[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I miss demo discs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11

File: demo.jpg (765KB, 993x1000px) Image search: [Google]
demo.jpg
765KB, 993x1000px
I miss demo discs
>>
Hell yeah. N64 didn't get this kinda action. Did you play the one with the dual stick cooking game?
>>
I miss when demos where free and consumers had the power to try it before they bought it, forcing developers to actually create something worth showing off/respond to feedback and fix what was broken before launch.

Also I loved Squaresoft's demos, the presentation was great. Xenogears was pretty funny how it's demo broke the fourth wall.
>>
File: pcgamerdemosbr.jpg (178KB, 1200x1033px) Image search: [Google]
pcgamerdemosbr.jpg
178KB, 1200x1033px
>>3151579
Only image I could find in google, but I imagine there were CD-ROMs with the NA version?
>>
>>3151670
a lot of the times they put out the flashiest parts of the game demo so you would get the highest point of the game

which was weird
>>
File: cmon.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
cmon.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>3151579
I must have played the Tenchu demo literally dozens of times. Good times
>>
File: brooding-as-fuck.jpg (123KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
brooding-as-fuck.jpg
123KB, 1024x768px
>>3151670
>>3151680

It's nice how some Square demos actually became pretty interesting collector's items, like the first FF8 one, which was the Dollet mission but with Rinoa instead of Best Girl, and the official costumes instead of the student uniforms (CG cutscenes included)
>>
>>3151687
And a whole track that became unused in the final version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDRCF31ggY
>>
>>3151658
>Did you play the one with the dual stick cooking game?
Yep.
>>
>>3151687
Yeah it's pretty crazy that they went back and re-worked those cutscenes to not spoil (I guess) that plot point. Unless they already had two copies of the movies already made.

>>3151696
I love the prelude remix that plays on the menu screen for the VII and VIII demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p63W8k_yNM
>>
>>3151670
Demos are still around. You should get a 3DS or XB360. There are TONS of demos on those things. One of the great things Microsoft did in the 360 era was that any Arcade or Indie game had to have a playable demo. I've spent so many hours just playing random demos of games, and found some weird gems I love.

Demos are awesome, I agree.
>>
>>3151696
Is that the one that was too close the theme from The Rock? That was a cool demo.
>>
>>3151702
>>3151714
Know where to find that demo or how's it called exactly? I want to give it a try.
>>
>>3151735
I think it was just called Final Fantasy VIII demo. It came as a pack in with some middle of the road game, Musashi or Chocobo Dungeon or something. I have no clue where you'd get it now. Probably an ISO download somewhere though.
>>
>>3151749
>Probably an ISO download somewhere though

That's kind of what I'm looking for, thanks. Apparently the PAL demo has even more tidbits changed? Or it's 1:1 with the final version?
>>
>>3151763
I haven't a clue. I played the demo back when I got it, but don't know anything else about it or if the PAL version had differences. Sorry couldn't help more.
>>
>>3151763
>Apparently the PAL demo has even more tidbits changed? Or it's 1:1 with the final version?
I'd like to know more about this.
>>
>>3151676
God, i played all those demos.
>>
File: 1417764078020.png (458KB, 788x590px) Image search: [Google]
1417764078020.png
458KB, 788x590px
>Playstation demo discs
>PC mod discs
>>
>>3151579
PC demo discs were my childhood gaming experience. Well that and having a few games like Road Rash and that Toy Story 2 game.
>>
>>3151687
Is there any game like FF8?
>>
File: 5BDO8.png (13KB, 384x224px) Image search: [Google]
5BDO8.png
13KB, 384x224px
>>3152998
You're not alone. I even miss the Pizza Hut I got mine from. Pretty clean place and had a Marvel Super Heroes cabinet in the front.
>tfw finishing a match with Proton Cannon in front of a crowd

There's a bank now where it just to be, sadly.
>>
>>3153059
Meant to quote OP
>>
>>3151579
I had this, Nintendo VHS tapes for Banjo/Jet Force Gemini and Pokemon, and a Dreamcast demo disc with Rayman 2 and MDK2 on it.
>>
File: samplerusbig.jpg (220KB, 969x487px) Image search: [Google]
samplerusbig.jpg
220KB, 969x487px
The Nights sampler that came with the Saturn was great. Back then I had a hard time finding good Saturn games (even Nights!), so I played the shit out of this demo until many years later I could play the full game.
It'd let you play 2 levels and since Nights is all about score, I replayed the shit out of the levels, I didn't care that it was just 2 levels, I loved it.

