[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

your opinion on sonic xtreme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (104KB, 519x377px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104KB, 519x377px
>>
It was X-treme.
>>
With the Nights engine, could have probably been okay. I dunno about some of these "leaked" versions I've seen.
>>
>>3094694
Sonic was at his peak popularity at this time right after CD and S3&K. I remember magazine ads at the time and loved the mysterious tone Sonic games had. I loved the mecha/metal sonic designs and Xtreme was going to continue this. I wish the American devs of Xtreme got more help so maybe the shitty modern sonic design would have been avoided.
>>
It would have been one of the more popular games on the Saturn, but the console itself would still be trailing behind PS1 and N64 in terms of sales.
>>
>>3095472
How is Modern Sonic's design shitty?
>>
>>3095478
blue arms
>>
It was (going to be) the Sonic 2006 of the '90s.
>>
>>3095478
and it begins. It looks like shit targeted to the urban edgy wiggers of 2000 who listened to Limp Bizkit.
>>
>>3095485
CWC pls go, and pls stop calling Boom Sonic "Modern Sonic".
>>
Unrelated but did you guys like Generations? I felt the levels were okay, nicely colorful and some good designs, but reusing them with challenges feels lazy and I'm not a huge fan of the 2d levels in that game. Overall it's aight but what do you think?
>>
>>3095487
It's stylish and gives off a unique "Sonic" vibe that's hard to describe.
>>
I think it would have slightly improved the Saturn's outlook if it were a launch title.

I would have wanted a Saturn at least. The game looks legitimately awesome even if it's just a faster version of Bug! with a fish eye lens.

I was going to say that 2.5D platformers aren't really that remembered anyway but I forgot about Crash Bandicoot. Albeit, Crash is overrated.
>>
>>3095460
It would've been fine on its own engine too, if they were allowed to complete it.

The problem was that they only ever had a couple of tech demos, and some gimmicks for each level, but no actual level design or gameplay ideas.
>>
>>3095512
that vibe is called fugly
>>
>>3094694
vaporware

the remnants of the game don't really resemble anything that's fun to play, game should have just been developed internally at SOJ
>>
X-treme meme
>>
I'm glad we got NiGHTS instead of another Sonic rehash. The series peaked at CD anyways.
>>
>>3095487

I like early 2000 shit. fight me bitch

i'll come at you like a freight train and I don't give a shit about your he said she said bullshit
>>
File: Sonic_Jam_world.png (167KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_Jam_world.png
167KB, 320x224px
If they didn't go crazy and do what they did with Sonic Adventure, that little engine showcase in Sonic Jam would certainly be enough to develop a pretty good Sonic game.

Sonic just looks fucking cute in low poly.
>>
>>3097359
The Saturn wouldn't be able to handle a 3D Sonic game without having Sonic move at half a mile an hour.
>>
>>3097535
>The Saturn wouldn't be able to handle a 3D Sonic game without having Sonic move at half a mile an hour.

Sonic R says hi.

And that wasn't even using all that the Saturn could do.
>>
>>3097359
>Sonic just looks fucking cute in low poly.
yup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpB-CjPEz0c
>>
>>3097551
Levels are small and loop in on them self.
>>
>>3094694
It's not having come out is the single reason the saturn failed.
>>
>>3097559
I love Sonic the Fighters' graphics. Shame they never made another game with them.
>>
>>3094694
I honestly think it looks pretty awful. It's disorientating and a little too experimental. They were going to try to do four different styles in total, which explains how Sonic Adventure turned out.
>>
>>3097649
If moderately sizeable levels + speed is your concern you just need to look at NiGHTS, it handles well the loading/unloading of the polygon chunks that are visible on screen.

Also made by Sonic Team if that's relevant

I don't think there is a particular reason why the Saturn couldn't handle a proper Sonic game.

But of course they would have to get a little creative, lot's of repeated assets and whatnot
>>
>>3097705
>it handles well the loading/unloading of the polygon chunks that are visible on screen
What are you talking about? You can't see two feet in front of you in NiGHTS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqm019xZif8
A tiny draw-distance doesn't negatively affect NiGHTS because you only need to see what's on the X-axis and Y-axis, but in a 3D Sonic game you would also need to see far ahead of yourself on the Z-axis.
>>
>>3097729
why would it need to be free roaming 3d? Sonic should be on a track similar to nights. Fixed perspective would have been fine. They fucked up by trying to cram in extra cinematic bullshit to outdo mario 64.
>>
>>3097729
Well I guess we are arguing different positions. I was thinking more of side scrolling platformer like the classic sonic games and maybe mix it with a couple over the shoulder camera in some more contained sections.
>>
It's obvious the game was going nowhere plus I can't stand the ugly western sonic world design STI was pushing. Still the Saturn desperately needed a killer app; SEGA should have slapped Sonic Team into submission instead of letting Yuji Naka do his faggy pet project Nights.
>>
>>3097759
or maybe SOJ could have not been jelly faggots and sent people to help finish the development after finishing Nights.
>>
>>3097759
I love NiGHTS but it's pretty obvious that wasn't going to be a killer app that the masses would gush over. What's worst he then goes off to make Burning Rangers, which again I love, but damn, SEGA really needed that Sonic game to be able to pull off the Saturn. It's kinda shitty to just put everything riding on him, but he was really needed.

