[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Diablo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 8

File: Diablo_Coverart.png (93KB, 256x255px) Image search: [Google]
Diablo_Coverart.png
93KB, 256x255px
Post-mortem of Diablo at this year's GDC: http://gdcvault.com/play/1023469/Classic-Game-Postmortem

Direct link to video: http://s3-2u.digitallyspeaking.com/assets/ubm/gdc/sf16/840684_MJIP-vdd880-1300.mp4
>>
>>3143954
Is it intentional the video is 666mb?
>>
>>3144002
Have you tried playing it backwards? Maybe something happens then.
>>
This was really good. Thanks OP.

This article is also a great read:
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/in-their-own-words-an-oral-history-of-diablo-ii-with-david-brevik-max-schaefer-and-erich-schaefer
>>
Thanks, OP.

The guy speaking is nervous as hell, haha.
>>
I know very little about Diablo... but I know that I played Diablo II and its expansion when I was younger and really loved it.

Is Diablo I or III worth playing? I was never really very interested in Diablo III just because of the graphics... I loved the 2D graphics of the early games but I'm not really fond of the new 3D worlds. Most reviews say Diablo III is not that great either...

I'm really curious about Diablo I though. I've never really heard much about it. Is it worth playing if you've played the sequel?
>>
>>3145521
Diablo 1 and 2 have their differences. The three classes are defined by their attribute caps and their one and only innate skill (quick repair items, quick recharge staves, and trap disarming). You gain spells through books and anyone can learn them as long as you have the energy for them (yes energy actually matters in Diablo). There are no rare items or set items, only standard, magic, and unique items. The game actually does benefit from it because there are plenty of magic items that are better than unique items and the fact that when you see a magic item drop you WANT to pick it up unlike Diablo 2 in which later on in the game chances are you will skip out on picking up a lot of blue named items in favor of yellow or gold. So getting that next equipment upgrade was much more around the corner.

The game is slower paced and you cannot just run into a room instantly and start killing everything. You find yourself filing enemies through doorways or getting the jump on them when you lure them around corners.

While Diablo 2 is a journey across the land Diablo 1 is a journey into the bowels of hell. There is a real sense of progression from starting in the cathedral then making your way deeper and deeper, seeing the caves filled with lava and more hellish enemies until you actually set foot into Hell. It is worth playing through and do enjoy its low fantasy take. The Sorcerer is weak and then becomes stronger as he learns more spells that are slightly flashy while the Rouge and Warrior that often use physical attacks either fire or swing their weapon instead of becoming the human blur and mowing enemies down.
>>
>>3145521
3 is different, but truly enjoyable as multiplayer. Running rifts keeps things fresh, and some of the special itens in the game are ridiculous (bottomless potion)

Do I like it more than I and II? No. Will I come back to it in 10 years? No.
>>
File: Diablo.jpg (80KB, 801x415px) Image search: [Google]
Diablo.jpg
80KB, 801x415px
>>3145521
Diablo 1 is by far the darkest and most adult of the storylines. Diablo 2, comes a reasonable second but with much less claustrophobia. Diablo 1's genius was it's fixation on Tristram and the inescapable dread that emanated from the Cathedral, something the village NPC's were more than happy to testament to. As soon as the Diablo series became more geographically broad, it also watered down the atmosphere clearly present in Tristram. That village was cursed, and no other place in the lore ever came close.
>>
>>3145564
>>3145574
>>3145593
Thanks for the info everyone! Is there a certain class or build I should take to get the most out of Diablo I? It seemed like there were a lot of cool builds in Diablo II that weren't viable later in the game.
>>
>>3145642
> It seemed like there were a lot of cool builds in Diablo II that weren't viable later in the game.
That was all due to the synergy patch. No just go nuts and explore the game, there are only three classes and it isn't like you can distribute skill points once you level. Just pick what suits your play style.

I have personally always been a warrior type person in video games so I went with that even if that class does have troubles later in the game.
>>
>>3145642
PLAY AS WARRIOR FOR YOUR FIRST RUN
The warrior really is the essence of D1. Sorc is a lot of fun, but he becomes obscenely powerful as the game progresses while the Warrior really tests your skills throughout the entire game.

