[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I purchased Earthworm Jim 2 for the Super Nintendo on Ebay. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: 2016-03-25-11-12-36-1746693823.jpg (15KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-25-11-12-36-1746693823.jpg
15KB, 300x168px
I purchased Earthworm Jim 2 for the Super Nintendo on Ebay. I know the first one is superior on the Genesis but what console is it better on ultimately when it comes down to the SNES and Genesis? If it is really better on Genesis, I'll just buy it on Genesis.
>>
Eh, there is no "vastly superior" version. The superior version of the first game is on the Sega CD because it has more content, but EWJ2 is pretty good on both Genesis and SNES, the only big difference I remember was that the first level had an orange background on Genesis and a blue/purple background on SNES (which I liked better). I also found the SNES version to have the best controls, out of all versions actually.
If you want the best version in terms of visuals/sound, then that's the Saturn version, but the gameplay was kind of fucked on that one. You're good with the SNES one.
>>
File: Review215 EWJ2 Saturn screens.png (289KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
Review215 EWJ2 Saturn screens.png
289KB, 500x368px
They only changed some backgrounds in the CD versions, not really worth it. Besides Tangerines and Lorenzo's the new arranged tracks aren't particularly great either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2BLJZnqq4U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU-jc13oYMY
>>
>>3089317
One particularly good change, though, the CD versions give you a traditional password if you collect all those weird panel items instead of the awkward level skip you would get in the cart versions.
>>
>>3089317
Sorry to shitpost in your thread, OP but I don't want to make a whole thread about this but is the first Earthworm Jim supposed to be easy? I end up with around 16 extra lives (counting continues) by the time I get to, "Snot a Problem" but holy shit, Round 3 kicks my ass every time. Is there some kind of tactic involved with that round or is it just about luck with the spacing?

I think it would be best to buy Earthworm 2 on SNES. The system should be able to support the game a little better than the Genesis.
>>
More differences
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHQ1Y4scnsQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf71TsGpNrw
>>
>>3089352
Be aggressive when it's not spinning and block it against the walls, to be honest I found that boss to be entirely luck based.
>>
File: earthwormjimcomingtovc.jpg (39KB, 490x340px) Image search: [Google]
earthwormjimcomingtovc.jpg
39KB, 490x340px
>>3089317
I love the SNES version. Also loved his appearance in Clayfighters.
>>
>not getting the mustard race version
>>
>>3089359
The one that doesn't exist, good stuff.
>>
>>3089357
It's a least slightly reassuring to see someone else that might consider it luck based. I'm going to be more aggressive and get the hits in when I can. Thank you for your reply.
>>
>>3089352
For snot a problem 3 he follows your moves what I found out is immediately when you start to fall, move yourself as close to the rocks and move as high up as the screen can go. He will go underneath you and once you feel comfortable drop down to his level and hit him to the wall and keep going back and fourth from the left and right of the screen. It is kinda hard to properly explain.
>>
Saturn version.

But otherwise the SNES version of 2, though 1 is better on Genesis.
>>
How do you fuck up putting the subject in the name field?
>>
>>3089407
More of a lurker than a poster
>>
>>3089362
There is a DOS version.
>>
>>3089402
Kick-ass. I'm going to give this tactic a shot. Thank you very much for input, anon. I've been getting so frustrated with it. Like, the first 2 rounds are pretty easy but I get to Round 3 and the frustration factor hits critical. It's such a good game and I want to give it the attention it deserves but holy shit, I've beaten some hard games but this 1 specific fight is just something I can't seem to wrap my head around.
>>
Yeah no problem I had to constantly keep re-doing the first 3 levels multiple times to learn that tactic but I honestly get past that every time now.
>>
>>3089412

Not of EWJ2
>>
>>3089409
That doesn't help
>>
>>3089434
Yes, there is.
>>
>>3089492

No
>>
>>3089492
DOS EWJ is shit
>>
EWJ 2?

PC or Playstation.
>>
>>3091523

Saturn.

PS1 is missing scrolling effects on the backgrounds.
>>
>>3089317
SNES version has the best graphics, Saturn and PC versions have the best music.

PC version is missing one or two levels.

Saturn version has completely different backgrounds, most of them being worse than the originals (I cannot fathom why, give how powerful the Saturn is at doing background effects).

