[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quake vs Half Life vs Unreal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

File: Untitled.png (2MB, 2334x888px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 2334x888px
>>
Quake
>best movement, multiplayer

Half Life
>best story, HUD

Unreal
>cool weapons and enemies
>>
>>3130119
>Quake vs Quake mod vs Unreal
>>
>>3130119
Half life was too slow and had mostly boring weapons, Quake's environments were too dull and the polygons look like shit

Unreal is the only option here
>>
Half life definitely
>>
>>3130119
Quake is by far the winner here for me, exclusively because of Team Fortress. Half-Life and TFC was fun, but still nothing like Quake TF when it was new.
>>
Quake has the best gameplay by far and laid the foundation for the amazing wolfenstein games and the rest of the quake series
>>
>>3130119
They're all quite good, each in their own way.
>>
>>3130119
Half life for me, I really love the level design and atmosphere.
>>3130157
>Half life was too slow and had mostly boring weapons
I disagree, I liked the pacing in half-life. The weapons were amazing too, lots of originality outside of the basic special forces weaponry.
>>
Best multi-player, Quake
Best story, half-life
Best graphics, Unreal
>>
Quake (1 only) is the winner by FAR. Absolutely best game and gameplay.

Unreal is second, having a great variety of weaponry, several exploration-style levels, good atmosphere and enemies, and overall solid gameplay.

Coming in absolute dead last is fucking Half-Life, a fucking brain-dead corridor shooter with clumsy controls and gameplay and boring weapons and enemies. The Halo My First FPS equivalent for PC. Horrible.
>>
>>3130509
>Quake (1 only) is the winner by FAR. Absolutely best game and gameplay.

Quake 1 has trash weapons and level design. It's only good as a tech demo.
>>
>>3130654
Quake 1 has the quintessential rocket launcher.

What now, faggot? Gonna call that trash, too?
>>
Quake was the one I spent more time with be it single player or multiplayer.

Half-Life was boring as shit

Unreal was lots of fun multiplayer but the campaign never really did anything for me.
>>
>>3130119
Unreal had the best first time experience, music, and atmosphere.

Quake has the most re-playability out of the 3, this is most important to me.

Half-life has maybe mods? I don't know, everything taking the goggles off about Half-life is derivative: its story is doom and its game-play is watered down Quake.

Of course quake is derivative of doom, and if you knew anything about its development, you would get to understand Quakes feeling of being a rush-job. In defense I will say that what could be at worst called "bells and whistles" are well designed polishing and refinement from Dooms formula.

As far as pacing goes, I think that's more of an issue with the level ordering. Quake has its episodic structure so its piecemeal design makes it feel quicker, when I think Quake's fast pace lends itself to our modern interpretation of its speed, which is in actually a design flaw utilized for intended speed-running and multiplayer. Half-life had a good moderate pace but I feel it laid the past for mediocre games in the future to follow. And Unreal while it has awesome first time experience and atmosphere and the most intelligent enemy behaviour, I don't really feel as compelled to replay the game that much.

In my opinion Half-Life had the best implementation of hit-scan enemies out of the 3.
>>
>>3130654

Quake 1 has shit level design? Nice joke, anon.
>>
>>3130707

Yes, every weapon in that game feels like ass compared to the weapons in Doom.
>>
>>3130749

>Ignoring the Super Nailgun, both explosive weapons, and the Lighting Gun.

Nice try.
>>
Best multiplayer: quake
Best level design: quake
Best game play: quake
Best weapons: quake
Best enemies: quake
Best replayability: quake
Best game: quake
>>
>>3130153
>Quake vs Quake mod vs Quake killer
>>
Unreal > Quake 2 > Half-Life
>>
>>3130872
i'm scared to ask you where Quake 1 falls in there
>>
>>3130887
Q1 is too old and too different in design approach to be compared to 1998 games.
>>
>>3130732
>>3130509
Where did this 'half life was a bad game' meme come from? It was an objectively good game with fun levels, solid combat and great atmosphere and was ground breaking in the way it diverted from the 'old school' formula
>>
>>3130119

I actually like quake and quake 2 and unreal quite a bit

Around release I was always more of a fan of unreal, but I still can't decide if it was because of the game, or the engine, or the advancements made...

Stepping out of the crashed frigate and looking into the sky, running around the waterfalls and such...

Gave me and sense of adventure and exploration that was unmatched until metro I'd prime.

Quake had more tight design, for sure.

Unreal is a completely different game but I loved them both. Unreal's sci-fi theme worked better for me than q1 when I was that age. Now I appreciate q1 a lot more than I did and I think they're equals in their own way.

If I had to go back and replay one it'd definitely be unreal, especially with the whole telling the story through translators / scans that's been copied up through doom 3 and dark souls and everything.

And besides, the first time I wielded the stick of six fires (as the nail called the eightball cannon), I fell in love. So yeah. The weapon design in unreal pushes it over the edge. Razorback decapitations. Crazy 5 barrel split into 2 and 3 barrel minigun. It was amazing.
>>
>>3130930
It came around when modern corridor cutscene cinematic shooters saturated the market and shitposters had to point fingers at something.
>>
>>3130119
Quake >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Half-Life

Never played Unreal :^O
>>
>>3130930
Because Quake babbys need to embezzle their tech demo.
>>
File: ssg.png (6KB, 615x250px) Image search: [Google]
ssg.png
6KB, 615x250px
>>3130749
Right? I've been saying this for years.

>>3130751
I admit, the grenade and rocket launchers are among some of the best. It's the other weapons that suck: the shotguns feel, sound and shoot like shit. Pic related is the best shotgun in possibly any game, no contest. The nailguns are lame compared to Doom's minigun. Lightning gun is cool but not as good as the plasma and BFG.

