[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Earthbound programming...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 13

File: 523930_v1.jpg (430KB, 550x730px) Image search: [Google]
523930_v1.jpg
430KB, 550x730px
Tell me more.
>>
This is parody, right. Pretty sure tomato successfully cracked it.
>>
>>3120689
http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_2030_31-astonishing-tricks-used-to-make-video-games-come-to-life/
>>
>>3120691
And this is tomato's take on it.
http://media.earthboundcentral.com/2011/04/a-look-at-the-mother-2-side/index.html
>>
File: index.jpg (3KB, 156x186px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
3KB, 156x186px
Ooh, by the way, Iwata himself worked on it.
>>
>>3120689
You would be wrong. Last I checked they still haven't figured out how the map animation system works.
>>
It was fucked up code from the beginning and then Iwata joined the development team and unfucked it.

The end.
>>
File: ebshoptext.png (986KB, 2400x950px) Image search: [Google]
ebshoptext.png
986KB, 2400x950px
>>3121121
>unfucked it.
Take a good fucking look at it and tell me it's unfucked again. This is the text routine for every single shop in the game.
>>
>>3121124
Where can we find this with legibly sized boxes?
>>
>>3121127
That's as legible as it gets. There is no text in the boxes, or anything else. They are just there to represent the pointers and flag checks that make up the text routine for every shop in the game.
>>
>>3120686
I think that picture made me die a little bit. I have a feeling this thread is going to be filled with people making claims about things they know nothing about.
>>
>>3120686
i don't like this content-aggregation-y approach

especially since zero credit is given to >>3120694

but of course they made sure to stick their own logo on it.
>>
>>3121129
So it's just some kind of obfuscation mechanism?
>>
>>3121403
The image took an off-hand remark made in jest and twisted it into some shocking revelation. You're right to recoil at it.
>>
>>3121403
Cracked are still a clickbait site, but by the standards of clickbait content theirs is pretty high. If I like something they write about I generally do my own research into the subject, I get that it's not an academic website by any means but I do wish they cited their sources better.
>>
File: 523920_v1.jpg (329KB, 550x377px) Image search: [Google]
523920_v1.jpg
329KB, 550x377px
I'm annoyed by how much they bungled the concept of mipmapping (unless TW3 actually does stream textures this way).
>>
>>3120709
Fucking cancer ;_;
He should have had at least anotber 20 years
>>
>>3121662
>but by the standards of clickbait content theirs is pretty high
Lol no, they got bought out years ago and let their forum members write for them, they churn out lowbrow SJW clickbait today and try to push t-shirts their parent company are selling.

They went to the fucking hounds, man.
>>
>>3121679
I hate the way so many of the images on that article (including this one) just assume you know what game they're on about. Many a time, (including this one) I didn't.
>>
>>3121679
>(unless TW3 actually does stream textures this way)
it might, a lot of modern engines have very slow mipmap loading. Bethesda engines are awful in that regard.
>>
Convoluted != advanced

That's like making an AI do only a certain set amount of things in the brute-forcest way possible. It gets the job done, perhaps, but it's bloated and inefficient. Of course, since it's just a videogame, the devs probably didn't care about keeping the code readable/maintainable.
>>
>>3121584
I feel the team was fully aware of romhacking at the time.
Same reason they put out such a nasty anti-piracy system.

They fucked it so it would take decades to crack. That's my theory.
>>
>>3121124
Fuck, you might as well just write an engine that happens to look just like the Earthbound engine.

Pretty sure that's what the Mother 4 team's doing.
>>
>>3122340
>Convoluted != advanced

The Japanese just didn't know how to program properly.
>>
>>3122128
This.

When the site changed from red to blue is about when it completely went to shit. I used to read Cracked all the time back in the day.
>>
>>3121124

nuclear physics to buy a hamburger lmao
>>
I love this series, but Jesus Christ, its fan base is pure, unbridled autism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1qr4MfKJHs
>>
>>3122506
What fanbase isn't extremely toxic and full of sh*tlords?
>>
>>3122514
>sh*tlords
>*

What the fuck is this shit?
>>
>>3122506
No doubt. I love every game and am even looking forward to Mother 4 whenever they happen to finish it, but goddamn.

I've got a bad habit of liking shit like that too.
I loved Undertale and Homestuck before that.
Same exact idiot fans.
>>
>>3121403
Claims without substance? Sounds like Cracked. Why are people so willing to believe things folks tell them on the internet with 0 justification is beyond me.
>>
>>3120686
>trying to reverse engineer something from an assembly dump
>WHY'S IT SO COMPLEX

Probably wasn't very complex if you looked at hte original source.
>>
>>3120686
>>3120694
So what I'm getting from this is that it's not so much "advanced" as it is convoluted?

Perhaps it isn't as mindblowing as Clickbaited seem to want us to think, but it's still pretty neat, I guess.
>>
>>3122831
Sounds like it's not even convoluted just not publicly documented.
>>
>>3122392
Exhibit A: >>3120709
Mr. Iwata was a very skilled programmer and probably the reason Earthbound was finished at all, he also applied a lot of fixing and compression magic onto gen2 pokémon which is how that was made possible at all.

