[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emulation VS Real Hardware?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 32

File: maxresdefault.jpg (67KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
67KB, 1280x720px
So which one do you prefer?
>>
Real because I'm an adult with money.
>>
File: eccoDSCF7588 copy.jpg (204KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
eccoDSCF7588 copy.jpg
204KB, 1000x750px
>>3136505
For console games I prefer emulation because I don't like CRTs and like playing on the go.

For portable systems I usually prefer the original, but am fine with emulating as well.
>>
>Emulated Hardware vs Real Emulation
>>
File: DSCN0360.jpg (468KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0360.jpg
468KB, 1600x1200px
hardware, it's neat to have things around
>>
>>3136505
>takes a picture of Zsnes for emulation

I don't think that emulator has been a good representation since years.
>>
>>3136526
Well the picture is from an old youtube video so that makes sense.
>>
emulation is so much better, i hope it catches on and become populer so that luna video games goes out of business and ian has to sell his colletion for a nickel to buy cake for his fat wife so she won't beat him lmao :D
>>
File: 1252973018507.gif (2MB, 282x178px) Image search: [Google]
1252973018507.gif
2MB, 282x178px
>>3136505
Emu, since-
1. I'd rather spend money on good drugs and other hobbies
2. Capacitors and resistors rot and soldering is a chore
3. Don't wanna print money for the hipsters selling HW
4. "Obscure" and "hard to find" don't concern me, I play what I want
>>
Emulation allows me to play thousands of games on dozens of systems without having to worry about room or importing. I can also use the input and output devices I want and use various features not available on the original hardware.
I'm even emulating the machines I have at hand because it's more convenient.
>>
Hardware. There are very few games I actually want to play anyway, so I opt for quality over quantity. Emulation is garbage, but I understand why someone could prefer it.
>>
>>3136505
I like both, but I prefer emulation.
>>
>>3136548
cocaine isn't even a good drug charliemurphy anon
>>
Hardware but I'm a poorfag so I have to emulate
>>
>>3136505
If I had enough money to buy every single game I felt like playing and enough room to store them, I'd obviously go for the real hardware and have emulators only to play romhacks.
>>
>>3136638
>have emulators only to play romhacks.
you can play romhacks for most 2d consoles on real hardware with a flash cart.
>>
>>3136505
Real hardware. I was alive when this stuff came out, and it's a great feeling to load up my childhood saves from a Zelda or Final Fantasy.

But I generally emulate portable devices so I don't have to carry around much.
>>
File: fence sitting hippie.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
fence sitting hippie.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
Depends on the system and depends on the game.

Game gear for example is fucking awful, I ain't bothering getting that shit

And even in good portable systems I prefer something like everdrive, I ain't carrying fucking carts around nigga

Arcade cabinets as cool as they are, it's fucking impractical to have a bunch of them lying around. At best something like the neo geo cabinet and then just trade the MVS boards, but then again they're fucking expensive. Obviously I would prefer playing on an arcade cabinet, but if I refuse to emulate arcade games I'm just not going to play a lot of them am I. Same shit for a buttload of old 70s and 80s PCs

And I know not retro, for something like the PS2 a lot of games look great in PCSX2 upscaled with HD GRAPHIX, and then again some don't.

Most of the times people make the emulation choice not because they believe it's better, it's just easier and more practical for a lot of cases. And obviously the money is a big factor.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only idort in a sea of shitposting
>>
File: 19ga2b0hz66fspng.png (142KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
19ga2b0hz66fspng.png
142KB, 500x345px
>>3136505
As a player, given a choice between hardware and emulation, always hardware. 99% of the time it doesn't matter though, so I go with emulation because it's much more available.

As a hacker, emulator all the way. Makes hacking much easier.

Boring realistic answer; both.
>>
emulation is the savior of retro gaming, but if i can get a hold of real hardware ill use it because its fun to collect and set up, it feels more authentic.
>>
If I have the console and the game: real hardware

If I have the console but not the game: emulation

If I have the console and it's disc-based: real hardware and CD-Rs

If I don't have the console: emulation
>>
File: 1460434195359.jpg (126KB, 512x368px) Image search: [Google]
1460434195359.jpg
126KB, 512x368px
>>3136505
Emulation is great for romhacks but its just not the same as playing on the original hardware with a CRT.
>>
>>3136509
Such a responsible adult, wasting money on toys :^)
>>
Real hardware is objectively better, but I do emulate quite often on a crt for pc with a controller. I'm working towards having all the consoles I like along with flashcarts or modded to play burned games. I used to collect but as someone who just wants to explore as many different games as possible it would be idiotic to pay the prices of real carts/games.
>>
Don't we have these threads often enough?

