[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Wizardry titles good to introduce someone to retro wRPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 618058-wizardry6_charon_1_[1].gif (22KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
618058-wizardry6_charon_1_[1].gif
22KB, 640x400px
Are Wizardry titles good to introduce someone to retro wRPGs or will I get my shit pushed in?
>>
This is a troll, right?

Assuming it isn't, I take it you mean W6 and NOT the old 8-bit Wizardrys.
>>
both
>>
>>3093587
No, I'm not trolling. But I've only played some fairly modern (seemingly, easier) dungeon crawlers like M&M7 and SMT/Persona and I wanted to look for opinions on whether the Wizardries are worth playing and which is the good one to try out.
>>
>>3093596
You don't want to play W1-5, you really, really don't.
>>
>>3093598
Why wouldn't he?
>>
>>3093598
Wizardry 1 is actually a decent introduction just because it's so short and simple.
>>3093596
If you don't feel like mapping yourself, why not try the earlier Might and Magics like World of Xeen. But Wiz6 is a fun game to start as well.
>>
>>3093607
I don't think any human being in this day and age has the patience (or insanity) to play those things.
>>
>>3093619
The first Wizardry trilogy is pretty great if you want to learn the fundamentals of the genre the hard way, it's nothing trascendental, it just requires you to play carefully, the only Wizardry game that will make you go insane is IV, for very good reasons though.
>>
File: tg-designs-a-setting.png (27KB, 244x192px) Image search: [Google]
tg-designs-a-setting.png
27KB, 244x192px
>>3093619
I'm enjoying what I'm playing of Wizardry 1 so far. I like the cartographic elements to it -- it gives you a goal other than just "get as deep as you can". This means you can explore and map out area until you begin to run out of resources, then turn back and head the the exit before anything bad happens, and consider it a successful run. A hard-as-balls game can be made more palatable and digestible if it's conducive to the player making their own goals and taking the game at their own pace.

Wizardry's lack of save points in the maze and high penalties for death, contrasted with its comparatively low cost for retreat, encourage you to take the game at a slower pace, heading into the maze with a specific goal in mind and then leaving once that goal is accomplished. This also has the benefit of hiding much of the required grinding behind those repeated excursions. Whatever grinding isn't hidden behind exploration becomes one of the "specific goals" itself -- once you've built up enough confidence to explore deep into the farther parts of the first dungeon level, you can say "I'm gonna go kill Murphy's Ghost again," and then when you do so you consider it a successful run.

Etrian Odyssey has the exploration and manual cartography elements, but it's got a focus on skill trees and character optimization that would make permadeath features much harsher, meaning that "brute-force exploration" -- diving down into the dungeon as far as you can until you get wiped in order to map as much of it as possible -- is now a much more viable option. And since it's more difficult to get lost in Etrian Odyssey, your maps aren't as much of a lifeline as they are in Wizardry. I've almost got this weird emotional attachment to my Wizardry maps, and in turn the in-game areas they represent.
>>
>>3093587
Starting with 6 will still get your shit pushed in. Even with a bard in your starting party you face big opposition in the castle and it rarely eases up on the pressure.
It's effectively harder than the previous games because you can't replace characters that outlived their worth. Reviving is also extremely limited.
Controls, graphics and sound on the IBM are also offputting.

5 is overall more open to beginners but even there you will have a hard time without much previous experience.
>>
>>3094307
>Controls, graphics and sound on the IBM are also offputting
So he should play the Amiga version instead?
>>
>>3094313
Amiga, PC98, FM Towns are all the same shit.
Get the SFC port, there's a English patch available. You mainly miss the ability to export to 7 and some EGA nudity.
>>
>>3093585
I liked Might & Magic 1 over Wizardry 1, personally.
>>
yeah, no way should old school wizardry be your first step into classic wRPGs. if you must play a wizardry, make it 8. it has all the depth and difficulty of classic wizardry, while leaving obtuse interfaces and maps-on-fucking-graph-paper on the cutting room floor.

stop being a faggot and just go play world of xeen. that's perfect with what you need right now, plus it's one of the best games ever.
>>
>>3094398
Manual mapping can be fun and more useful than automaps.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.