[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which is better: buy a GB Boy Colour or actual Game Boy Color?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 15

File: gbboycolour.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gbboycolour.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
Which is better: buy a GB Boy Colour or actual Game Boy Color?
>>
Buy a Gameboy Advance SP.
>>
>>3163426
Game Boy Color, and don't mod it
>>
>>3163450
This.
>>
Buy Gameboy Color. Dont buy shity clones.
>>
>>3163426
Gameboy color, the fuck do you think this is?
>>
Buy both. Use what you like, sell the other.
Who cares what the internet says??
>>
>>3163426
The GB Boy seemed amazing, until I heard about the screen. I can't stand non-integer scaling on lowres LCDs like that.
>>
bit of a /g/ question, but I'll try anyway. If you completely disregard ergonomics and allow the usage of roms instead of original cartridges, how small could a modern fully functional replica of the GBC be? I'm talking all the buttons and ports working, screen working, containing battery that lasts the full 20h, reflective display and so on.
>>
File: 1341302326578.jpg (237KB, 900x1091px) Image search: [Google]
1341302326578.jpg
237KB, 900x1091px
>>3163426
Color. Even Japan knows superfluous u's are retarded
>>
>>3163676
>start and select buttons in wrong order

RRREEEEEEEEEE-
>>
File: image.png (45KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
45KB, 200x200px
I'd have to say game boy color because I've had one almost my whole life
>>
>>3163635
Much smaller than that. That one looks like it's built around an android watch like a MotoActv or Chinese clone with a 1.6" screen plus one of those little key fob bluetooth controllers in a custom enclosure. That's how I would do it and it would be the easiest but if you were fabricating your own boards and shit like that you would build around the smallest available LCDs that are for use inside video glasses - something like .25" and you would need to use toothpicks to press the buttons but there's no point in that. Just get a micro and a flash cart.
>>
>>3163676
>a+b are swapped
>start + select are swapped
>spells color with a u
>>
Good to see people have stopped praising the GB Boy around here out of buyer's remorse. It's a typical terrible shit clone and only got any attention due to having a screen light.

Buy a real GBC or, if you need a lit screen, a GBASP. Don't get fooled into thinking any Chinese pirate company has ever produced a superior replacement for real hardware.
>>
File: EniacChipPackaged.jpg (86KB, 812x576px) Image search: [Google]
EniacChipPackaged.jpg
86KB, 812x576px
>>3163732
>Much smaller than that
Oh, I have no doubt. That pic was just inspiration/context.

>but there's no point in that
the point is miniaturization for the hell of it, to take portability and scaling to ridiculous levels, just because you can.

>Just get a micro and a flash cart
The micro is gorgeous, but it's unfortunately a GBA. I did not ask for something playable. That was never the point. I have a fully functional GBC if I wanted to play it.
>>
>>3163676
This picture triggers me on several levels.

OT: Never had a clone but the original one is still good as long as you got enough light (both sunlight or from lamps).
>>
>>3163732
>>3163745
Micros don't even support backwards compatibility.
>>
>>3163732
A GBC on a little key chain would be cool
>>
>>3163776
Say no more.
>>
>>3163780
had one of these, loved it. A GBC it ain't though. Not much of a GB either. Cute G&W at most
>>
>>3163786
correction, I have one of these, Donkey Kong Junior. Dead battery though
>>
even if the clone can be argued to be objectively better, anyone even considering it over the gb color is a fag.
>>
>>3163801
It's just a desire to get the most and pay the least.
>>
>>3163801
it's not even a clone. If it was one, things would be a bit different. I'd definitely drop a few bucks for a piece of hardware that looks and works identical to a GBC (that includes the reflective displays), at a fraction of the cost of the real thing, and with massively increased battery life (still needs to run on AAs), if only as a backup for when my real GBC fails
>>
I love my gb boy color. Just picked it up a couple weeks ago. Other than the slightly stiff dpad and the slightly off aspect ratio, its perfect.
>>
>>3163837
what's its resolution?
what's color reproduction like?
do you have a GBC?
>>
>>3163812
What do you mean it's not a clone? You're talking about the GB Boy Colour, right?

