[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ULTRA 64 appreciation thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 1459158688676.jpg (168KB, 1024x544px) Image search: [Google]
1459158688676.jpg
168KB, 1024x544px
>there is a parellel dimension where the ultra 64 with it's crispy, smooth silicon graphics was released in early 1994 just as planned
What would be different now?
>>
>>3096296
nothing it would have still used catridges. that means no rpgs for u.
>>
>>3096305
>what is FFVI
>>
>>3096308
>what is fvm cutscenes and cd audio every dev had a boner for in 1996.
>>
>>3096296
What is this Macross game? Shiny Reguld looks awesome, like it is metal-coated model.
>>
>1994
>those graphics

So it would have cost $10 000 and be the size of a workstation?
>>
>>3096325
It's a cancelled Robotech game.
>>
>>3096326
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKlbx5niBu8
thats the case
>>
>>3096337
>can't 360 degree rotate the game camera unless it's on a cartridge, it's just not possible with CD-ROM technology

how did they get away with this?
>>
>>3096296
Boy, I Sure Love Capital Letters.
>>
>>3096350
DVNO
>>
>>3096296
This is the exact moment people stopped listening to Nintendo about anything. SG Onyx or Indigo under the table or whatever...
>>
>>3096328
Crystal Dreams I believe it was sub titled. I remember hearing about this game as a lad and being stoked only to find out it never released. I believe there's a slightly stable ROM of the game online, but there's not much to it other than disappointment and unfinished potential.
Still looks like ass but damn it's cool to look at.
>>
>>3096565
oh wow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwL2tj3TZBg
>>
>>3096296
Those are pre-rendered screens. This is how the actual working prototype of Robotech looked like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGT3lqdV6fk
>>
>>3096648
2m3s in and I'm laughing my ass off
>>
>>3096338
I wonder what does that actually mean.
>>
>>3096657
Probably that the game world is streamed in off the cart on demand and they can't see that working with a CD encumbered by seek times and slow transfer rates. Sure, there were CD based games with streaming worlds but this came at either a cost of complexity where the maps were defined in chunks and you had to limit the range of objects that could be in each grid sector or you crash bandicoot it and forbid the player from getting off the rail you need them on.
>>
>>3096769
But it's really only a problem when you have a lack of RAM to cache the CD-ROM data. The Playstation and Saturn weren't so starved that you couldn't even rotate the camera without the CD-ROM revving up for a new stream of info.

Huh, I guess maybe in 1994 with RAM being more expensive and rationed maybe it did seem like a big deal.
>>
>>3096769
>I have no idea what I'm talking about, the post
>>
>>3096396
I remember the slew of blurry photos of VHS tapes from the SGI demos and imagined just how amazing it was going to look in person. Turns out just as blurry as it looked in the magazines. So it may have been a rigged demo but it was true to life! :P
>>
>>3096781
Sure it had its weaknesses (mostly in terms of polygons and resolution), but SGI did manage to deliver every feature they promised.

Trilinear mip map interpolation made it in. So did anti-aliasing. Even kick-ass lighting was possible (see Conker).
>>
>>3096778
How so?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.