Though I supppose you could argue he's the exception proving the rule, with how other people fucking up or not having the required competence necessitated him swooping in and saving the day.
>>
>>3122514
Why the fuck aren't you swearing?

>>3122635
Cracked.com more like Cucked.com
>>
File: 1441370899665.gif (14KB, 500x596px) Image search: [Google]
1441370899665.gif
14KB, 500x596px
>>3122632
>I loved Undertale and Homestuck
>>
>>3122120
Iwata was a terrible fucking CEO.
He held Nintendo back so much during his tenure and didn't have the foggiest clue how to properly run a business.
While he didn't become CEO until 2002, he was around during the decision to have the Gamecube use mini-DVD's rather than normal DVD's which destroyed third party support.
The DS honestly was an awful console, that was only saved by a stellar line-up of games (not something he had anything to do with).
The Wii also, was an awful idea. Turning a planned Gamecube add-on into an ridiculously under-powered console to compete in a new console generation was a pants on head reatrded idea. Not allowing DVD playback (despite the Wii hardware being easily capable of doing it as we have seen through the incredible Wii homebrew community) was also stupid seeing as they were going for a casual audience and it would have been a huge selling point.
The success of both consoles were a fluke.

The WiiU again showed the incompetency of Iwata but on a catastrophic level that resulted in a failure akin to the Virtual Boy.
Again with being ridiculously underpowered compared to its competitors which again destroyed third party support, and again not even allowing DVD playback.
The fucking controller was also a boneheaded decision and a failed attempt at trying to one-up the so-called innovations (IE gimmicks) of the Wii.

Glad that hack is dead so Nintendo can finally go back to being respected.
Sure, Nintendo has great first party titles, but those first party titles cannot sustain a company.
Sustaining a company requires being able to actually compete with your competitors and not making absolutely retarded decisions with your products.
>>
>>3122957
Being a skilled programmer doesn't mean you know how to run a company.
Unless you mean run a company into the goddamn fucking ground.
>>
>>3122831
>it is convoluted?
The codebase was a cobbled together nightmare of a mess BEFORE anyone even tried to make something workable out of it. We wouldn't be surprised if the people who finished the game don't fully understand what's going on under the hood.
>>
>>3123174
Hey, no need to lie. I just happen to like games and webcomics that attract horrible fanbases.
I love the Sonic series, too, provided it's not 3D.
>>
>>3122514
>>3122630
>>3122960
>He doesnt have a 4chan gold pass.
>>
>>3123179
Wii and DS printed money. If that doesn't count as CEO success, I dont know what does.

And the omission of DVD on the Wii was to cut licensing costs.

I'll give you the rest of your points.
>>
>>3123215
The funny thing is that RPGs like Earthbound are literally the easiest type of production game to make, outside making all the content. A decent programmer could probably get the engine to fit withing 128kB.
>>
>>3121121
>Iwata joined the development team and unfucked it.
Iwata didn't do shit to fix it, he just made sure it shipped. Get Nintendos cock out of your ass jesus fuck
>>
>>3123179
>Gamecube use mini-DVD's rather than normal DVD's which destroyed third party support.

You have to be mentally ill to believe this. The majority of third party games did not even use more than 1.5GB of data, and many that did just padded space. It doesn't cost much to include a second mini-disc.

>The DS honestly was an awful console that was only saved by a stellar line-up of games

Yeah, it sure was awful that Nintendo utterly destroyed PSP despite every prediction to the contrary. Guess what: it was the console's superior design that led to superior games. PSP had every third party lined up to suck Sony's dick like with the PS2 and all they could do was make inferior downported consoles games where you wait 5 minutes to load, instead of graceful instant loading touch screen games.

>The Wii also, was an awful idea
Yeah, it sure was stupid for Nintendo to halt their downward trajectory of console sales!

>The success of both consoles were a fluke.
Yeah, sure, cause if you strike gold twice in a row that's gotta just be coincidence!

I'm not defending Wii U though.

Get help for your ignorance.
>>
>>3121121
You're thinking of Pokemon Stadium's battle engine, m8.
>>
>>3123179
>The DS honestly was an awful console, that was only saved by a stellar line-up of games (not something he had anything to do with).

Holy shit you are dumb. The DS is arguably one of the best consoles of all time from both a hardware and software point. The hardware was nothing short of genius. Iwata understood what a portable system needed to accomplish. It was powerful enough for games to look great and efficiently made so that battery life was fantastic. The DS also stood for Developer System, because Iwata wanted to emphasize the system being as easy as possible to develop for hence the great library of games. Compare that to PSP which was a pain in the ass to program for, and also had several design flaws that killed battery life and led to high failure rates. Calling the most successful console of all time bad is completely asinine.
>>
>>3123252
You don't seem to understand what the word fluke means.
Also, games sell consoles.
The DS was lucky it had a great library of games, and the Wii was lucky it had a poorly implemented gimmick that appealed to soccer moms.
In reality though they were not well thought out business decisions and were accidental successes. IE flukes.
>>
>>3123328
>In reality though they were not well thought out business decisions and were accidental successes. IE flukes.