That thing is the very definition of a shitty Chinese clone. Most people who own them are too dumb to notice, but it has a multitude of inaccuracies compared to the real thing. Stretched aspect ratio with a grainy display, shitty dpad and buttons, very inaccurate sound chip that only supports mono sound (even through the headphone jack), and flimsy build quality all around. The ONLY pro these things have is a bright backlit screen, but it's not worth it amid all the other problems. Just get an AGS-101 GBASP if you need a bright screen that badly.

>>3163846
I'm not the anon you're replying to, but I have both. The GB Boy has a stretched-out, grainy resolution and the colors are all way oversaturated. A GBASP plays GBC games with oversaturated colors as well, though, so you won't be getting the original colors with a screen light either way unless you mod a real GBC.

Overall, though, the GB Boy is a waste of money. Only buy one if you're content with settling for a shitty Chinese clone and the experience that comes with those.
>>
>>3163854
>What do you mean it's not a clone?
Clones should look and behave identical. It's just closely based on it, but not more. You yourself are listing all the differences proving it's not a clone.

>The ONLY pro these things have is a bright backlit screen
That's one of the biggest reasons against it for me. I loathe backlit screens, especially for GBC games.

>stretched-out, grainy resolution
I meant numbers. I heard conflicting infos on it being 160x144 or not.

>colors are all way oversaturated
a side effect of the backlit display
>>
File: gbasp_dk.jpg (52KB, 1278x721px) Image search: [Google]
gbasp_dk.jpg
52KB, 1278x721px
Why would anyone get a gameboy color (I have one that I bought when they were new, but I never use it anymore) when the GBA can play its carts perfectly? I only ever use my GBA sp to play GBC or GB games.
>>
>>3163871
>when the GBA can play its carts perfectly
it can't
>>
>>3163865
That's not what "clone" means in terms of game consoles. No clone system has ever performed identically to the original, but they're still called clones because they try to replicate the original. I guess if you really need a new term for Chinese game systems that aren't identical to the original, here's a new designation you can use: "piece of shit".

As for resolution, sorry, I'm not an expert on pixel counting so I couldn't tell you even from my GB Boy. But it doesn't look good, if that's what you're wondering.
>>
>>3163871
It doesn't play them perfectly, just very well. The sound chip is different (but not by much), the colors are oversaturated, and it has no IR port.
>>
>>3163876
>here's a new designation you can use: "piece of shit"
works for me

>But it doesn't look good, if that's what you're wondering
kind of. Was looking for a quantification of the bad. Maybe someone else knows. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>3163880
>>3163875

lol, you guys are such sperglords. It's maybe not exactly the same visuals (imo, it's better visuals because you have a back light) and the sound chip isn't the same.... But it's soooo close. I mean it might be cool as a novelty to play it on a GBC but I have news for you: the best sound chip on the gameboys in most people's opinion is the original GB anyway, not the GBC. So who cares? It's such minor, meaningless differences.
>>
Also, I think I used the IR port on my GBC a grand total of one time. Usually we just used the link cable it was easier and more reliable.
>>
>>3163892
>imo, it's better visuals because you have a back light
your o is yours alone

>I have news for you
no, you don't. Really tore that straw man a new one though, well done
>>
>>3163892
I wasn't saying it was worse, I was just refuting your point that it was perfect. I personally play GBC games on my GBASP at night, but some people, myself included, prefer the original GBC where possible.
>>
>>3163897
you should probably learn what "strawman" means before you randomly use it during an argument as some sort of silver bullet.

How the hell was I making a strawman?
>>
>>3163940
nobody said the GBC has the best sound of the GB family
>>
File: GBC-DONE-2.jpg (90KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
GBC-DONE-2.jpg
90KB, 600x450px
Anyone tried a frontlight mod?
http://www.mylkstuff.com/page40.htm
>>
>>3163846
Not sure what the resolution is exactly. Games end up looking slightly squished.

