ANSWERING ANOTHER UNDERAGE

I wonder, is this what happened to history?
Underaged kids telling other underaged kids the meaning, getting rated best answer, and that's whats put in the history books instead of reality?
>>
File: yes.png (24KB, 850x204px) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
24KB, 850x204px
Okay first of all
It wasn't called the PSX because the name "PlayStation" wasn't testing well. Even though the name wasn't, it was just called PSX because it sounded EXTREME

Secondly, LMAO and GCN are not "90s" abbreviations. The fucking GameCube came out in 2001.
>>
Why do people still care about abbreviations, even though you clearly know what they mean?
>>
File: STICK_thumb[1][1].jpg (18KB, 364x238px) Image search: [Google]
STICK_thumb[1][1].jpg
18KB, 364x238px
When Sony was developing the SNES CD its name was announced as "Playstation" so when Sony was developing it into their own stand alone console they didn't want to get into a copyright dispute too early with Nintendo so it was referred to as PS-X. Everyone who had been privy to any insider info at all in the early 90s knew damn well that PS stood for Playstation and that the X was added to differentiate it from the SNES accessory. This was definitely a calculated decision by Sony to let insiders know that yes this was the Playstation we had been excited for but not "officially".

On top of that desire to let the branding develop organically during the developmental process without being overly aggressive with their former partners there was additional market research done with their target demographic high school and college aged males that indicated in English speaking countries there was somewhat negative reaction to the word "play" as childish while there was positive association with the letter X (Generation X, the X-Games etc).

So due to both these reasons, in the West especially in the US the Playstation was regularly informally referred to as the PSX even by Sony employees - q.v. the 1994 E3 napkin story.

The Japanese executives of course won out and the marketing branch successfully attached a 90s aesthetic even to the word "play" but the PSX abbreviation is so omnipresent in both the periodicals and the internet of the mid 90s it's flagrantly trolling to try to claim otherwise and it has been a constant ever since, particularly to differentiate between original Playstations and PSOnes. The PS2 DVR was an attempt to capitalize on this existing brand recognition that failed not just worldwide but even within its home market and again is a weak argument put forth by obvious trolls.
>>
>>3163851
SCEA didn't like the name Playstation, so they marketed it as the PSX.

PS1 refers to the white model that came later. Only underage call the older grey model PS1.
>>
>>3163987
>I wonder, is this what happened to history?
Duh, it happens here with memes which is why people believe a lot of /sp/ memes are from /v/

Newfags write history.
>>
>>3163921
They aren't confused, it just sets off their Spergy-Sense.

>>3163859
Case in point.
>>
>>3163851

This thread caused me to look up PS on wikipedia and realize my normie ass parents bought me the playstation when the PS2 had already come out. I was like 5 so I had no idea.
>>
>>3164016
I'm 25 and I had a PS1 growing up, not a PSONE, and I call it the PlayStation, which I'm having to distinguish now as PlayStation 1.

I remember vaguely around 6 years old hearing PSX, but I never cared.
>>
>>3163856
False.
>>
>>3164071
False.
>>
Can mods just word filter PSX already?
>>
>>3164074
No.
>>
>>3164074
You mean wordfiltering PS1 PS-1 PS Playstation and Play Station all into "PSX"? That sounds like a fantastic idea.
>>
>>3164074
Only if they also wordfilter Genesis to Exodus.
>>
>>3164074
Can they word filter "kid" and "kiddo" along with "farts"
>>
File: 1349699803092.jpg (32KB, 380x162px) Image search: [Google]
1349699803092.jpg
32KB, 380x162px
>>3163851
I called it, and websites called it, the PS, The Playstation, and the PSX. Once the PS2 came out, PS1 was also added to the list.
>>
>>3164000

the 'tism
>>
>>3163859
shut your fucking underaged mouth, you were obviously never online in the 90s cause it was plastered over every gaming website
>>
>>3163904
top kek
>>
>>3164086
this to be quite honest family computer
>>
>>3163851
Open any gaming magazine from the mid 90s that writes about the Playstation; they'll use the PSX abbreviation more often than not.
>>
>>3164839
Quiet. I always get a laugh when the underageb& asks this question. The morons think it was called PS1 before the PS2 came out.
>>
>>3164861
You do realize that these people may not be underage, right? People born in 1998 are now 18.
>>
>>3163857
Correct tl;dr.

