[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PDA Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 16

File: pboth[1].jpg (23KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
pboth[1].jpg
23KB, 450x338px
PDAs exploded into popularity after US Robotics released the Palm Pilot 1000 in 1996. Even though they weren't intended to be gaming machines plenty of games came out for them, but I've never heard of a retrogaming PDA scene, or a PDA game collector

Let's change that, /vr/. Let's show some love for Palm
>>
>>3143386
PDAs are utter shit.
>>
Hahahahaha wtf is this threae
>>
i have a windows ce 3.0 palmtop somewhere that i've got nethack running on. it's alright.
>>
>>3143410
the dreamcast ran windows ce, right?
>>
I had a monochrome Palm of some sort back in middle school.
>>
>>3143405
It's where apple got the idea for the iphone.
>>
my dad bought me one of these for my birthday when I was 15.

it kind of broke my heart, because I didn't have much use for it other than playing freecell, but it was a relatively expensive gift considering what my dad made. it made me feel like a piece of shit for secretly thinking it wasn't a very good gift.

I did end up having a use for it. my brothers and I would think of the most racist things we could think of, and we'd enter them into the PDA and save them. it was a huge collection of one-liner super racist jokes.

I'd show it to people at school if I thought they would be cool about it. but I ended up having to go to the principal's office about it.
>>
PDAs are cool, but I don't know much of the games on them
>>
>>3143471
>Dad hardly ever sees you use expensive gift
>takes a look at it one day...
>soniamdisapoint.jpg
>>
File: DSC_3315.jpg (294KB, 1080x1252px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3315.jpg
294KB, 1080x1252px
I have this one.
It plays tic-tac-toe pretty well.
>>
File: wincegames_jnethack.jpg (98KB, 956x1077px) Image search: [Google]
wincegames_jnethack.jpg
98KB, 956x1077px
>>3143410
Anything that can run Nethack is A-OK in my book.
>>
File: Newton.png (293KB, 532x418px) Image search: [Google]
Newton.png
293KB, 532x418px
>>3143431
But Apple invented the PDA.
>>
Only game worth playing on it is Space Trader, and it got a Windows port.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/spacetraderwin/

>tfw I got a Zire 31 PDA instead of a Game Boy Advance for some reason
>tfw I played games on it all the time in school, and the teachers never cared, probably because they thought I was taking notes or something
>tfw I let other kids play on it because it was the closest I could ever get to being popular
>tfw autism levels off the charts
>>
>>3143386
I've got a pretty useless WinCE 1.0 PDA that I can't transfer anything to. It's sort of novel because it came new in box.

Had another (non-/vr/) Win CE machine (I think 5? The one that looked like XP) that could play an AoE port.

Which, by the way, is amazing. Full AoE on the go.
>>
>>3143490
You got yours working? I never got the ai to make their move. Not sure if it hangs, or I'm too impatient
>>
>>3143415
Yep.
Oh how I miss Windows Championship Edition.
>>
File: psion5.jpg (67KB, 600x471px) Image search: [Google]
psion5.jpg
67KB, 600x471px
I had a Psion 5, and it's probably still kicking around here somewhere. Terrible thing, really, but back in the day being able to couple it with my Nokia 7110 and get internet access on the go was pretty fuckin' baller.

Main stuff I remember playing was a great port of Nethack, a solid Sim City port that the screen really didn't do justice to, and some knockoff of Drugwars.

Not sure there's really much particularly unique or interesting to be found on these things, OP, but I'd love to be proved wrong.
>>
this reminds me of the DOOM port to scientific calcuators
>>
File: 47151-3[1].gif (5KB, 225x212px) Image search: [Google]
47151-3[1].gif
5KB, 225x212px
>>3143490
>not playing dots

nigga u doin it wrong
>>
>>3143479
oh no, we ended up using the thing a TON

we were constantly typing new racist stuff into it

my dad didn't know what we were doing when he saw us with it, and probably wouldn't have minded.