Color reproduction is bright and saturated. Some colorized games look almost as good as the gba game colors

I had a gbc from the time i was 6 until just a few years ago
>>
>>3163986
>http://www.mylkstuff.com/page40.htm
>Done by Sacrificing 2 GBA SP

NICE JACKASS
>>
>>3164008
calm down, it's just GBAs, nothing of value
>>
File: d68e69vswjwtzhivycrb[1].gif (1MB, 636x288px) Image search: [Google]
d68e69vswjwtzhivycrb[1].gif
1MB, 636x288px
>>3163762
There's a very capable GBC emulator for GBA that will run from a flashcart

>>3163745
There's no ASIC I'm aware of for GBC but NOACs are small enough that I believe one could fit it into a case having og game-boy proportions to a .25" LCD screen although the battery might force it to be thicker than would be proportionate.

Here's a pic of a tiny handheld built around an arduino and built to actually be playable with an OLED display but I believe that with a reflective LCD display of GB native resolution and no fucks given about practical controls you could shrink it smaller still.
>>
>>3164008
Broken sp's are everywhere
>>
>>3163449
>gb sp
>mfw i have amerifag bear claws for hands
>that cramped feeling in my palm

OP should get a base gba.
>>
>>3163986
I see no reason not to just use an SP.
>>
>>3163676
>being literally twitter
>>
>>3163716
ha I was just visiting BEEP! Akihabara and they were testing a Sky Kid PCB.
>>
>>3163871
>Black borders
>>
File: gbc.jpg (101KB, 720x1218px) Image search: [Google]
gbc.jpg
101KB, 720x1218px
>>3165649
That's your problem with it? Really? There's a good half an inch black border on the original device. The couple black pixels are the least impact the GBA has on GBC games
>>
>>3165683
>There's a good half an inch black border on the original device
Which are clearly external plastic instead of part of the screen.

It's another problem to throw onto the list.
>>
>>3165696
>Which are clearly external plastic instead of part of the screen
black is black. The alternative would be stretching the GBC image, causing even worse issues.
>>
>>3165704
>black is black
The GBA's screen doesn't yield "black" though, it yields dark grey.
>The alternative would be stretching the GBC image, causing even worse issues.
The alternative is playing on a screen with the proper aspect ratio.
>>
>>3165705
the black borders ARE the proper ratio
>>
>>3165696
No, it's not. The sp can play games at their original resolution. Unless I'm missing something. What's wrong with playing with black borders? Stretched makes the screen a muddled mess.
>>
>>3165708
The dark grey borders are inserted to ensure the image is the proper ratio on a screen with an improper one.
>>
>>3165710
>What's wrong with playing with black borders?
It's distracting. Especially with the stretch button ever-present.

I'm not saying it should be stretched, I'm saying a noticeable area where the screen is on but displaying nothing to maintain aspect ratio is inferior to simply using a screen of the proper aspect ratio to begin with.
>>
>>3165705
>The GBA's screen doesn't yield "black" though, it yields dark grey.
the plastic is not pitch black either. It's close enough.

>The alternative is playing on a screen with the proper aspect ratio.
The GBA doesn't have a screen with GBC aspect ratio.

Look, you little shit. I don't like the GBA. It's a shit system, and its BC is mediocre at best. Yet you're trying to argue on a useless technicality, and it's pissing me off. There are plenty sane ways to show how bad GBA BC is. Using pixel perfect output is not one of them.
>>
>>3165716
Fair point.
>>
>>3165717
>the plastic is not pitch black either.
It's opaque plastic as opposed to a clearly on, backlit (yes you can turn that off, but then why the fuck are you using a GBA?) LCD screen outputting an area of nothingness.
>The GBA doesn't have a screen with GBC aspect ratio.
I didn't know that! I was, of course, suggesting using a screen with the correct aspect ratio under the assumption the GBA had such a screen.

>and it's pissing me off
Then you have serious issues. Raising a personal preference for how an old videogame is displayed shouldn't be cause for anger.
(inb4 "where do you think we are")
>>
>>3165726
>but then why the fuck are you using a GBA?
Because you don't have a GBC around, and the pre-backlit GBAs have at least mildly better color reproduction than the backlit GBAs AND the black area is not glowing.