>>3164010
Correct longer answer.
>>
File: 1460197277295.gif (140KB, 379x440px) Image search: [Google]
1460197277295.gif
140KB, 379x440px
>people think it WASN'T called the PSX

I remember buying one and a few games from eBay, and I assumed everyone called it the PSX back in 2001.
>>
File: psx2.jpg (82KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
psx2.jpg
82KB, 800x600px
>>3163921
Well, don't forget: Sony did eventually release a system that was actually called the PSX. Granted, it was a Japan-exclusive PS2/DVR hybrid that, due to its high cost, flopped hard. Personally, I'll accept either PS1 or PSX as the abbreviation for the original PlayStation. PS on its own just looks weird for some reason.

I miss the XrossMediaBar that the PSX introduced. Why did Sony get rid of it for the PS4 and Vita when it worked just fine for the PS3 and PSP?
>>
>>3163856
We just called it 'Playstation'. Is 'PSX' an American thing?
>>
>>3165013
>he thinks people called it PEE ESS ECKS
everybody called it playstation you dimwit psx was only an abbreviation
>>
>>3165007
We know.
>>
>ps-x
neat
>>
>>3165007
Maybe they though people liked the more bloated 360 menu, and sony now caters to the west so they got rid of it.
>>
>>3165028
PS-X lies inside every BIOS and game exectuable ever for the PS1, it's not even that big of a secret it was the internal name.

I theorized >>3164010 as soon as the actual SNES CD surfaced, although for a different reason (keeping everyone up to date with the new standalone project so that the various documents for the SNES CD didn't confuse interns which only had to look at stuff with PS-X written on it).

It also bears a slight resemblance to the Satellaview's codename.
>>
>>3163851
it's a dumb shit American thing
>>
In other news, the Atari 2600 used to be called the VCS. In fact many old timers still call it the VCS and cartridges "tapes".
>>
>>3163851
Hey at least its not as bad as calling the S.N.E.S the "shnnehzz". Or the N.E.S. the "neehhhzzz". Or the genesis the "mehgah-dreyevvvhhh".
>>
>>3165094
Why did they call them tapes?
>>
I remember people just calling it a PlayStation
>>
When Playstation first released, nobody knew there would be a PS2. No kid went around talking about going home to play PS1. It was just Playstation

Then PS2 was announced, and Sony announced the slim and "portable" playstation model PSone.
>>
>>3165109
vhs tapes
cassette tapes
vidya tapes
>>
File: actually-en-anglais.jpg (7KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
actually-en-anglais.jpg
7KB, 267x189px
>>3164876
>people literally NOT BORN in the first year of PSX
>not underage
>>
>>3164876
Anyone who is younger than 25 is still underage scum.
>>
>>3163851
Why can't people just call it The PlayStation? That's what I called, when the PS2 was released, we called it the PS1 or original PlayStation. Why is this dumb pissing contest and need to be "more retro" a thing anyway? This is /v/ tier shit.
>>
File: Big Rig Carrying Fruit.jpg (74KB, 460x456px) Image search: [Google]
Big Rig Carrying Fruit.jpg
74KB, 460x456px
>>3165745
In the first week that this board was made there was threads about this shit. This isn't /v/ tier it's just fucking typical 4chan shit. Quit acting like superior fucking hipsters and just discuss the topic you massive shitposting bitch
>>
>>3165752
This whole thread is a damn shitpost.
>>
File: casual-dehyde.jpg (7KB, 265x190px) Image search: [Google]
casual-dehyde.jpg
7KB, 265x190px
>>3165765
>>3165765
nigger
>>
Net yaroze anyone?
>>
All the magazines in the 90s called it PSX.

At least the ones I bought here in Australia at the time.
>>
I was born in 1978 and have literally never heard anyone call it a PSX
>>
In my part of the world, ALL the magazines abbreviated it to PSX. But no one ever said it aloud in conversation. It was "PlayStation" in speech, but PSX in written form in magazines.