Nintendo must be real life leprechauns or something! How else could they stumble so stupidly in business and get not one but TWO business successes in a row!

It's not possible that their business plans must have been good! Because they are Nintendo and they do things I don't understand they MUST be idiots!
>>
>>3123328
>In reality though they were not well thought out business decisions and were accidental successes.

So a well thought out business decision has to be a failure to succeed? Get the heck out of here, dude.
>>
>>3123252
>stabbing your fanbase in the back so you can sell more units to grandmas and soccer moms
>a good thing
Go fuck yourself. The Wii was a mistake in all regards besides monetary gain and Nintendo will never recover from it, because now they have neither the casual nor core audience.
>>
>>3123348
Nintendo is a business dipshit. More money == more success is the only metric that matters for businesses.
>>
>>3123179
Back to >>>/v/ child, you're out of your depth.
>>
>>3123348
If you actually genuinely like Nintendo then you will like the Wii because it gave Nintendo huge amounts of cash to keep them going for many years longer.

Wii had plenty of games to appeal to Nintendo's traditional base, in net quantity probably more than Gamecube. You people obsess too much over Nintendo's marketing efforts.

>Nintendo will never recover from it, because now they have neither the casual nor core audience.

Do you know why this happened?

It wasn't that the casuals left Nintendo (if you look the sales figures, you'll see Wii sold very strongly up to and including Christmas 2010), it was Nintendo who left the casuals in 2011 in order to focus on their traditional base. Nintendo almost completely stopped making games for casuals in 2011. It's little wonder they moved to mobile platforms which actually catered to them.

Wii U was a mistake because it awkwardly tried to reconcile the two markets without satisfying anybody. It has nothing to do with what the Wii did. Let's imagine for a moment the original Wii didn't exist, and there was a Gamecube 2 released instead. It would have sold like shit, and if the Wii U was released after that, it would have also sold like shit.

My point is that Nintendo was already on the downward trajectory before the Wii. The only thing the Wii can be blamed for is not doing MORE to stop it.
>>
>>3123332
Nintendo in a sense has become too big too fail.
Anything they put out will make money becase of their name recognition, yet if a company that wasn't Nintendo was making the same decisions they'd be filing for bankruptcy within a week.
>>
>>3123360
>and there was a Gamecube 2 released instead. It would have sold like shit
Bullshit.
If Nintendo created a console designed to compete with the PS3 and 360 with a decent online system, and comparable hardware they'd have done just fine.
>>
>>3123361
>too big too fail
This. They have very deep pockets because of the Wii (and everything else that came before it)
>>
>>3123361
>Anything they put out will make money becase of their name recognition, yet if a company that wasn't Nintendo was making the same decisions they'd be filing for bankruptcy within a week.

Which is why Nintendo has lost twice to gaming newcomers...lost to Sony in 5th gen and lost to Microsoft in 6th gen.

Nintendo doesn't have the recognition you think it has anymore. Soccer mums used to refer to "Nintendos" as a generic term for a game console. For the last 15 years they now use "Playstations".
>>
>>3123370
Which again, speaks to poor business decisions.
The Wii made a lot of money because it was a fad, not a good gaming console.
>>
>>3123364
>If Nintendo created a console designed to compete with the PS3 and 360 with a decent online system, and comparable hardware they'd have done just fine.

So you're saying that if Nintendo had created a "me too" HD clone console, they would have done well competing with companies that have deeper pockets and who came off the back of more successful 6th gen consoles?

The fact is that Nintendo needed an outlandish 6th gen console. Anything else would have been utterly ignored by the market.
>>
>>3123376
*outlandish 7th gen console
>>
>>3123370
Nintendo still has its name recognition you daft fuck. It just doesn't have the respect it once had because of boneheaded decisions on Iwata's part.

Honestly, every Nintendo console had some issues, but none were as profound as they became once Iwata came in charge.
>>
>>3123374
>The Wii made a lot of money because it was a fad, not a good gaming console.

What is a good gaming console is down to subjective taste. But what is objective is that the Wii was an incredible business success based on sales figures, profits, etc.

Nintendo have made some bad business decisions. Going with cartridges on N64 is probably #1, it was born of the same arrogance that led Sony to create the PS3.

But with Gamecube I think Nintendo accepted that it was just not logistically feasible to fight "head-to-head" with much bigger companies. What you call as "bad decisions" was actually just Nintendo trying to differentiate themselves in light of a more powerful competition.

The Wii was just the apex of this differentiation.
>>
>>3123376
Not even true buddy boy.
It has to do with marketing. Nintendo seemed to have completely forgotten how to market their consoles to the west after the N64.
If Nintendo had a console capable of actually competing with the 360 and PS3 and had a decent marketing campaign then it would have done fine.
NES, Gameboy, SNES, N64, and Gameboy Advanced all had really great marketing.
Onwards though Nintendo completely dropped the ball and had no clue how to market to the west anymore which had become the dominant place for video game sales.
>>
>>3123389
What are you talking about in regards to Gamecube?
If the Gamecube used normal DVD's and had a decent marketing campaign behind it would have just fine.
The console was actually pretty poweful.
Far moreso than the Dreamcast and PS2, and just barely behind the Xbox.
>>
File: ps3destroy.jpg (191KB, 468x858px) Image search: [Google]
ps3destroy.jpg
191KB, 468x858px
I'll just leave this here. This is back when people assumed the Wii was just going to be Gamecube 2.
>>
>>3123401
>What are you talking about in regards to Gamecube?