It also includes this "preview" video and song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EApcYQxK5E
>>
>>3151687
>>3151696
>>3151714
>what if someone modded FFVIII to keep the FFVII sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmslK3nngRU
>>
i played an old demo disc of tekken 3 with my cousin and picked it up for real recently for €25. feelsgoodman
>>
>>3151670
Dude demos are still around, they just don't come in discs anymore
>>
not really the same, but I always thought this demo was fucking awesome, and was convinced you could glitch the game to let you play the entire spyro game on it
>>
http://game-rave.com/?page_id=7265

Here's a master list of demo discs for the Playstation.
>>
>>3151658
>dual stick cooking game

I was a Nintenfag growing up so I didn't start getting into the PS1 until recently. Which game is this?
>>
File: PS1demo.jpg (14KB, 300x291px) Image search: [Google]
PS1demo.jpg
14KB, 300x291px
I had this one.

I don't particularly remember enjoying anything on it.
>>
File: psunderground.jpg (1MB, 2000x1160px) Image search: [Google]
psunderground.jpg
1MB, 2000x1160px
I found this at a thrift store yesterday.
Is there an interest in archiving these? Does anyone want scans/disc rips?
>>
>>3159503
>Does anyone want scans/disc rips?
Sure, that'd be cool.
>>
>>3151579
My main ones were Playstation Underground. There were a couple where you picked the demo/video from a train that went left and as the compartment opened it showed the picture of the game. It's where I found out about Jade Coccoon, Cool Boarders and Grandia.
I had a Pizza Hut one with the Chicago level of THPS and that was fun
Some old one with all the games in a grid, top left was Bloody Roar but you could only pick two characters
>>
>>3159414
I only played the demo. Pretty sure it was japan exclusive but it was fucking dope
>>
Coming from a poor family, I played the shit out of demo discs. One thing I remember playing with a lot was the dinosaur tech demo that came with demo1.

Also, post demo disc music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIjuOb4N3Dw
>>
>>3151696
Christ, even the unused track is fucking great. Nobuo was just inundated with creativity in this game.
>>
I have 25-30 of the OPSM UK ones. Just need to dig them out.
>>
>>3161218
Alright. I'll post them tomorrow. Don't let this thread die until then.
>>
>>3151696

This sounds suspiciously a lot like something else Im not placing at the moment.

Like law suit a lot
>>
I got a bunch of demo discs from old Playstation magazies (you know, OPM) that I got from a friend like two years after they first came out. Fun shit.

Not quite related but still cool - when I was a kid, for some reason I never found out, I got sent a video tape promoting Donkey Kong Country. It was practically a demo - like, 30 minutes long, showed a ton of gameplay, gave tips. And it came in this box that looked like the jungle. I think it's still in a box in storage somewhere. I loved to watch that tape, just because of how fun and interesting it was.

Some time later, when the game actually came out, I bought it and played the fuck out of it. Maybe, I suspect, simply because of that goddamned tape.
>>
>>3161702
yeah i got these every month and have about 50. honestly one of my favorite childhood memories was getting those demos, pouring through the magazines in awe and playing the shit out of each game

i remember the medievil demo was on a timer. must have played it over 20 times trying to speedrun it to see just a little more of the game..
>>
File: page3.jpg (777KB, 2537x1250px) Image search: [Google]
page3.jpg
777KB, 2537x1250px
>>3159503
>>3161218
I followed through with this.
https://mega.nz/#F!S0MCRSxC!u2GZf7etAAhWN9u6kpzsNg

The videos on disc 1 are pretty neat. I especially liked the one about creating the music for Spyro.
>>
>>3151702
That song is comfy as fuck
>>
>>3151670
>I miss when demos where free

The only time they were free was when they were up for download and you can still do that through piracy. Those PS1 demo discs that came with magazines were "free" but in reality they just jacked up the price of the mag to compensate it.
>>
>>3163090
Thank you very much mang
>>
>>3151670
What are you talking about.
Demos are free to download. That's one benefit of modern gaming, I don't have to buy magazines for demo discs, I just download the demos online, and can select which ones I want instead of being limited by what's available on disc.
>>
Giant Bomb has a cool premium feature where they play old demo discs from the Playstation era.

Not shilling though just a heads up. I still remember getting demo discs in even PS3 magazines.
>>
>>3162340
Shame when in the last couple of years of it's life they just kept repeating previous demos.
>>
>>3161976
SPENDING ALL HIS MONEY ON ME, ON ME
WHATCHU GONNA DO WITH ALL THEM HUMPS ALL THEM HUMPS UP IN MY BUMPS
>>
>>3151749
I'm pretty sure it was on one of the "SquareSoft samplers" as well in a Pizza Hut demo and an Official PlayStation Magazine one. Damn thing was everywhere. Should be ISOs of all three at Emuparadise
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.