The magazines quickly abandoned the PSX usage as soon as the PSOne (smaller version of the PSX) and PS2 existed simultaneously.
>>
File: small_1752753511[1].jpg (61KB, 312x432px) Image search: [Google]
small_1752753511[1].jpg
61KB, 312x432px
>1. your country
>2. your age
>3. did you call Sony Playstation a PSX?

1. Poland
2. 27
3. yes, all gaming magazines did (pic related actually comes out to this day, but obviously they moved to modern consoles)
>>
>>3166627
Neo>Psx Extreme
>>
>>3163851

I remember tons of cheat code books and old websites calling it the "PSX".

No one called it "PS1" as there was no PS2. It was either "PSX" or "Playstation".

Look, it was the 90's and the letter X was hip. It just sort of happened.
>>
>>3163971
Obviously they would say that because the PS2 hadn't come out. It's like how people call Super Mario Bros "Mario 1" and Sonic the Hedgehog "Sonic 1".
>>
>>3165021
Why was the x a relevant requirement?
When did you ever write down PSX?
No one had a fucking mobile phone to text back then and barely anyone had or used the internet except for maybe going on a flash website when your parents would let you use dial up.

At the time if we had to write it, it would just be fucking PS.
>>
>>3166849
fuck off underage board shitter

if you didn't have mobile or internet back then, you're obviously not a credible source now
>>
>>3165104
>Or the genesis the "mehgah-dreyevvvhhh".

Mega Drive is the original name, take it and love it amerilard
>>
File: home.png (297KB, 878x900px) Image search: [Google]
home.png
297KB, 878x900px
>anime

I'm not surprised
>>
>>3163851
Because before there was going to be a second playstation, they called it PSX. I was old enough to remember

Basically, this:
>>3166701
>>
File: Panasonic 8-Track Player.jpg (48KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Panasonic 8-Track Player.jpg
48KB, 1280x720px
>>3165109
>>3165164
They actually resembled 8-track tapes more than anything else.
>>
>all the gaming magazines called it the PSX you underage shitter
>i've never heard of a single person call it the PSX

These threads could end for good if someone, anyone, posted some proof from 90s websites or gaming magazines. Not me, though, archive.org is down.
>>
>>3167046
Here's your proof.
>>
>>3167046
It's a bait/autism thread. We've had this (and the endless FF, Zelda, & N64 vs. PS wars) thread since the beginning.
>>
>>3166627
>USA
>24
>Yes

I'm positive we were calling it the PSX well before that DVD thing, and a friend of mine (those of you who browse /r9k/ know him as Egg Man apparently) used to read all the gaming mags and watch Extended Play and such.
>>
>>3166915
>Mobile
>Mid 90's

Fucking lol. Looks like we got a richfag over here.
>>
I bet you also say Nintendo 64 instead of Ultra 64, you underage shitter.
>>
>>3163851
Because veedeeyogayms magazines. Is it so hard not to be autismo?
>>
>>3163904
UNDERA- oh.
>>
>>3163987
>I wonder, is this what happened to history?

who founded Rome, Romulus

in some 3 thousand years, after massive EMP atom bombs in ww5 erase most of our digital records (all paper was used as fuel after ww4) George washington will be known as the discoverer & founder of america, and republic and the 13 states.

after data links to ancient satellite are re-estabilished, the most dedicated historian will know the truth, but primary school teacher will still swer that george washinton was responsible for events that happened roughly 30 centuries ago (basically within a span of 200 years)

you're watching a small demonstration of this phenomenon, even with there are records easy to consult to check the facts, ppl jump to wrong conclusions.

i ever read it, but i heard that one aspect of society that adous huxley discusses in brave new world... opne of these days i gotta pick it up
>>
>>3164016
>PS1 refers to the white model that came later. Only underage call the older grey model PS1.

no, in abbreviated form, it was called PSONE

i dont recall how long after ps2 was announced and the original console becamo ps1

in my non-english country we called the second one PS"one" (one in english) and the other first console either still psx or ps1(1 in my language, when ps2 ps1 and psone coexisted in stores, magazines, and conversations)

some even called psone by mini, even it was marginally slimmer, or ps"white" (white in our lang)