Using smaller disks was Nintendo's way of trying to differentiate their product by making it physically smaller and "cuter" than the competition. I honestly think it was probably an attempt to garner the female market. It wasn't because of the DVD license - Nintendo could make larger versions of Gamecube disks for the Wii without having to pay a license.

Relatively speaking, Gamecube wasn't that powerful considering its release in late 2001. You have to remember that the PS2 was released in early 2000. That's an almost 2 years difference. On the PC market that's like going from the original GeForce to the GeForce 3. Sure it was more powerful than the PS2, but the Xbox released at the same time was a lot stronger.

People blame Nintendo's marketing which is strange. Does anybody actually have proof that Nintendo suddenly started to spend less money on marketing for 6th gen? I actually reckon what they did was they targeted their commercials at different places than other consoles. Like kids and casuals (yes, I do remember Gamecube had a lot of ads aimed at casuals). Except it was pretty ineffective since kids wanted to play GTA and there wasn't much for casuals to do on Gamecube (except WarioWare maybe).
>>
>>3123418
>Using smaller disks was Nintendo's way of trying to differentiate their product by making it physically smaller and "cuter" than the competition
And how does that not sound like a fucking retarded and poorly thought out business decision?
>>
File: screen.png (256KB, 1022x5328px) Image search: [Google]
screen.png
256KB, 1022x5328px
>>3122506
>>3122632
The only Starmen.net members who don't seem like complete, stuttering, literally diagnosed autists are Reid Young, Tomato and H.S, the guy who's doing the Mother Remake. Check out the tread on that... That guy knows his shit. Everyone is talking about how batshit tangled and fucked Earthbound's code is, but that guy is untangling it and basically doing an entirely new game from scratch and adding in a ton of unique features to make the game play more like Mother 1's. Impressive as fuck, really. Pic and link related.
https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/Mother-Remake/page/1/

Messianic did most of the pixel art for the remake (and that's all like 99% done at this point) but he seems like a retard otherwise. On the thread for his "Earthbound Deluxe" hack where he meddled with all kinds of crap in the game, he basically demanded that anyone who does Let's Play videos of the hack use shitty smoothing filters that look like garbage.
>>
>>3123418
Naw, Nintendo didn't want the DVD functionality because they wanted the cube to be a strictly gaming system. On one hand this didn't really matter because every device and it's mom had a DVD player in it at this point, but it still was a colossally stupid design decision. They even produced a cube with Panasonic I think that had DVD functionality.
>>
>>3123426
Well it probably was a bit. But not as bad as people think. It's pretty sad that people tend to make the implication that going with mini-disks was like an N64 cartridge blunder style decisions. But then when you realize that 1) mini-disks don't hold that much less space than regular DVDs and 2) producing extra mini-disks with a game doesn't cost much (Squaresoft wasn't complaining about its 4 disk FF games after all), then the whole mini disk = fatal mistake thing doesn't hold up.

>>3123428
>They even produced a cube with Panasonic I think that had DVD functionality.

That's right. And nobody in Japan bought one and it was quickly discontinued.

DVD was (mostly) irrelevant for Gamecube.
>>
File: 1280px-Panasonic-Q-Console-Set.jpg (99KB, 1280x773px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Panasonic-Q-Console-Set.jpg
99KB, 1280x773px
>>3123428
Part of it had to be using some weird proprietary discs makes it harder to pirate the games for the system. Also, you're all forgetting that Japan had the Panasonic Q which was a Gamecube with DVD play back functionality.
>>
>>3123428
>>3123437
Oops I must've missed the last bit. You did in fact mention the Panasonic Q. Disregard that bit of the post.
>>
Actually the real reason the Gamecube didn't sell was because Nintendo threw the West under the bus in order to reclaim the Japanese market (it didn't succeed though).

It's the Sega Saturn of Nintendo.
>>
>>3123436
The west you fucking idiot.
The Panasonic Q never came out in the west.
After 5th gen, gaming became mostly dominant in the west.
People in the west loved the PS2 because it was a cheap DVD player that also played games.
It made the system sell like hot-cakes, which in turn provided a lot of third party exclusives.
The Gamecube failed because it didn't think about the western mindset.
>>
>>3123452
>The Panasonic Q never came out in the west.

When it sold like shit in Japan I wonder why.
>>
>>3123464
Japan and America are two very different cultures.
American's were literally obsessed with DVD players at the time.
Adding DVD functionality to the Gamecube, as silly as it may sound, would have saved it.
I was 20 when the Gamecube came out, and I remember countless people at my community college, and friends of my 15 year old brother naming one of their big reasons for buying the PS2 or Xbox over the Gamecube was for DVD functionality.
Not a reason like games, but because it could play DVD's.
Same thing happened in a lesser extent with the PS3.
>>
>>3123480
DVD was bigger in Japan at that time than in USA dude. VHS survived in USA much longer.