>outputting an area of nothingness
The alternative is leaving it white, which is the default state of the LCD

>under the assumption the GBA had such a screen
It doesn't. So it was a moot point right away.

>Raising a personal preference for how an old videogame is displayed
That's not my problem. Just dipshits trying to argue technicalities, trying to win arguments only they are having. It's impossible to have any normal exchange on this board, because there's always shitheads like you that value winning over actual statements.
>>
>>3165114
they feel like crap in my hand and the game sticks out way to far
>>
>>3165736
>Because you don't have a GBC around
Making a virtue of a necessity, are we?
>the pre-backlit GBAs have at least mildly better color reproduction
Instead of just black borders, you can have an entirely black screen. [IT'S A JOKE IT'S A JOKE IT'S A JOKE.]
>The alternative is leaving it white, which is the default state of the LCD
The alternative is using a system with a screen that actually fits what's being displayed.
>But you might not own one or want to buy another system!
Then why do you care what the 'best' way to do it is? You're stuck with what you've got.
>It doesn't.
That was the joke. Why on earth would I have assumed they made a GBA with a GBC-ratio screen?
>always shitheads like you that value winning over actual statements.
I hope that projector you're using is in GBC resolution. It'd be a shame for it to output black bars to avoid stretching the image.
>>
>>3165748
>Making a virtue of a necessity, are we?
You're the one that responded on GBA BC. So argue on the merits of the GBA, or stfu.

>Instead of just black borders, you can have an entirely black screen
First gen GBA wrongly got a reputation for being too dark. The GBC had a weak LCD that tends to wash out colors. Developers compensated for it by using dark and saturated colors. When launch GBA games were in development GB devs used their old tools, producing the dark colors. When they saw the games on actual units with higher quality screens the shock was quite thorough, but it was too late for changes. There's one GBC game I know of that specifically changes its palettes when played in a GBA, and I know that later GBA games stopped using the highly saturated GBC palettes, but the harm to the GBA's reputation was done, and tards like you keep repeating it.
On a closely related point: not correcting for the GBCs palette is one of the much better points where GBA fucked up GBC BC, and where the GBA SP is so much weaker, because Nintendo was aware of the problem and did fuckall to fix it, and everything to emphasize it even more. It'd be trivial to pass the colors through some hardwired correction, but they didn't bother. It's not trivial to cut off parts of the screen to shut up your retarded whining.

>The alternative is using a system with a screen that actually fits what's being displayed.
Not available in the post-GBC range
>>
>>3165759
>So argue on the merits of the GBA
I'm arguing on it's demerits.
>and tards like you keep repeating it.
Perhaps I just imagined it, so let me try again:
IT'S A JOKE IT'S A JOKE IT'S A JOKE
IT'S
A
JOKE.

>It's not trivial to cut off parts of the screen to shut up your retarded whining.
It's not like I'm arguing it shouldn't have bothered, I'm pointing out an area in which the GBA is inferior as a result of distraction induced by a design compromise.
>Not available in the post-GBC range
Thankfully we live in the post-eBay world where the GBC is always available, so long as you've got enough rubies! :^)
>>
>>3165759
>First gen GBA wrongly got a reputation for being too dark.
Oh. So GBC is really a lot brighter than GBA?
>>
File: shantae_palettes.png (11KB, 334x121px) Image search: [Google]
shantae_palettes.png
11KB, 334x121px
>>3165773
Pic is from that one GBC game I know that compensated for the GBA. You can assume that both palettes look "the same" on GBA and GBC. As you can see, the GBC palette is much darker than the GBA palette. The display washes out the colors so badly, they look roughly similar on both systems.
>>
File: 1407368072666.png (94KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1407368072666.png
94KB, 1600x900px
>>3165773
pic is a random google result. "Real Colors" here means these are the actual RGB values, as found on the ROM, without any correction. "Game Boy Colors" and "Gambatte" both show attempts by various emulators to adjust the palette, so it looks roughly like on real hardware. You can assume the GBA output is somewhere between "Gambatte" and "Real Colors"
>>
>>3165716
What do you do to watch 4:3 media on a 16:9 TV? Just deal with the border Spergicus
>>
>>3165716
There's ALWAYS a border, because the screen doesn't fill your entire field of view. And black is literally the least distracting border possible. It's better than having buttons or brand names or shiny surfaces, which is what you get when the aspect ratio matches.
>>
>>3163426
0/troll/shitpost
>>
you ever noticed if your looking at ordering a fugging gameboy color online that 75% of them don't have the battery cover? what do they do intentonally throw the battery cover away so they can make el dinero's by selling replacement battery covers?
>>
>>3163741
And the point is that it's being different and as such it is different to a Gameboy Color.
Clearly the connotations were above you.
and yes she is still an attention whore and stupid for feeling the need to do it.
>>
>>3163692
You notice that but not the same issue with A and B buttons?
>>
>>3163449
No.
GBA with AGS-101 screen is acceptable, though.
>>
>>3163426
GB Boy Colour. Have both, can confirm chink shit is better.
>>
>>3163780
I have 2 gb keychains :)
>>
>>3166628
prove it
>>
File: 7JWubbO.jpg (310KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
7JWubbO.jpg
310KB, 2560x1536px
>>3163810
yeah. that is what a fag thinks.