Emulation for me. It lets me do all of my gaming on my PC. Emulation also allows for stuff like romhacks and filters, and using whatever controller you want. Also, it's free.

People that say emulation is inaccurate probably haven't played an emulator in years. Emulation for gen 4 and below is pretty damn accurate. If they're talking about N64 emulation or something, of course you'd be better off with original hardware, dipshit. That doesn't mean all emulators for all systems are bad, though.

The only arguments buttmad anti-emulation faggots can ever come up with for 4th gen and below is "it just doesn't feel right". Fuck off and let me enjoy my games.

And I mean, it's cool to enjoy collecting and playing on original hardware. If you have the cash and want to do it, go for it man. Just don't treat people that emulate like subhuman scum because they aren't part of the glorious retro collector master race.
>>
File: snes_mk_vs_genesis_mk.jpg (145KB, 393x586px) Image search: [Google]
snes_mk_vs_genesis_mk.jpg
145KB, 393x586px
Emulation can help make up for the lack of colors the Genesis had with various tricks, but it's not as pure an experience. So it's a give and take. OG real Genesis hardware was really rough around the edges.
>>
>>3136926
>TOP : Arcade
>THIS FUCKING MEME AGAIN!!!
>DDDDRRRRUHJJJJJ AUTISMOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
File: 1460375528546.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1460375528546.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>3136708
>average guy is 5'6"
>>
>>3136920
For 5th generation and the like there's still stuff you can't do on hardware like higher resolution, widescreen, reduced wobbling, reduced loading times. It's not a one size fits all solution but it can be nice.
>>
>>3136920
>People that say emulation is inaccurate probably haven't played an emulator in years.
I use emulators regularly and emulation is indeed inaccurate. If I play the same game using the same controller on console and then on an emulator I notice some pretty obvious inconsistencies in physics, responsiveness, lag, and graphics. This applies to 3rd and 4th gen, but significantly more so to 5th gen.

Source: I TAS/glitch hunt and test things using emulators all the time.
>>
Totally understand the appeal of owning and playing the real deal but I'm fine with emulation these days. Cleared out the vast majority of my collection to top up the deposit when buying my current house and never looked back.

If anything it was pretty cathartic. I'd just got to a point where I couldn't justify the investment of time, money, and space, and was feeling pangs of guilt for just sitting on stuff that someone else could actually be enjoying.

Kept my old Amiga setup out of sheer sentimentality, along with super pared down SNES and Mega Drive collection. Strictly the stuff that was getting regular play. Everything else got farmed out to other collectors I'd got to know over the years.
>>
>>3137089
I did the same + cars and vintage snowmobiles, I get sad sometimes. flash carts these days.
>>
>>3137113
Hey... some things hurt more, much more, than cars and vintage snowmobiles
>>
>>3136894
Such an responsible child. Wasting time on teh intarwebz.
>>
>>3137113
I've toyed with the idea of getting flash carts but in all honesty I just don't care enough these days. I even wind up playing the bits I still own through emulation just for convenience's sake. It has it's share of disadvantages, obviously, but there's a lot to be said for having virtually EVERYTHING set up on one neat box sitting under the TV.

Probably shouldn't admit it around here but if I didn't have my illogical attachment to that Amiga I'd probably not even have a CRT around here.
>>
File: 1446111194306.png (882KB, 913x598px) Image search: [Google]
1446111194306.png
882KB, 913x598px
>>3136591
No, but a-PHP and ethyl-hex are, mein negar.
And of course good ol' amphetamine!
>>
>>3137087
Name examples. Please include what emulator you're using.
>>
>>3136505
Anon kun there is not even a choice.Real Hardware is superior to everything but the price.
And that tends to be a major factor since cunts sell for whatever they want. But really, original hardware is always the best.
>>
>>3138550
>Real Hardware is superior to everything but the price.
And playing on your smartphone.
And blur filters.
And save states.
And so on.
>>
Accurate emulation on a CRT is objectively superior.
>>
If possible, I'd like to have all games played in their original forms.