Shows how much you know.
>>
>>3123501
Not him, but that would probably mean then that a lot more Japanese people already had purchased DVD players years prior whereas a lot of Americans still hadn't picked up one by the time that the Gamecube and PS2 game out.
>>
>>3123505
Maybe, but DVD boomed in Japan in 2000, it boomed in USA in 2002.

But at the same time, the reason it boomed in USA in 2002 is because by then you could get a player for under $50. So maybe for early adopters it made a difference but not for the mainstream.
>>
File: 1160073961877.gif (124KB, 409x254px) Image search: [Google]
1160073961877.gif
124KB, 409x254px
>>3123179
he was bad at things, but he was apparently a good programmer. why he didn't just stay programming is beyond me
>>
>>3123328
>nintendo spends >9000 man years doing research and and designing consoles with gimmicks that appeal to their target market and gets loads of developers on board.
>their success is a fluke
>only I understand the true meaning of the word fluke
Literally. Retarded.
>>
>>3123591
Yeah, they were lucky. Instead of a handful of people buying it and realizing it sucks and the games were gimmicky, a million mommies bought it, so people kept developing games for it thinking those million mommies would buy the game too.
It should have died early on in disgrace, that's what it deserved, fuck the Wii
btw I'm a Nintendo fanboy and love the Wii U
>>
>>3123480
>Adding DVD functionality to the Gamecube, as silly as it may sound, would have saved it.
They did. It didn't. You fail. Was a nice machine though.
>>
>>3123594
So basically you disagree with the rest of the world and call everything dead wrong. Can you give me a tip on which horse is going to come dead last in the first race tomorrow. I wanna bet my house on that to win. kek.
>>
>>3123603
so basically you ignore how actually bad the console was and how many players disliked it and instead like to focus on the 95% of people who never bought a single game for it, only played with the wii sports that came with it
it deserved to die, they were fucking lucky, it was a fluke
>>
>>3123604
>instead like to focus on the 95% of people who never bought a single game for it, only played with the wii sports that came with it

Wii's attach ratio was 9 games to 1 console.
>>
>>3123604
If I just ignored the angry kids on the internet who hate the wii I wouldn't be replying to you, would I? Your shitty opinion doesn't change the fact that the console was a huge success. Even if you offered some facts to support you opinion it wouldn't change the fact that it was a huge success. It's just a fact dude. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a wii as a child or something but you hating it isn;t going to change history.
>>
>>3123604
Is that you Adam Koralik? He's literally the only person who actually believes that only soccer moms bought the Wii.

The Wii was a huge success in large part because of the core gaming audience. Do you really believe that soccer moms are the reason Mario Kart Wii sold over 30 million copies? Or as another poster mentioned if the Wii was a Wii Sports and Netflix machine, then why did it have one of the largest attach rates of any console ever made?
>>
>>3123885
Soccer moms and kids. How many copies did Xenoblade move?
>>
>>3123427
>that guy is untangling it and basically doing an entirely new game from scratch and adding in a ton of unique features to make the game play more like Mother 1's
that's impressive but it sounds like genuine autism (of the kind that makes you learn assembly language, not the kind that makes you draw sonic in a diaper) or abuse of adderall to obtain the required patience and focus.
>>
>>3122763
The original source was assembly.
>>
>>3123179
>The success of both consoles were a fluke.
I bet you think the Mega Drive was one, too.
>>
>>3123887
Almost a million globally and almost half a mill just in North America. Pretty damn good for a game that released in 2012 at the end of a console lifespan for a niche genre. Please gtfo already every single post makes you look more and more moronic.
>>
>>3123887
Also forgot to mention it would have sold even more if NOA hadn't been fucking retarded and made it a GameStop exclusive and fixed the scarcity issues.
>>
>>3123179
>mini-DVD's rather than normal DVD's
Yea I'm sure THAT's what killed the cube.
>>
>>3123181
Notice how I said nothing at all about him as a CEO in that post you spergosaurus rex, and that the post was entirely about him being an example of a good Japanese programmer.