Also, you learn spells from spellbooks in the dungeon so you can still cast shit as the warrior.
>>
>>3143954
>20th anniversary
Fuck I'm old!
>>
>>3143954
breddy breddy breddy gud

thanks
>>
>>3145521
It's short and barebones. You won't suffer much if you try it.
>>
David Brevik put up the original Diablo game design document at http://www.graybeardgames.com/download/diablo_pitch.pdf
>>
>>3146450
Holy shit, they were thinking in DLC before DLC existed.
>>
>>3146472
Yeah he mentioned it in the video with CD's that expanded the item count. Funny it didn't go down too well during the time, imagine if Diablo was the first of its kind a few years ago.
>>
I haven't played this game in about 12 years and I really wish to do so again. what's the best way to play this on modern systems?
>>
>>3146497
Kinda funny how it's basically a direct corollary of the Magic the Gathering system.
>>
>>3146532
1.0 runs without any problems. However updating to 1.09 brings a few color glitches. Fix them with this patch:
http://www.strangebytes.com/index.php/projects/1-diablo-1-windows-7-vista-patch=60
>>
Cringed pretty hard when that fuckboi gave him money for his pirated copy of D1 and the other guy turning down an unopened copy. Otherwise pretty insightful, laughed at how shitty the speakers podium was too, literally a cardboard box with the GDC logo slapped on. You can tell E3 is where the money is and that no-one really gives a fuck about the actual dev process and good games, but I digress.

Diablo 1 is still my favorite PC game, and nothing since has topped it's atmosphere and replayablility.
>>
>>3147049
>Diablo 1 is still my favorite PC game, and nothing since has topped it's atmosphere and replayablility.
What's your 2nd and 3rd?
>>
Holy fuck, the guy noted the fact the ending cinematic makes no sense at all. I always tought that anyone that says that Blizzard writing is good never ventured past fanfiction.net, but that ending was retarded as hell. Why the hell would you put a fucking soulstone with the lord of evil in it, the same soulstone that turned a frail looking boy into a big red demon, into your forehead? Instead of tossing it into the ocean or, you know, give it to Deckard, the last of his kind of mages dedicated to killing deons in soulstones, and let him do his actual damn job.
>>
Brevik said in the presentation that he would upload the Diablo design document booklet. Here it is.

http://www.graybeardgames.com/download/diablo_pitch.pdf
>>
>>3147068
If i remember well Condor made the game and Blizzard just sent the CG videos without knowing shit about it.
>>
What's a post mortem?
>>
>>3147368
A reflection, retrospective analysis.

ie developer looks back and talks to us about the development process with a lot of behind the scenes tid bits that might have not been talked about before
>>
I don't get why Blizzard doesn't put all their games on battle.net. That might make actually want to join battle.net.
>>
>>3147565
They can't sell a game that doesn't run without fixes and "tweaks". They are going to fix it but they started with Diablo 2 first.
>>
File: lol.gif (2MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
lol.gif
2MB, 350x197px
>>3147707
>first update for diablo 2 in years
>mercenaries get broken
>>
>>3147565

It's embarrassing for them, Warcraft3 custom scene is still vastly superior to anything in SC2
>>
>>3145642
Play rogue and name her blood raven or sexy bartz. She can anything you want, but fires arrows the fastest.
>>3145820
Don't listen to this faggot.
>>
Diablo 3 sucks.
>>
>>3145593
>no other place in the lore ever came close.
The Tainted Sun

Lut Gholein
>>
>>3145593
>>3147847
>Lut Gholein
I cried and fwapped when I saw all those dead hookers in the palace. So sad.
>>
>>3145676
>That was all due to the synergy patch
The synergies made useless skills usefull, if anything it created more viable builds.
>>
>>3147730
Good thing that and glide wrapper were fixed in 1.14b. The merc thing pissed me off.
>>
So I just found out a week ago that Javelins don't have sockets thus can't have runewords. Why is it this way? Doesn't this make Javazons impossible to gear up for early-mid levels?
>>
>>3147368
on top of what >>3147390 said: it's an analysis of a completed project, to figure out what steps of the process worked, what were a mistake, what were lucky coincidences, what should have been done differently, etc. The goal is to learn from a previous project, in order to not repeat mistakes on the next one. A post mortem is not necessarily done for an audience. Companies do internal post mortems to improve their own process. In this case it's done for fellow developers, so they can learn from the development process of others.
See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmortem_documentation
>>
>>3147368
>>3147390
>>3148289
If you're interested in video game postmortems, here are a lot of them: http://www.gamasutra.com/features/postmortem/

Here's one about Diablo 2: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131533/postmortem_blizzards_diablo_ii.php

Here's one about Diablo 3 from GDC 2013: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1017813/Shout-at-the-Devil-The (video presentation, requires flash)
>>
File: 1454305096586.webm (2MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1454305096586.webm
2MB, 1024x768px
>>3148548
>Diablo 3 getting a post mortem already aka we fucked up so hard, we needed to analyze and document on it just one year later
>>
>>3148607
Then how hard did Blizzard fuck up with D2? The post-mortem was published only 4 months later.

