[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is Seiken Densetsu 3?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: sd3pixelart.png (57KB, 500x316px) Image search: [Google]
sd3pixelart.png
57KB, 500x316px
I want to play another great Action RPG on the Super Nintendo (love Secret of Mana). The only two that come up are SD3 and Terranigma. The former has multiplayer which is a plus, but I am not sure which is the better of the two.
>>
i loved SD3 growing up, havent played Terranigma.

I played sd3 countlessly, twice over zsnes netplay with a ton of restarting whenever me and my friend would de-sync. i'd say it's more fun solo honestly because MENUS SUCK. if you do play with a friend, try to limit it to one caster
>>
>>3122016
Apples and oranges, both are worth playing for different reasons.
>>
>>3122016
Terranigma has a bit more of an indepth combat system, where as SD3 is more button mashy and you know, very similar to SoM in terms of the wheel system.

I think they're both worth playing but they are vastly different.

If you want more "action" oriented, Terranigma is probably the way to go, since it's very much about attacking and dodging enemy attacks and you are quite mobile.

If you want the more JRPG style of SoM, SD3 is the way to go.

Just for your own notes, afaik SD3 only supports 2 player multiplayer although there may have been a patch.
>>
>>3122016
Seiken Densetsu 3 deserves all the praise it gets. It's fun, there's great graphics, the story branches in an almost SaGa-like way with what characters you choose. If it had been localized for America way back when, no one would remember Secret of Mana as fondly for sure.

If there is one downside, it's that you miiiight want to think about looking at a FAQ for a class guide, since there's nothing in the game that'll tell you, but it's not strictly required for a first playthough.
>>
File: SD3Art.png (3MB, 1384x1000px) Image search: [Google]
SD3Art.png
3MB, 1384x1000px
>>3122016
They both are terrific games that I've played several times.

I've played SD3 many more times than SoM (15+ vs 4+). It has much higher replay value because you pick 3 out of 6 characters when you start the game, and each character has 4 final classes, so the variety of teams is immense. The dialog is a lot better too. The biggest downside to SD3 is that magic freezes the game when it fires off, unlike in SoM where you could keep moving. The graphics and music are arguably some of the best on the system too. It has a lot of bugs in it, but they have never gotten in the way of my enjoyment of the game.

Terranigma is also a treat. It plays like a cross between SoM and Zelda; the action is a lot better integrated than SoM or Zelda, but you don't get any other tools other than your trusty spear, so the puzzles are more akin to SoM. The story is fantastic (ok, so the human part loses some of the magic), and has one of the best endings of any video game (minus the last 3 seconds). The only downsides of Terranigma is that magic is completely worthless.

Don't worry about which is better. Play both of them, because you'd be missing out if you didn't.

PS: I'd suggest start with SD3. After a play thru hit up Terranigma. If you liked SD3, then go back and try a different party.

PPS: The best story in SD3 concerns Hawk and Reise (your choice of main character affects which final dungeon you get). The best melee characters are Hawk and Kevin. Magic is cool, but slows the pace of the game considerably.
>>
>>3122016
I still need to get around to these apparently great RPGs, and I will some day. But my question is why does no one talk about SD 2?

Secret of Mana is SD 1 right? Everyone immediately goes onto priase SD 3 it seems.
>>
>>3122085
Secret of Mana is SD2, which is why SD3 is sometimes called Secret of Mana 2.
>>
File: kevin_-_main_de_mort.jpg (26KB, 337x557px) Image search: [Google]
kevin_-_main_de_mort.jpg
26KB, 337x557px
>>3122091
To expand on this, the original Seiken Densetsu 1 never came out. It was supposed to be a famicom game, but Square wasn't able to complete it. This was just before Final Fantasy was released, when Square was in danger of closing.

But then the name was used for a gameboy title, which was released overseas as Final Fantasy Adventure.
>>
>>3122091
>>3122098
Oh shit yes I remember that now. That clears things up. Since I didn't know the history, "Final Fantasy Adventure" made it feel like an FF ripoff when I was younger and turned me off from it.

I actually need to play Secret of Mana as it is, and then come to SD3 because I hear nothing but praise for that one.
>>
>>3122107
Secret of Mana is kind of rough, to be honest. The story is really confusing and disjointed due to how rushed development was. The gameplay is solid, of course, but you're not exactly missing anything if you skip it.
>>
>>3122037
>4 Final Classes

Honestly, some of the classes really suck, or are just grossly outclassed.

For Kevin specifically: your end game Dark paths are Death Hand and Dervish.

Death Hand I think has more attack power, but the skill, Energy Ball fucking sucks compared to the Dervish' Moon Saber. I can't remember what it does exactly, but it either increases critical chance (totally broken in SD3) or fills your combo meter which is useless because every single enemy in the late game counters anything above green.

Then there are things like Duran's light path not getting full benefit of the shields (again, broken) or classes just having a lot of overlap in abilities.

One of the core problems is the existance of items at the black market. That basically means you don't need to invest in a class that may be slightly weaker that offers utility (again, like Swordmaster).

That being said, if you do the second class change you're absolutely going to shit on the game regardless since the class changes spike your stats so fucking high anyways.
>>
>>3122016
Not bad but overrated because it's bugged as fuck and unfinished.
>>
>>3122143

Cant remember, but isn't one of the stats bugged and it never improves no matter how many points you put into it?