But I'm not going to pay 150 bucks just to play Trip World. None of that money will go to the developers anyway, so why should I?

That's why I emulate.
Flashcarts sound like a good option, though.
>>
>>3137149
wow. you sound like a regular person with common sense.

what the fuck are you doing here?
>>
File: FSCN0020.jpg (563KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
FSCN0020.jpg
563KB, 1600x1200px
>>3137117
maybe the death of a family member, I loved my Jeep.
>>3139123
I couldn't part with the consoles. Emulating with a Wii is quite good though.
>>
File: terranigma2.png (91KB, 1023x766px) Image search: [Google]
terranigma2.png
91KB, 1023x766px
>Mfw cant find a fucking crt with composite inputs
Guess im sticking to emulation because playing retro with coax only is terrible.
>>
>>3139640
That text sums up 4chan perfectly
>>
>>3139640
Get s-video. you'll thank yourself later
>>
Emulation. It's free and more accurate. Only a cuck would buy games and hardware.
>>
>>3139640
do you live in 1984? every set I've seen in the last 10-15 years has had at least composite inputs. I have 3 free crt with 480i YPbPr inputs. >>3139701
this guy is right as well, it's much better looking.
>>
It's console specific, 16 bit and earlier I'm indifferent, and also since some of those games are harsh with saving progress and I sometimes play in multiple small sessions - emulation is superior.

I cannot fucking play N64 via emulator though, has to be original hardware.

>>3136510
Man I was getting worried you weren't gonna post this image again anytime soon.
>>
>>3139726
I have bucks to spend. Because I don't waste bucks on trash.
Blowing hundreds to thousands of dollars on something that's nearing its max lifespan is fucking stupid unless it's a guaranteed investment. Caps and resistors and other components have a limited lifespan. Even the CPUs. Over the next decade, consoles and carts are going to become irreplaceably dead. Their controllers and chips will begin to lose integrity.
>>
>>3139835
Nope, there's still og pong consoles that are still kicking, I played super pong last week.And have a working Colecovision.

You don't have the bucks to spend or you would. If it was disposable income and classic games were your hobby you'd drop the dosh.

It's cool, we're anonymous here. I am selling a bunch of games and my Steel Battalion controller to pay for a new monitor because I too am poor.
>>
>>3139860
That older chip tech is more robust too, due to larger transistors on the die.
The finer the manufacturing process, the more fragile the transistors and circuitry. And especially if your console starts losing capacitors or resistors, getting wild power flux.
>>
>>3136505
I rather play on the real thing

but that shit its rare and expensive

so I usually emulate
>>
File: IMG_8686.jpg (417KB, 1000x642px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8686.jpg
417KB, 1000x642px
impulse bought a super famicom and like 8 games shit is so nice. tempted to get a genesis too.
>>
Emulation unless if I can find a game for a remotely reasonable price

Though there's consoles like the N64 and PS2 where its much easier to flashcart/hack then to emulate.
>>
File: DSCN0433.jpg (480KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0433.jpg
480KB, 1600x1200px
>>3139860
Fuck, now I'm getting depressed, should I just throw it on the credit card?

it's only $715 should have it paid in 2 or 3 months.
>>
>>3140231
I've been considering getting one because they're such attractive consoles and they're pretty affordable compared to a snes. I already have a snes jr but I almost exclusively play sfc games on it anyway.
>>
>>3140065
Hah no its not.
>>
if the emulation isnt 98% close to the console, i go original system with a flash cart eg. n64
>>
>>3136505
Hardware. Only plebs and poorfags emulate.
>>
>>3140721
How are arcade cabinets not rare and expensive?
Even computers and consoles with various accessories stack up. Games aren't free either even if you only get flash cartridges, multicarts, drive emulators, modchips etc.
Add shipping on top and consider the need to rent extra space for all the machines.
>>
>>3136980
>tfw Netherlands is full of lanklets
>>
id rather have emulation because i can easily play online arcade titles and arcades are very rare
>>
Emulators on Wii hooked up to a CRT with classic controllers.