>inb4 a lot
>>
>>3146648
Is the game basically abandonware at this point?
>>
>>3148607
Diablo 3 is pure putrid vomit.
>>
>>3148146
word, I play with a friend and we had to take turns getting to see our mercenary health

it still runs worse for me than before 14a was launched though so what the fuck
>>
>>3148849
No it isn't. What's your beef?
>>
>>3144362
No, fuck sjw usgamer!
>>
File: diablo 3 itemization.jpg (1MB, 625x4933px) Image search: [Google]
diablo 3 itemization.jpg
1MB, 625x4933px
>>3149020
Not him but I honestly never played Diablo 3, and I never will, despite 2 being one of my favorite games. I have a lot of reasons to have 'beef' with Diablo 3. When I heard all of the following about the game I promised myself to never give Blizzard money for it.

>4 player max per game
>WoW style gear and abilities
>No trading
>Always online
>No inventory management
>Real Money auction house (why yes it was such a shitty idea it got turned off eventually)
>Personal loot only (it's a + and - honestly)
>No PvP (later introduced arena PvP lel)

Every friend of mine who has played D2 told me how lucky I was not to have bought D3.

And to put a great big fuck you cherry on top, I was also really upset with them for how they tied it in to WoW - They had a promotion to buy a year of Warcraft and get D3 for free. Except it was a year of literally 0 content, so yes they did do it to make sure people kept paying them to play and keep their subscriber numbers higher when they really would have quit. I didn't buy that bullshit but a lot of people in my guild did. What a fucking shit move.

Graphically, I am NOT one of those people who thought "ooh it looked too colorful". See any screenshot of Diablo 2 where you have a thousand fucking poisoned, cursed skeletons to see why that's not a real argument. What it DID do graphically was really amp everything up to WoW levels of special effects (Torchlight 2 is also guilty of this), so that at level 2 a Barbarian - the matter over mind character - Can summon a giant ghost hammer as his basic attack. What the fuck.
>>
>>3148702
Can't say so. The developer is active, the servers are still running albeit with a very small playerbase.
>>
>>3149092
That graphic is pretty outdated, and you think low-level things are viable in Diablo 2 endgame?

I challenge you to go through the entirety of Hell mode. You are only allowed to pick up equipment and charms in Nightmare Mode.
>>
>>3149130
Sorry if it really is outdated, I'd love to hear how it changed. Honestly. I want to like the game, or at least not feel so shitty about it. As you can see I'm salty as fuck.

>you think low level things are viable in D2 endgame?

Yeah, actually. I've beaten Ubers a few times this ladder and I'm still using rare boots from normal mode because they have 30 Lightning Resist and 20 MF. Still using Chance Guards, or Magefist/Frostburn on things with no drops. I'd still be using Skullder's Ire if I didn't just get Tal Rasha's Amulet.
>>
>>3149092
Most of that list is wrong, but I was kind of expecting it since it is both three years out of date and the standard copypasta response.

What I wasn't expecting was you admitting you haven't played it.
>>
>>3148607
A postmortem is performed when the project is wrapped, usually the earlier the better, as memories are still fresh. Postmortems are performed on all projects, successful or not successful, as even the successful ones tend to include things that went inefficient, or almost went wrong, and you want to avoid that in the future. A postmortem is NOT an admission of defeat. A postmortem is a preparation for the next project.
>>
>>3148152
None of the thrown items have sockets, as they're stacks of items, rather than a single piece of equipment.

It's not impossible to gear early and mid-level Javazons, you just have to keep your eyes open for good Magic and Rare javelins. Class-specific items generally have one or more +Skill modifiers naturally, so their usefulness is bolstered by that possibility as well.
>>
>>3149881
What's the recommended route of progression for a Javazon? Should I use Charsi's imbue on a regular javelin?
>>
Why is it that this one fagtron ALWAYS shows up in every Diablo thread to white knight for D3?