>>3163812
yeah i know it aint a clone. whatever. that copy shit, call it what you want.

as i said, even if objective arguments can be done and even if they can be right, getting one of those over a color is just unthinkable.

itd be like eating an orange and saying "hey this tastes like that orange-flavored candy i like". but anyway, i guess this is not understandable if you didnt grow up with a gb color.
>>
>>3166739
>getting one of those over a color is just unthinkable
If the quality is there, if the replication is good, then you get more recent hardware, built to much different tolerances, with much less wear (applies to the physical bits, like buttons and ports). And even if you have an actual GBC, it can still be a good "daily abuse" machine, while the GBC itself is protected safe and warm, because that shit is much harder to replace.

>itd be like eating an orange and saying "hey this tastes like that orange-flavored candy i like"
With the GB Boy that might be the case, it's fairly mediocre, if not outright bad hardware. But that's not what I was suggesting

>i guess this is not understandable if you didnt grow up with a gb color
Oh get the fuck off your high horse, asshole.
>>
>all these idiots who don't know the difference between the Game Boy Color and GB Boy Colour
>>
>>3163426
A Gameboy Advance SP I only use mine for Gameboy and Gameboy Color games.
I use my Gamwboy Micro for GBA games because
the screen is extremely clear and well lit.
>>
>>3166082
>What do you do to watch 4:3 media on a 16:9 TV?
I don't. the few things that interest me on tv are new and not yet available online (so filmed in 16:9)

On a PC screen, the window is appropriately sized. There are still distractions in the background, but they're distractions I actually use like browser windows instead of pointless black bars.
>>
>>3163692
>frog fag is on the wrong board
REEEEEEE
>>
>>3165781
Gambatte looks great
but really if you want the exact same experience emulating you could just set your contrast or brightness very low right?
>>
>>3163426
Clone hardware is for faggots
>>
>>3163426
>GB Boy
Is that real?
>>
>>3167536
No, it's fake. It's a Photoshop.
>>
File: readImage.jpg (29KB, 502x362px) Image search: [Google]
readImage.jpg
29KB, 502x362px
>>3166762
>Oh get the fuck off your high horse, asshole.
>>
>>3167529
/thread
/every non-nostalgia clone thread on vr
>>
>back then our eyes did the effort
>today technology does it for us
>>
>>3167507
>you could just set your contrast or brightness very low right?
no, the transformation is a bit more complicated than that. Various emulators have their own approximations and your best bet is to just pick one that looks right for you. In most cases raw RGB is not it. Everything beyond that is preference.
>>
File: 20160426_105847.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160426_105847.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>3166695
Here you go
>>
>>3168598
>being a kraut
>>
>>3168598
mine's the green one. Do yours still work?
>>
>>3163676
Then why use a word with three of them.
>>
>>3168598
>colorful backgrounds
I was amazed how G&W games looked better than other portable games around.
>>
>>3169243
Yes. They working.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.