(we also got to calling the fisrt ps[x][1]"square" when wanting to be sure to differentiate it from ps"white")
>>
>>3164876
I was born in 98 but I was still born after the release of the original PlayStation so that makes me underage concerning this topic. PSX has always alluded me but I was never a cunt saying what it was or wasn't. But whenever I hear it mentioned they call it the PS1.
>>
It's pronounced PLAY-stay-shun
>>
>>3165752
>this is vintage shitposting so it's ok
>>
>>3165021
>everybody called it playstation
pee essex is much easier to speak

i used it just as much as playstation

it wasnt just an abbreviation used in magazines, dont talk about it with such authority if you didnt live in the epoch
>>
>>3166627
1. Brasil
2. 33
3. Yes, psx

seems you are too late to the thread, noone will reply
>>
>>3167046
>archive.org

probably to remove more content as they kowtow to copyright claims and make more and more roms "stream only(TM)"
>>
I only ever remember it being called Playstation. For a few years after the PS2 came out I still thought of the original model as the Playstation, reserving PS1 for the redesigned model. Looking back at stuff that I wrote around the time the PS2 came out I called them the Playstation and the Playstation 2.
>>
>>3166627
South Africa
Yes, and all gaming mags we got from the britbongs did too.
>>
>>3166627
Canada
PSX or PlayStation interchangeably
>>
>>3163851
Because it's fun to watch autistic babies rage.

>>3163987
No. Some kid on the internet doesn't write history books. They write wikipedia articles.

>>3164016
>PS1=PSone
>underage irony
>>
>>3166627
USA
We used PSX and Playstation interchangeably, PS1 became the defacto nomenclature almost immediately after the PS2 announced. Nobody I knew had a PSOne though I remember seeing them at Software Etc.
>>
>>3163987
Minor pop culture and internet history will most likely be documented incorrectly because know-it-all youths are more plentiful (and care more about trying to show off their knowledge) than people who were actually around for stuff. For instance:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dsfargeg

I'm sure there are many other old 4chan shit on that site that are poorly documented or not documented at all, and when people are trying to research 4chan "history" that'll likely be the first place they go.
>>
>>3166627
1. USA
2. 27
3. In real life, no. On the internet, absolutely. Also, shoutouts to game mags that called it PSX.
>>
>>3169083
No, they can still be underage for another 7 months.
>>
People called the PlayStation a Nintendo here.
>>
I guess ePSXe chose their name for a reason...
>>
>>3166627
>USA
>26
>People called it the Playstation or the PSX. When the PS2 came out, people started calling it the PS1 or the PSX. I and I'm sure many other people were aware that the PSOne existed but we still called it that, I guess because back them people weren't so retarded that they didn't get what they were talking about
>>
The whole PSX bullshit is only cited by retards that didn't understand it themselves, googled it, and got even more confused.

Yeah, we're definitely mixing it up with that one piece of sony hardware that literally nobody fucking bought or used or knew about or cared about. That's the true PSX right there. Retards.
>>
>>3171886
It is probably a from of the "Did you know that SMB2 was originally blah blah blah" thing that people throw out there to make themselves seem smart about the topic of old games ("Did you know that the PSX was actually a blah blah blah"), despite this particular version actually having the opposite result of revealing the person as an underage.

I mean, just read the question shown in the OP. That guy didn't really want an answer, he was clearly trying to show off and school those idiots online who call the PlayStation the PSX. His avatar makes it clear that he was almost certainly born after or right before the release of the PS2.
>>
>>3163851
PSX is how it was referred to in gaming mags at the time, as well as on the internet. Everyone I knew just called it a Playstation until the PS2 became popular, and then that's when PS1 started gaining traction.
>>
>>3163851
PSX name is older than the 'PSX' DVR/Console unit, it was the named used for PS1 by magazines both before and for several years after release.

It's 'wrong' but it's ingrained.
>>
Can we just sticky this thread and remove the post cap to contain the psx vs playstation shitposting?
>>
Europoors will call it PS1 because they don't know any better and they probably didn't get the console until the PS2, making them dumb.

In glorious America, everyone from media to SCEA to gamers called it the PSX.
>>
Because that was it's development name and that was what everyone was refered to it as during the buildup to its release.

