[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the deal with water levels?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8

File: Water-Temple.jpg (15KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
Water-Temple.jpg
15KB, 600x300px
What's the deal with water levels?
>>
They slow.
>>
They're slow.
They're too blue.
Sand and seaweed are boring.
>>
At least water levels are consistently awful.

Ice levels, on the other hand, are either really bad or really good. They're like a rollercoaster of bullshit.
>>
File: image.jpg (114KB, 608x448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114KB, 608x448px
Pretty fun
>>
I never mind the water levels unless you can only stay in the water for a short time and have to keep coming to the surface to keep alive. That's annoying.
>>
>>3124330
What's the deal with faggot memes? Water levels are fine.
>>
File: What's the deal.jpg (65KB, 1536x960px) Image search: [Google]
What's the deal.jpg
65KB, 1536x960px
He's not a ker, and he's not a mit!
>>
File: He's not a catcher's mitt.jpg (16KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
He's not a catcher's mitt.jpg
16KB, 300x250px
He's not a catcher's mitt, for catching baseballs!
>>
Too slow and most games that include them don't have decent swimming engines or mechanics, so suddenly you have to learn new controls. This inherently isn't a bad thing, but considering that they're typically low quality and implement weird degrees of inertia it gets bullshitty quick.
>>
It's all the swimming. Nobody would complain about water levels otherwise. Swimming around looking for something is NOT fun.
>>
>>3124330
In 3d : Most people have problems with orientation.

In general: You can use less skills and you are worse at fighting, it's slower and often you can drown.

It's the oppposite of the power fantasy.
>>
>>3124330
They break the flow of normal gameplay, use different physics from the rest of the game, and generally restrict your character in annoying/awkward ways.

Usually the games that do good water levels are games consistently based on a water environment, like Ecco.

I'd say Majora's Mask is how you do water levels right. The Zora mask empowers you in the water instead of retristicting you, so even though it breaks the flow of the physics of the rest of the game it feels fun and rewarding in a way.
>>
Hey, we're having fun right? You're zipping along, being a space marine or a mutant turtle or just some guy who loves some girl and hates the evil wizard, that's fun, huh? The pace is pretty tight, better hurry up and get all those rings and shiny things! But hang on, we got a water level we better

GO

FOR

A

DIP

FOR

A

MINUTE

OR

TEN
>>
Swimming levels turn Quake into Descent.
>>
File: MD_Ecco_the_Dolphin.png (6KB, 320x225px) Image search: [Google]
MD_Ecco_the_Dolphin.png
6KB, 320x225px
What are you some kinda faggot?
>>
File: Super Mario 64 Wet Dry World.jpg (68KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Super Mario 64 Wet Dry World.jpg
68KB, 640x480px
>>
>>3124669
I am so triggered right now.
>>
>>3124669

i always turned stream off when speedrunner reach swimming level.

this level was amazing tho
>>
>>3124526
>>3124669
You guys know what's up. Great Bay Temple and Wet-Dry World are easily my favorite water levels, though they both have a mechanic that lessens the boredom of swimming around everywhere at 50% speed.
>>
You're the water level of your family
>>
File: swkotor-manaan-starmap.jpg (144KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
swkotor-manaan-starmap.jpg
144KB, 1280x960px
>no violence allowed for the first half
>no running allowed for the second half

Still my favorite level because of the music though.
>>
>>3124330
Idk OP but not ALL water levels are bad.
>>
>>3124890

Sick burn dude.
>>
>>3124330
Now that I know my way through OoT's water temple like the back of my hand, I love it.
Serene and calming, but focused.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.