Your game is trash dude and it's not retro either. Let go, it's over.
>>
>>3149130
>you think low-level things are viable in Diablo 2 endgame?

They most certainly are. I have made entire builds around Normal Unique/Set items. Won't net you many victories in PvP though, pubbie.
>>
>>3150016
>Why is it that this one fagtron ALWAYS shows up in every Diablo thread to white knight for D3?

When you post utter lies as counter-arguments, you actually get several people calling you out on that shit, not just one. I'm not saying it doesn't have problems, it just doesn't have THOSE problems.

>>3150016
>Your game is trash dude and it's not retro either

You mean "your game is trash because it's not retro," be honest here.
>>
>>3150016
>Your game is trash dude
You forgot to say objectively.
>>
>>3149976
Maybe use the imbue closer to endgame as it's based on character level. You could always start out using a bow to clear Normal and respec down the line.

At any rate, just pick up all the Magic/Rare javelins you come across and hope for good modifiers. Having a decent spear or bow as a backup doesn't hurt, as you passive skills will still apply. As mentioned, Maiden Javelins will carry extra skill boosts, so keep an eye open for those.
>>
Diablo I
>Oh hey traveler, there's some insane shit going down underneath that cathedral. Don't think you're up to the task of destroying hell reborn, but feel free to risk your life.
Diablo II
>Oh hey traveler, there's some insane shit goin' down around the world. Gonna take a serious warrior to knock this shit out, but it seems like you're the best we've got.
Diablo III
>OH MY GOD, IT IS THE NEPHALEM, GOD AMONGST MEN
>"FOOLISH NEPHALEM, YOU SHALL NEVER DEFEAT ME WITH YOUR PUNY POWERS"
>"NEPHALEM! YOU HAVE DEFEATED ME WITH YOUR PUNY POWERS!"
>Yay, Nephalem! You did so well out there. What a brave little boy you are! I think it's time we take you out for some ice cream!
>>
>>3149092
Talking shit about a game you haven't even played is so retarded, my man.
>My friend said this
>Some guy said ...
I don't even like Diablo 3 but damn.
>>
I poured hundreds of hours into Diablo 3 across multiple seasons, and I can come up with legit reasons why that game is so wrong on so many levels, but I won't explain them because it's just fueling the civil war. Anyways, I'm super fucking hyped for May for the ladder reset and maybe I won't make such stupid mistakes in hardcore again.
>>
>>3153531
>maybe I won't make such stupid mistakes in hardcore again
the only winning move is not to play
>>
>>3153539
Dying in hardcore is short term grief but it's never the kind of feeling that makes you despise the game and hate it.
>>
File: SCREEN201612562023.jpg (664KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SCREEN201612562023.jpg
664KB, 1920x1080px
A-a-anyone here wanna play some Diablo 1 or 2?
I just really want to play these games with others. It really makes them so much better.

Diablo HD looks really fucking good.
>>
File: ttt.jpg (81KB, 660x367px) Image search: [Google]
ttt.jpg
81KB, 660x367px
>>3153541
>>
>>3153564
what's HD about it? Doesn't the larger viewport fuck with the game's balance?
>>
File: SCREEN2016125124337.jpg (940KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SCREEN2016125124337.jpg
940KB, 1920x1080px
>>3153585
It's almost a completely different game.
>new shop menu.
>new classes and spells.
>item names for easier looting.
>waypoints on top of the normal short cuts.
>variable in-town walkspeed.
>NPCs move from point to point, breaths life into the town.
>>
>>3153589
>almost
yeah, no

is it backed up somewhere online where Blizzard's consent is not required?

Only played D2 LoD. No D1, no D3, no normal D2. Maybe I'll give this abomination a whirl
>>
>>3153594
>Never even played D1.
Holy fuck what?
Go find a torrent nigger.
>>
>>3153595
The game never appealed to me enough to try. I played LoD because I was forced into local MP. It's been a bit of a bad experience. Later grabbed Torchlight, because it kind of seems to sit in the middle between what I look for and Diablo. Only reason for me to touch D1 is to see what the fuss is about.
>>
>>3153601
Don't go in expecting D2. It's a much more slower-paced dungeon-crawler as opposed to the 'dungeon-runner' that D2 is.