Best of both worlds master race.
>>
>>3141232
the d pad is shit, you need a sfc classic controller or snes to gc adapters (what I use)
>>
>>3141232
i heard the Wii video signal is kinda rubbish tho
i also have the wii full of emulators and occasionally use it with my GC controller but the neogeo emulator is really sub-par even compared to way older emulators
>>
>>3141232
I'd agree with you if the emulators designed for Wii weren't so shitty.
>>
File: DSCN0234.jpg (446KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0234.jpg
446KB, 1600x1200px
>>3141238
have you updated, I just got the newest version of RA and some things are working better than 1.0.0.2? that I had before. Wii YPbPr is good no Idea about others.

sorry to overuse this but I'm too drunk and lazy to start everything up for a new one. color is much better irl, my point and shoot is not a good'n
>>
>>3136548
im kinda the same
1.- Rather spend money on other stuff, looking to buy 100-150€ arcade stick atm
2.- Rather have everything in one machine
3.- Not a collector, having shelves full of games is not for me and i dont have the space anyway
4.- Emulation just more comfortable, id only use original hardware if the game has specific problems emulating and i REALLY want to play it
>>
>>3141259
5.- would rather support developers of new games that i like than old games or remakes that the original devs probably dont see a penny from
>>
File: daschstupid.jpg (92KB, 640x580px) Image search: [Google]
daschstupid.jpg
92KB, 640x580px
>>3141259
another long winded poverty excuse?
>looking to buy 100-150€ arcade stick atm
poorfag confirmed.
>>
>>3141273
i live in a poor country, yes. im lucky to have a job and feel proud of my accomplishments given my situation
>>
File: freddurstrei.png (168KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
freddurstrei.png
168KB, 500x385px
>>3141282
now I feel like a dick. shitposting isn't for me I guess.
>>
How the fuck can people afford retro consoles and games that costs thousands of dollars?
>>
>>3141315
my NES cost around $40, i refurbished the 72 pin myself, disabled the lockout chip and now it works first try every time. the games i want to play only cost me about $50 total.

$90 aint that much.
>>
File: Ft.KnoxMinin.jpg (186KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Ft.KnoxMinin.jpg
186KB, 720x960px
>>3141315
Jobs? I have a GED and am working my way up a trade. I make at least $1000 a week after taxes and usually only work 4 days a week 10 hour shifts. Any adult should have money for these things. The mortage is only a lil over $1k the cars arent financed, so with gasoline,insurance utilities and food I'm maybe spending $2500 a month. that leaves me with $1500 or so to save. Since I've been a good boy and fixed my fucked credit I also have a card I can put things on.

Get Career Focused
Build Credit
Buy Things
>>
File: hipstertrash.jpg (37KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
hipstertrash.jpg
37KB, 600x450px
>>3141330
It really is that simple. Up until a few years ago I was a stoner drop out line cook hipster with a rundown 1 bedroom apt in a shit part of town. Now I'm financing a home and contemplating a $45k car.
>>
>>3141337
>a stoner drop out line cook hipster with a rundown 1 bedroom apt in a shit part of town
i could live like that forever, desu. my standards aren't high, and let's face it, i'm not getting laid no matter how rich i am. fuck it brah.
>>
File: Ft.KnoxMine.jpg (94KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Ft.KnoxMine.jpg
94KB, 768x1024px
>>3141354
Hey I'm not trying to bash anyone with a mcjob or call underemployed people poor. I've had food stamps and once had to sleep in my car for 2 weeks. I was just stating how to buy stupid overpriced shit without sweating it. When I said should be able to afford it was more a commentary on current wages, I worked harder for less when I was a cook. I'm out of game pics, have a cat in the guest house
>>
>>3136505
Nice b8 m8.
>>
File: 2-tea.jpg (22KB, 485x321px) Image search: [Google]
2-tea.jpg
22KB, 485x321px
>>3136689
Two cups of tea to that one.
>>
>>3141330
>>3141337

All that money and you are still a desperate single loser. I guess if you have no friends and women think you're a creep, the only thing you have left is the comforting embrace of consumerism.

People are so fickle. Material possessions can never leave you.