Commit sudoku.
>>
>>3122960
>Cucked.com
Get some better material, holy shit.
>>
>>3123401
>If the Gamecube used normal DVD's
You know there was a technical reason for the mini-discs, right?
They dramatically cut down on loading times.
>>
>>3123970
If Cucked.com stopped trying, why should I dignify them with the effort they no longer put into their own work?
>>
>>3123452
By the time the PS2 was out around here, you could pick up cheap DVD players for about $30, considerably less than a console, that it played movies was just a bonus and the idea that it was a driving force behind it's sales is vastly exaggerated.
>>
>>3123179
>Iwata was a terrible fucking CEO
>let's ignore the fact that he was a great fucking programmer that most likely just got put into a position he wasn't fit for
>>
>>3123997
>Terrible CEO
>Literally made the company so much money they could lose money for the next 50 years and not go broke
>>
>>3123941
Probably, but no one coded in raw assembly throughout an entire project. You made EXTENSIVE use of the macro language. A large project from an experienced assembly programmer would look like some bastardised version of C to the neophytes expecting endless lists of INX, STY $66,X, JNE $5656. All of that is lost on assembly and the end result could be incomprehensible to the original author as well.
>>
>>3123978
Because le cuck meme is reddit cancer now.
>>
>>3124075
Yes but so is Cracked, so it goes well together.
>>
>>3124081
Cracked was always reddit.
>>
>>3122465
you know, I did feel like the quality of the content had dipped, but I didn't realise they had been bought out, I don't really pay attention to that sort of thing I suppose.
>>
How much of the gba mother 1+2 cart is translated?? Will I lose much if I play partially translated earthbound?
>>
>>3123427
That looks neat, to think that I was excited to play the 25th Anniversary Edition.
https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/Mother-25th-Anniversary-Edition/first
>>
>>3124089
You missed the red site days. It actually was worth a fuck before fuckwits like Gladstone started becoming the rule rather than the exception.
>>
>>3123906
hey, someone left a projector on the curb here
>>
>>3125650
nah, i'm closer to sonic-in-diapers than ASM thanks to comorbid ADHD and a lack of adderall.
>>
>>3125172
Please...
>>
>>3123179
The last paragraph is a bit fedora edgy but i agree with the rest. The ds and wii got lucky. The top selling games for these systems are nintendogs and wii fit. Devs flocked to the system because the install base created by the low price point and gimmick. Why isnt wiiu a super success? Because no gaems. 4chan, you should know this buy now! No gaems = no sales.

I love the ds, i play it religiously. The wii is great too. But i really think Nintendo is a stubborn company. It works for them.
>>
>>3123376
>a 6th gen console capable of running CoD and Fallout plus the addition of Nintendo games would of bombed completely

wew lad
>>
File: cod_mw3_wii_final1.jpg (250KB, 766x1076px) Image search: [Google]
cod_mw3_wii_final1.jpg
250KB, 766x1076px
>>3129023
It was capable of CoD as it was
>>
>>3123376
>So you're saying that if Nintendo had created a "me too" HD clone console, they would have done well competing with companies that have deeper pockets and who came off the back of more successful 6th gen consoles?

Sure as shit they would have done "well", they might have won the generation. The gamecube was successful enough just like the N64.

Your other comment "deeper pockets" is even more stupid. You can't just pour money into something and the more money you put in the more you will get out. If that were the case there would be one company doing everything and saying "I have deeper pockets I win" genius. It's only important that you have enough capital to invest in the research and development etc. so you can make it back later and Nintendo certainly had that. No, the whole underpowered thing was foolish from the start. Nintendo got lucky with the Wii, which kind of enabled their behaviour, and are paying for their mistakes badly now. Nintendo could EASILY have recovered from the kiddy lunchbox gamecube mistakes.

If you ask me Nintendo is nothing like the old days, all the old people and old spirit is gone. It happens with companies, they're not people and they're dramatically changing. It's a different company.
>>
Also, "HD clone"... what??? They had card after card going for them... well-known IPs, world class game designers, the general liking of Japanese things and how the large Japanese market refused to buy the xbox, SSBM that took off in a huge way.... they could have ALSO ate up all the 3rd party games like they used to do on the NES and destroyed the 6th gen and instead they've been throwing it all away.
>>
>>3129108
>The gamecube was successful enough just like the N64.

Successful? Sure it was profitable in the short-term, but it was obvious that Nintendo were on a downward trajectory. The video game market got much bigger in 6th generation and Nintendo actually went DOWN over 10 million sales from N64. It's obvious that something needed to change.

>You can't just pour money into something and the more money you put in the more you will get out. If that were the case there would be one company doing everything and saying "I have deeper pockets I win" genius

Right, because having more capital behind you isn't an advantage in any way. Business is all a zero-sum game right?

No, if you have deeper pockets then you can do things like strategic attempts at loss leading. If you want a great example, check out Microsoft's tactic in 6th generation. They lost over 3 billion dollars selling the Xbox under cost just in order to get their brand name out there.

How can Nintendo compete with such a tactic?

>Nintendo got lucky with the Wii

As said above in this thread, you have to have an IQ under 80 to believe Nintendo got "lucky" with the Wii considering it was also "lucky" with DS. Lightning doesn't strike twice - in a row.
>>
>>3129127
7th gen*
>>
>>3129128
>As said above in this thread, you have to have an IQ under 80 to believe Nintendo got "lucky" with the Wii considering it was also "lucky" with DS. Lightning doesn't strike twice - in a row.

eh...Nintendo was dominating the handheld market. It would take a pretty bad mess-up to lose that position. Also handhelds cater to a niche market that is mostly kids and teens. It was never supposed to push the boundaries of technology. The DS was interesting but most games ended up barely using the touch screen or dual screens. It wasn't the runaway success of the Wii.
>>
>>3122192
So nobody's actually going to help me out and tell me what this game is?
>>
>>3129163
THE WITCHER 3
>>
>>3129149
>eh...Nintendo was dominating the handheld market. It would take a pretty bad mess-up to lose that position

It was the first time Nintendo had legitimate competition in the handheld space since the early 90s - and the very first time ever that competition came from a competitor bigger than Nintendo themselves.