I think it was agility, but not sure
>>
>>3122124

Supposedly Squaresoft cut out as much as 40% of the total game because the snes cd add on was dropped

That would explain why the story is all over the place
>>
>>3122125
>Black Market
>Have access to almost every buff in the game

How did this even fly?
>>
>>3122167
Luck improves criticals supposedly, but crits are bugged so they almost never happen anyway.

>>3122176
Honestly, with how badly every game in the Mana series has been, it's a shock it survives. I think only the first gameboy game is relatively pristine and I have only heard good things about the iOS/Android remake, but everything inbetween is plagued with bugs, cuts and in at least one case: bad ganeplay
>>
>>3122167
I think it's agi too.

I recall because Hawk needs it to unlock his spells in at least the Ninja class but probably also the Wanderer class as well.

That being said, even investing large amount of points into agi, Hawk is still one of the strongest characters in the game. The game does have hard caps for stats at certain points so you aren't necessarily wasting stats anyways.
>>
>>3122125
>That basically means you don't need to invest in a class that may be slightly weaker that offers utility (again, like Swordmaster).

I think you're thinking about Lise's classes anon. Swordmaster is the only class in the game that gets access to both moon and leaf saber, two of the most bullshit abilities in the entire game.
>>
>>3122320
Well, I basically mean Duran in general is pretty shit, especially compared to Lise as the rough equivalent of tanky damage dealer + utility spells.

Black market gives all of his buffs, and Kevin's Dark-Dark gives Moonsaber. You probably will never run out of MP with any character setup unless you have like Angela + Dark Carlie, but even then, stuff should be dead before you use 9 Faerie Walnuts.
>>
It's clunky as fuck, Kevin is overpowered as fuck, the story stops existing once you hit Wendel.

It's alright but nothing more.The graphics and music are good but don't make up for the horrible gameplay.
>>
I played Secret of Mana with 10~ years with a nerd friend from the beggining to the end, it was great, it has charm and a oddly great ost.

Played SD3 recently in a mobile emulator... and I didn't see anything special, I know mobile is garbage but anyway, I agree with >>3122446

But TERRANIGMA, MY NIGGA, this is awesome, and everybody should play this! It's a Illusion of Time/Gaia with GOOD gameplay haha, the plot is interesting, good graphics etc etc
>>
>>3122016
it's much better than secret of mana
feels like an actual action game with combos, rather than needing to wait to charge up your attack and all that bs in SoM
>>
>>3122803
SD3 doesn't penalize you like SoM, but there is definitely a cooldown time between attacks that depend on your dexterity. The first few times I played SD3 I would button mash. Now I understand the timing of the game, so I only press attack when my character is actually able to.

>>3122534
SD3 I think is great because it ups the challenge factor significantly over SoM. The only downside to SD3 I think is that each character has their own weapon, unlike in SoM where the party shared 8 weapons. Then again the weapons in SoM, while very cool, honestly don't add that much depth to the game. At the end of the day though, I like them both very much.
>>
File: Kevin_Grappler.png (498KB, 650x910px) Image search: [Google]
Kevin_Grappler.png
498KB, 650x910px
Okay, been doing an Angela/Duran/Kevin team, and as I'm closing in on lvl 18 I realize I should really pick what class routes I want to go.

Duran for sure is going to be Swordmaster. No issues there.

Kevin I want to go Death Fist, I'm pretty sure. Buuuut, maybe Warrior Monk for heals. I'm not exactly sure if I need it, though. I'm pretty certain I can just make up the difference with healing item abuse, but I'm not super confident.

Angela I'm split. Grand Divina seems like a good bet, but either of her Dark/* classes are good, too.

What do you think, /vr/?
>>
>>3122016
For some reason this game gives me motion sickness. In 25 years of playing games and beating hundreds its the only one to have done that. I think the backgrounds are too detailed so I kept getting confused what was my character and what was bg at certain parts. I ended up beating it but still. Weird.
>>
>>3124368
Half Life 2 is the only game to give me motion sickness.
>>
>>3124368
I totally get mixing your character up with the background/other characters/enemies when they're all just bunched up in some corner. I blame the either shitty AI getting stuck or the stage designer(s) for not taking into account the shitty AI.
>>
>>3122016
One of the only emulated games I played for more than 15 minutes. Once I started with the girl mage girl and couldn't get past the starting area, I just couldn't find which NPC to talk to to trigger the flag to let me continue.
what a long fucking game though, so much grinding, I never even got to my first class change.
>>
>>3125387
Angela? I'm pretty sure there's one specific NPC you have to talk to just past the kitchen area where there's the hurt soldier in the bed. And then when you get to the first town you have to make sure you talk to the two people in the Inn to be able to take the boat. THEN you need to specifically talk to the fortune teller. And later don't forget to talk to the old manjust near the town exit before looking for the dwarves in the Cleft of Earth.

My friend and I were discussing whether this or Breath of Fire 1 had more infuriating "Talk to this one EXACT NPC to advance the plot."

To be fair, my roommate was having that exact problem playing through the first Lunar on his Sega CD recently. Honestly I don't remember all these old RPGs being this bad.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.