When you die, old, bitter and alone, at least they can put on your headstone "I had a mortgage and two cars, suck it poorfags"
>>
>>3141569
I really wasn't knocking on anyone.

You salty because I have an average paying job for a Journeyman skilled laborer? Set your bar higher bro. I hope this was bait.
>>
>>3141596

Consider it gallows humour.

Enjoy the vidya while you can, because as soon as you have a family and real responsibilities, you won't find things quite as comfortable.
>>
>PCSX-R received a fork that added overclocking, an arguably useful feature, and various other fixes by SonOfUgly

>yesterday ePSXe updated with a suspiciously similar overclock feature, bearing no mention of SonOfUgly's work, all while remaining closed source

Why is this allowed?
>>
>>3141698
It's not like it's a difficult feature to add. Probably just a case of changing the number of CPU cycles allowed before updating the screen based on the whether overclock is enabled or not. Unless their design is more horrendously complex than it needs to be, it could be as little as a few lines.

>see competing emulator has new feature
>add same new feature to own emulator

I see where you're coming from, but it's nowhere near enough to claim foul play.
>>
>>3141698
Get over it, emulation is a shady practice to begin with.
>>
>>3141698
It's kind of shitty morally, but as an end user I think it's a good thing to keep up with new features.
>>
>>3136505
Emulation.

It's not a preference though. It's an objective fact.
>>
>>3141853
>It's not a preference though. It's an objective fact.
I'm as big a proponent of emulation as the next guy, but you're a fucking idiot lmao.
>>
>>3141875
Good one. Make sure to run to mommy and tell her you pwned someone today.
>>
>>3141893
he's right though anon.
>pwned
oldfag
>>
Real hardware, on a CRT, using a flash cart.

Best of all worlds.
>>
>>3143550
That's a sensible option. As long as you're not enabling those fag game resellers, it's all good.
>>
>>3143550
this is the best way to go. throw blank cds in there too.

best experience for the cheapest cost.
>>
Here we go again with another one of these threads.
>>
I use a mix of original carts and a flashcart for snes games, and emulate everything else.
I emulate on a crt with original controllers so it's pretty close to being authentic once the game is up and running.

>>3140706
Do it anon, I love my sfc

>>3141259
You're doing something very wrong if an arcade stick costs you anywhere near 100€
>>
For The Real Thing:
>think heavily about the console i want to buy
>buy games
>awesome authentic experience

For Emulators:
>buy a USB controller
>full screen
>fuck you

I'll take both, but having the console in your house is always nice.
>>
>>3136894
Such a big man, complaining how others spend money to support their hobbies
>>
File: fxIXvog.jpg (338KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
fxIXvog.jpg
338KB, 800x800px
given the choice many times i'd prefer PC emulation and I don't have the patience to deal with purists over such a silly topic.
>>
File: tumblr_nlj1pqcESC1u25kiio1_1280.jpg (307KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nlj1pqcESC1u25kiio1_1280.jpg
307KB, 1280x853px
>No Clone retro consoles that are accurate copies of the originals will ever exist.
>They'll never be anything emulators in a box.
for fucks sake
>>
>>3136505
I prefer real so I carry around an SNES with a CRT to play. But I don't have room for the CRT at home so I emulate on my Android TV.
>>
>>3147726
It's especially fucked concerning the Genesis, because z80s and 68000s are both still manufactured IIRC.
>>
>>3147716
All you're supporting is resellers' wallets.
>>
>>3141698
At least ePSXe's team is still actively working while PCSXR seems stuck in limbo having to be kept alive on forks.
>>
just bought a flashcard because even emulator like higan(bsnes) work like ass.
I dont fucking want to deal with sound crackling, fucked up filter options, stuttering frame transitions, etc.
Emulators are unplayable and dont get me started on shit like n64 emulator.
>>
>>3149126
>Ebay and game stores are the only place to buy software because I have no patience and don't know how to search for things without google.
>>
>>3149552
You're buying used plastic and circuit boards that are being resold by someone no matter where you go.