Genesis version is, in this case, a downgrade from the SNES one in almost every way, except some of the music tracks which sound better on the original hardware.

Some of the backgrounds are different between different ports too, like the last level which is totally different between Genesis and SNES, and the Blind Cave Salamander where the Genesis has an extra special effect (it starts wobbling around the ENTIRE screen).

Really, EWJ2 is one of those games that does not have a definitive edition, every different port (except the PC one...) takes advantage of the hardware in some unique way that the others don't.

The cd music in the Saturn is great though.
>>
>>3089434
>>3089618
EWJ2 DOS definitely exist, I've played it. It has each music recorded multiple times in a single track for some reason - probably to prevent the game freezing for a split second while repeating the track, some early PCs were notorious for that.

It is also missing one of the game levels completely. I don't remember which one though. I think it was Lorenzo's Soil.
>>
>>3091551
>Saturn version has completely different backgrounds, most of them being worse than the originals

But they aren't worse. They've got many extra effects missing from the other versions.

The Playstation version is like the Saturn version without the good graphical stuff.
>>
>>3091573

My problem with the Saturn version is that it doesn't controls as good as on the SNES. The best way to test this is on the puppy love stage, on SNES I can do it pefectly, but the Saturn version is really slippery. Then there was also something about the shooting, I think on the SNES you could keep shooting in any direction you pointed even if you let go the d-pad. On the Saturn you can shoot at any direction but only if you're pressing the directional, otherwise Jim goes back to normal position.

Oh and also, EWJ2 on Saturn is missing the "well done" cows easter egg (that is, being able to make them speak in different pitch pressing different buttons).

The backgrounds and graphics in general look great to me on Saturn though, but the SNES is probably the overall best version.
>>
>>3091573
>But they aren't worse. They've got many extra effects missing from the other versions.

Only one or two of them have extra effects, and some do at the expense of other effects that were in there in the SNES version.

Some of the backgrounds are outright horrible on the Saturn version. Puppy Love has linescroll on the SNES, giving it a nice 3d look. Saturn version instead has 2-3 parallax layers and no linescroll. Not to mention that the entire background was changed out to a garish orange theme.

Saturn one looks best on screenshots, but in motion, the SNES version has better backgrounds. Megadrive version instead has extra special effects that none of the other versions have.
>>
>>3091589
Actually it might be because the Saturn version is optimized for PAL.

I've played it in PAL you see. Way way back I do actually recall some people saying that the NTSC version controls wrong because it wasn't optimized for NTSC. Something like that.
>>
>>3091607

That would be weird since the PS1/Saturn version was developed by a californian studio.
>>
>>3091610
Supposedly it's linked to the whole thing with the PS1 version being exclusive to PAL.

Like that EJ2 was ported to 32 bit consoles for the benefit of the PAL market primarily.
>>
>>3089317
Retard, you already bought it. Just play the one you bought.
>>
>>3091613
Nah, EWJ2 was a very late 16-bit game, the 32bit consoles were already out and climbing up in popularity, so it made sense to port it - especially since the port was outsourced (to a team that did a mediocre job).

I think the only reason why there wasn't a USA PS1 release is because Sony USA had a policy to not release 2d games, unless they were compilations or had 3d effects and 2d gameplay.

Also, the 32bit ports were also released in japan. No idea how well they did over there. The Saturn version was definitely released there.
>>
>>3091643
>I think the only reason why there wasn't a USA PS1 release is because Sony USA had a policy to not release 2d games

Well, that would have alone probably influenced whether PAL or NTSC would be the focus.
>>
>>3091714

I don't think PAL otpimization is the reason why EWJ2 on PS1/Saturn doesn't controls as good as the SNES version.
The same problems are still there in both PAL and NTSC versions of it.
>>
>>3091719
The issue is that the NTSC version has its frames sped up. I think that would contribute to control problems.

I do remember distinctly a while ago that some people said the NTSC version is distorted in the same way that PAL versions are usually distorted.
>>
>>3091752

It's just because the team that handled the port wasn't the original and they fucked up some aspects.
Not being able to have fix shooting isn't related to frame speed.
>>
>>3089425
OK I just beat EWJ on Genesis for the first time five minutes ago, and I will say your aggravation is normal, that is by far the most annoying part of the whole game and it seems totally impossible until you get the hang of it. Basically you have to stay very close to the wall to lure him in, the other anon explained it properly.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.