Doom has better sound and variety.
>>
>>3131073
Blood shotgun is better than super shotgun. No argument
>>
Unreal's given me the fondest memories out of the three. It's also the comfiest.
>>
>>3131243
Blood shotgun is basically the best thing ever (after sex and dnb raves). Although Blood's dynamite is p cool, too...
>>
>>3130119
HL > Q > U
>>
If you are a metalfag and a PC gamer, you should feel roughly the same way about Half Life, as you should feel about the At The Gates album "Slaughter of the Soul".

Each are amazing in their own right, and especially so considering the time and context of their release; however, looked at in retrospect and taking into consideration the influence they each had on their respective genre reveals a much uglier picture.

Were it not for Half-Life and it's sequel we'd never have had the god-awful "movie FPS" category we live with now, that has just about wiped out traditional shooters. Even the Doom reboot looks like it'll just be Destiny with demons. In much the same way, without SotS, we'd never have had that fucking unforgivable 2000's -core trend that turned metal into pussy music for faggots with ear stretchers and fringes.

Quake stands up best out of them all in the present day, IMO, ifonly because of its simplicity. There really isn;t much to dislike. Unreal on the other hand as a great tech demo for the engine, but the story mode was shit as fuck; deathmatch would have been GOAT were it not ruined by the shitty netcode at launch. Unreal Tournament remedied that,and is still IMO the GOAT arena shooter, but it was too late to be a game-changer by that point.
>>
Unreal because dat ambience, also I like the combat which is focused on small fights against a few tough, intelligent opponents.

But seriously, DAT FUCKING AMBIENCE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0adENUcJYos
>>
Hey, guys- Fun fact.

You can convert the Unreal deathmatch maps into Unreal Tournament maps, and they're totally backwards compatible. You just have to open them in Unreal Ed and then save them into your UT99 maps folder or something like that; maybe change the file type, I forget.

But either way I suggest you give it a try. Unreal had some awesome deathmatch maps, including the original incarnation of DM_Curse.
>>
>>3131569
>Were it not for Half-Life and it's sequel we'd never have had the god-awful "movie FPS" category we live with now
that shit was inevitable tbf. if half life didn't do it another would have done it.
>>
>>3131569
It's really cute people fail to realize "if it wasn't for Half-Life" there would just be another game to take its place. It doesn't mean you will never ever find a videogame/FPS that bears cinematic elements if Half-Life never existed.

>logic
>>
>>3131810
>>3131808

That's all well and good fellas, but in this reality we inhabit, there was Half-Life, and Half-Life was the one that did it, so deal with it.

Nobody's saying it was a bad game, but the legacy is undeniable. It's like trying to deny the fact that rock music has a blues root, it's just a fact. Half-Life was a brilliant game, but it inspired shitty game design in turn.

If you don't like it, go switch to the parallel universe where Gaben died in a bus accident, and all modern shooters are Daikatana derivatives.
>>
>>3131837
Yeah I bet if Halo never existed, it would be Goldeneye's control scheme that every game would go on to adapt from.
>>
File: image.png (3KB, 229x151px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3KB, 229x151px
>>3131837
Was this supposed to be cringey or are you a DWEEB.
>>
they're all really great games
>>
Wouldn't it make more sense to compare Quake 2 to them?
>>
Quake and Half-Life are flipping awesome and have great mods that are still made. Unreal's gameplay hasn't really held up well and is kind of boring. Unreal Tournament on the other hand...
>>
>>3132120
You have a point, they all are like a journey in a sense.
>>
>>3132148
I know most people would not agree but I think the opposite, I just don't enjoy ut99 as an arena shooter, I had a lot of fun with unreal though.
>>
>>3132287

I meant more in the sense that Quake 1 is is a lot closer to Doom in overall design whereas the other two are much more narrative and objective based. Half Life 1 especially reminds me of Quake 2 where you have a clear objective and you work towards it amidst backtracking
>>
>>3132294
That's essentially what I meant.
>>
>>3132291

I can understand that. UT99 isn't quite as solid as Q3 as an arena shooter. Unreal is a great single player game though.
>>
>>3131073
No way, the super nail gun kicks ass and sounds fucking mean.
>>
>>3132327
Personally I think Q3 only trumps in DM, but in all other gamemodes I'd greatly favor UT.
>>
Quake 2 a poo
Half Life 3 a pee
Unreal a wheel
Quake a great

amirite famtulas? :^)
>>
>>3132327

Each has their place in my view, but there really wasn't much that separated Q3 from the deathmatch in Q1 or Q2 apart from shinier graphics. Unreal Tournament felt a lot fresher at the time, and the weapons were the most interesting and varied any FPS has ever had, apart from maybe Painkiller.

Nowadays in the endless shotgun/assault rifle/sniper rifle blandness, I just desperately want another shooter that dares to do something interesting with it's gameplay like Unreal did. It's such a shame games like Bulletstorm bombed as hard as they did, that was pretty much the only fresh and interesting shooter I can think of from the past decade.
>>
>>3134036
>Un-reel
disgusting
>>
>>3134038

Bulletstorm was shit
>>
Quake > SiN > Half-Life SP > Unreal > Half-Life MP
>>
>>3134270
Sin is generic as fuck.
>>
>>3134396
it really wasn't. it's just that half life was released the same month. and the first release of sin had massive loading times, and the first patch was 50megs, lol.
>>
The sound design in Quack and UnReal blew my mind as a kid. The reverb gave me gasms.
>>
>>3134404
It had some neat features, but the gameplay just feels like it was a q2 tc
>>
>>3134252
Bulletstorm was THE shit I think you mean

>>3134270
Unreal is much too far down that list
>>
Half-Life is for cucks 2bh
>>
>>3135294
Unreal just isn't that good. Sorry you had to find out this way.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.