Have fun with your sentimental value over plastic carts.
>>
File: 1456006457291.jpg (36KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1456006457291.jpg
36KB, 500x500px
>>3149552
>Emulators and flashcarts are bad, goy! Buying from (((resellers))) is the only way to get the authentic retro experience!
>>
>>3136505
Emulation is objectively superior, you can play the games the way they were meant to be played without the limitations of shoddy and un-ergonomic controllers, rickety save procedures that sometimes fail, bad power supplies, a literal heap-ton of plastic boxes of varying sizes, and so on.

It's a very capricious market for the investor as well, far worse than even REAL retro-computers.
>>
File: giphy-7.gif (221KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
giphy-7.gif
221KB, 500x375px
>tfw you realize console developers often used superior PC sticks and pads instead of their own company's controllers when developing your game you "authentically" play with your pain-inducing crappy name-brand controllers
>>
File: catapult-cube2.jpg (591KB, 800x568px) Image search: [Google]
catapult-cube2.jpg
591KB, 800x568px
>>
>zsnes
Having a glowing hot stick jammed up my pisshole.

But if you mean a real fucking SNES emulator and not that hack, emulators by far. I grew up on those consoles and even those before it and FUCK having to deal with the real thing.
>>
>>3136505

Emulation because space.

If I owned my own place I'd have real hardware.
>>
>>3150785
What do you mean "having to deal with the real thing?" Real hardware couldn't be easier.
>>
I "prefer" real hardware, but it's not really viable. No point buying shit that can easily be emulated flawlessly. Only thing I'd really consider buying is N64, which is generally fairly cheap as far as retro games are concerned.
>>
>>3150819
>buy actual console or cheap chinese knockoff
>buy expensiveass real controllers or cheap chinese knockoff
>buy expensiveass real games or some chinese storage cart
>buy cables to hook up your ancient console to a tv
>buy a fucking oldass humming flickery pile of shit crt
>have somewhere to put all this shit
>keep all this old or cheap shit in working condition
vs
>$ mednafen emulation/nes/mario1.nes
holy fuck kids
>>
>>3150696
Yes, the developers intended customers to play the games on hardware that did not exist yet and was not predicted to exist.
>>
>>3150827
So, the core of your argument is startup cost (which, in many of our cases, is irrelevant since we already own the consoles and games and in many instances have owned them fro many years).

You actually seem angry at the idea of using real hardware.
>>
>>3150845
>startup
You missed
>keep all this old or cheap shit in working condition
You seem angry at the idea of being able to play games very easily just fucking fine with what you have. Maybe you just suck at computers and can't figure out how to run a fucking emulator.
>>
>>3136505
Usually real hardware, sometimes emulation. I generally try to play things on real hardware at least the first time through because I'm a purist, but emulation offers a lot of features and convenience that real hardware doesn't. For any casual gamer I think emulation is the obvious choice.
>>
File: le muda muda list.jpg (729KB, 1714x1252px) Image search: [Google]
le muda muda list.jpg
729KB, 1714x1252px
>>3150849
I cannot understand the hate for emulation.
It's as though hardware fanatics forget that hardware glitches, costs money to maintain, and will eventually die beyond repair.

Also, fuck childhood. Being limited by parents and police in what you can do in life was horrible. Nostalgia can eat a dick.
>>
>>3150849
Calm down and quit reusing the "with what you have" argument. That only applies to certain people and is hardly a good way to dismiss the legitimacy of playing your games on legitimate hardware.

I'd also like to know how I sounded angry. I just commented that running on real hardware is incredibly easy. It is no harder or easier than running games on a PC.
>>
File: 1406158450803.png (3KB, 465x298px) Image search: [Google]
1406158450803.png
3KB, 465x298px
>after 25 years realize some games don't work anymore
>some consoles either died or have problems
>repairing them can be a pain in the ass
>getting "new" ones means I will be wasting more money and I am picky as fuck about money
>that feeling of wasted money
>losing old savefiles on cartridges or on memory cards
>that feeling of seeing things dying through time because not everything is made of nintendium and even those will die one day
On another hand, emulating means you can download any time and in whatever place/device. Sure, not everything you can pirate or have a digital copy, but it never bothered me to play emulated games. Still, playing on the original system with the original controller feels better, but mostly is nostalgic factor.
>>
>>3150874
Try running games on an old computer, dealing with all sorts of configurations, lack of conventional memory and other issues.

