[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Delicious but deadly.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Kings Quest 1.png (4KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
Kings Quest 1.png
4KB, 320x200px
Delicious but deadly.
>>
This game is really too primitive to be enjoyable today desu.
>>
>>3123304
Yeah really.
>>
THROW BABY
>>
>>3123304
It's enjoyable if you want it to be enjoyable.
>>
If you had to actually play KQ1 in the 80s it would be much much worse because you couldn't pull up a map of the game in two seconds of Google searching also you'd have to wait for it to load stuff from the game floppy every time you change screens.
>>
>>3123602
Poow widdle Miwennial cwybaby.

Seriously, fuck you kid you couldn't have handled those days.
>>
>>3123602
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XZQb_HMfl0
>>
>throw thermal pod
>>
>>3123650
Shit, I hadn't heard that "KRSHHH KREESHH KREE-EESHHH" since forever.
>>
>>3123602
>>3123650
Sierra released three booter versions of KQ1. The first was the original PCjr version that came out in early 1984. The IBM XT version came out later in the year and the Tandy 1000 version in 1985.

The booter versions use AGI v1 which means there's no menus and all game messages appear on a scrolling prompt at the bottom of the screen. They require a separate save floppy.

The PCjr version in theory should run on 128k Tandy 1000/As while the Tandy version should run on the PCjr but might have graphical glitches. The IBM XT version should run on all three but may do strange things on the PCjr and will also display an incorrect color palette.

None of the booter versions do any speed throttling which means they're unplayable on anything but a 4.77Mhz 8088. They do seem to run faster than the DOS version however, not only the animation but disk access (this can be explained by how the booter versions use INT 13h calls directly instead of the added overhead of the DOS API).

As noted above, the booter KQ1 requires a special save floppy, in fact the instruction manual tells the user to use the COPY DISK command to prepare a save floppy. What this actually does is make an exact duplicate of the original game disk, which is even bootable, however saving on the copy disk will render it unbootable. The copy disk will still work otherwise and level data can be loaded from it.
>>
The apparent idea behind this was that you would make a backup of the original disk that you would actually play on and save games to, but still use the original to boot up the game for copy protection purposes. Once booted, you'd then switch to your "play" disk. Note that you can save your game to the original disk as well, but it won't boot anymore.

The IBM version of KQ1 writes directly to the CGA 3D9h register to switch to the red/green/brown/blue colors, so if you ran it on a PCjr or EGA/VGA card, this would fail and you'd just get cyan/magenta/white/black.

For KQ2, Sierra switched to a different copy protection hence you merely save games to a save floppy without doing an entire duplication of the original disk. Also KQ2 supports the IBM XT/PCjr/Tandy all at once and automatically detects the system it's running on at startup. The CGA color palette is changed via INT 10h Function B in KQ2 rather than bit-banging the palette register.

The booter version of KQ1 also has several things missing from the DOS version namely the bird chirping and water rushing sounds (the latter PCjr/Tandy only), also unique sound effects for each enemy (the PCjr version has different enemy sounds than the IBM/Tandy versions). The sorcerer uses a different sprite in the booter versions than the DOS version which uses the KQ2 sorcerer sprite. The DOS versions of the AGI engine also draw everything in an off-screen buffer and blit it into VRAM instead of the paint fill effect of the booter versions, this change was made partially because it looked cleaner, also because it accidentally gave away hidden objects.
>>
>>3123706
I've actually run KQ3 on an IBM XT. The full-height Tandon drives are _much_ quieter than the noisy ones in his Tandy there.
>>
Here was a bit of info I found on the booter KQ2:

"King's Quest II requires you to prepare a save disk using the "init disk" or "format disk" commands. If you have a two disk drive system, it will save to drive B:. Drive B: can be a 5."25 Double Density or 3.5" drive Double or High Density drive, and the game will have no problems saving to a Double Density disk. I do not know if a high density 5.25" drive or high density 5.25" or 3.5" disks will work, but I have doubts. This save disk cannot be read by DOS."

I don't see why this guy thinks it wouldn't save to a high density floppy since the disk type is invisible to the INT 13h routines. In fact you can even do things like use WinImage to copy a 360k image file of the booter KQ1 to a 1.44MB 3.5" disk and it will boot up and run.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.