[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NTSC vs. PAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: so wrong it hurts.png (102KB, 645x471px) Image search: [Google]
so wrong it hurts.png
102KB, 645x471px
Anyone here from Europe and actually felt the game played/sound wrong or did you guys think that's how it should be at the time? Anyone here actually have a hard time playing older games at their normal speed because you were so use to your TV rate?
>>
Asutralia-kun's handle is andreasaspenberg575?
>>
Good day, Australia kun.
>>
I think the music sounds better on Sonic 1 when it's slowed down. Most games I don't even notice slowdown whether it's PAL or not. The only game where I find the slowdown quite bad is the original Phantasy Star on Master System.
>>
The differences in speed tend to really stand out when compared side by side, but if you don't know a game particularly well it's often quite hard to notice. Not all games are affected by that, but I'm sure I've played a bunch of games that were slower and I haven't noticed. I know for a fact I've played some games that seem slowed down but are actually running at the "correct" speed.

The only game I've played where it's been slow enough for me to actually notice is FFX which I found horrible to play as a result.

Also sage, because this thread sucks already.
>>
Never noticed as a kid, now I have a modded console sometimes it's hard to know which speed is correct. I just use ntsc unless there's an obvious problem with it. I'm sure I've played plenty of games at 60 that ahould be at 50
>>
60hz for games designed for 60hz, 50hz for games designed for 50hz. Easy.
>>
>>3094574
I imported all my non-portable games for this reason. 50Hz is always shit. Even if it was designed for 50Hz, it's still unacceptable, and I speed it up to 60Hz.
>>
>>3094918
Why not 120hz?
>>
>>3094947
If it's variable frame rate, why not 144Hz? But console games are not, and they are too hard to control at double speed (although 72Hz can be fun).
>>
>>3094958
Is it better to just overclock the CPU?
>>
It had no impact on pitch, and so did not sound wrong. I only found out that the music was slow much later on, when growing up and when emulators started to be widespread (was a bit surprised the first time I tried Genecyst).
>>
>>3094968
That is unrelated to refresh rate, but it is sometimes helpful to prevent slowdown. It breaks some games that use cycle counting for timing.
>>
>>3094574
What game are they talking about in the screencap? There are instances where andreasaspenberg575 is correct.
>>
I just got Persona 4 on my PS2 and the game feels slow as fuck, so I spent some money I had on my American PSN account and bought the game on my PS3, this time the US version, and the game actually plays like Persona 3 did, not lagging all the time and "feeling weird".

I never had this problem with any other game though.
>>
>>3094615
>the music sounds better on Sonic 1 when it's slowed down
It's not better, but not worse. Whichever one you were used to will sound better to you. Hearing the PAL version of some themes just drives me nuts, and I'm sure it's the same for PAL hearing NTSC songs.
>>
>>3094574
Eh, I noticed when I was playing an action game that was slow though I didn't know the reason. 'Why'd they make MD Sonic 1 so slow?' Luckily only a handful of good games suffer from slowdown, dispite what the memesters will have you believe.
>>
>>3094574
NTSC gaems are to fast for my 50hz euro brain.
>>
>>3095138
Mega Man Legacy Collection
>>
>>3095171
Yeah, I realise that. It only sounds better to me because it's what I was always used to. I do genuinely think the "Special Stage" theme has more effect when it's slowed down though.
>>
this again ?

pal60 > ntsc > pal
>>
>>3094574
This is why I only play bootlegs of NTSC versions since I got the first American game playing in like 2006. I couldn't go back. The video looked weirder to me in the beginning but it was so much faster and more fluid that I couldn't turn back. I only play American or Japanese versions of games ever since. PAL60 if available, but for certain systems I can't get those, so I'm stuck with NTSC-U or NTSC-J most of the time.
>>
>>3094574

Just get both if you're a europoor. One that's easier to hook up on your CRT and another for fast paced games.
>>
>>3094574
The thing I noticed the most were the black bars top and bottom. Long before I realised we were getting poorly optimized versions I would wonder why we couldn't have an image that filled the whole screen.

During the ps1 era I learned from game mags that the PAL versions were inferior, so began getting a little bit annoyed. I think the first time I noticed about speed was in FF7, when you press triangle for menu it comes up sluggishly. That just felt wrong to me and put two and two together with what the game mags were complaining about.

Fast forward a few years- I was so annoyed with the way Tidus ran (like every stride was being unnaturally prolonged) that I researched game hacking and the so-called PAL2NTSC, y-x fix codes. These did fix the speed issues, but left stuttering CG cut-scenes. I could always just watch the movies on tube so at least now I have a compromise.
>>
>>3094574

I made my own pal conversion of xenogears for playstaystation because it wasn't released in europe. Took like 1 hour to find a tool for it and make it work (can't imagine why they didn't make an official release of it when it was so easy). Playing the NTSC on a PAL tv is kinda annoying, the frame rate and resolution gives an irritating feel, it's flickering and feels too bright.
>>
>>3099089
All I can think of is trying to play Tower of Babel with frame rate issues.
>>
The only system I've noticed slowdown on is my PAL SMS, which isn't an issue because I only need to change the system.
I import almost everything else save for some PAL exclusive PS1 games. Which is odd: I don't notice slowdown on PAL PS1 games like Diablo and Azure Dreams. Maybe I'm just slow myself.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.