also he couldn't have just picked it up and seen everything. we had that shit hidden well. you only saw it if we wanted you to see it

but somebody we showed it to at school was a piece of shit snitch.
>>
>>3143386
PALM PILOT?! SOUNDS LIKE A WANKING MACHINE!
>>
>>3146714
at the time it was, only wankers had PDAs
>>
File: games[1].jpg (110KB, 937x270px) Image search: [Google]
games[1].jpg
110KB, 937x270px
I would bring up that J2ME came to Palm in 1999 and turn this into a J2ME thread since those games often combine modern conventions with decidedly retro feel but it was met with so much opposition last time and barely equal interest I'm just too tired to bother today.
>>
File: 51Z7GCZSTRL[1].jpg (44KB, 369x500px) Image search: [Google]
51Z7GCZSTRL[1].jpg
44KB, 369x500px
i know palm had an app store and there was a shit ton of shareware floating around the net, but what about physically released product? is there a list detailing it all?
>>
>>3146823
>Playing Sega games on a PDA
Sounds really fucking stupid but amazing at the same time. It's kind of a shame how early mobile games aren't preserved because over a ten year period, there was a huge leap in graphics leading up to the release of the Iphone
>>
File: Psion Organiser II.jpg (2MB, 2682x1881px) Image search: [Google]
Psion Organiser II.jpg
2MB, 2682x1881px
>>3143503
>Psion Organiser II
>Apple MessagePad
>>
I remember my mother giving me an XP (?) PDA we had lying around about 10 years ago. I was 9 years old and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I recall being fascinated that you could use windows on such a tiny touchscreen, funny how I'm now typing on what is basically a tiny touch screen computer and I take it for granted.
>>
>>3147357
but did it have gaems
>>
>>3147445
The Organizer II could run BASIC-like program
http://psigamer.cyningstan.org.uk/game.php?sys=3
>>
>>3143684
It's also got an Android port, perfect for wasting time on the throne.

Man, fond memories of reading Star Wars books on my Tungsten all through my math classes.
>>
I can't believe I wasn't the only one who had PDAs in my elementary/middle school years. I'm young enough that Palm OS 3.x devices (like the Palm III, V, and VII series) were coming into the secondhand market quite cheap by the time I was in middle school.

I had a Palm IIIxe with a gameboy emulator, and later a Palm IIIc with a backlit color screen and rechargeable battery. I also saved up and bought one of those Windows CE Pocket PCs in around 2004. Quite a bit like modern smartphones, as long as you had wifi. That one had a playstation emulator that actually worked OK!

In those days I knew one other kid who had a Palm device, so we would exchange little freeware games with each other, and even play multiplayer games, over the IR link.
>>
>>3147737
>IR lin
For a while, those IR link ports almost seemed like they were going to catch on! My Palm devices could communicate with my contemporary Windows CE devices through them. My laptop at the time also had IR, so I could download games to my Palms without having to use the serial cable. There were programs you could use to duplicate IR sequences from TV remotes, and even a program that let you send documents to printers (some of which also had IR ports in those days).
>>
>>3147737
my high school 11th grade english class gave each student a palm m515 (i believe) to use for the year for taking notes and ebooks

i always preferred paper notes, but you know every kid in class was using it for games n shit
>>
>>3147748
IR did catch on and in a big way. Before BT it was the least bulky way to connect your laptop to your phone. Of course since mobile fax/data didn't exist in burgerica at the time many people there never noticed.

Doing IR between a Palm and CE required extra software that added $20 to CE devices. I don't believe there was any software to let Palm speak CE.
>>
>>3143498
this thing looks boss
>>
>>3147917
>Doing IR between a Palm and CE required extra software
Fine, it was actually "Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC," not Windows CE.

But I definitely remember being able to download palmos applications onto my internet connected pocket pc and then IR beam them to my palm devices.

>Before BT it was the least bulky way to connect your laptop to your phone.
I wouldn't describe that as "catching on," because before the current smartphone etc. era, "connecting your laptop to your phone" wasn't something that 99.9% of people would have ever wanted to do.

That's what I think is so interesting about these devices and technologies: They were "mainstream" but not "essential," and they didn't quite have a place in the world. They were ahead of their time, and serve as the forerunners of the devices that something like half the humans in the world now own.
>>
>>3147969
I'm pretty sure 99.9% of people wanted to do it, or would have it they'd known it was possible. But 50% of the world lived in grass huts at the time and couldn't afford a phone. Another 20% lived in non GSM/Jap backwaters and simply didn't have a technology that did data.
99.9% of the people in the developed Asian countries wanted to and a large percentage of them actually did it.
>>
>>3147969
I remmber doing this with Pokemon TCG