But you wouldn't know this if you were too young/weren't born in 1994.
>>
>>3166627
>Germany
>24
>Just Playstation and nowadays Playstation 1 (eins)
>>
Use the Wayback machine and look at any long-standing popular gaming site as it was in '98, or buy a magazine from that time period.

Everybody called it the PSX, probably because saying PEE-ESS would have sounded weird.
There's nothing much more to it than that.

I used to see PSX written in magazines and knew it meant playstation, even though I only ever said "playstation" irl.
>>
>>3171886
I'm somebody, and I bought a PSX just last week.
it was only 5400 yen. Still not sure if it works.
>>
>>3176634
Interesting, I've spent a few weeks in Hannover in 1999 and everyone I've talked to about video games used Playstation and PSX interchangeably.
>>
>>3163851
psx was its name, is its name and forever shall be its name.
>>
http://5years.doomworld.com/interviews/harryteasley/

>How did you become involved in PSX Doom?
>to get the game to run on the PSX console.
>We started the N64 conversion before the PSX one

PSX FOREVER
>>
>PSX nerds
ayy, bet you're all married to fat chicks.
>>
>>3163851
First: Getting mixed up in debating nomenclature is extraordinarily autistic

Second: Back in my day (circa 1998-99) I ran a pretty popular irc channel that specialized in piracy. Even back then PlayStation rips were always labeled as PSX.
>>
>>3176683
Pics of bread on hood

>>3177382
I married a skinny little church girl 15 years younger than I. Been fattening her up though - currently on a mutual beach body regime

>>3177414
I would have liked to have participated in that scene bit I was still dialup back then. Had friends who still worked at Babbage's and hooked me up with "checkouts" to rip. Yes, plebs this is exactly the kind of shit that has happened with that last in stock "new" Gamestop game you get in a sleeve with the shelf box. Literally gang raped.
>>
>PS1

This triggers me so much. If you want to be autistic about the PSX, just drop the fucking X and refer to it as PS. It was just fucking Playstation when it came out. There was no fucking one, that only came later and refers to the fisher price looking mini version.
>>
Ultra PSX 64 is what my parents bought me.
>>
>>3170576
I had a PSone. Its a great machine. It would be small enough to fit in my front backpack pocket and I could take it to school or on vacation.
>>
if you dont know that PSX, PS1, and PsOne are all the same thing you are a fucking retard.
>>
File: 300px-Console_psx.jpg (17KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Console_psx.jpg
17KB, 300x200px
>>3179013
Not really ladpai.
>>
>>3179018
Stop.
>>
>>3179045
Never.
>>
>>3179018
That's not a console though, that's a DVR that can play PS2 games.
>>
>>3179018
A retro game store nearby has a legit PSX for sale. I'm always tempted to buy it as a "fuck you" to the underage autists who complain about the PSX abbreviation on this board.
>>
>>3163851
i don't fucking care

neither of you should care either
>>
>>3177487
I'm not quite understanding. So you undid the shrink wrap/factory packaging, ripping the game a few times, putting far less stress on the disc than playing it for a couple hours ever would, resealed it to look exactly the same, and put it back on the shelf? Or you ripped some used game a bunch of times and still sold it?
>>
>>3180523
I took the guts from behind the counter and ripped them. The same guts that any employee who wants to can take home overnight on "checkout" to play and treat however he chooses. The same guts you get in a sleeve tucked into the display box when you buy the last "new" copy of a game.
>>
>>3166627
>Australia
>28
>Yes
>>
>>3163851

Some people used the term PSX.

But back in the day just calling it a Playstation was acceptable, or if online PS. But PSX was acceptable.

Then a couple years after the PS2 some people started to call it the PS1. Also a couple years after the PS2 was on the market Sony rolled out a PSX which was a weird DVR-Tivo thing that played PS2 games.

Lets not forget the PSone though...

So in conclusion...

Playstation = PS, PS1, PSone, PSX.
PSX = Playstation 1 and weird DVR PS2 machine.
>>
>>3180529
>Guts

You mean the GAME? Is that what you're saying? What SLEEVE? What kind of retards shop at gamestop and think a game not in the original packaging is new?
Thread posts: 131
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.