How do you even handle playing with multiple consoles? Do you have a station dedicated to each or do you switch between them with some elaborated cabling setup?
>>
>>3150871

>cannot understand the hate for emulation

Old people, my dude.
>>
>>3150893

>running games on an old computer

Dude, your computer would have to be pretty fucking old to not be able to easily handle emulating 90% of retro titles. Even an utter toaster can emulate PSP.
>>
>>3136505
Feels the same to me, honestly. I care not about the carrier, just the embedded medium.
>>
>>3150918
I'm 31. Not exactly young by 4chan standards.
But hell, I remember the early 90s well as well as all the 90s after that.
Holy shit I'd have DIED if I had my current PC or my PSP in 1993 with their emulators and the library of games I have. And every fucking kid would suck my little peckerwood to play them on HD screens. Inaccuracies be damned.
>>
>>3150923
Not emulating, running old computer games natively.
>>
>>3150835
The developers used slightly modified but otherwise quite ordinary computers to write their games.
>>
>>3150835
Look on the shelf to the left you manky git.
>>
I just emulate everything on my phone or tablet.
I don't mind touch controls even for platformers
>>
Both have their place, I wouldn't give up my real hardware nor would I give up my ability to do emulators.
>>
>>3136505
Real, but I think that is just nostalgia.
>>
I prefer real hardware, but since I was robbed I've mostly been using emulators. Arcade stick and CRT on a Wii is pretty damn solid. I've been picking up a few older games when I find titles I want and when they aren't too crazy costly, but I'm priced out of a lot of games and have been modding my arcade sticks instead.
>>
I own pretty much every console that i would ever want and have most of the games i think are worth a fugg and i don't bother playing the real thing i just emulate cause it's more modern and cool unlike them olde timey sacks of crap that they had in like 1984 that barely run! I still like my old consoles and games tho, but just to hoard and look at, they must never be touched or played ok that's my opinion on this site ok.
>>
>>3150918
More like 28 year olds who think they're OMG SO OLD and convinced everyone who disagrees with them is 12 so they bring it up constantly.
>>
>>3151601
I am 28
and
>>3151584
is definitely 12

are you a wizard
>>
>>3151601
It's the mod of this board.

Who is also a video game reseller.

Haven't you figured it out yet?
>>
>>3151997
Yeah that just looks like typical funposting for fun. I'm almost 43 though and emulate at least 95% of the time I play retro. Just saying it's not necessarily older posters hating on it.
>>
File: notadiaperorpissbottleinsight.png (87KB, 397x362px) Image search: [Google]
notadiaperorpissbottleinsight.png
87KB, 397x362px
>you can talk about color accuracy and whatever else, you can be melodramatic about the authenticity of your experience as much as you like
not everybodys eyes have the same degree of natural accuracy in focus or even color definition
your red isnt neccesarily my red and so on and so forth
the same logic can be applied to the audiophiles too
and on that token what about those physically impaired gamers with differing needs and peripheral that only work on pc OS add quick button mapping and boom emulation
>so what if i dont experience something or for that matter anything precisely and exactly the same way you do

>blah blah qualia

your missing the point of emulation community and what that brings to the table in the form of the netplay community, that should be self explanatory. readily available hacks and translations from the mod community, Are you gonna spend the time to learn the simplified chinese or kanji to play that game that wasn't released in your region???

And then there are the benefits of the actual emulators in and of themselves. save states, built in gamegenie/actionreplay features, the incredible amount of plugins to customise your experience, record your gameplay to stream on your channel or post elsewhere, the ability to play the same game on your PC, console, tablet and your phone and update your progress from the last device.

Utilizing the processing power available now in even your mobile phone to emulate a bug free flawless version of a system you 1 time owned and loved or getting to experience a bug free flawless version of a system you wanted to own while sitting on the bus, the train, taking a shit!!!!
>>
>>3152026
>43
In dog years?
>>
>>3152064
>netplay
This alone is an amazing innovation, I sometimes play SNES games with buddies thousands of miles away.

Nothing like some NHL '95 on the SNES with a virtual multitap.
>>
>>3152724
Most people in the world did similar shit. In 95. Just not on Nintendo.
>>
>>3152809
>Most people in the world
Over 2.5 billion people were emulating current games in 1995, OK buddy.
>>
>>3152809
What 21 year old emulators have netplay?
>>
Worried about battery backed cartridge saves failing?