It would be neat if you could program a Card Pop box, whose only job was to emulate the card pop function, and could change its game ID or whatever defined a 'unique' copy so that you could keep on card popping it. Would make the mystery cards more realistic to get.
>>
>>3148235
Oh, shit man, that's a sweet idea. Some modern smartphones have IR blasters. I wonder if anyone has tried to write an app that communicates with nintendo IR stuff.
>>
>>3143415
>>3143942
NO.
Some games shipped it with them. The DC had an own OS. It just booted it from the game discs which then started the game. Just as a layer between Windows games and the DC so the lazy devs were able to easier port theier shitty Windows games.
>>
File: hellfire apache vs hind.jpg (34KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
hellfire apache vs hind.jpg
34KB, 400x266px
The big PDA dev at the time was Astraware. Their games honestly weren't that good, but at least they ported a bunch of PopCap games.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080305025712/http://www.astraware.com/?
>>
>>3148364
>not owning a DC
>having never seen a picture of a DC
>being too young to remember when DC emulators sucked at running CE games
Damn
>>
I kinda want to try to resurrect my Zire 31, but the AC adapter is a bitch to find. Might try looking online this time
>>
>>3148603
>Might try looking online this time
First 10 pages of google were amazon results?
>>
>>3148760
with pretty expensive shipping
>>
>>3149387
Then take your chances with some aliexpress shop that offers them for half the price with free shipping. It's just small barrel jack at 5v from what I remember.
>>
>>3143503
HP-41

This thing was a PDA in all but name.
It could store:
>names
>telephone numbers
>addresses

It could make printouts, initiate phone calls through a modem, and had settable alarms.
>>
>>3150327
>It could initiate phone calls through a modem

for wat porpoise
>>
>>3146823

The fact that this exists is amazing but I can't find documentation of it anywhere. I need to see what this looks like. I need it.

>Shining Force II

I need it.
>>
>>3150335
if you search ebay for palm games its like the most common one
>>
>>3150334
You could interface it with the HP-IL bus for communications with lab instrumentation, other computers, modems, terminal displays, keyboards...

It's a full computer in a pocket calculator form factor.
>>
>>3148535
Your "points" don't prove >>3148364 wrong.
The OS are on the GD-Discs.
>>
>>3150706
Why did they put it on the disc if the DC didn't run it?
>>
File: 390_02.jpg (21KB, 343x352px) Image search: [Google]
390_02.jpg
21KB, 343x352px
E750 mustard race reporting in
>>
File: dellaximx3ppct[1].jpg (26KB, 400x403px) Image search: [Google]
dellaximx3ppct[1].jpg
26KB, 400x403px
I had this one. The coolest thing I used to do with it, other than emulators, was streaming video from my PC to it over wifi. That felt pretty futuristic at the time.

The little freeware games you used to be able to find all over the internet were often fun. I spent many hours playing a decent civ 2 clone (much better than freeciv--I wish there were a civ 2 clone as good as that one for android today!) and something that was either a HoMM engine or just HoMM-like.
>>
>>3152727
I had the exact same model in the picture. Shit was awesome. I had a Palm M105, then a M130, then I switched to that thing and never looked back.

Made a fantastic e-reader and the freeware games were pretty fun.
>>
Are the WinCE PDAs any use for emulation, etc, nowadays?

I think it'd be fun to grab something like an iPaq hw6500 just for playing game-boy games and messing around with, but only if it works. (my memory is like half the winCE software didn't even run on the PDA i had at the time, crashing instantly, though it was a pretty no-name model.)
>>
>>3153330
I had an ipaq around 2000 that had could emulate quite a few games pretty well. For gameboy emulation old phones with a dstick and j2me work great.
>>
>>3143386
Used to download hentai and fap to the green glow of my Palm IIIx.
>>
File: 200lx.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
200lx.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>3143386
MS-DOS 5 80186 CGA running 20 hours off 2 AAs? you bet it plays some retro games
>>
any big time exclusives?
>>
I remember being amazed by these things as a kid, ah well I was young and foolish.
>>
>>3150348
that's pretty boss
>>
>>3149502
IIRC it's a 4.5 volt plug. I'd have to dig out the zire from storage to know for sure.
>>3150327
old HP calculators are pretty cool (48SX owner here), shame they lost to TI (though the 12C is still required for business school and is still used in the business world)
>>
>>3155264
Does it have composite video out?
>>
>>3157838
No. Just RF
>>
>>3160115
But it's in color, right?

I just think having to actually play a game on that ass of a screen would be suffering, so a color video out (standard on CGA cards) would be nice.
>>
>>3160279
There were millennials and there there was this other thing that was much worse but never named. It was never named because the entire population of the world committed mass sudoko for fear they might spawn one of them. You, my child, are one of the first of the bringers of the apocalypse.
>>
File: 51Z8M8GF6VL._SY300_.jpg (23KB, 262x300px) Image search: [Google]
51Z8M8GF6VL._SY300_.jpg
23KB, 262x300px
I spent years lusting over this thing. It had Wifi, a keyboard, a video camera, 128MB of storage and a web browser with Flash support, all for $500 in 2002. Even now it's in the $250 range.

>>3157757

Try the Tapwave Zodiac, but that isn't /vr/.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.