>The DS was interesting but most games ended up barely using the touch screen or dual screens. It wasn't the runaway success of the Wii.

What? There were 154 million DS console sold. That's level with the PS2.

And that's even better when you consider:

GBA sold 81 million - almost half of DS.

And the GBA didn't have any real competitors, unlike the DS which had the PSP - which itself sold 82 million machines.

The DS is no smaller of a success than the Wii. Not in the least.
>>
>>3129165
Thank you. If only the spergs at Cracked were as helpful as you.
>>
>>3129168
He meant that the touch controls were a novelty at best and many times unnecessary or downright nuisance (star fox command, pokemon ranger)
>>
>>3129171
Or that Mario 64 remake that was literally only good for the mini games, on account of the atrocious controls.
>>
>>3129168

I think people kind of forget that Nintendo has dominated the handheld market for the past 20 years.

It doesn't really matter that the N64 and Gamecube were behind Sony in terms of sales because they had that virtual monopoly the handheld market.
>>
>>3129175
My point is that the handheld market went from about 90 million consumers in the GBA era to 236 million customers in the DS era.

It's pretty clear that the market had an extremely rapid expansion, even if you take into account globalization and population growth. I think it's pretty much evidence that the DS was extremely successful at getting casuals playing video games - which was the whole point of the Wii strategy as well.

Lightning did strike twice in a row for Nintendo, but it was no accident. It was a very deliberate and extremely well executed strategy by Iwata.
>>
>>3129168
>It was the first time Nintendo had legitimate competition in the handheld space since the early 90s - and the very first time ever that competition came from a competitor bigger than Nintendo themselves.

What are you talking about "bigger competitor than Nintendo themselves". I already explained extensively that being bigger doesn't give any advantage in normal circumstances. That is a stupid comment to make "bigger competitor", totally meaningless. It's not a wrestling match and I have never heard anyone make a comment like that before. I really can't emphasize enough how stupid a conception that is.

Also I don't know what you mean by "legitimate competition"... all the other Sega, Atari and other handhelds were somehow not legitimate huh? Because they basically failed? But the PSP basically failed. You just seem to invent things as it suits your imagination.
>>
>>3129198
>What are you talking about "bigger competitor than Nintendo themselves". I already explained extensively that being bigger doesn't give any advantage in normal circumstances

Because you are thick as fuck, and not reading my earlier posts.

If a company is bigger than can afford more aggressive tactics. For example, if Microsoft created a handheld and priced it lower than Nintendo way under cost, they would artificially boost their sales at the expense of profits.

>Also I don't know what you mean by "legitimate competition"... all the other Sega, Atari and other handhelds

Again, you aren't reading my posts. I said, since the early 90s. I wasn't aware of a Sega or Atari handheld after that time period.

By the way, Nintendo of the time was a fair bit bigger than either of those companies.

>But the PSP basically failed.

I have no idea about the profits of the PSP, but assuming Sony did not sell for a loss, then I think it's a fair estimation that it was a reasonable success. Especially for a first time handheld console.
>>
File: 77153863_o.jpg (401KB, 2048x1529px) Image search: [Google]
77153863_o.jpg
401KB, 2048x1529px
>it's a /vr/ pretends they know about /biz/ thread

Come on guys, >>3123179 is most likely /v/ pasta and it got a lot of bites, not to mention derailed the thread. You can do better.
>>
>>3129216
sexy socks though
>>
>>3123585
because Hiroshi Yamauchi asked him to be president, and in Japan you don't say "No" to the company boss when he asks if you want to take the wheel.

Nintendo was a healthy company at the time, and it would be hard for Iwata to singlehandedly sink the ship. Beyond that, if he did say "No", he knew he'd never have the chance again.

Heck, even Shakespeare knew that much. "There is a tide in the affairs of men, Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries."
>>
>>3129215
>If a company is bigger than can afford more aggressive tactics. For example, if Microsoft created a handheld and priced it lower than Nintendo way under cost, they would artificially boost their sales at the expense of profits.

And I am telling you, that is nonsensical. There is an optimal amount to spend on everywhere that will make the most return for your buck. It would only become an issue if one company was so far in the red they could no longer keep liquidity at optimal spending capacities. Your idea of a bigger company beating a smaller but also massive multinational company is silly. Phillips and Sharp were probably as big as Sony at the time or still are and yet their consoles failed miserably despite being "the bigger companies". Nokia were a huge phone and other electronics company since the beginning of the mobile market, highly possibly bigger than Nintendo and look what happened their N-Gage. Did you expect Philips to blow away all the competition because they were "bigger"? That's not how it works.

>Again, you aren't reading my posts. I said, since the early 90s. I wasn't aware of a Sega or Atari handheld after that time period.

Oh well what are you even saying then, making such statements and then adding in all these clauses and exceptions so you're hardly saying anything at all.
>>
>>3123406
Was that before or after Sony publically embarrassed themselves with 599USD, giant enemy crabs, and real time weapons change?