I mean, imagine the opposite, just try and imagine a Nintendo console without a proper Mario game, hell, even a Zelda Game.

Then again, we know what Sonic Adventure turned out to be, so he'd probably just fuck it up anyway.
>>
>>3097762
Sonic X-treme was doomed from the start,. They should have left the game direction to the japs instead of shoving it to western literally whos.
>>
>>3097798
What really fucked the western devs was they went through like 5 different sonic game concepts for genesis-32x-saturn and had to start over multiple times. talk about poor fucking management.
>>
>>3097798
Well they did make Comix Zone, so they outputted at least one absolutely amazing game. Kid Chameleon and Sonic Spinball were okay.
>>
>>3097817
Spinball was fucking great for a budget game developed in half a year, Comix Zone was stellar, and they also did The Ooze which was at the very least extremely unique.

As I recall they also worked on Die Hard Arcade, but I'm not sure at what capacity.

Xtreme never would've become a good game because their management was completely fubar. They spent months doing demos on the NV1 hardware for one. Sega in 1995-6 was a total clusterfuck.

For what is worth the STI developers were wizard level coders, and later they did dev kits for Saturn and Dreamcast. The reason why Saturn devkits became better from 1996 onwards was largely due to them. The 3d transparencies you saw in Burning Rangers? They came up with that. They also did environmental mapped bump mapping on the Saturn.
>>
File: tiara.png (143KB, 595x391px) Image search: [Google]
tiara.png
143KB, 595x391px
What did you think of sonics new gf Tiara Boobowski?
>>
>>3097829
>The 3d transparencies you saw in Burning Rangers? They came up with that.
The fuck. Wasn't Burning Rangers using the NiGHTS engine and didn't Yuji Naka refused to give them the NiGHTS engine for Sonic X-Treme?
>>
>>3097781
>I love NiGHTS but it's pretty obvious that wasn't going to be a killer app that the masses would gush over. What's worst he then goes off to make Burning Rangers

Reminds me of Nintendo with Wind Waker. Gamecube desperately needed a more realistic looking Zelda to help its Western sales but they took the gamble on toon shading. While it looked nice, it had very niche appeal.

Giving Nintendo a financial boost was literally the only reason Twilight Princess was developed. They've even owned up to that fact.
>>
>>3097840
Yep, perfect example. I fucking love how Wind Waker looks, but most people just aren't into that gay chinese shit.

Too bad they kind of took the hint and made everything drab and desaturated in Twilight Princess. The scenery is just so lacking in color for a Zelda game.
>>
>>3097835
the difference is burning rangers was actually made by Sonic Team, while sonic x-treme was some outsourced shit to baka gaijin
>>
>>3097850
You're like 4 steps behind this conversation
>>
>>3097835
>Wasn't Burning Rangers using the NiGHTS engine and didn't Yuji Naka refused to give them the NiGHTS engine for Sonic X-Treme?

True on both counts but neither of them have anything to do with it.

STI got folded into sega of America as generic developers, they worked on devkits, came up with the technique to rasterize transparent polys on the VDP2, this made it into internal memos/devkits, and Burning Rangers ended up using it.
>>
>>3094694
Looks like it would have been more fun to play than Adventure.
>>
>>3094694
The demos and everything playable of this is pretty meh but if the game ever got released it would have been worth playing with all the experimental and kind of surreal feel the final product would have.

The real problem was direction though so i don't think the series lost something of amazing value.

Saturn really needed a real sonic game though, they could have taken ideas from this and sonic R and make a full game out of it.
>>
>>3097359
Yeah low poly sonic is best design.
>>
>>3099592
I don't know he looks mad all the time on the saturn games
>>
>>3097221
You grew up deepthroating gogurt, whinging along to linkin park and using the word 'tight'.

You're overcoddled spawn of a diabetic hamplanet. Now sit back down.
>>
I'm surprised no one's tried to make a shitty indie platformer in the style of X-Treme.
>>
>>3099730
ProjectAXSX
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.