Emulation can be just as volatile.

I was playing pokemon blue ROM on Gambatte and then I reorganized the folder and deleted some stuff.

Now when I start the game it loads to a much earlier time when I only have two badges.

I did not delete the ROM or its save file. I just moved some files around. I think it overwrote the save file with a previous save file it found inside a save state file.

(please help)
>>
>>3152724
>>netplay

Shit always desyncs on me pretty bad and I'm less than 100 miles away from my buddy and we both have good internet.

I don't fucking get this thousands of miles away shit man. I just wanna play some FF6 with my bro.
>>
>>3152952
>we both have good internet
Sounds like you think your internet is better than it is.

I've never had a problem with lag inside the continental USA and I'm very near a cable landing so Asia's NP either.
>>
>>3152869
>>3152873
In 95 we were playing multi player online games on Windows 95. Should have remembered neo /v/ is now too young to remember that was a thing.
>>
File: image.jpg (151KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151KB, 620x388px
>>3136505
Real hardware only.

However, I am not the typical retro gamer as 99% of my retro interests lay squarely in the 6th gen. Plus, I am a very picky gamer and -only- buy games I know I will complete. I don't collect/am not a completionist at all so affording the 202 games I have on my backlog, plus their accompanying hardware, hasn't been very costly at all and I even buy everything new.

If I had a big interest in gens older than the 6th then I'd definitely look into emulation because it would be too costly otherwise.
>>
>>3153415
>we were playing multi player online games on Windows 95
On emulators with netplay? Because this discussion's about emulators and the fact that they are *objectively* superior.
>>
>>3139835
>>3140049
t-they're going to stop working anyways! any day now your consoles will stop working!
>>
hacked console > emulation > buying old games
>>
>>3153491
t. poorfag
>>
>>3153491
hacked console > emulation > flashcarts > buying old games
>>
>>3141315
A lot of people have a chunk of games from when they were young or bought some back when they were cheap.

Also, as for the age of the hardware thing, sure, they might all die one day and need to be repaired (or fuck, even die beyond repair), just like the PC you're using right now.

And, you know, you're going to die one day as well, quite likely before every NES out there has gone kaput.
>>
>>3153503
Poor fools waste their money on old irrevelant videogame garbage. The rich hoard their money so they can swim through a pool of gold dust.
>>
Modified real hardware on a CRT, using a flash cart.
>>
>>3153572
>irrevelant
you know what board you're posting on, right?
>>
>>3153436
You sound mad you don't know how to read well.
>>
>>3153935
You sound retarded talking about Windows 95 gaming in an emulation thread.
>>
>>3155125
You sound retarded talking about playing online in an emulation thread
>>
>>3136510
You could always get a Framemeister if you want to go the expensive route.

Honestly, retro console collecting is not for everyone. I absolutely love it, but for people who just want to play the games I would say emulators are a fine option too. The options for emulators are getting better and better these days, and unless you are really fussy (like me) the experience of playing emulators on a TV isn't terribly different from using a Framemeister to play consoles through RGB.

For me, part of the fun of consoles is optimizing them. I like hunting down the RGB mods and cables, making them region-free, getting them to play Roms / backups, etc, and of course the collecting factor is the biggest part of it. I love hunting for deals on good games, systems and accessories.

The biggest difference is that collecting costs hundreds if not thousands of dollars, whereas emulation is free. As said above, if you just want to play the games, emulators are fine.
>>
While playing the original is a nice experience but Emulation is good if you don't have the money or space for a videogame collection.

Playing thousands of games on a laptop or even a phone is quite convenient.
>>
>>3136708
>5'6
>average

lmao
>>
>>3156409
You're in every thread aren't you?

Just looking for (you)s.
>>
>>3157952
>Asians aren't people and shouldn't count in the average
Ma nigga
Oh wait, you're just a neanderthal whitey
>>
The only retro games i would get real hardware for are games that i really enjoy playing whether they are games from growing up or that ive discovering from emulating. In australia the price for retro is fucked so gotta be picky. Worth it for certain games. Otherwise emus are fine.
Thread posts: 170
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.