Read those fucking scrolls cause the lore is great.
>>
>>3153605
>dungeon-runner
that was my problem. D2 LoD was outright frantic in its pace, at least the way I had to play it. Very exhausting, not very entertaining.
Been playing Torchlight till deep into the Shadow Vault. No idea if/how it compares in any sane form to D1.
>>
>>3153601
Torchlight is boring. It never takes off, it's just busywork to kill thrash mobs over and over sprinkled with the occasional miniboss, drop random stuff, change your inventory, and so on and so on.
>>
>>3153601
>>3153723
Torchlight and Torchlight 2, in reality, is like an open platform to mod and build your own Diablo-like experience. Quality of life features, recipes, classes, items, and so on.

Torchlight at face value is like a really decent Diablo clone made for XBLA and then ported to PC, in the sense that it takes the Diablo blueprint back to basics. So yes it doesn't feel as good as Diablo but it's an okay Diablo rip off built for simplicity playable with a controller. I wouldn't fault Champions of Norrath on PS2 for not being as good as Diablo either.
>>
>>3147049
GDC, as the name implies is specifically for game developers so it's not really trying to be flashy. It's a big networking circle jerk if you're in the industry whereas E3 has always catered more to journalists, gamers, etc.
>>
>>3143954
I was looking for diablo 1 some weeks ago, just got 2 and LOD instead. Worth it, great to see diablo is still a game people play.
>>
>>3153757
>Champions of Norrath on PS2

Those PS2 Diablo clones built on the Dark Alliance game engine would have all been so much better if they also had random dungeons like Diaburu. The fact that it's the same exact game each time you play eventually kills the fun. Even if they had simple variations to each level like how PSO or Tenchu had 2 to 3 randomly chosen layouts would have made them much more replayable.
>>
>>3153501
>Talking shit about a game you haven't even played is so retarded, my man.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say you don't eat shit anon.

But why not? You never tried it before, right?

But you know it's bad for you. Because people you trust have told you it's bad for you, because when you smell it you can smell it's bad for you, and because of how it was created you know it probably would be bad for you to eat it. If you were really determined to be sure you can look up videos of people eating shit to see the negative reaction.

That's Diablo 3.
>>
>>3149165
>Sorry if it really is outdated, I'd love to hear how it changed
No its still pretty much the same now as it was then. With RoS expansion you can Transmogrify items so they look like other gear.

Or you can use the [s]Horadric[/s] Kania's Cube for crafting recipes which allow you to break down legendary and set items for their abilities to throw on other legendary/sets.

Its still the boring grindfest with little feeling of progression.

I mean really, the only good Diablo is D2 and frankly its only good because of Median XL and its variants that make it acceptably playable.
>>
>>3153723
>It never takes off
I'm fine with that. The story is the tutorial, the Shadow Vault is the main game. Endless dungeon crawling.

>it's just busywork to kill thrash mobs over and over sprinkled with the occasional miniboss, drop random stuff, change your inventory, and so on and so on.
Until you reach the level cap ...
>>
>>3153564
If you wanna play some D2 i'm on europe realm, let me know if you wanna hang out
>>
Bought D2 this week, is the game guide included any good, like do they know what skills are great and which are trash?
>>
>>3156330
Completely outdated
>>
So Hellfire is the way to go if I want to play original Diablo while being able to restart my player campaign in single player Nightmare and Hell difficultly?

Can I skip the added on dungeon and just play the orignal campaign to complete the game and see the ending FMV as normal?
>>
What's the best way to play Diablo 1 on modern machines?
>>
>>3156931
keyboard and mouse
>>
>>3156532
Yeah the new dungeon is optional and like battle.net, you can move your character into nightmare and hell difficulties.

Unless someone's made a mod to do this that I'm not aware of yet, that's the only way to play nightmare and hell single player.
>>
>>3156965
Nah.

>http://www.arewehavingfunyet.com/diablo/diablo.shtml

Click on the Kill Counting link.
>>
so who's hyped for sigma?
>>
>>3156989
you
>>
>>3156982
Interesting, I'll have to try this at my home PC. Unfortunately the reason I was asking about Hellfire single player is because the internet here sucks and can go down for hours up to a day or two at a time.

But thanks anyway.
>>
>>3145820
A new sorc is nearly impossible on an ironman run. Your mana ammo won't keep up in terms of supply and demand.

This is omitting sperging out and coming up and down the stairs over and over to refill. This would only be increasingly frustrating considering how anemic your character is on a fresh ironman run anyway.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.