And the funny thing is, PS3 did end up coming up at the top... eventually.
>>
>>3129325
>nov 2006
Yeah that was after, also love how a silly internet meme almost flunked an entire multinational company, and again in 2012 with the xboner.
>>
>>3129330
Sorry, the xboner was announced in 2013.
>>
>>3129325
>publically
Publicly. That's the second time I've had to do that on /vr/ recently.
>>
>>3129357
Both are accepted.
>>
>>3129376
No doubt as a result of dumbing down in the face of insurmountable public stupidity. I mean, no matter how much they have it explained to them at length, there still seems to be a huge proportion of people who simply cannot grasp how to use an apostrophe. I wouldn't be surprised if they did away with that soon. Or replaced it with a YOLOstrophe, which can be used wherever you like, as inconsistently as you like.
>>
>>3129325
PS3 neither came up top in sales (it's still like 20 million off the Wii) nor profits (Sony still lost more on the console than they earned).

As for game quality, well that's subjective.
>>
>>3129398
Why is basically accepted but publically is not?
>>
>>3129413
Because you touch yourself at night.
>>
File: 542.gif (106KB, 381x434px) Image search: [Google]
542.gif
106KB, 381x434px
>>3129419
Oldschool reference, bro.
>>
>>3129325
Hilariously it beat out the 360 despite half its sales were people buying it again because of RROD and the 360 had a one year head start on it.
>>
>>3129441
PS3's weren't entirely blameless. There was YLOD and their power supplies had a tendency to blow up.

360 like the Xbox before it and the Xbone after it just couldn't sell outside of USA. That was its biggest problem.
>>
>>3123437
i need this
>>
>>3129963
Looks so shiny.....
>>
>>3123418
This mythology. They just didn't want to pay for the DVD licensing because it would go right into Sony's pocket.
>>
>>3123289
DS literally stands for Dual Screen.
>>
I hate how crack portrays every little thing as some gigantic miracle. Just because no one knows exactly how the scripting language works doesn't mean it's a work of genius, it just means that reverse engineering it takes a lot more work
>>
>>3130361
Also don't forget the
>Even to modern programers
part.
I absolutely fucking hate it when people now is inherently cleverer than people in the past. 99% of the population wouldn't be able to prove than the world is round, making them just as stupid as people five thousand years ago.
>>
>>3130556
>I absolutely fucking hate it when people now is inherently cleverer than people in the past
when people assumes people is now*
>>
>>3129029
You are fucking stupid.
That's like posting the DS version of Modern Warfare 1 and using that as "proof" that it's capable of competing with the 360 and PS3.
>>
>>3130672
Hell, if you stripped down the graphics enough, you could probably make MW3 run on a Pentium 3. Other than advances in rendering, FPS engines really haven't changed much since the Quake era.
>>
>>3129408
Not true, Sony eventually made it into the black with ps3 sales, maybe a year or so before the PS4 came out?
They lost money on the launch systems, why else do you think they stripped out all of the PS2 hardware
>>
>>3130756
>Not true, Sony eventually made it into the black with ps3 sales

Not at all. Not sure where you are getting this idea from. Since 2010 SCE has been posting tiny profits (and not every year - a loss was posted in 2013 due to PS4 R&D/marketing costs and pathetic Vita sales), nothing of which has even come close to offsetting the gigantic 3 billion loss in 2007.
>>
>>3130558
>>3130556
That's true. People today can't figure out shit like the coding for things like Earthbound because the programming languages used for things like that are basically obsolete today. Also, they don't have the fucking source code so of course making sense out of it all would be difficult.
>>
>>3131132
It's only obsolete to kids who program websites in CSS. Any real man over the age of 40 can code assembly for any old school processors in his sleep. Unfortunately said real mean don't need a translation of earthbound and don't give a shit about kids who do.
>>
>>3130328
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3904/~/what-does-ds-stand-for%3F
>>
>>3129464
>implying YLOD was anywhere near as bad as RROD.

The real failure rate of 360's was estimated to be somewhere around 30%. Microsoft even got sued big time and they had to extend that warrenty to 3 years instead of the original 1 it came with. Despite all the people who went out and bought second and sometimes even third consoles, it still got clobbered by Sony.
>>
>>3131321
I haven't looked into the earthbound script too much, but doesn't it just have a shitload of hex identifiers before & after each string?

Couldn't you just run through whatever those things reference and convert it to a small db of sorts that you could then edit freely and (with a tool that does the reverse) convert back?
>>
>>3131359
From the 10 seconds I spent looking at it that's what it looks like. Like any data it could be decoded, mapped, whatever. It's probably not really easy, or someone would have done it already. But I suspect the main reason it hasn't been done is because the people who do translations that require any real skill can't be assed to do it for a few brazilian kids who can't learn english.
>>
>>3131334
Backronym.
>>
>>3131412
The game actually has been translated into Brazilian Portuguese though.
>>
>>3123991
>30$ DVD players at PS2 release

Not in Europe and I bet it wasn't true for the US as well.
Thread posts: 169
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.